Cornell University Employee Reviews

Great Place
Finance Specialist III - Finance Lead (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYSeptember 7, 2018
Great place to work. Provides great environment and opportunities for employees. The management is great and the training allows you to learn new things
Great collaboration throughout the campus
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, New YorkSeptember 3, 2018
I happened to be at Cornell for a brief visit in 2005 at the end of a stressful project in the Middle East and I got involved in a discussion about setting up a course in energy. The end result was that I was asked to setup and teach a graduate course in energy economics and energy engineering.

With a few exceptions, I had always worked in the energy industry - fossil fuel and renewables - and so I was able to switch to teaching.
I discovered how hard and time-consuming teaching can be! The Cornell faculty were very supportive and very quickly I had a course of 80 students.
Diverse and productive learning environment
Undergraduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYAugust 27, 2018
The mix of people and the all-encompassing academic environment are what make Cornell stand out among comparable institutions. Especially in small departments, the close relationships between faculty and students combined with the great access to resources can result in novel and meaningful projects, even at the undergraduate level.
Excellent campus culture
Director ICCD (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYAugust 16, 2018
Insights from diverse community college presidents throughout north america.

Learned how to integrate rural and urban experiences and visions into a learning culture

Exposure to different presidents and their impact on unique cultures

Partnering with diverse personalities and priorities in creating successful learning environements for both students and employees.

How to stay on course with a vision while being flexible about the path.

The role community colleges play in beomg a vital part of their community
Pros
Recognizable unique sought after college
Cons
Distant from local community
Cornell is an excellent place to work
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYAugust 12, 2018
I worked at Cornell for about 4 years and I would overall recommend working there. Cornell is one of the biggest and most sought-after employers in upstate NY. Furthermore, Ithaca is a wonderful place to raise a family. Cornell is a very progressive school that is unique amongst Ivy League schools. I really enjoyed my time at Cornell.
Pros
Excellent benefits, progressive people, Ithaca.
Cons
Upstate NY can have brutal winters.
Excellent working conditions, poor regard from very top management
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 1, 2018
Direct management and department are supportive and respectful. Work was fulfilling and engaging. Classes taught by world-class professors. Excellent ice cream. University must recognize working graduate students as employees for true parity and fair working conditions.
Great atmosphere, variety of opportunities
Student Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 23, 2018
As Cornell is a great school, the atmosphere has a team camaraderie characteristics no matter the role or division you work in. People are excited, the jobs are walkable, it's a great place to be
Pros
beautiful scenery, team feeling, great people
Cons
lost of turn over with students graduating
beautiful campus
Manager of Technologies Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 18, 2018
It has been years since I have worked there. I can not begin to speak to what it might be like to work there now. I do know the campus is beautiful and has a vibrant community.
Fun & relaxing job
Senior charter driver (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 17, 2018
I was in the transportation Dept taking visitors to different places on campus I also did sport teams taking them too and from practices, we also did wedding parties , always something to do.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Not enough money to be made
What I learned
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 16, 2018
Cornell is a great institute to work for. They have great competitive pay, benefits are unsurpassed by other companies in the area, and they encourage staff to promote from within.
Academic environment
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJuly 4, 2018
What you would expect at a university level. Mostly undergrads mixed in with post-doctorates who mentor you. You learn a lot and are given a ton of hands on experiences.
very good place to work
Research Nurse (Former Employee) –  NYJuly 1, 2018
Encourages staff development for all levels of employment.
Good work and time off balance for all employees.
Great opportunities for growth within the organization
Pros
good life /work balance
Cons
Good job to gain experience and merit
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 29, 2018
Although I was not with Cornell Catering Company for very long, I would recommend the company to any one looking to participate in event planning, catering or waiting. They offer paid bartender training which is very helpful and useful.
Fast paced & demanding, can be very rewarding
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 25, 2018
Huge institution, with varied cultures across campus, largest employer in the county, giving them opportunity to employ at will. Not a bad place to work.
Pros
Interesting
great school
SQL Interpreter (Java), Practicum (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 22, 2018
Cornell Steel Bridge is an undergraduate project team under the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) that annually competes in the American Institute of Steel Construction Student (AISC) Steel Bridge Competition. Each year, students spend the year designing, analyzing, fabricating, and constructing a bridge.
Team members are able to utilize their classroom knowledge to optimize a bridge with the lightest weight, fastest constructability, and lowest deflection. All members of the team are additionally encouraged to participate in the hands-on experience of bringing the bridge from theory to reality. The Cornell Steel Bridge allows all team members the opportunity to partake in the fabrication and construction process, in which students learn how to cut, drill, and weld members of the bridge together.
in my department we have fun
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYof issues along with the union.June 20, 2018
i cant say for all over campus because each unit is different because the age and different individuals, Cornell's employees are mostly older there are some units that have younger crowd but not many. you have an opportunity to grow and learn, they have free clasp classes you can attend on there time. I like it there been there 5 years don't plan on leaving.
Pros
laid back most of the time, as long as you are doing your job
Cons
like any where else people are troublesome but manage takes care
Fun working place
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYJune 12, 2018
I like work here. It is a lot of fun and hard working. The view of the mountain is beautiful. The school is at the top of the mountain. Of course, it is cold in the winter.
Productive and extensive learning experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2018
Lectures on sustainable animal agriculture and hands on experience with the milking processes of sheep and running a commercial farming system. Also learned to work with a new group of peers on group projects to make improvements in farming systems.
Pros
Free Lunches, Free Weekends
Fun summer experience
SENIOR COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYMay 31, 2018
A committed, short-term job requiring a lot of patience, it was nonetheless very fun. Great for someone looking to spend the summer in childcare. Pay is small, but you do live at the summer camp. Staff is very fun and welcoming, food is delicious, the cabins are, well, cabins. Overall, a great time.
Pros
Free food, tons of fun and variety
Cons
Long hours, little pay
Wonderful
Society for Women in Engineering- Liaison (Current Employee) –  Ithaca, NYMay 28, 2018
Rate this company*required
Overall rating*
The following error occurred:
Your Review doesn't quite meet our quality guidelines. Please adjust and resubmit.