Corizon Health Employee Reviews

Management is unqualified
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 22, 2019
Management is very unqualified for her position. Changes schedules with out notification. Favors employees who stand around or go for hour walks on company time over employees who actually work. Management promise promotion and never delivers, no room for moving up in the company. Was actually told to leave my duties for other shifts!! Nurses have more schooling than current manager. Management fires people not based on performance but her own personal bullying vendetta
Stressful at times
Mental Health Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 15, 2019
My supervisor created a very uncomfortable work environment. The pay and benefits were equitable. Working with corrections staff was professional and created a feeling of staff safety.
Pros
Working with corrections staff was professional
Cons
The unit supervisor created a very uncomfortable work environment
Do not work through Corizon
Qualified Mental Health Professional (Former Employee) –  MissouriMarch 14, 2019
Horrible, toxic environment for staff and inmates. They have no respect or compassion for inmates with mental health issues, which is 80-90% of their population. Inmates can be clearly psychotic and they will have to wait weeks for medications. In the mean time they get in trouble and are thrown in the "hole" - segregation, only for their mental illness to manifest. Inmates that deal with suicide ideation are treated like animals, locked away naked in cells with no mattresses or anything and if they act up (oh jeez, maybe because they are mentally ill) they do not even get a regular sack meal, they get a "meal loaf." God forbid you act as an advocate for your patients in this setting.
Angry patients can be sent away, but management may not really understand all your job entails
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Florence, AZMarch 12, 2019
A typical day at work for an RN usually involves running nurse line, which is a list of patients to see through the day that have submitted health needs requests. Health needs vary vastly among patients. Some common issues are back/other joint pain, feeling ill, injury, or health concerns brought on by medical conditions. Response to their concerns vary from making an appointment with the provider to implementing an intervention same-day, to occasionally even sending emergent cases to the ER.
Management is hit or miss. There's a lot of turnover and some are great to work with while some are very focused on numbers and try to insist on the team taking more responsibility than can be done while short-staffed.
Some perks of the job: a lot of autonomy, security takes precedence over healthcare, variety of conditions seen (some of which are typically rare)
Same
Document Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Brentwood, TNMarch 7, 2019
Cigna starting out working with them was great and then the company culture shifted and they change CEOs three times in the eight years I was there. once the CEO changed the company culture shifted and they started laying people off left and right.
Executive Assistant II (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 6, 2019
great company unfortunately they closed their St. Louis office.
Great work environment and people
Great managers
Nice offices and did nice things for their employees
nice office great location
Interesting environment
MEDICAL RECORDS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 4, 2019
Very interesting environment, fast paced, laid back environment. I can make my own hours. The hardest part of my job is trying to help too much. The most enjoyable part of my day is working with my team.
Flexible scheduling
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 24, 2019
I feel that there is no consistent support when working. When learning, there are no set instructions on how to put in orders etc. The inmates are fine, I don't feel afraid and they are appreciative of care. The workload is sometimes horrendous. 22 patients, which you have full assessments and documentation on about 3/4 of them. Dressing changes can be 1-8 in a shift and antibiotic therapy about the same. It is hard to get everything done.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
disorganized
positive environment
LPN (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 13, 2019
the HSA and DON are wonderful, always encouraging the staff. The company operates as a team in everything that they do. Coworkers are pleasant and look forward to coming to work
Pros
management
Cons
you have to pay for parking
Rewarding in the work with offenders
Staff Psychotherapist in Maximum (Former Employee) –  New Castle, INFebruary 13, 2019
Working with maximum security mentaly ill/personality disordered clientele was rewarding in itself, but environment was toxic and I didn't feel I could trust the integrity of the correctional officers.
Pros
Diverse population
Cons
Safety issues
Unethical and poor management
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Morgan County, TNFebruary 12, 2019
I worked for Corizon in Morgan county Tennessee. Management was mediocre AT BEST. I enjoyed my job as far as counseling goes and helping those who need help, however, corizon does not value those employees I cannot tell you how many times I was told “they’re inmates” and that was supposed to justify corizons every move. They never listened when you had a serious problem involving a client because they are “just inmates” management was too busy sucking up to security everyday to even know what was going on with their own employees. Pay was pretty good but an employee who had worked with corizon the same amount of time I had, came from Bledsoe to Morgan county and got a $1.50 raise all because when they came to Morgan county they were considered “experienced” even though it was just a transfer to a different location. A lot of favoritism was shown as well between supervisor and coworkers - the “favorite” changed weekly. You always had to watch out for your coworkers because they would be the first ones to run to management and tell anything and everything you did even if it wasn’t anything to tell. They expect you to hold 3-4 groups a day on top of the ridiculous amount of paperwork you have to do for each individual on your case load. The prison atmosphere isn’t for everyone but it is the least of your worrries/stressors working with Corizon, they will be your biggest issue.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Poor management, no paid holidays, too much drama between coworkers
co-workers were very helpful
Staff Psychiatrist (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, AR, grady AR, wrightsville, ar;February 6, 2019
Extra time needed due to security efforts. Security very protective of co-workers. Medical director of all sites was very attentive to needs of his staff.
corizon is a great company
LPN/HEALTH EDUCATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 30, 2019
corizon is a great company to work for. Like every company is has its positives and negatives. I see corizon as an asset more then a liability It would have been great to continue my work experience corizon ,however due to circumstances beyond my control I was not
able to stay employed with the agency. For anyone looking for an interesting but dangerous career opportunity Corizon is a place to start a career
Pros
salary benefits upward mobility learning experience
Cons
prison population danger security issues
Remember the administrative assistants run the show here
anonymous (Current Employee) –  winslow, AZJanuary 28, 2019
If you don't mind being micro-managed by the Corporation and having everything double-checked then this is a great place to work. If you do not mind having the administrative assistants bark at you for making sure you put in every last minute of your paid 40 hours - need to punch in/punch out then this is the place for you.

Remember, if you are grieving the loss of an immediate family member and you are using your 3 bereavement days, you may have to prove that you attended the funeral during that time.

as a professional, it is difficult to work here due to the management's mistrust of its employees.
Pros
salary
Cons
meticulous time management, need to punch in/punch out, health benefits
Stay away from Arizona
Nurse (Former Employee) –  TucsonJanuary 22, 2019
The management is terrible. They are close to losing the contract in AZ and they are out to milk every penny out of the contract. They only care about money! 1/2 of my co-workers were good to work with and 1/2 were cut-throat. Couldn't trust a single manager there.
Pros
Pay is very good. Chance to help a group of people who need help.
Cons
They are all about money, The Correctional staff also are jealous because you make a lot more than they do, way too many people who are jealous of nurses.do.
slow pased- losing contracts
Utilization Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJanuary 21, 2019
constantly changing management, no room or advancement. Things change every day and there is no communication between upper management and lower level workers.
its a job
worker bee (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZJanuary 21, 2019
Corizon was a good place to build skills. This would be a great place to work but change seems to happen very slow. At times, focus was on less important things than quality of healthcare.
Simple job for a new nurse
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chillicothe, MOJanuary 21, 2019
I would consider working there in the future if I lived closer to the company. I left corizon only due to the drive and having opportunity to work in the town I was living.
Challenging
Mental Health Professional - Intake Unit (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNJanuary 20, 2019
Its prison work, but once you get past that, it was a good experience. Very fast paced, and helping people was not a priority. However, you got to learn about people and prison healthcare.
Pros
Variety of clients
Cons
Pay, No advancement
Too many chiefs.
Physician (Current Employee) –  CorizonJanuary 16, 2019
As a physician in a healthcare company there would be certain expectations. We are expectected to be on call 24/7 including PTO unless out of the country. There are too many levels of administrative oversight and current management has little knowledge of correctional medicine and does not seemed interested in learning. Corizon does not offer healthcare to its physicians. Crazy. It does for all other staff. The easiest and best part is the ability to see patients you can actually impart change The worst is and administration heavy on appearances and policies without practical insight as to the value or effect downstream to its employees doing the work. Depending on your site you may or may not get the clinical support you need. Outvoted or sandbagged by admin. I have seen several changes at the top. A lot of talking. Not much changes
Pros
Custody staff and patients
Cons
Management at all levels

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corizon Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight