Cost Plus World Market Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Cool Environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 19, 2018
A very good place to work to learn a lot of new skills and things about foreign items. Coworkers are supportive and become like family. I believe the managers (above the stores control) have unrealistic expectations and leave the store to run on bare bones from day to day working. Can be stressful. Christmas gets very busy and then hours drop to almost nothing. It is worth it though.
Pros
Relaxed environment, good coworkers
Cons
Stretched thin, carrying large furniture, not fully equipped with training
Corrupt Management Unchecked by Corporate
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Alameda, CAJuly 18, 2018
Closed on Thanksgiving, that is about as good as it gets. Senior management allowed to get away with corruption including intimidating works, retaliating against complaints, and working less than 40 hours a week. company doesn't make it mandatory for salaried people to clock in and out so they can get away with coming and going as they please without a system of checks&balances. HR does not have the back of workers at all and tells you to get in touch if you experience retaliation but then turns a blind eye. stores are all about cloak and dagger smoke and mirrors. as long as the store looks good for the dm corporate wont dig any further in to the messed up operations and corrupted politics and cliques in the workplace. Steer clear.
Pros
Thanksgiving off
Cons
Hardly any lunch breaks, corrupt managers
Great work environment
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 18, 2018
General managers tend not to lead by example. That is the only con. Other than that I love the brand, co-workers, and customers. However, the schematic workload changes rapidly and there are never enough hours to complete tasks. Full time 70 hours every pay period and there is no overtime.
Pros
Discount, flexible schedule, ability to grow
Cons
General Managers do not lead by example which hurts the stores productivity.
Only 2-3 Nights a week
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAJuly 15, 2018
The atmosphere was nice, and the system was pretty efficient. The only issue I had was it only offered 2 eight hour shifts a week, and sometimes a half day.
Please change the Explorer policy to be more employee friendly.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  College Station, TXJuly 7, 2018
World Market was an overall fun place for me to work. I got to lift and chuck furniture and trash, build simple shelves, delicately recreate schematics, talk to some wonderful people, help people get stuff into their cars, and I had good work relations with most of my coworkers. The workplace culture right now is that your Explorer and SMS pull in defines whether you get hours or not. Having my hours cut because I had a string of impatient people come through my line just seems like injustice to me. The whims of customers should not decide whether someone can pay their rent or not. So yeah, that's pretty hard to deal with. Also gossip runs here like diarrhea on a hot day.
Pros
Relaxed coworker environment, simple tasks
Cons
Hours based on email subscribers brought in, gossip
Great place to work when the management team was strong.
Manager (Current Employee) –  AlabamaJuly 3, 2018
What a fun place to work. Everyone gets along great. The store is run as a team, not as individuals. Everyone truly cared about each other and we supported each other. The products are unique and diverse. Some things you can't find anywhere else. Great place to work part time or full time.
Pros
Fun, unique, diverse
Cons
Retail, weekends, nights
fun workplace awful hours
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 2, 2018
not enough hours can not really advance, not challenged, great managers, however! The hardest part of the job is selling rewards program to customers. Must be able to lift at least 25lbs.
I love this company!
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 1, 2018
I wanted to work a job in retail so I chose to work for Cost Plus World Market. I am never underwhelmed by the selection of products when I come into work!
Fun place to work but definitely not going to pay the bills.
Head of Gourmet (Current Employee) –  Buford, GAJune 25, 2018
I have worked for this company for three years. It has been fun but stressful at times. You get a pretty relaxed environment but management and supervisors lack communication skills.
Pros
Relaxed scheduling
Cons
Hours constantly cut, no full time, and no benefits
Best place to Work!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJune 24, 2018
I loved working for World Market! The team was so great and the customers were amazing too! I loved seeing new products and displaying them. My management team was strong and very amazing !
Pros
Best job!
Cons
Low pay
Best Job I've Ever Had
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Goodyear, AZJune 21, 2018
If you're just looking for something part time, this is honestly the best place to work. My managers and my team are all amazing, they work with your school hours or if you have another part time job they work with you on that as well. Its so much fun to work there and as far as retail goes, this is as good as it gets. Highly recommend.
Pros
Great work environment, flexible hours, great management
Cons
Minimum wage
It’s a fun place to work
Cost plus (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 14, 2018
I was a cashier at cost plus for about 7 months it was hard in the beginning because you had to remember the codes of the food but I got the hang of it with in a couple of weeks it became easy I enjoyed working with the customers and meeting new people I worked hard and fast
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Fair
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 13, 2018
It was a fine work place and I met very good people there. I had a long history at this company I have friends that I met there that are still my friends today and it gave a wonderful experience to me.
Pros
Great Products for sales
Cons
Not Enough hours
Decent job
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAJune 12, 2018
Its a decent job for minimum wage with a professional management and friendly coworkers. Has a positive work environment, has good facilities for employes.
fun work place!
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 9, 2018
overall its a fun work place for a student looking for a side job that pays for his or hers entertainment during th school year. other then that the place is ok.
Pros
great knowledge of products
benefits
Very Friendly Place
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Silverdale, WAJune 7, 2018
I felt right at home when i first got hired. Coworkers were so inviting and supportive while training and working together. It was always a friendly place to be and a good place to work.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Short hours
great place and great people
Front End Cashier and Sales (Current Employee) –  Oro Valley, AZJune 7, 2018
everyone gets along and the atmosphere is one of real teamwork; you have to be flexible and be able to bend and lift as well as available for other projects as needed
Pros
employers and managers
Cons
not many hours if you need them
Fun and friendly staff
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  oakland, CAJune 5, 2018
Customers come back not only because of the unique selection of products, but because of the awesome staff as well! staff is always out to help each other and answer questions. Customers are the main priority and so lots of problem solving and creativity are used daily to help fulfill their needs. Things can become very busy but the great staff is always there to help work as a team.
Pros
employee discount on yummy snacks.
Cons
unorganized training on new employees.
typical day at work
Packer/Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Windsor, VAJune 3, 2018
Fast pace environment where I use packing skills and accuracy to pack the correct product. Using a walkie pallet lift truck, I move pallets to build orders for a specific retailer. I am responsible for loading material that has been stored ensuring that the correct number and type of product is packed and ready to be shipped.
Basic customer service with little flare
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAMay 28, 2018
Typical work days had little variation from working at a cash register with occasional moments of assisting customers on the floor. I learned how to work at a cash register as well as basic customer service skills (answering phones, taking mail orders). Management had a clear hierarchy and was relatively well organized. The hardest part of the job was handling upset customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting customers using my personal skills and knowledge of the product.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cost Plus World Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

76out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Cost Plus World Market.

Powered by Comparably