Cornell University
Happiness rating is 76 out of 100

Cornell University Employee Reviews

Cornell University insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility

Valuable Work Experience

Government affairs is an exciting field and every day can be different due to changing needs and legislation. Managing a remote office location can be a challenge however the home office technical staff was incredibly supportive.

Decent experience

Typical works days can be long and exhausting. The pay is usually low but the people you work with make the job better overall. Management is okay.

It's ok

I work with some of the smartest individuals and greatest mentors that I've ever had in a job, but the work/life balance is certainly lacking. Had to work late into the evenings and outside of business hours just to get work done.Students are fantastic, and most colleagues are nice to work with. I would recommend doing a lot of research and asking hard questions during the interview process. Each area/department of Cornell is so different!

Productive work place Friendly co-workers

This was a Productive work environment with co-workers ready to help when needed. Other employees were very friendly and encouraging. Interesting work.

Pros

Working on campus, interesting work

Cons

Cubicles

Good place to learn

Carpenter library is my favorite as it doesn't have any books. Most beautiful campus!Nice professorsGreat resources for learning!Collegetown bagel

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Disorganized but not bad

Worked at the COVID-19 surveillance center, and although it was very disorganized the supervisors were always very nice. Lots of problems with disrespectful staff/students that I felt the supervisors handled well.

Remote work but still was part of the team

I was working remote and had flexible hours. It was very easy to work with the other support staff and they made the work enjoyable. For me it was normal work nothing I had not done before and everything went well. I just wish it had been a full time position.

Pros

Support from coworkers was very good.

Cons

only part time job

Very supportive and understanding of your needs. I worked at Cornell Dining and everyone was very patient to teach. Other people enjoyed their job as well and seems happy most of the time

Pros

Free meal during shift

Benefit of the doubt

You live and you learn. Just be sure you stand up for yourself. If there are any issues, address them right away. Take advantage of the educational offerings. If you’re looking for a career in higher Ed, this might be for you.

Pros

Very good benefits

Great benefits and culture

Lots of room for career growth and advancement. Not a great fit for me personally due to a long commute and not wanting to work in the veterinary field anymore. A great career opportunity for the right person though.

Excellent Employer, Great Benefits, Opportunity for Advancement

Show up, do a great job, and there are plenty of opportunities for advancement across the university. Excellent benefits- including paid time off for wellness and for taking classes at the university (at no cost). Excellent medical, dental, tuition, STD/LTD, Life insurance(s). Standard work week is 39 hours, typical schedule is 8am-4:30pm, with lunch break. Though schedules are flexible depending on your department and operating hours. Moving up within your department might be harder as most people choose to stay where they for a very long time (because they love their job), so you may need to move to a new position in a different dept or college to move up, or wait for someone 'above you' to move to a new position or retire. Depending on your job- You will need to learn several software systems and want to be motivated to improve yourself and your skills. You also can complete any eCornell certificate program for a flat $100. (Likely can get this reimbursed through your departments continuing education fund.)

Pros

Healthy work/life balance, benefits, wages, inclusive environment

Cons

none really

1-year temp position $15/hr

Your experience will vary by department and lab but overall I had flexible hours and PTO/sick days. They liked me well enough but said they couldn't renew my contract at the end of its term.

understaffed in IT

In information technologies, we were understaffed for years -- causing most exempt employees to routinely work way more than 40 hours per week. Salaries, though basically good, were uneven; i.e., staff performing equivalent jobs had drastically different salaries.I retired in 2020 even though I had planned to work several more years before retiring. It was just too stressful.

Pros

Good benefits, Good colleagues, Remote work during pandemic looks likely to to allowed for most IT staff.

Cons

understaffed, transparency from upper management lacking, promotions rare, too much off-hours work

Poor management

Poor management of research plan, HR department so slow. It takes 3 weeks to complete the on-boarding process. The facility is not sufficient for chemistry research.

Pros

Beautiful place to live

Cons

Poor work life balance

Nice environment working in cornell

There are lots of opportunities to learn and communicate with others, which help you a lot. You will have a nice collaboration with members in this university.

Pros

Not find

great place

If you need help, people are always willing to help you with your questions. The ithaca area is lovely to explore. Enjoy the natural scenery, it helps with any stress.

Summer lab job is fun, but social interaction is lacking

Working in a mechanical engineering lab as a summer job. Work is interesting, and many resources and bright people are present who help you succeed. People's experiences with similar positions probably vary quite a bit on a lab to lab basis.

Pros

Interesting work

Cons

Not much social interaction

Work hard for the money

They pay better than other employers but they will work you hard. Expect to do the work of at least two people if you are in the lower pay grades. As an administrative assistant, my job was to do most everything for the office so that the higher level employees did less. No matter how much you learn or how hard you work, it was difficult to get a raise or to advance.

Pros

Decent pay. Good benefits

Cons

Stressful, overworked

Overall nice place to work

Work as a boiler operator at Cornell Agri tech in Geneva. Is a 24/7 plant. Decent place to work, offers good benefits and pay for people with little experience. management is great here, but hours can be crazy sometimes.

Pros

Good pay for beginners

Cons

Work weekends and holidays

Graduate school

Not a bad place to go to graduate school. Ithaca is great, lots of good resources on campus for research purposes. Experiences vary considerably based on advisor and/or program.

Student Employees Are Underappreciated & Overworked

Although you get a lot of networking opportunities, student-employees often don't get anything outside of that. Jobs are often miserable and sometimes management doesn't understand that they are students first and an employee second. Low pay for hard work and management often expects you to work outside of the normal hours.

Pros

Networking; Flexible Hours

Cons

Compensation; Politics

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cornell University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.5Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
3.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight