CoreCivic
Happiness rating is 49 out of 100

CoreCivic Job Security & Advancement reviews: Correctional Officer

Featured review
CoreCivic selected this as a representative review
Great job with great opportunities.Benefits are great also. Corrections are not for everyone but if you enjoy it go for it. I’ve learned that the sky is the limit in corrections and you can go as far as you want to go
Official response from CoreCivic
May 18, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your review and comments.
Avoid this place. Worst decision of my life. This place does not pay as much as a state run facility, deny bonuses, require you to work on days off disguised as revised days. Can't call in on revised days as they are still written in on the schedule. Promotions are a joke.
Pros?
Cons
The absolute worst company working in the U.S. If you want to see a warzone on American soil feel free to sign up. Someone dies in a CoreCivic facility at least every 6 months.
Pros
Cons
Time you are given to sleep is spent stressing about returning
If you enjoy having a life with your family, don't work here. They do not care if you work 3 16 hour shifts in a row and work yourself to sleep deprivation. Career advancement is based off favoritism. No time to see your family what so ever. They love mandation.
Pros
greay pay
Cons
everything else
I worked here for 16 years only one raise and know real bonus. The management will lie and tell you what you want to here but really don't care about you.
Pros
Cons
never get raise
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
At least 2 people get attacked by inmates every month and the warden does nothing about it. They fired or ran off all of the good people here and the ones left are trying to get out. It’s just a matter of time before an employee gets killed.
Pros
There are some good people here.
Cons
Management does not care about employees, people get hurt all the time.
A long travel to and from the work site. Never know when you will be off if an issue was to come about during the day. Supervisors were very good at their jobs.
My job experience at whiteville correctional was amazing if I didn’t have to relocate to oxford I’d love to of stayed so I’m trying to find something in the same job field area
This place was very unprofessional from the manager to the supervisors.This place just was not ran how it should've been and it was a lot going on.But I heard the main person has left that was causing all of the issues.
They try to sell you such a glamorous position during the interview and even during the training. What they don’t tell you is that you’ll have to work 12 hour days MANDATORY. They also can call you to come in early or wait until the end of your shift to tell you you’re staying over. They try to sell how they’re all about you’re safety, yet through the whole training they emphasize how much you could get fired by not doing what you’re supposed to, especially since the cameras are always watching. I don’t know how true this is when officers basically let detainees get away with anything because they’re tired/overworked/ or don’t care. They take advantage of good workers, but let bad ones get away with so much. They try to sweep everything under the rug by reminding you of how much they pay you. There is no work-life balance. If you have a family, you’ll never see them/spend time with them. And you don’t get to choose which shift you’ll be working, since they’re so understaffed and everyone is fighting to get a break from so much overtime by trying to get to working day shift. A lot of officers/managers treat the inmates like animals. They don’t offer detainees any programs besides recreation time, yet they wonder why they’re rioting, stabbing, fighting, making weapons, or alcohol. It’s also kinda interesting how they don’t EVER serve fruit to detainees NOR sell fruit in commissary, yet some detainees have apples or oranges for their religious alters. Hmm, corrupt officers I think. And I was supposed to feel safe?? Also, you only get two ten minute breaks, but by the time you - more...
Good place work you want be doing anything but I wanna do more and earn more money and actually get raises because I never had raise since I been there
There is a lot of favoritism, lack of professionalism, Union is mostly against you. There is no room for advancement. They mandate you a lot. You spend more time working than time with your own families.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything
While working for CCA (CoreCivic) in Conneaut, OH they had very poor management and did not look after their Officers. They would rather find ways to punish them vs finding ways to award them. So here is a little example as to what I mean. While I worked here this was my first ever job, I had a family emergency that I needed the a day off for and I let a Shift Supervisor know 24 hours in advance which was well over the time allotted in the policy. Also I had FMLA available to use. Instead of doing the professional thing my Supervisor and Assistant Supervisor decided to bring me into the office yelling at me then telling me, If I called off I would be suspended and told me that a suspension meant I would come to work with no pay. (I knew that was a lie and illegal even being my first job). Another example is when I put in my two weeks notice, I put in for vacation time that carried out through the two weeks. On the last three days it was my scheduled days off and I was starting my new job on the last day. I had asked if I could turn in my employee I.D. early to get it out of the was and the HR Rep was glad to help and told me it was no big deal I asked for reassurance to make sure I wasn't violating my 2 week noticed and the HR Rep stated that I was not and that I was more than welcome to come back to reemployment when ever. I did in fact come back a few months later and when I called to ask I if I needed to reapply and was told by the same HR Rep that I was terminated from reemployment because I violated my two weeks notice by not completing all two weeks. Sorry for the - more...
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Bad management
Whiteville Prison was a very good place to work. It gave me a chance to learn the job and grow more about people such as you should never judge a book by its cover and how to deal with stress at a different level over all it was a good place to work
job closed down but loved it wish I could go back worked there for years taught me a couple of things about security.would love to go back. if it was open
Overall Core Civic did help with the bills but I went there for a career and for schooling. When I applied and finally got in I started asking about the schooling that they told us about in orientation and the acted like they didn't know what I was talking about when they had given us a booklet on how to get back in school the the prison system.
If you leave make sure you don't make them angry because they will black ball you and you'll have a heck of a time finding another job. I left in August and here it is almost December and no one will touch me.
I would go back there if I'm able to. I did enjoy working there. I would do the job if they hire me back. Properly trained staff. Good response to any emergency
Great place to work if you want to start a career in corrections. Good benefits and pay for the area. You are able to build a good relationship with fellow officers.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Aggressive inmates or confrontation within pod
This place provides a great place to start your career in corrections. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and travel to other facilities throughout the US.
nothing to say I am not in a position to comment on the company The positions require a lot of overtime and you are just a body for them to place in a position
Official response from CoreCivic
October 15, 2018
Thank you for your feedback. Every employee matters and is important at CoreCivic. Please voice your opinion and speak up you will be heard.