Cottingham & Butler Employee Reviews

2.8
Ratings breakdown
Don't even bother
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IANovember 10, 2017
They have great starting wage so it looks wonderful. Too bad they take advantage of employees. No regard for personal lives or matters. Work comes first ALWAYS, no exceptions. If you can't handles the stress the put on you then your out. If you try to reach out for help you are belittled and labeled as having poor time management.
Always speak of culture but DO NOT act it behind closed doors.
Some days were a little hard to get done
Mail Carrier (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJuly 31, 2017
Some days were hectic at first because you had to memorize where the agents sits and what companies the mail goes to the agents. The management was very friendly and If you had a problem with someone or something it was taken care of right away. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting great people, and getting the job done on time. Some days I would say was hard because there would be some pieces of mail that I couldn't figure out where it went so I had to do it in the next morning.
Great atmosphere, friendly work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAJuly 13, 2017
Great benefits and overall great job satisfaction. Very friendly work environment that encourages growth and job satisfaction. I would highly recommend checking into the company!
SMSC: Be Cautious!
Safety Consultant (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAAugust 10, 2015
SMSC has been around for over 20 years, but they operate as if they are a new company stumbling as they go. It is poorly managed where new ideas are percieved as threats to those who have been there the longest. As another employee stated, there is no training. Nor is there structure in place (management systems) to set employees up for success, such as communicated expectations, standard operating procedures, or consistency. The process for learning procedures and expectations is through email telling you how you failed. Ironically, many times it is not your doing, but the blame is yours. This can be a good job if you demand to know the performance expectations up front, get training before the first site visit (even basics such as how to complete the service database), and understand the level of competence with most of the administrative support is lacking. Unfortunately, anticipate the deep end with little to no help from the supervisor, who also does not appreciate change.
Pros
Exposure to various industries, helping the clients build successful safety programs.
Cons
Poor management, very poor health benefits, no structure, poor pay, poor expense reimbursement, poor guidance, no training, continuous impovement not accepted.
Sisco side of Cottingham and Butler
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAApril 15, 2015
The training is not good at all. I went home very stressed out everyday until I just could not take it anymore. The people that I worked with were very nice. Be ready to be busy non stop though. It can be very stressful when you are brand new and just trying to learn your job.
Pros
Good pay, nice co workers
Cons
disorganozed, bad training
Good job with clear direction.
Customer Service Representative (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAMarch 2, 2015
Coworkers are so friendly and willing to help you out. A typical day last 8-5 pm with 1 hour lunch break. I felt like this was a place I took my already present computer skills and was able to grow with them!
Worked very well with no supervision, more productive
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 17, 2015
A typical day a work, process endorsements, process COI's, Performance and Payment Bonds, License and Permit Bonds, review policies, process renewals, take client calls and solve client problems.

Most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with clients. Truly liked everyone of my clients.
Pros
Nice quite office
Cons
Unethical Producer
Repetitive Work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAMay 17, 2014
Team was managed poorly. Meetings frequently consisted of the supervisor using curse words, which is very unprofessional in such a "professional" environment.
Quit them after 15 years.
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAMarch 21, 2013
I've seen to many good people let go over the years. I love some of the people i work with there but hated the upper management. They do not value the little guys down below that keeps everything operational up above.
Pros
local friends.
Cons
family value.
Good schedule
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IANovember 26, 2012
Job was enjoyable but the staff was not that friendly to new people.
Pros
schedule
Cons
staff