Cost Cutters Family Hair Salon Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
great place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hermantown, MNJuly 11, 2018
I enjoyed working at Cost Cutters! It gave me the opportunity to hone my computer skills and greeting skills. I met a lot of people and enjoyed helping out in the salons
Fun work place
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Owensboro, KYJuly 7, 2018
Love it here! The new owners are awesome people to work for and the listen to you. They are awesome to help work around schedules and give us plenty of educational classes to help further our knowledge!
Walk in hair salon
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLJune 27, 2018
Shift work to include morning and evening shifts;
Opened 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM, Sunday - Saturday;
Assistant Manager, position included higher level of responsibilty and duties.
Pros
Healthcare and vacation time
Cons
Shift work and open 7 days a week
Fun, loving family
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Poplar Grove, ILJune 20, 2018
We are a small tight knit salon. I work with 2 other girls and would consider them my work family. I love going to work everyday and know I will learn something new when I'm there
Cons
minimum wage
Enjoyed the customers
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMay 24, 2018
While I did not always appreciate the way the salon was run, I did enjoy meeting new clients daily and making them feel special. I would not recommend this position for a stylist looking to make money, but if you're in it solely to meet new people daily this may be the salon for you.
great place to work
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, WIMay 19, 2018
Great place to work if you are a team player. It can be micro managed but in general as long as you do your work its fine.. I have nothing bad to say.
not my cup of tea
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMay 11, 2018
I didn't like working for this company at all. My first week out of school I was thrown to the wolves and had to fight for myself. I was told I needed to do eight minutes haircuts because that was standard time frames on haircuts and it was ridiculous for a new stylist. After my 6 week trail I left and started at a new salon and never looked back.
fun
Salon Stylist (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAMay 7, 2018
Salons are always fun. The work and atmosphere are what you make it. Although the management wasn't always involved, it was a fun place to work and the guests always seemed to leave happy
Pros
good hours
Cons
no benefits
Productive and busy job, many opportunities to learn
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEMay 6, 2018
I learned a lot in my time working at Cost Cutters, they also have many opportunities for advancement in the industry. I learned a lot about different haircutting techniques.
stressful place to work
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Oro Valley, AZApril 17, 2018
I worked at my cost cutters location for almost 5 years, in that time I went through 3 terrible lazy managers and watched 6 stylists come into my salon only to leave shortly after. If you're looking to work more than your fair share and do the work of 3 other employees while they all sit in the back and eat, then this job is for you!! And don't waste your time bringing your issues to your district leader, they are more concerned with what's for lunch, what free service they can get or what manager they can be buddy buddy with, then when you do have an issue they will tell you to "write them a letter" only to do absolutely nothing about it and you continue to do everything all by yourself. The scheduling is an absolute joke, they say you rotate weekends or sunday's and as soon as your coworkers or managers find out you like those days off they make sure you work the most. Believe me when I tell you this has been the worst job I've ever had. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was to pay my bills.
Pros
Couldn't find any if I tried
Cons
Unfair work load, disgusting work environment, lazy management, unrealistic and unachieveable corporate demands
Fun, relaxed place to work
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IAApril 13, 2018
I enjoyed working at Cost Cutters. I did haricuts, hair color, eyebrow waxing. I also answered phones and scheduled appointments. I helped put away stock. I recommend hair products for clients to use at home.
fast paced salon
Cosmetologist/Manager (Former Employee) –  Superior, WIApril 10, 2018
I worked full and part time positions. They had various training classes. Management was good and bad. I didn't like how they treated their hardworking stylist, but slackers got away with things. I loved my clients.
Pros
great location and great customers
Cons
low pay
Productive work place
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIApril 2, 2018
My job was to make people look good. I specialized in hair color. I had a lot of clientele built up from working there for so long as well as being good at what I do. Other duties other than being a stylist were answering the phone, scheduling appointments, cleaning, and sales.
Pros
Free hair services
Cons
short or no breaks
Poor enviroment
LEAD STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Bristol, VAMarch 30, 2018
I took a job there and was very disappointed in the atmosphere of the shop. There was employees there who didn't perform their job and didn't know what they were doing there was a lot of drama all the time
Fun
Stylist/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIMarch 28, 2018
I enjoyed working for there, but once I decided to go to school for Paralegal, I decided I needed to start pursuing other opportunities to help once I finished school.
Not a bad place to work if you like a faster paced salon setting
Senior Hairstylist/manager (Former Employee) –  Richland Center, WIMarch 26, 2018
Depending on location of the salon the hours of operation were not always desirable. If salon was located inside another store such as Wal-Mart you were open on some holidays and Sundays. The plus side is they do have paid holidays and vacation.
I truly think this is one of the best franchised salons I have worked for
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Portland, TXMarch 15, 2018
great place to work, they have a Class almost monthly, paid vacation, paid holidays at the location I was working in Portland Texas. They have a good selection of color and hair care products.
Pros
Classes, paid vacation time, good positive enviroment.
Cons
meetings on days off.
Good Place to Work
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 6, 2018
If you work hard on building your own career this is a great place for you. In this field, you need to be self-aware and make sure that you are building your own clientele. Cost Cutters has a great base and branding so you will have a good walk in clientele so it is up to each stylist to keep them coming in, so if they do, they can be very successful at this company.
Good
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Franklin, MAFebruary 12, 2018
I learned more about cutting at cost cutters than my previous job and it was fast paced for the most part. The hardest part of the job was the scheduling because you didn't have the same days off and I have a child so it wouldn't work for me. ALso they do not have a receptionist.
Pros
Can be fast paced at times
Cons
Can be slow at times.
Busy environment due to the location but always an exciting experience
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEFebruary 1, 2018
The location of the salon was open environment with all sorts of costumer entering. My day usually consist of providing a happy greeting to customer with a warm smile, as well as making appointments for them and cashing them out after their hair appointment. In free time I would help around the Salon to make sure it was always kept clean and well organized at all time(sweeping, Laundry, inventory stocking)
Pros
discounts on products