Cornerstones of Care Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
empathetic, and change agent
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 15, 2018
Supportive, empatheitc. Flexible hours, time management is huge. Also, just like all jobs but exspecially working as in social services, is great self care. You care for so many other indviduals problems it is very importat to take care of your self.
fun work place
Licensed Practical School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 13, 2018
management was horrible and their wasn't room for advancement. I did not feel like I was using my skills or adding to them. I felt as though I was using very minimal of what I learned in school.
Good place to work for
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MO 64134July 5, 2018
Good place to gain work experience. Manangement is very understanding. Pay is very low and very stressful job. Minimum pay should start maybe mid 40's
Pros
Excellent Manangement
Cons
Very low pay
In ruins
FRI (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 27, 2018
COC historically was a great place to work, rich in their history of addressing the social and mental health needs of the children and families in surrounding communities. In the last years since new, younger, less experienced management has come in, the company has slowly ruined itself. Two campuses have been shut down, services diminished, quality of care has been squandered, it has been devastating to watch. This company was one of the ideal places to work and train 5 to 10 years ago, and now I wouldn't recommend a person touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Pros
training
Cons
mismanagement, personal agendas, poor quality
So so
Functional Family Therapist (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJune 21, 2018
So so. I did not care for my manager, but I loved the rest of my team. Smart group of clinicians who I also considered good friends. A lot of driving and not reimbursed at the government bare minimum amount/mile.
It is sad to watch the decline of a once proud institute. They have financial and administrative issues.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  KCMoMay 29, 2018
The admin appears to not care about staff or children served, which has led to high turnover and understaffing, to the detriment of children and families served. This admin are poor listeners regarding ideas for improvements. There is no loyalty to dedicated staff.
Pros
working with vulnerable children
Cons
understaffing, low morale, uncaring administration
Cornerstones of Care Foster Care Case Management
Foster Care Case Management Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 5, 2018
The foster care case managers do have somewhat of a flexible schedule at Cornerstones of Care. The agency has experienced some changes over the last few years that have left many employees feeling unappreciated and unsupported.
Pros
Flexibility of Schedules
Cons
Lots of long stressful hours with little support
Stay Far Away
Family and Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 3, 2018
This place is an absolute train wreck. I truly feel sorry for the children who have to stay there. Between not having working bathrooms for MONTHS and unsafe ratios for staff and clients (20+ Kids to 1 Staff sometimes), this place is not a place I would want to work or have children stay at. The facilities for the kids are literally falling apart. The management doesn’t help you when you ask for it. The pay is not worth the work you put in. You will receive extra work and no raises. However, the higher up you go in the company, the bigger their pockets get.

The only good things about this place are the children and the youth specialists I had the chance to work with.
Pros
Children
Cons
No Raises, No Management, Understaffed (is an understatement)
Poor place to work with no support in a stressful environment
Youth Care Worker II (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 24, 2018
It is clear the big guys don't care for the little guys doing the most work. The company preaches "open communication" but lacks the practice of doing so. ALWAYS always always understaffed, which causes their good staff to leave, and on top of that, prevents good staff from moving up since they need them where they are (for example, instead of hiring from within for a case manager position from 1 of 10 inside applicants familiar with the clients on their case load, they hire from out). In order to use your accumulated sick time, you must be sick 3 days in a row plus provide a doctor's note. Staff is clique-y. Entirely unprofessional. Clients are the hardest and best part of job.
Pros
free food sometimes, accumulate PTO quickly
Cons
always understaffed, impossible to use sick hours, time off isn't always approved, no support, no money, no raises
Changes For The Worst
Youth Behavior Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 11, 2018
This company has made some drastic changes this year. The company is no longer matching 401k. In addition the annual cost of living raises have been altered. Since merging under one umbrella people who have been employed with the company for several years have resigned, some without employment. Job Fairs are unsuccessful. There is limited staff. Unable to get requested days off.
Sometimes productive but not very most supportive environment
Youth Behavior Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 8, 2018
The work culture was ok but no the best. Some of the staff were great but the mgmnt not the best. No opportunity for career advancement I found. The pay was not very good. They did some great training for on trauma and other topics.
Pros
The kids and some of the staff
Cons
Pay and no opportunity for advancement I found
5 mergers occurring at once, much in-fighting, lack of trust at all levels
Executive Vice President-Human Resources (Former Employee) –  CorporateMarch 30, 2018
I found this environment to me very negative, unprofessional and dishonest at all levels. This was not an environment that I saw myself staying in long-term, even though I had the highest level HR position. Lack of ability to get things done
Pros
The services they provided to children and families
Cons
Lack of trust, collaboration, professioalism and ability to get things done
Cornerstone of Chaos
Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  Kansas CityMarch 11, 2018
I worked here for more than three years and in that time, the only consistent thing about the organization was a pattern of continuous change. The organization has "Sanctuary" certification but the management lacks a clinical perspective. In the time I was there, I had three different mangers and worked in three different buildings. Upper management met with our team for 6 months to ascertain what was good and what needed improvement in our department; which they called "the future of COC." After six months of meetings, they fired two of my colleagues, demoted another, and shifted the therapists to another department. Soon after I left, COC lost or sold Marillac and Spofford. I saw a lot of excellent people come and go and although certified in Sanctuary, the management rarely practiced it. Sanctuary was used to encourage staff to share openly and then the shared information was used to dismantle and destroy what was effective and beneficial about the program I was in.
Pros
Immediate supervisor and the pay.
Cons
Deceptive management practices by upper management.
Great Place to Work
RN-Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 14, 2018
Supervisor was great. Felt like I was being listened to.
Work Life Balance
Able to work from home
Traveling required to meet with Clients
Benefits
Busy
Busy, Busy, Busy
Foster Care Case Management Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 14, 2018
Its mentally, emotionally, and sometimes physically challenging to collaborate across multi professional disciplines to assist families in a state crisis.
Pros
Work with children and families, supportive working environment
Cons
Systemic hurdles, low to moderate wages
Cornerstones of Care
Credentialing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 6, 2018
Cornerstones of Care is financially lacking, they pay the ELT high dollars and the real workers peanuts. I loved what I do and the end result of why I do what I do - but the politics of ELT and SLT are not equaled out in pay, they are much but not in the trenches helping the kids and families.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Stre always ask to more with less due to budget.
Loved my job, and wish that our program had not ended
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 12, 2018
Due to loss of grant, program ended and we were not able to continue the home visitation program. I loved this job and the team I worked with! Was sorry to have to go. Good company to work for!
Great Place to Learn
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 7, 2017
If you are interested in developing as a professional, this is a good place to work. You have to learn how to navigate office politics and gossip - my suggestion, stay out of it. If you are looking for career advancement, you need a degree in the field related to the job - otherwise, you may find yourself stuck.
Pros
Lots of flexibility for management staff
Cons
Inability to grow if you do not have a degree
Fun workplace and interactions with employees and students
Educational Program Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSNovember 5, 2017
Attendance of students into software
Entering students into software
Academic testing of students
Ordering and keeping inventory of supply's
Discharging students out of software
Keeping records for State of Kansas auditing
Pros
Hours worked and interaction with students and co-workers
Cons
None, I loved my job
Company with eye on the wrong prize
Behavioral Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 5, 2017
If you wish to be a cog in a wheel that is easily thrown away or forgotten, this is the company for you. They lecture you about their Sanctuary Model, but do not practice what they preach. The higher up in management you go, the less they care about the clientele we serve. They continue to provide sub par treatment with unsafe staffing ratios in hopes of keeping more money in their pockets. Staff morale is low, clients are unpredictable and, at times, dangerous, and management is unreachable most of the time- when you do get ahold of them, they ignore your concerns for safety.

Very few people within the company that have been here more than a few years, despite what they advertise. There is a reason for that. Management is punitive and dismissive, playing obvious favorites with staff and clients.
Pros
Decent introductory pay
Cons
Poor management, unsafe work conditions, no room for advancement