CoStar Group Employee Reviews

Solid job security & benefits
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 13, 2018
If you're looking for a job that is secure whether the market is up or down, Costar is your place. They offer a solid benefits package, 401k match, stock for hitting milestones, snacks in the kitchen, etc.

The work as a Research Associate is SUPER repetitive. You call the same people in your portfolio every 30 days in an endless cycle. But sales comps mix it up. They're easy and the more you do the better you look.
Environment
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 27, 2018
8am to 5:30pm.
30 minute or an hour lunch break
40 hours a week
Prospecting is key
Cool Managment staff
learn by yourself how to sell over phone
Phone calls all day every day
80-100 calls a day
Managers are helpful
a great place to start out
No Management
Tenant Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 25, 2018
No guidelines to follow

No management to rely on

No advancement

No encouragement for promotions

Get talked down too

Taught to pester clients on the phone
Stressful workplace
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 13, 2018
I hated working there. They basically have the employees stealing information. I hated that job because it made me feel less human. Employees competed for bonuses that were promised to them for meeting quota.
Pros
Cons
The company is shady at best.
Good Company to Start working at
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 9, 2018
CoStar is a great job right out of college. If you are looking for a job that will get you used to the corporate life this is a good choice. High Turnover rate. They do not compensate you for putting in extra effort almost everyone there recieved the same bonus regardless of their work out put
Do Not Work Here
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJuly 8, 2018
If i could give this company zero stars I would. It is an incredibly high stress job for no apparent reason. There are large tv screens with live stats of where you stand on your team, in the office, and in the company at any given time. Making a 90 second call is the only thing that matters to upper management, not the actual research that needs to be done for the CRE professionals who use the subscription.
Pros
Free yogurt and hummus, great coworkers, don't have to think about the job when you go home
Cons
Literally everything else
Good place to work enjoyed time there
Tenant Researcher (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 26, 2018
Great company for a fresh college graduate they train in house, easy to do work only issues are metrics are high, great perks and even has own chef! Highly recommend
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Metrics too high
a typical day at work
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Fort Hood, TXJune 15, 2018
long day with 10 building to clean by yourself not enough people to help you, long drives somethings lack of communication with manager and secretary.
Pros
hours
Cons
not enough time or people
State of Flux
Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 11, 2018
Working for any company, especially an information company change is inevitable. Unfortunately with CoStar change happens far too often, and the expectations and metrics take far too long to catch up with the goals. With a "yes man" corporate culture, change is always implemented and never questioned or given constructive feedback before implementation. This causes headaches, angst, and is constantly happening without any transparency. While the company provides great benefits, a comfortable working environment, it lacks communication with its own employees, and pushes back against any criticism.
Stress-free Position
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 9, 2018
My position was relatively stress-free. The environment as a whole was unpleasant at times due to the dissatisfaction of other employees within CoStar Group. My position held no challenge and offered no way to move up within the company.
a glorified call center
Commercial real estate market analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 21, 2018
I would not recommend this company to anyone. The company does not value its employees and the company has a high turnover rate. Executive management has no idea how do effectively run the company.
Pros
great co workers, benefits
Cons
working for this company sucks the life out of you
Great office life with amazing work/life balance
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 21, 2018
The job was very laid back. They did an amazing job making sure you never worked weekends or to late during the week. The benefits package was one of the best i have ever seen before. the package came out to $22,000 a year. They did not do a good job of promoting from within, they would always hire people from the outside to come in to higher positions. I think that made it difficult to run day to day operations and also made it hard to keep some employees motivated.
Pros
Free lunches a lot, great office life.
Cons
Short breaks, hired from outside instead of promoting within.
it's a typical call center
TENANT SURVEYOR (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 21, 2018
It's a good place to start if you want to have a career in commercial real estate. You'll be able to learn all about markets and other real estate stuff. It is a call center though, if you can't handle calling people back to back, then it's not for you. It's also a large corporation, so it is a high rate for people not sticking with the job.
Pros
Great benefits, company parties, cafeteria, gym, good people
Cons
high volume of outbound calls, frequent corporate changes
Most Enjoyable part of the job
Executive Admin (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 16, 2018
Worked with an amazing team that was very dedicated, hard working and fun to be around. I wasn't there long enough to get a real sense of my job or the culture of the entire office.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no room for growth
Working For Costar Group!
Senior community Researcher/ On The Job Trainer (Current Employee) –  Buckhead, GAMay 11, 2018
Working with Costar Group was great at first, I could not believe that there was free food. The atmosphere was awesome and I could not wait to get to work; that was a couple of years ago. I have seen a lot of people leave and a lot of people get fired. Pay is not the same and some way some how upper management are always looking for new ways to cut bonuses. Everyday there is a different job to do besides the job that issuppose tobe done. Anyways, I want to bash this company because I feel I have learned more about corprate and have obtained some skills under my belt.
Pros
Free Food.
Cons
Upper management needs help.
Disjointed Management
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 8, 2018
They cannot seem to solve internal problems with research. The database is absolutely filled with chaotic information and the Upper management is playing whack-a-mole with their problems and they are falling behind.
Pros
The Food is free
Cons
Everytning else
Great opportunity for recent college grad.
Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 7, 2018
Great opportunity for recent college grad. Stressful environment from performance measurement. Free snacks/lunch is great; helps save money. Rough commute if outside DC.
Average Place to work
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 29, 2018
There's a lot of mixed feelings that come with working at CoStar. The work environment is great, I've enjoyed the people that I've worked with. However, the performance metric is not always realistic nor "fair". You could have someone that has 300 companies vs someone that has 50 companies and they are measured on the same performance scale (interview pace, call update frequency percentage, etc). If you have a smaller portfolio, you go through anxiety every day with how you are going to accomplish your metrics. So a lot of times the end results are not always a direct correlation of your efforts/skill which can be frustrating for competitive people.

The company itself does have some levels of disorganization when it comes to communication. Things get changed around at the last minute.

Pay and benefits were great. It is not something that is easy to come by.
Pros
Benefits, Great Pay, A lot of PTO
Cons
Difficult metrics
Great Pay, Disappointing Ending
Tenant Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 25, 2018
Great place to work if you are looking an easy job but be careful with the managers and stay on task. If they catch you taking longer than a 15 minute break you can get in trouble. I left for a summer internship in DC and was promised my job back by both my manager and the director of the tenant surveyors at the time but when I got back to Richmond neither would respond to any of my emails or calls. Disappointed that they would lie and then avoid an employee after we had a meeting prior to me leaving where everything was explained that I would be returning in August. This is not the first time I have heard of management lying to the employees and many of my friends have left since I have because of a "terrible work environment" where employee satisfaction is no longer valued.
Pros
Pay, Discounted lunch
Cons
Fast-pace, Management not understanding
CoStar Upper Management is TRASH
Tenant Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 24, 2018
CoStar is the WORST company you could work for! If you have an issue...deal with it yourself. Do not expect any assistance from anyone who was actually hired to help you. The culture is horrible and will drive you to drink. The work is so repetitive and boring that people get bored and find things to do such as stirring up drama. Please, for sake of sanity, steer clear of CoStar!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CoStar Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight