Cost Plus World Market Employee Reviews

Festive and Functional
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenbrae, CANovember 18, 2018
With so much stuff under one roof, there is so much that can be learned at this company. From the furniture, to the world-centric food stores, to the beer and wine wing, and the world of knick knacks.
Cost plus was inconsistant
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Kildeer, ILNovember 18, 2018
The Store managers and district managers last 2 years I worked were selfish and were scared of losing there position and the were not very helpful. So they would train you on certain things. Also vacations were hard to schedule
Pros
great hours great benefits
Cons
upper management not helpful
Working there was good, but not great
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VANovember 18, 2018
The individuals I had the opportunity to work with were great for the most part, except for a few that were trying to pull me to their side. As in that, I mean there was a falling out of a few individuals and it negativly affected the workplace. However, the job itself was good and fairly straightforward. I got to learn to be a jack-of-all-trades in the retail business by being there
Pros
20 percent off
Cons
Short breaks
Fun, except for the Holiday season.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 13, 2018
Management can be catty, but if u can learn to get along with them then it is fine. Worked part-time, so no benefits except for a 20% discount. No real incentive to stay.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Short breaks
Just a number not a name
Night Stock Crew (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CANovember 9, 2018
They really didn't try to think of you as a person sometimes. The competitive nature between managers was a little gross. Truly a shame, the products and what they stood behind weren't so bad of a concept. The clientele was even decent. You could just tell that the management was under a lot of stress, therefore relayed the stress out onto the employees
Pros
Awesome merchandise and things from around the world
Cons
Not much for benefits, and extremely stressed out management
Pro and Con's with Good perks
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 8, 2018
good perks with benefits ,PTO, sick days
high volume store / always busy
union store
never a dull moment
high volume of call outs on a daily basis's
high turn over with management
long but manageable work hours
high turn over with associates
long term associates that need retraining/ lack abilities to embrace change
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
high turn over
Great place to work.
Point of sale Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MANovember 5, 2018
Loved the management, co-workers, vine and fast pace. Manader was great, very enthusiastic. Had a lot of fun, felt appreciated. It was a very positive experience, wish I could have stayed!
Pros
Discount, gun work enviroment and great vibe.
Cons
Being on feet all the time=retail.
Gave me plenty of opportunity
Logistics Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 2, 2018
Gave me lots of opportunity for advancement. Has really great vacation/float/sick time. The culture is amazing an very laid back and enjoy my general manager a lot.
Cons
Pay
Stressful but rewarding place to work for
Gourmet Department Head November (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CANovember 2, 2018
My year spent at World Market taught me so very much, about how political corporations and management can become. I appreciate the growth I made personally within the customer service realm; however, I do not appreciate how I was treated. There was a manager of which treated employees poorly- rude, condescending, spoke in a raised yelling tone primarily, and was the root cause of the store's incredibly high turnover rate. I went through all the proper channels in order to report my one-on-one dealings with this individual personally, to no avail. As the problems escalated, my time there became more and more stressful. My responsibilities increased and I couldn't keep up. When I expressed this to management, I was told to "figure it out". Well, I did. I quit. The management team at World Market pushed me out.
Excellent starting position for Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CANovember 2, 2018
I learned a lot about how to effectively sell products and promote free rewards both on the sales floor and at the register. I also did a little bit of everything, spanning from go-backs to stock checks, communicating between stores about what is in stock and product holds, to actually building shelves and furniture. I also worked the sample booth where I promoted seasonal food items such as candy, sodas, chips, and cheeses. Closing required lots of attention to detail and good cleaning habits.
Pros
Fun staff to work with
Cons
Not enough hours were given to me in the last few months working there. Granted, I was sick a lot back then.
Slow paced but fun
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Visalia, CAOctober 29, 2018
The hardest part was figuring out how to deal with customers. Usually the managers already had it all worked out though. Slow before the holidays and then it picks up alot.
Pros
Discounts
customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Watauga, TXOctober 25, 2018
Fast paced with nice customers. I enjoyed the work as it went by quickly. The hardest part was getting large boxes from the warehouse. I liked my co-workers. It was a fun place to work.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short lunch
Not so good management and slow paced
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAOctober 24, 2018
This job was good as a full time student that was only looking for extra money. However, the managers didn’t communicate with each other. I found that they would get mad at me for things I wasn’t trained in because they assumed the other managers trained me for that. They would also talk down on the younger employees (about 3 or 4 students) compared to the other employees which were all 40+. This job requires no skill and is filled with a TON of busy work. I found myself just standing at the front of the store for half of my shift doing nothing or straightening up something for the 5th time. It was a relaxing job but it was poorly managed and not a good environment for students at this location.
Pros
Food in break room, relaxed, not fast paced
Cons
Poorly Treated, Bad Management Communication
A typical day at work
Department Head (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVOctober 24, 2018
This place has very poor management and its a toxic work environment. They have very few workers that will actually do work so the work always falls onto one person.
Scheduling Nightmares/Noncompetitive pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  ArizonaOctober 23, 2018
The management will argue that the pay is comparable - sure, if you're a manager. Otherwise, there are several stores just in the strip that pay 2-3$ more for the same job. Mention this and they will tell you that working there has more panache than other stores - there's nothing cool about making less than you're worth, hence the poor applicants and inability to keep the store staffed. They do not have PTO accrual for part time. Only management and a couple department heads get vacation/sick/benefits. Management will regularly schedule outside your availability. Lunches and breaks are regularly overlooked by LODs because they're too busy to ensure coverage. Management will continuously ask you for more, no matter what you do. Met your signup goal for the day? Congrats, now we expect you to double it! 20% goals are really 40% goals, and so on. It is NEVER enough, and you will not make a penny more for giving 110%. And as for those signups, you need to hawk not only the Rewards program, but also the texting that goes with it. So you consistently bombard customers to the point of harassment - because "if you don't get 'em on the floor, get 'em at the register." Doesn't matter if they give a hard pass the first time, you HAVE to pester them to appease management. But it's all part of the business mentality, as a manager recently put it when vacation requests started coming in over summer ("deny them all - business needs first"), and then blacked out the months of Nov/Dec - not just a couple weeks, but the ENTIRE 2 MONTHS. You are a cog - don't give them any extra, they wont repay  more... it.  less
Pros
Very helpful co-workers, customers are friendly, flexible schedule
Cons
noncompetitive pay, scheduling errors, poor communication among management and staff, poor hiring and training practices
Great Place to Work
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Farmington, UTOctober 22, 2018
great structure to the work environment, wonderful products, diverse culture, the hardest part of the job is knowing where to find everything, the most enjoyable part of the job is all the different items that they have.
Perfect for Part Time
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 18, 2018
If you are looking for something part time, this may be the place for you. The workload is exceptionally manageable in comparison to my previous part time jobs. A friendly team and good management makes this a fun place to return to daily.
Pros
Snacks, Work-Life Balance, Steady Breaks
Cons
Room for advancement varies
A Good Job for Students or the Retired
STOCK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTOctober 16, 2018
Working at World Market is perfect if you're in need of a flexible, relaxed, fast-paced job to get you through school or as a pass time, but it's very hard to climb the ladder and career advancement is unlikely.

The management is polite and cooperative, though complaints often don't get resolved.

The best parts of this job were the co-workers, the employee discount, and just the fun work environment.

The worst part of this job, as with any retail job, is the customers. However, providing excellent customer service is exceedingly easy at World Market, so it's pretty good overall.
Pros
20% off discount, plenty of breaks, good environment
Cons
Management delegates responsibilities to associates
Fast paced environment, Friendly coworkers, Busy workload
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  2552 Taylor Street, San Francisco, 94133October 12, 2018
Days here could be very busy during holiday and seasons and could be dead on other days. Cashiering can get busy with heavy workflow of customers lined up, Team Lift with furniture carryout is optional but very helpful. Must explore the store to know customers questions and concerns about products, Answer phone call to direct to the proper department, The hardest part of the job, I must say on busy game days for the Giants or any holiday parade can mess with your travels to get to work, Customers who give you a hard time for an item they want to return without receipts. or past due date on receipts. Flood of customers with short amount of employees on the floor. But you have a good team to help you out and good Communication is a must.
Pros
Friendly helpful Team, Benefits, Big break room, Full 8 hour shifts, healthcare. overtime pay
Cons
Short on staff busy days, Homeless
Point of Sales Position
P.O.S Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAOctober 11, 2018
While working in Point of Sales, I enjoyed the early hours and being off work fairly early in the day.
Discounts are awesome, work family can be great!
Management can use some fine tuning.
Point of Sales has it's ups and downs.. Would I do it again?
Sure why not.
Pros
Discounts and making new friends
Cons
No benefits for PT and PT is the only option

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cost Plus World Market. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight