Cornell University Employee Reviews

4.4
Ratings breakdown
Nice position
International Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cornell Law SchoolMay 4, 2018
In the beginning I had a ruff start, not much training, but software is east to navigate and staff was ready to help. As a temp not enough access to many of the software to work. The culture was relaxed. The staff was a team and helpful.
Pros
Director and other staff friendly and helpful
Cons
Gossip in some areas
grad student/instructor
First-Year Writing Seminar Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMay 2, 2018
it's misery. seriously, don't do it unless you want to feel completely overwhelmed. students are great, staff is great, and the workload is untenable.
Great work environment
Maintenance/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 27, 2018
One of the best work environments i've ever had the privilege to work at. Great co-workers and management. Opportunity for advancement is based on performance. Also good people in the university and surrounding town. Some people are a little prejudice but does not project the whole.
Pros
Work environment, and full time benefits
Cons
non
I worked at the Shoals
Wildlife Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Isle of shoalsApril 18, 2018
I worked at the Isle of Shoals my junior year. It was a blast. I live on the island the hole time. I studied seabirds an their nesting habits. The professors were great.
intense graduate program
Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 7, 2018
I was a grad student there so I'm not sure this is as applicable to permanent employees. It is an intense and competitive environment, but student benefits were pretty good.
Great university
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 5, 2018
Cornell is a great university with lots of cutting-edge research activities going on in fast pace. Significantly high number of industrial collaborations for its location.
Cons
Location, too cold in winter
Graduate school is not for the faint of heart
PhD Candidate (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 30, 2018
As a graduate student at Cornell, it's tough to review them as a "company"; there are no real benefits (although the health care is nice), and there's no clock to punch. It's stressful and competitive, but we all know that going into it.
Awesome place to work
Structural Designer I (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 26, 2018
There is a lot of lateral and vertical movement within the company. The department that I work in is small so it allows for lots of communication and interaction between departments.
Great place to work.
Senior Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 22, 2018
There are some politics, but overall it was a fine place to work with great opportunity. Probably should of stayed there. There were some meeting that I would need to walk over three bridges and and streams to get to. A really beautiful place to work.
Very personalized workload
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 20, 2018
Was given a cache of videos to watch and gather data from, given a deadline, and given the freedom to schedule my own hours to watch the videos. The work was not demanding, but was reasonable for the pay.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Very temporary
Cornell
Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NY 14853March 15, 2018
Dependable employer, pays well, great benefits. Good family balance. Have worked here over 36 years, plan to retire from here. Educational benefits for self and children.
Best employer I've had
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMarch 5, 2018
Cornell has been the most supportive environment in which I have worked. Cornell's faculty is not only academically superb, but also enthusiastic and collaborative. It has been a great place to work.
productive and tense work
Lab Manager (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYFebruary 27, 2018
The schedule can be really intense sometime due to the deadline of projects. But you learn things quickly and have the chance to communicate and work with people across departments and institutes on-campus and off-campus. Yet the schedule can also be flexible because you basically arrange your time yourself expect for group meetings or presentations.

As a lab manager, you also take the responsibility to manage the team besides all the research work same as those RA are doing. So it is pretty productive position.
Pros
self-scheduled lab work time; possible publication
Cons
intense schedule; need to cross-function
A rewarding place to work
Community Employment Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 12, 2018
This is part of a research grant that provides training, exposure to a wealth of resources, and the ability to observe youth grow and develop in competitive employment opportunities.
Cornell AHDC Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYFebruary 5, 2018
Cornell is an excellent place to work and does offer stability. It would be nice if there were more advancement opportunities but in a university setting it can be limiting.
Nice place to work
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 5, 2018
Cornell is a very good place to work. Fancy facilities and resource. But it's very competitive working at Cornell. And the weather here is not good. Too cold and lots of raining.
Pros
Good benefit
Cons
Stressfull
its a place to establish a career if you are in the right department
Dining (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYFebruary 1, 2018
great environment depending on where you get positioned, otherwise it can be very stressful and backstabbing. If you are in a position you love and get a long with your co workers, its a good life.
Family atmosphere: we regularly played sports.
Professor (Former Employee) –  New York City, NY and Washington, DCJanuary 29, 2018
Fascinating and diverse university i have ever seen. i t may be too stressful for some. For those relish challenges, this is the place to be.

I was on the faculty of the Cornell University's Electrical Apprenticeship Program at the School of Industrial and Labor Relations. In that capacity, I trained electrical apprentices in practical arts, the history of the labor movement and the specific economics and employment relations of the construction Industry.

I also headed as an Executive Director a grass-roots community
based organization which sent faculty from SUNY campuses to neighborhood venues to provide outreach access for working women whose children and location in the outer boros of New York prohibited efficient transportion.
Pros
Most beautiful campus, Best culinary dishes, and intriguing speakers.
Cons
too much stress, competition, fear, stealng of student notes and computers
Good people
Research Director - Publications and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJanuary 27, 2018
It's been a really long time since I worked there, but I had the pleasure of collaborating with some wonderful people, especially Publications & Marketing. Made lasting friends.
Interesting
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYJanuary 3, 2018
It was nice but no career advantage . Small and not enough options for further growth. I enjoyed the atmosphere and environmental aspect of the job description.
Pros
Free produce