Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Very corporate environment
Hearing Aid Sales (Former Employee) –  North Riverside, ILDecember 8, 2018
Dealing with the time clock is not fun. Helping patients is rewarding. The four manufacturers representatives help to train and to keep your license current.
Costco is fast-paced and great career choice
Service Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Lihue, HIDecember 8, 2018
Costco Wholesale is a fast paced well paying workplace with high demand of member care. Benefits at Costco is great my in order to rank up so to speak and the pay, it takes quite some time. But once top out pay is reached, seems like Smooth Sailing to me. Overall Costco is great beginner and career choice for a job.
Pros
Great benefits and long-term pay raises
Cons
Takes quite some time to reach pay raise, very fast pace often feeling understaffed.
Productive & Fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 8, 2018
Costco is an excellent environment, the management is stern & friendly along with your coworkers. The pay is good and your chance for advancement is guaranteed.
It's ok
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Thornton, CODecember 7, 2018
Costco has been a great place to work while going to college since they always work with your school schedule. I currently work full -time and go to school on my two regular days off. However, other option they offer are working limited part-time (only on the week ends), part-time, or student retention (working during summer and winter break).

This is a great place to move around different departments and gain a lot of skills, but only if you work part-time. If you are a full-time employee they will want to keep you in your designated departments and cross-training's are generally only available to part-time employees so you'd have to give up your full-time status.

This also a company known for their career track. Upper management employees make a good bit of money but this only becomes a real opportunity after working at Costco for 5-10 years considering all jobs posting within the company are based on seniority and THEN skill level.
Work/life is very difficult because getting anywhere close to regular business hours (9-5, Monday through Friday) also takes several years and you'd have to wait for those with more seniority to leave the company or retire.
Pros
Fantastic benefits and 401k options for part-time and full-time employees after 90 days
Cons
poor work/life balance
Productive and fun
Front End Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaDecember 6, 2018
I love Costco. It's fun and fast paced. I love the staff and my fellow co workers. It's especially fun around the holidays. Thanksgiving time I feel like is the busiest.
Fast paced
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CADecember 6, 2018
Show time ready all day every day. A need to make sure your going as fast as you can .Get them in get them out . Make sure you greet the members smiling
Enjoyed my time there, managment were fair
Store Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 6, 2018
Work hard but rewarding.
Management was fair
Benefits were above industry norm
Very clean store, employees took pride in the appearance
Collaborative working environment
teamwork was the norm
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Short work day
Great Employer for Students / Temporary
Vault Clerk (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDDecember 6, 2018
My experience with Costco was overall very good. I worked on the front end for a year and was lucky to get into administration for the next 3 years after that. If I would've been stuck on the front end, I would've ended up leaving earlier. The front end is hard work and repetitive. Working in administration was good. Supervisors and managers are a lot easier and better to deal with when you're an admin employee. As a front end employee, you feel like they're on top of you every second if you aren't constantly moving.

I worked as a vault clerk for 3 years. It was a great position but not much room for increased hours. Perfect part time hours for a student and benefits.

I say its a great temporary job (5 or less years) because long-term employees always told me to not get stuck there and seemed miserable most of the time I knew them. Once you get full time pay ($25+ and full time benefits), it's really impossible to leave and who wants to work 30 years in a grocery/retail store? Costco treats their employees really good. And that's wonderful. But the likelihood of you loving a life-long career at Costco is improbable.

Wage-- When I was employed, starting wage was 11.50. Now I believe its 13.00. When I left, I just got to 16.00/hour. Your wage increases are determined by how many hours you work. I worked probably an average of 28 hours for 4 years. It was decent paying.
Pros
Great Pay & Benefits.
Cons
Required 5 days/week for part-timers
its a seasonal job, wish i had more hours and more money
Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDDecember 6, 2018
i management is cool but alot of snitches and weirdos there, i only like a FEW peoples cause hey were all are adults. im a stocker there work 5am to 10am. the hardest part is the people that snitch on you when you dont do nothing lol.
Pros
one break
Cons
more hours and full time
fast paced good place to work if you want to take the tiem to advance
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CADecember 5, 2018
it is really hard to advance your pay in a short time for part timers. the do raises by how many hours that you have worked. it takes a long time to advance in the company. if you stick with it and make it work than it can be a great place to work.
Pros
free memberdhip
Cons
bad pay
My time at the Co
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 5, 2018
My Co-workers were great but the management was just inconsistent and constantly changing. Too many chiefs and not enough (well you know the saying) But overall the most I liked about the job was the friendly customers that I was able to service and visit with week after week. Good Company and I do miss my co-workers.
It’s ok
Costco membership assistant (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 5, 2018
It’s ok for a part time job but it’s not a career I want to progress in. Some of the managers and supervisors lack the skills and knowledge. Almost all the employees are unhappy.
Pros
The pay and the benefits
Cons
The management
Great company
Member Service Employee (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 5, 2018
Costco is a great company to work for. They are really straight-forward and helpful in all areas of their employee lives. Without their assistance i feel that I would not have made it to where i am now.
Pros
great people and solid pay
Cons
Lots of Hard work
Fast pace
Membership Clerk (Former Employee) –  East Peoria, ILDecember 5, 2018
Costco is a good place to work. Costco encourages learning. They help you take the time to deal with personal issues. They have great vacation and paid time off.
Good pay and benefits management was poor for morale
Night stocker forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 4, 2018
Costco had been a great place to work until the head of the company, Jim Senegal retired. Management seems to care less about the welfare and treatment of employees and more about their shareholder's bottom line. Otherwise I enjoyed working for the company, liked the job and did not mind working hard. I ran the employee club for Costco for more than 10 years which I really enjoyed because I bonded with my fellow employees, provided fun and exciting trips, parties and events for them to enjoy. I was told several times by management that I ran one of the most successful Costco Employee Clubs in the US. It was probably the most enjoyable venues I've ever experienced in a workplace environment.
Pros
Safety regulations good pay and benefits
Cons
Poorly trained managers, do not value employees
Great benefits low starting pay
CWT Returns Clerk (Current Employee) –  Issaquah, WADecember 4, 2018
No benefits for the first 90 days, sick time can be accrued, 2hrs every 2 weeks with no vacation or personal days until a year of employment. If you or a loved one gets sick within the first 90 days it will be counted against you in the form of a write up or possible termination.
If you “pass” the 90 day probation period and begin to pay into your benefits be careful there as well because agian, if anything happens (flat tire, sick kid in a single parent home) and you can’t make it in to work, if you don’t have the sick time accrued to cover your day out you’ll be written up for that as well.
In a perfect world we’d be healthy for a year and nothing unfortunate would happen and that is honestly Costco’s expectation.
The benefits are spectacular and it’s worth it to stick around IF you don’t mind living at poverty level and using food stamps for the first three years of employment.
Pros
Benefits, 401k, retirement plan
Cons
Doesn’t pay a livable wage
Review
Customer Service/Membership-Marketing (Current Employee) –  Alabaster, AL 35007December 4, 2018
Costco is an overall good company to work for with great benefits and good pay. I would recommend Costco to anyone, but it is a fast pace competitive job. If you cannot handle customer service and working in busy situations this is not the job for you.
Very good employer
Stocker (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  North whales PADecember 4, 2018
Great place to work at plenty of room for advancement with great benifits and 401k plans as long as you work hard at everything you do you will have no problem advancing in your carreer
Pros
Great benifits and treated fairly
Cons
Periods of down time
One of my Favorite Jobs
Demo Representative (Former Employee) –  Sand City, CADecember 4, 2018
I Loved my boss and co-worker. Had fun with customers & had great conversations. Had manageable hrs and was very close to home. Lunch was never a issue.
Good working environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2018
Good working environment, salary and friendly colleagues. I left because I have to relocate to other country, or else I will definitely work with this wonderful company.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Powered by Fairygodboss

4.3Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.