Cortland Employee Reviews

Great Working Environment with great professionals to match
Project manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJuly 13, 2018
Overall, i enjoyed my time with Cortland immensely. They provided me with the tools i needed to succeed when i was promoted to Project manager. The construction team is very knowledgeable and i would frequently bounce ideas off of them. I think working this closely with them allowed me to grow and acquire the necessary skills i needed for my trade.
Pros
Good mix of coworkers, subcontractors and working environment lends itself to a pleasant work experience.
Cons
extended work hours
Work in progress
annoymous (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 12, 2018
Cortland is a mix of emotions. Has great benefits package. Cortland doesn't find your personal life to be important. Very unorganized management. Promotes anyone with no experience, with onesite and how it runs. You always need to watch your back because you won't have any support when concerns are addressed.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Unorganzied
Hostile and Unwelcome
Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 11, 2018
The job culture here is absolutely horrible. Management can't tell what one hand is doing from another and puts the blame from their faults on their employees. Even going so far as to make up stories, then they run to cooperate with their stories in which they believe. Severely under staffed since Cortland took over our property back in September and getting supplies is a struggle. If you value peace of mind and do not want to deal with a unprofessional, high school type environment, then simply do not waste your time with this company. They say you only get one chance to make a good first impression and unfortunately they have made a very bad one, both on staff and in their own community. The fact they have already gone through 3 construction crews and 5 members from operations in less than 9 months says it all. Not to mention, occupancy is in free fall.
Pros
comission and benefits
Cons
managment
Productive work place
Leasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 29, 2018
Great job you are able to start a good future in if you put in the work but you do work a lot including a lot of weekends. Turn over is high. Take a lot and a few years to move up with the company but it is possible

Comment – August 19, 2018

Hello, thank you for taking the time to share your experience!

Extremely stressful work environment with little help from upper management
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 26, 2018
Cortland's goal is to grow and become one of the largest in its industry, however, they have not yet found their identity and what they stand for as a company.
An opportunity to experience service in cleaning.
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 17, 2018
Became familiar with areas where needed to cleaned then followed step-by-step cleaning an office, resident restrooms, weight area, and where guest visited. In addition keeping clean an area where the residents live makes all the while pleasant for people where they stay.
Pros
Kept positve attitude.
Cons
make the best of what is possible and try your best.
Cortland Partners
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 15, 2018
Need more work life balance and better benefit plans. Need to focus on employee satisfaction and that will lead to happy residents. They do things very different from other management companies. They pay well. However, happiness is more important than money.
No support no help
lead Maintenance tech (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 14, 2018
hectic and full of angry tenants, understaffed and overwhelmed unable or unwilling to hold 3rd party contractors to their accountable,and more than willing to pass those duties to onsite staff.
Good work environment
ASSISTANT PARTS MANAGER CNY FARM SUPPLY (Current Employee) –  Cortland, NYJune 4, 2018
Love the coworkers and coming to work everyday. Doing something different everyday makes the day go by faster. It's a great joy to work with the public.
Disappointed
ASSISTANT COMMUNITY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  TexasMay 22, 2018
Hi,
Company does not support staff. I have worked for this company twice and nothing has changed. Maybe a different region, but this region has a lot of ongoing problems
Domino Effect
Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 21, 2018
I am absolutely appalled at what this company has become. I used to take pride in working for Cortland when team awesome overseen Ohio. After team heroes took over, I slowly watched the Ohio portfolio plummet. Promoting people with no experience. Those that deserved recognition were taken for granted and ignored. If you are anything less than a manager, you ARE replaceable and you will absolutely feel that way. When your concerns are voiced, you then become a target. There is no structure within the Ohio portfolio anymore. Everything is Property specific - meaning when Community Managers shift, everything shifts based on what THEY want. The Community Managers abuse their power because they know they’re protected. This causes toxic environments causing animosity & personal vendettas! How can you create value for a better life when your associates aren’t valued? Also, kiss your personal life and family goodbye as you will work off the clock and extended hours just to stay afloat of their overflowing expectations! It is very well known that the Ohio associate retention is awful. Do something about it. Give praise to those that truly deserve it before you lose more of your long standing good associates. Pay more attention to the opinions of your Resident Experience Managers & leasing staff rather than JUST the Business Managers & Community Managers. Hold your Director of Operations & Area Operations Manager to the same standards as your other associates. (Do the right thing for the right reason. Grow together and play as a team. Listen with your heart and your mind. Have the courage  more... to be better.)  less
Pros
Commission standards, benefits & PTO accumulation

Comment – July 13, 2018

Ouch, that was not a fun review to read. I’m sorry things didn’t work out for you at Cortland and that you feel like some of our latest changes haven’t lived up to your expectations. Our retention , resident satisfaction, and overall business metrics have shown us otherwise – we are seeing an upward trend in Ohio. I would love to personally address your concerns and am available at priscila.mattingly@cortlandpartners.com or you can call our 24/7 hotline at 1.800.461.9330. In the meantime, I am personally assessing the situation in Ohio to ensure that both our residents and associates are getting the same great Cortland experience across the board

Worst Place to work
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 15, 2018
Cortland has no integrity and I would not recommend working there unless you want to work 14 to16 hours days including holidays. They have no true leaders that understand the industry and fly by the seat of there pants. They unfortunately leave there subs in tuff situations when they are on a 30 day payment schedule and have to fight to get paid in 100. If you heard a bad story about Cortland you can bet its true and not just someone blowing off steam!!
Pros
Cons
No leadrship

Comment – May 20, 2018

Hey, there. Your review is very concerning. Upon reading it, I’m alarmed that you have concerns that should be addressed through the proper channels. We take all of the allegations you mentioned seriously. Not knowing who you are or where you’re working, it’s hard to address your concerns. If you’d like to remain anonymous, please call Convercent, our 24/7 anonymous hotline, at 1.800.461.9330 to express your concerns so we can properly address them. You can also take advantage of our open-door policy by reaching out to me, Priscila Mattingly at priscila.mattingly@cortlandpartners.com.

summary
Leasing Professional (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 28, 2018
Offer a professional, yet friendly, atmosphere in the leasing center/clubhouse and any other areas where the prospective residents and current residents might interact.
Don't waste your time
Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLApril 16, 2018
Management doesn't know what they are doing and are all over the place as far as renovations go. I wouldn't work for this company again and wouldn't recommend it for a tenant either.
productive
Leasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAApril 3, 2018
At the time was a new company and I move too another company for better position and better paid however was a good company to work for staff was great
Supervisor
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 2, 2018
A typical day work entails checking with time members to get outstanding tickets and work orders completed for tenants by order of importance. Maintain order on property and complete ordering of inventory of property.
One of the BEST!
Assistant Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 16, 2018
I left Cortland Partners twice. They gave me my first shot in property management. I'm forever grateful! They are one of the best. Great company. Go Cortland!
Pros
Salary, Company Culture, Over All GREAT company!
Cons
Overall.... I don't have anything bad to say about Cortlanda!
Upper managment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 24, 2018
The Workload is stressful and corporate is quick to point the finger instead of fixing the situation. There is a person in corporate that treats people horribly. If you can handle a heavy workload and stressful enviroment the pay is good and you may get promoted even if you arent ready.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Work load and upper managment
Placing blame on others
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  TexasFebruary 16, 2018
Managers place blame on others for there bad decisions instead of taking responsibility and there for you will get wrote up for there mistakes. Even if you can prove it, that don't matter as they won't apologize for not investigating first before they act as now the upper management would look bad for wrongfully writing up someone. Also short staffed for long periods of time and yet you are expected to still manage the work load and if you beg long enough they will finally get people to help. You aren't given the tools to succeed even though they have support people to help but that is just a PR stunt cause all they do is put you under the complainer column.
Pros
Cortlands owner and his values
Cons
Upper management dont reflect the owners values
Very friendly and organized company
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 8, 2018
I enjoy the people that work for Cortland partners, from the people in corporate to the people onsite. They are very flexible with their employees availability.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cortland. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight