Corizon Health Employee Reviews

Corizon Health
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cameron, MONovember 29, 2018
I have worked for Corizon since 2014 and have only received a $1.50 an hour raise. Since 2014 the employee benefits have only gotten worse. Staff turn over is a huge issue with this company causing stress on employees that have to take on the extra work load. I believe if staff were showed a little more appreciation and worth from this company it would go a long ways.
Pros
Short commute to work.
Cons
pay, benefits, turnover
Pays well, but management is disorganized.
PRN (Former Employee) –  Harvest, ALNovember 16, 2018
If you don't mind working with inmates and you have a good manager it's a great job. I did it PRN to make extra money, and the pay was better than any other jobs in my area.
Stressful,unappreciated
Medical Clerk/Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, TNNovember 12, 2018
Very busy, no breaks (unless you smoke!), lots of drama, large turnover with nursing staff, little contact with management, sink or swim. They pulled out with little/no notice prior to their contract end.
Pros
good friendships
Cons
lack of communication
Enjoyed providing medical care to the inmates.
Director of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Jefferson City, MONovember 10, 2018
Enjoyed providing medical care to the inmates. Learned a lot of new nursing skills. Upper management was very poor. Expected the DON and administrator not to help the nursing staff.
Good job, malpractice rate is high for physicians
Site Medical Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 7, 2018
The job is interesting and can be very rewarding. As a physician you are almost guaranteed to bump up against at least 1 malpractice case at some point because the clientele have nothing better to do than try to sue, at least where I was. They sue every one who’s name is in the chart. If you do your job right and document EVERYTHING you do and treat everyone appropriately you likely will get dropped from everything but it’s a giant pain. If you are staying in corrections forever it may be less painful.
Pros
Interesting pathology you may not see else where
Cons
Stressful at times, malpractice risk
Provides strong support to the counselors and provides a high degree of self satisfaction
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 5, 2018
I enjoyed working for Corizon Health. They have a strict level of professional accountability, but they provide great financial reward for your work. The work can be fast paced at times. They require people who are self-motivated and can handle a high amount of responsibility. There is zero tolerance of sexual harassment. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the regular schedule of treatment groups and one-on-one mental health counseling when you have several emergencies due to inmate self injury. The most enjoyable part of the job was hearing from inmates that they believed you have really helped them improve their impulse control and/or depression. I also appreciated the amount of trust the immediate supervisor and the company in general placed in each mental health specialist and counselor.
Pros
Great financial and support rewards
Cons
High pressure
Its Corrections Nursing
Licensed Practical Nurse- IV Certified (Current Employee) –  Ellsworth, KSNovember 3, 2018
Its Correctional Nursing. Its Prison Nursing. Its rough, its tough.
Management is awful. They were very good at sitting in their offices and that was it. They didn't manage anything but their text messages and emails. They didn't do anything to help retain good employees. They refused to get a handle on anything despite numerous pleas from employees, past and present. Security on the second shift the captions office had one captain who always wanted to butt heads with the nursing and made the shift awful for everyone, staff and inmates. There is no team as for the most part everyone is out for themselves there. Its like a flashback to high school, maybe even junior high its so bad at times. In the short time that I have been there we have 8 status changes, either staff have quit or went from FT to PRN.
Pros
I wish I had something to put here.
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Morale, Poor working relationships
Very high turnover
Assistant Director of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZNovember 3, 2018
Senior management typically does not stay more than a year, that should give you a good idea of the job culture and how happy the employees are. Not much PTO, so you get burned out quick.
enjoyed working for this company very supportive
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  HAMILTON A & IOctober 24, 2018
Work place was a very good environment. Had very adequate staff for each shift. Was kept neat and clean. And we always had plenty of supplies to work with not like Wexford who was always cutting cost by cutting down on supplies.
Pros
Good Pay and Benifits
Cons
working 8 hr shifts
TALENT ACQUISITION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 22, 2018
Excellent opportunities for growth, a strong history and they care about their employees. Great compensation and benefits packages are available for the family as well
No cohesion
Psychology Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 22, 2018
Not team oriented I l earned nothing at Corizon. Management was much to busy with the bottom line. I worked at a mental health prison in Ida ward which consisted of 20+ SMI Inmates ranging in age from age 20 to 75. I had an open office door policy that allowed the inmates access if they ever had anything on there minds to talk about. The Inmates were seen at least once a week on 1:1's and twice a week in groups. Treatment plans were once a month. I am a convert to Roger's Person centered theory and also use motivational interviewing as well.
Pros
Working with ther inmates in 1:1
Cons
Not enough Psychology Associates to go around
Poor treatment of employees and the inmates
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 19, 2018
Corizon Health is only concerned with making money. Employees are expected to do their job and one more because they are always understaffed. People quit weekly and this makes it harder for everyone. The employees are not shown respect and the inmates are neglected and sometimes abused by certain staff. The company is the worst company I have seen in a long time. This company mimmicks our current administration in DC.
Pros
Good pay but not worth it.
Cons
Hostile, toxic work culture.
work
Counsel clients or patients, individually (Former Employee) –  Lake Butler, FLOctober 9, 2018
This company has poor management skills and no room for advancement. The company came in the prison system and cut the workers that was in the mental health unit and the workers that they did hire had to manage the other caseload from the former employees.
Very by the books formal work environment
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Bonne Terre, MOOctober 9, 2018
I loved having a structured work environment based a strict rules and schedule oriented structure. Corizon could have provided more onsite audits of the supervisors to ensure quality of supervision.
Cons
DOC Unfairly jumps to assumptions without evidence
Terrible communication, staff allowed to bully other staff!
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Tipton, MOOctober 6, 2018
No matter what you say it is always the person being bullied that is at fault. Complaints about mistreatment are not addressed or taken seriously. Expected to clock out for lunch, but not allowed to leave if you are the only RN, which is pretty much everyday. Management takes to side of the person they are talking to just to keep staff, even if it means allowing others to be bullied. Constant conflict, with no one to turn to for assistance. Everything is ALWAYS blamed of the person being bullied, management never takes care of it EVER!
Pros
Free food if you like prison food
Cons
Poor management, confict, nurse bullying that is allowed
I loved working here, great place to work and grow
Benefit specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 4, 2018
I loved working here, great place to work and grow. Every one worked as a team with this company. We all felt like family. Everyone worked as a team.

Each manager I had was great with training and support.

Would still be there if not laid off and company relocating to Nashville.
Pros
Family company
Needs fresh methods
Registered Nurse- Mental Health (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 1, 2018
Our facility went from full papaer charts to computerized records. Minimal training for the program as well as a very user NONfriendly EMR resulted in many missed medical visits as well as poor charting. Finding a set of data could be looked up/charted 4-5 ways meaning it might never be found.
Pros
Advancenent opportunities
Cons
Management change, Very poor emr, both led to teamwork falling into shambles
Was a contract job through Ajillon Staffing - needed a receptionist and i filled in for them.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Off Olive where Ajillon is locatedSeptember 23, 2018
Slow paced most of time. Good Learning experience. New way answering phones. Liked the job, but needed something to do besides answering calls. Good.
Pros
I liked the people in this company. Also the woman who trained me was very knowledgable. Good job.
Cons
It was temporary, needed permanent work.
Great company
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NJSeptember 12, 2018
Correctional Medical Services was a delightful company to work for both in NJ and DE. The doctors were exceptional and I learned a lot from them. I had no problem with inmates. I would always recommend working for corrections with Correctional Medical Services and Correct Care solutions because both companies have extension experience in corrections. I do not recommend Connections for employment in corrections because their expertise is mainly with mental health.
Could be better
Scheduling clerk (Former Employee) –  Vandalia, MoSeptember 12, 2018
At first I enjoyed my job very much. As time went and I got to see how thin actually worked as favorites were established. As well as understaffed and also favorites became very laxed in their duties. While other had to pick up the slack. With out ample compensation. As a dental assistant there was no room to move up or do better things. I wasn’t able to learn as much as I was hoping to on the field.
Pros
Free lunches, job security
Cons
Under staffed, low pay, negative work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Corizon Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight