Cortland Employee Reviews in Columbus, OH

Couldn’t love Cortland more!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 5, 2019
Cortland is truly fantastic! There is always room to grow and you are paid for performance! Cortland has a family feel, especially in Ohio. There is an abundance of support locally, and from the corporate level. I am so glad I found Cortland, and do not plan to leave.
Pros
Family feel, compensation, positive work environment
Official response from Cortland
February 11, 2019

Hello, Cortlandian! We are thrilled to hear that your experience has exceeded your expectations. It is associates like you who amplify our culture and continue to make Cortland an awesome place to work. Thank you for being an ambassador for Cortland and embodying our core values. We’re so glad to have you as part of the Cortland family! #LoveWhatYouDoAndLetItShow –Jonathan Tucker, EVP of Operations and Facilities

Domino Effect
Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 21, 2018
I am absolutely appalled at what this company has become. I used to take pride in working for Cortland when team awesome overseen Ohio. After team heroes took over, I slowly watched the Ohio portfolio plummet. Promoting people with no experience. Those that deserved recognition were taken for granted and ignored. If you are anything less than a manager, you ARE replaceable and you will absolutely feel that way. When your concerns are voiced, you then become a target. There is no structure within the Ohio portfolio anymore. Everything is Property specific - meaning when Community Managers shift, everything shifts based on what THEY want. The Community Managers abuse their power because they know they’re protected. This causes toxic environments causing animosity & personal vendettas! How can you create value for a better life when your associates aren’t valued? Also, kiss your personal life and family goodbye as you will work off the clock and extended hours just to stay afloat of their overflowing expectations! It is very well known that the Ohio associate retention is awful. Do something about it. Give praise to those that truly deserve it before you lose more of your long standing good associates. Pay more attention to the opinions of your Resident Experience Managers & leasing staff rather than JUST the Business Managers & Community Managers. Hold your Director of Operations & Area Operations Manager to the same standards as your other associates. (Do the right thing for the right reason. Grow together and play as a team. Listen with your heart and your mind. Have the courage  more... to be better.)  less
Pros
Commission standards, benefits & PTO accumulation

Comment – July 13, 2018

Ouch, that was not a fun review to read. I’m sorry things didn’t work out for you at Cortland and that you feel like some of our latest changes haven’t lived up to your expectations. Our retention , resident satisfaction, and overall business metrics have shown us otherwise – we are seeing an upward trend in Ohio. I would love to personally address your concerns and am available at priscila.mattingly@cortlandpartners.com or you can call our 24/7 hotline at 1.800.461.9330. In the meantime, I am personally assessing the situation in Ohio to ensure that both our residents and associates are getting the same great Cortland experience across the board

A Joke
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 8, 2017
Cortland needs to stop worrying about expanding and focus on their current properties. The renovation jobs are sloppy and rushed. There is no communication in the company (or at least they fail in their attempts to communicate)
Pros
pay
Cons
the people they hire and management
A variety of work in a good work environment.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 8, 2017
The company is growing with a lot of potential for career advancement. It is a great company if you are looking to advance in your career in the residential business, and don't mind being called out at all hours of the night during your on-call rotation. The management team is great to work for and they are very supportive of the staff.
Pros
Good benefits and growth opportunities
Cons
On-call for maintenance emergency hot line is out of control.
Great place to work. Excellent work environment
Regional Service & Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 6, 2016
Worked daily with 10 service managers. Trained and monitored work performance. I learned better office skills like excel spreadsheets and sending weekly reports to upper management. The management was top notch. My co-workers were top quality. The hardest part of the job was staying caught up. The most enjoyable part of the job was traveling to different regions of the country to work with others.
Pros
Great bonus program
Cons
Job security
Wonderful Company overall, could use some management skills
Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 23, 2015
No one in upper management will listen to the "little guy" in the industry. However, they are sure to send you a report about what needs improvement - ignoring your concerns you tried to bring to their attention before the improvement was needed. ie: report requests are sent same day with an expectation of completion within a very short period of time or by end of day. This usually happens daily, it more often than not is a report a senior management member is perfectly capable of retrieving on their own with the click of a button. Then you receive "coaching" on your performance to address low numbers and poor resident satisfaction caused by constantly running in circles to complete whatever report management feels it "needs within the hour."
Pros
The idea of Cortland is great. Benefits are reasonable.
Cons
Immediate management (Local, Area and Regional Level) Needs improvement