Cottey College

Working at Cottey College: 26 Reviews

United States26 reviews

jobworkworkinggreatpeopleenjoycampustime

Excellent place to work

Lots of hard work but plenty of support from management. Duties varied through the day, but projects often took multiple weeks to complete. Lots of different departments to choose from.

Fun to work with the students, not so much the staff

Some of the people are excellent to work with, others are not. Environment is very cliquey and they are not very accepting of new people or progressive ideas.

Pros

Free lunch, working with students

Cons

Management, environment

Cottey College insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

The climate of the institution is decreasing.

The culture of the institution is changing. The primary importance used to be the students. Now it seems to be money. For me, what was best about the school is eroding.

Pros

The students are great, So are the faculty, Educational resources are good, Nice campus, Located in small rural community in the Midwest.

Cons

Lots of turnover in administration in the last couple years, Direction from the top down is decreasing morale, Understaffed

Excellent place to work.

Good people to work with. Excellent culture and good work environment. Never a dull moment with an atmosphere of vibrant students. You won’t find a better place to work in Nevada, Missouri.

College job

It was nice working for the college I went too and it helped because I didn't have a car to get a job off campus. I would also recommend the school itself to any young girl.

There some great people to work with

They like to take short cuts and don't care about the little people . They do got some good benefits and work good around your family time and if time off

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Very Stressful

A great place to work, so long as you stay on top of everything.

While I worked for Cottey's library, I had a great time. My supervisors were initially understanding and very helpful. I wouldn't entirely fault them, as I know most of the blame lies on myself, but I began to fall behind due to personal reasons during my second year, and I was never informed that I was falling short of expectations until I was brought in at the end of the year. I know I should have taken initiative and asked them myself, but a heads-up would have been nice as well. Overall, so long as you show up, do the work, and regularly check in with your supervisors, it's a good place to make some extra cash and build up valuable skills.

Good

I was a student worker and their hours were flexible with my class schedule. I didn't feel overworked or that nobody cared about my personal live. The whole experience was great. If they had graduate programs, I'd happily still be there now.

Pros

Flexible hous

Cons

Limited hours for students

Great student job. Simple computer and filing tasks, great experience. I enjoyed the ladies in the office and the work kept me busy and engaged,which I appreciate.

good

Good place. Collaborative. Fun culture. Friendly coworkers. Management is interested in your success and there is a great support system. Diversity is key.

Good

Working as a receptionist was easy and fun. I was able to work on homework when not busy at the desk. I sort mail and say helo to the people that enter the front doors.

Typical College Work Study

Receptionist job, just like any other. What really made the difference was the culture of being a student and knowing all your classmates. The overall culture at Cottey is wonderful. The job is just like any other though,

Excellent job for student

I have enjoyed working here for nearly two years. I was able to meet so many people by giving tours to the campus and I ahve gained great job skills I am eager to apply in the future.

Challenging workplace that contributes to team building

Adapting to different personalities while reading various papers is a challenge, but well worth it because helping students succeed is the ultimate goal. As an English/Writing tutor, I encountered many obstacles in helping students understand their assignment, proper phrasing of texts etc. However, I thoroughly enjoy my job because the students grow, my colleagues are supportive, and my manager provides great tips and readings to help us better understand our tutoring responsibilities and how to treat our tutees.

Pros

great environment, enthusiastic workers, down time

Cons

slow

Nice overall

It's a college that helps students garner a level of experience. Most jobs are entree level and you can only work a set amount of hours. The people are nice and they are rather flexible.

Easy Job

This was an easy job to hold while going to school full time and living on campus. You got to interact more with the people you went to school with and make sure your dorm was safe.

Productive workplace conducive to creativity

I have thoroughly enjoyed working as a student assistant in the campus activities office. Many of the tasks I am assigned I often have the opportunity to apply my own creative touch. A typical day at work includes checking the office email and updating any information that needs to be added to the weekly student newsletter, going to retrieve the office's mail, then working on campus advertisements. The hardest part of the job is sometimes working on a campus activity a few days before the actual event. The management is wonderful and very understanding, and always willing to help out in any way they can. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to officially send out the weekly campus publication every Monday morning.

Productive and fun work envirionment

Wonderful balance between school and work load. Active involvement with all members on campus. I learned very valuable leadership, time management, and communications skills.

Pros

Social and leadership skills

Cons

Lack of sleep

Quack!

Cottey College is an amazing school and place to work. I've met some of my best friends there and I don't regret ever attending an all women's college and working there.

Administration cares little about employees.

Cottey is a Womens College. "The Power of Women." I enjoyed working there as Chemical Laboratory Assistant, Part- Time - for 8 years. It was nice to be of value to society - and to help the young ladies with their future. For the most part, the Professors were friendly. However: They decided to hire someone with a more advanced degree - and never told me. I waiited the entire summer for my new contract - but nothing arrived. I cannot say I am happy with the administration at Cottey. Miike

Pros

a very pretty campus

Cons

sudden and unexplained drastic decision making

Productive and Fun work place with great people and a great atmosphere.

Within a typical work day we serve many college students different types of food and drinks like sandwiches and coffees. There is a lot of communication between the servers and the customers, and it can become fast paced work very quickly. I have learned how to better work with a team in a fast paced environment and use various types of equipment. I also have learned how to train new workers as well as make quick decisions and give directions when I need to. The person who is in charge of the café is never in the kitchen when we are working and another woman and I have been given the responsibility to make sure everything gets done properly. My co-workers are very easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job would be when a machine does not work, such as the cash register, and everything has to be completed using a chart and mental math or a calculator. This is a hassle and slows everything else down but I continue to do what I have to to get the job completed, and make sure that the customer is happy. I enjoy the fast pace, as well as talking to all the customers.

Pros

free food and drinks, some days there are long breaks, work study

Cons

no benefits as far as healthcare, some days there are no breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cottey College. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

1.9
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
2.5Career Opportunities
1.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight