Cost Plus World Market Employee Reviews

Worst Job I've Ever Had
Point of Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 24, 2018
Very poorly managed. Upper management relies on middle management and rarely follows up with employee or customer complaints.
I met some great people here, some of my very best friends. But it was an overall terrible experience. It was a terrible work environment all around.
Pros
Met some great people there
Cons
Short breaks, no support from management
Accountability and work load
Supervisor of Operations (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZSeptember 22, 2018
As a company they spend a lot of time with training. In store work load and time frames were unrealistic. Accountability and follow though was not part of our general managers managing skills which lead to turn over within the store.
easy going, not stressful
Associate (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CASeptember 21, 2018
Typical day is between 4-7 hours. job was only part time so you did not get many hours for the week unless you were some type of specialty or management.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
not a lot of hours.
Horrible
Hourly supervisor/manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 13, 2018
Awful place to work. Not a good structured environment Not a lot of pre training for job on and off the sales floor.. not a team place to work at all.
Pros
Cons
to many
Cost Plus
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  El Segundo, CASeptember 11, 2018
It's overall a great environment to work at. The team is wonderful when trained efficiently. The only obstacle is being short handed when working with guest that want their furniture now. Its such a small store that you might only have 3 people in one shift and it sometimes becomes exhausting. It teaches you how to balance multiple guest and how to give great customer service to keep your guest coming back. Its a fast paste store so you will stay busy if your the type that likes to move. You will develop phone skills and online services and also Ship to Store services. Make sure to stay physically fit as there is a lot of furniture carry outs by hand.
Pros
fast paste
Cons
short breaks, under staffed
Fun and Productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 5, 2018
World Market is an extremely fun environment to work in, the management was great and the people were good to work with. I felt like I gained a lot of experience working with them
Fun Place to work
Assistant Buyer (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CASeptember 3, 2018
Everyone at Cost Plus is so down to earth and energetic. There are a LOT of meetings, and the work-life balance is not so great. But you are surrounded by good people.
Good discount. Great team to work with.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 30, 2018
I did get some development training. Learned a lot about wine. Enjoyed training a developing employees under my care.

Downside was having to run shifts with too little people. Often having to lift furniture 15 feet up with no safety support.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Dangerous environment
The Tigard Location is a Great Store to Work in!
Store Supervisor/Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORAugust 28, 2018
The GM at this location is fantastic and truly cares about his team. I have only worked here for a year in a management position and I would say that there is definitely room to move up. The only thing would recommend to a new applicant, especially in the management realm, is that you need to fight for the pay you want before you accept the offer, the company will otherwise low ball you. Other than that this has been a great place to work with fun people and awesome product. You are never bored!!
Very beneficial, But extremely demanding, some states and districts are much better than others.
Logistics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZAugust 25, 2018
Cost Plus World Market can be very beneficial to an employee in that there isn't a ceiling put on what they can learn about not only the company, but retail sales in general. However, some districts and some states are far better performing and are much more demanding. The skill level and learning curve can be drastic based on where you are working.
Pros
Great benefits package offered to full time employees, an extremely open minded company that prides itself on diversity within its staff.
Cons
Inconsistent in terms of performance level throughout districts. Regardless of performance, it can take a long time to grow within the company.
interesting environment
Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Allen Park, MIAugust 23, 2018
fun place to work, interesting products and furniture from around the world, encourages staff to learn about coffee, tea, beer and wine selections, typical benefits offered
Pros
tasting and sampling food & drink events
Cons
weekends and evening retail schedule
Awesome products but not a great place to make a career at
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 23, 2018
I could spend all day shopping at World Market. Their products actually come from all over the world and they are always changing it up with seasonal items. You would always run into customers who were from different countries because there were items from their home that they would come in to buy. Work life there, however, was on the stressful side. There never seemed to be adequate staff to run the store and the staff that was there was not paid sufficiently the the level of work expected.
Management was not my favorite
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 20, 2018
The job was fine except my managers didnt like me asking questions even though I literally didn't know anything. One manager frequently changed his opinion on me from week to week.
Typical Retail Job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 17, 2018
I was hired on for the holiday season for 10/hr, and got 20 hours a week if I was lucky. I had to deal with rude customers and rude supervisors. I had to clean up the store when closing. Stock room was a mess, making it difficult to find items for a customer.
Great, until...
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 12, 2018
I once requested that I could take a week off, something that I cleared with the General Manager a month prior when I was hired. My manager at the time laughed at me, telling me I couldn't take time off because I hadn't been working there long enough, despite me informing them that I had cleared this before I was even hired. The refused to let me file for time off and then proceeded to mock me throughout the rest of the day.
I quit the next day.
friendly place
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CAAugust 10, 2018
i have a brother that still work there. i would stay at the company if i wasn't a temp. but the agency pay me 12.00 dollar per hour when i sign up they told me 13.50. so i have to leave
What a great place to work
Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2018
World Market is the best! It was so much fun to work there. There is always something going on to keep you busy. Everyone that i worked with was awesome. Great management and training.
Pros
Just a happy place
Cons
Late nights during the holidays
Ability to think for myself
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Avon, OHAugust 8, 2018
I have not work for this employer in over 15 years. I do recall being able to to think for myself and was empowered to control various functions of my job without overbearing supervision.
Pros
No micro managment
Cons
at times and overly loos work structure
Best part time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCAugust 3, 2018
I got lucky and had the best managers and coworkers. I normally worked the register and met many people from all over the world. Excellent company culture.
Pros
Enjoyable shifts
Cons
Lack of hours
Wonderful Place to Work
S ales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Santa Cruz, CAAugust 2, 2018
I did not work very long at Cost Plus World Market, but the time I spent there was wonderful. I enjoyed working with the staff, great management, emphasis on getting to know your coworker which I really appreciated, and a very positive team environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cost Plus World Market. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight