Cornell University

Cornell University Employee Reviews

United States476 reviews

ithacauniversityprofessorcampusstudentfacultyacademicdining

What is the best part of working at the company?It was Great cooking for 50 guys. It was like having 50 sons 😊What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Learning where stuff was in the kitchen What is the work environment and culture like at the company?It was very comforting,clean. I had no culture issues What is a typical day like for you at the company?Busy but wonderful I made Lunch and Dinnerfor 5 guys

Productive and fun environment. clear sense of purpose and a quality crew.

Arriving to work I would be wither sent out to Newfield to pollenate and tag squash and other crops or I would stay at the main campus and help with lab work ie. deseeding, photo graphing and logging different veggies and fruits. The work evolved and changed with the seasons but there was always something productive going on.

Pros

Self regulated work

Cornell University insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose

What is the best part of working at the company?The support and ethics with the direct assistance and leadership with all staff and crew alike.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Just committing to your hours and tasks staying ahead of any setbacks.

Good Experience

It's a great place for graduate students to develop their research skills without worrying much about living expenses. I have enough time to take care of my research after finishing my duties as a research assistant.

What is the best part of working at the company?It was a Great first job. I gained a lot while there. Looking for my second job What is the most stressful part about working at the company? I was responsible for over 100 jobs assignments each day, juggling journey-people and work load. It was a challenging task. What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Excellent, It was a fantastic work place.What is a typical day like for you at the company?As a supervisor, I was the first one in and the last one out.

Fun, exciting workplace that gives back as much as you put in

Great leadership, teammates, and social atmosphere. Work atmosphere is very laid backed and accommodating. You get out exactly as much as you put in. Large autonomy over projects and direction of research. Tons of support

Don't Expect to Advance

Cornell Retail Services has a problem with hiring what they like to call "casuals," which is their form of a permanently temporary part-time worker. No matter how hard you work or how good of a fit you are, you'll waste your years away working a max of 20 hours a week without benefits. It does not matter how professional you are, how well you know your job, how exceptional your work is, or how well liked you are by your coworkers and supervisors; You will be passed by for promotions and applications to full-time positions. Do not accept a casual position with this company. They will not value you and you will waste your time thinking that it will ever change.

Low pay

Pay for entry level jobs is low. Cornell is a good name on your resume for opportunities for advancement are hard to come by. However it's the best emloyer in Ithaca

Good job

Working as a TA has the benefit if helping to retain old knowledge. Working with students can be fun, if challenging and the workload depends per class.

It was ok

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It honestly would have been better had it not been for the terrible team dynamics. The medical assistants thought they were nurses.

Offers stability in small town

I feel like ones experience largely has to do with the management within their department or facet of the college itself. Overall inclusive and supportive environment but difficult to receive pay raises even within the context of an understaffed office / in having worked there for over 3 years. I also feel as if there is a fairly distinct separation socially between admins and faculty / students / higher up.

Pros

Health benefits, time away from work (medical and vacation), 1 day remote a week

Good times

Fantastic diversity. Good benefits. Some unsafe areas to work. Just report to Union Reps. Warehouse was a sweatshop during the summer. Always room for advancement if you milk the right cows.

Depends on the department/team/manager, but overall my experience has been positive

Culture can differ greatly between departments and managers, but overall I had a great experience here. Great manager and team mates. I am able to now work fully remotely (having moved from Ithaca), though this is on a case-by-case basis.

Decent job security, but poor advancement opportunities and low compensation.

They pay well below market rate. The expectation is that you contribute out of a desire to achieve the higher education mission, rather than out of a desire to build a good career. That said, you don't need to work very hard to succeed. Everything moves slowly. You don't typically need to put in a full 8 hours per day. However, those people in positions of authority will never help you grow into them yourself.

Pros

Low work hours, beautiful town.

Cons

No growth, low pay.

Great resources for research, but limited networking opportunities

As a graduate student in plant sciences, the opportunities for research are excellent. The pay is pretty poor, and does not increase in line with inflation, but is still superior to most other agricultural universities. As a fifth year I am effectively making less pay than during my first year, even though I have much more experience and am more productive. In my department, there is a lot of focus on a few specific crops and systems, so if you don't work on those you are kind of left out as far as collaboration and support. For those seeking careers in industry, there are very few networking opportunities with relevant employers, and the university even discourages collaboration with some of the largest ag companies. The university is also not very accepting of differing ideologies and frequently informs employees of what they are to think in regards to critical issues, if you disagree you are made to feel unwelcome.

Pros

Research opportunities and resources, health insurance, paid time off

Cons

pay, opportunity for advancement and networking

Incredible colleagues and worthwhile real world experience help really sink in the family atmosphere. There is opportunity to advance abound and I have remained for six years!

Good

Great colleagues and supervisors. An ideal place for research with a lot of resources. Quite good work life balance. Good benefits but very low salary.

meh job

its a job idk food service on a college campus you know the drill it’s pretty chill nice people students usually are nice food is pretty and you get free meals

What is the best part of working at the company?Good natural environment. Big campusWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Lack of life. There’s not much in Ithaca.

Gud

PRetty good place. Most non-monetary resources in place for what you need to do. Support can be somewhat lacking in departments people don't really care about

Productive and fun

It’s a productive and fun place to work with table tennis, and ice cream, and a petting zoo on Friday, and trips to Rome mid semester. Other times we read books about war and baseball.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cornell University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Women's ratings

3.3Fairygodboss Score

33%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss

Compare Cornell University with

Studying at Cornell University

Find out what it's like to study here.Read all reviews

Cornell University reviews by popular job title

• Cornell University