Cortland County Community Action Program, Inc. (CAPCO)

Cortland County Community Action Program, Inc. (CAPCO) Employee Reviews

Best Non-Proft in Cortland County
Head Start (Former Employee) –  Head Start SiteOctober 17, 2017
CAPCO is one of the most recognized non-profits in Cortland, and it was a pleasure to have worked there. Employees call themselves the "CAPCO Family", and it is truly a family environment. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with CAPCO. I worked for a child care program, but they offer an array of services that interrelate and collaborate to accomplish its mission of helping the community and assisting people in need. It is a small non-profit that does a lot with a little. It was evident that leadership worked very hard to show staff appreciation and reward employees, even on a tight budget. I always felt respected and engaged in decision making, even though my role was not management. During my time with the company, it was expanding and being recognized by the community and federal agencies as the non-profit that should receive funding for up and coming initiatives. My colleagues and other staff often complained about the pay scale, but the longevity at CAPCO is unique and people tend to stay for long periods of time. I have recommended 2 acquaintances to CAPCO, and both have expressed their satisfaction. Lots of flexibility, casual, and easy-going place to work that makes a difference. I would highly recommend!
Pros
Flexibility and time-off.
Cons
Non-profit wages
If you like Crazy this is the place for you
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  Cortland, NYMarch 1, 2017
I enjoyed most of the people I worked with. I liked the work I did. I learned a lot about Head start regulations. Some of the upper management does not like to comply with regulations. A lot of conflicts of interest and unethical activity is swept under the rug. The CEO does not promote teamwork and does not take suggestions into consideration and has little confidence and trust in her team (with the exception of her favorites, which usually used poor judgement). That was very frustrating. Front end staff are treated poorly. Loved working with most of the people.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
poor culture
Let me experience the public health field in ways I have not been able to in the past.
Full-Time Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYJune 16, 2014
I would gather the charts for the patients that had appointments for the following day, research events that were going on in the community that were free or low cost, help the nutritionists with measurements of the clients, created outreach materials, stocked the office with appropriate materials (flyer, paperwork forms, stationary, new participant packets, brochures, etc.) I also got to lead group discussions about different health behaviors that contribute to a healthy lifestyle.

The manager was always very helpful and kept me busy each day. My coworkers were always there to teach me new things and did not get frustrated with me if I was confused.

The hardest part was not being about to use certain computer system since i was not certified to have access to patient information.

I loved being able to work within different departments of the CAPCO company. This let me get out and see many areas of public health and experience working with all ages of clients.
Pros
nice staff to work with, clean, organized, got to experience many different areas of public health
Cons
sometimes had a lot of down time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cortland County Community Action Program, Inc. (CAPCO). Our community is ready to answer.

Cortland County Community Action Program, Inc. (CAPCO) Reviews by Job Title