County of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

Productive fun work
N/C Clerk/Heavy Lifter (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAMarch 1, 2019
I processed ballots by data entry to verify registered voters. I utilized the Data entry program to enter data on voters, such as, change of precinct, or residence, and update the file. I closed out valid ballots for counting, and dismissed invalid, or multi- same person ballots. The driver drove us to a precinct where I collected all of the ballots, computers, voting supplies, etc, from the cities’ precinctsI enjoyed the interaction between workers and participates. I learned a lot about the whole process and the flow of the work
Pros
support with work
Cons
late partcipates
County Employee
Administrative Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAFebruary 13, 2019
Underpaid and overworked. Private sector offers competitive salary and benefits package. County business practices are outdated and the organization does not support a healthy work-life balance.
productive and fun workplace
Canvass (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CAFebruary 8, 2019
Working there was a great experience and the people that work there were really friendly and helpful. A typical day at work would be answering phones filing paperwork counting ballots or redoing ballots. The hardest part about the job would probably be working on election day.
Fun place to work at
GAIN Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 30, 2019
Management is great, Flexible work schedule, Friendly environment, training provided. I have been working for DPSS for approximately thirteen years and I plan to retire from here.
unhealthy environment
Eligibility Worker 1 (EW1) (Current Employee) –  Sun Valley, CAJanuary 23, 2019
good work experience, but not a great place to work, the job is rather stressful, and the management is not prone to help the employee, move forward.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
pay to low for job responsibilities
Overall LA County has been a positive work experience.
Medical Secretary/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 23, 2019
The last 6 years have been the best. Since working for the Department of Health Services, there have been problems with management. There was a concerted effort to keep the employee from developing and moving forward. The poor managers have since left and there is new and better management today.
Pros
Good rapport with fellow staff members. Good relationship with supervisor.
Cons
Lack of good communicaton.
Good place for employment
Electrician and Electrical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Assignments vary from day to day. Given freedom to work on projects as long as you follow the overall outcome. There is a new direction from upper management, but overall the groups work very well together. The hardest part of the job is the politics and the best is working with others.
Pros
Security and benefits
Cons
Politics
Being a Lifeguard
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Castaic, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Showing up to work everyday you had to be ready before your shift even started: being dressed, things put away, and knowing who you were relieving. I liked coming into work and feeling needed along with apreciated. I worked here for four years so i became very familiar with what i was doing and loved training the new recruits. The people I worked with became my family since we spent so much time together.
Pros
salary, plenty of hours, and good people
Cons
short lunches, chain of command
N/a
ELIGIBILITY WORKER 2 (Former Employee) –  Compton, CAJanuary 14, 2019
very nice company to work for must love to help others it 's very fast pace and a lot of work but have very good benefits company picnic, union picnic and parties
Pros
helping the community
Cons
n/a
Loved the opportunity to find and execute my own work
Self Employed Painter (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 13, 2019
I found and executed my own work. Did my own marketing. Typed up estimates and contracts. Did my own billing and collected payments. I had never done these tasks on my own but learned how to do them and got better with time.
Health Educator II (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CADecember 26, 2018
Job location is close to home, work environment is comparative, generous benefits, excellent retirement benefits, good management, close relation with co-workers
Pros
Good management
Cons
Travel
Productive & Fun.
Courier/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 24, 2018
I had a good time working there. The people are nice and the boss is awesome. I enjoyed meeting the people who I delivered packages to. A typical day at work would be dropping off people packages to them making their day better by getting them what they need faster.
Great experience
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 21, 2018
Really great place to work for the experience. Benefits are great and are free. You get PTO, holiday pay, and whatever money you don’t use for your benefits gets added to your salary which is great. They can do better with base pay since it’s lower than kaiser for example.
Pros
Benefits: PTO, Free Health and Dental.
Cons
Base pay
My coworkers were friendly.
volunteer Poll Worker (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CADecember 19, 2018
I worked as a volunteer poll worker in Election days, June 5, and November 6 2018. It was a good experience for me to visit the work environment , and work with different people.
good job
Eligibility Worker 2 (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, CADecember 19, 2018
great place to work at all the benefits that you receive. annual pay increases along with what thee union fights for you to have. great understanding and use of sick time.
Productive focused day working in a team with balanced responsibilities
Mailroom Clerk/Transfer Desk (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 13, 2018
A typical day at work was to quickly retrieve any personal documents from Participants in the interview lobby where they met with Eligibility Worker and all necessary documents would be left there to be gathered by the document scanner. I would return to my desk and process paperwork ensuring that the right codes appeared on the paper. Once I would bring the Participant documents to the scanner I would utilize the software being used for EDMS tasks and name each document by looking at it electronically and catching the previously written code. I would also receive several certified mailings daily which contained important documents and deadlines.
I was responsible all day for retrieving documents and processing them in the EDMS system. I enjoyed very much to know my work was crucial for Eligibility Workers to be able to determine eligibility for County benefits and ultimately it was important to me to have a role
in assisting Participant in obtaining their Food Stamps or MediCal benefits. The hardest part of the job was that sometimes especially after the Summer 2018 it seemed like the amount of people requesting assistance was increasing and on some days I could not completely finish all documents. Everyone, whether Eligibility Workers or Clerks or even Deputies were cordial, focused on work
and caring.
Pros
Mature environment
Cons
Urban area resulted in a large amount of Participants applying for benefits.
Always new thing to learn
Epidemiologist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 13, 2018
I have been working at Los Angeles County full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are good people at the company, unfortunately they leave for real opportunities.

Cons

Manual processes, constant changes in management, the department is always overseen by a message NON-CREDENTIALING manager or director. Employees are pushed to do the unreasonable without the necessary resources its not possible. Staffing is a problem, they do not care to hire enough personnel to carry the heavy loads but rather work the under paid employees to a point of overwhelming exhaustion.

Advice to Management

Surveys and more surveys and more surveys are conducted but NO RESULTS, how many times must one say how unhappy employees are. What part of the survey is not comprehended? Low salaries, non-matching 401K, 15 cent yearly raises, the list is truly endless.
La County
Children's Social Worker III (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 11, 2018
Los Angeles County being the largest agency in the nation to service abused and neglected children had its' share of neglectful moments. It was due to my undying love for my position that the many thankless days went unnoticed. The children and the act of reunifying families is where I received my gratification. Los Angeles County is in no way "cut throat" but is diligent in creating workers like myself who learn to focus on helping the less fortunate and setting self aside that our jobs were done without fail.
Pros
benefits were amazing
Cons
low morale in many cases due to lack of managerial support
Paralegal
Secretary / Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 11, 2018
Excellent interpersonal skills honed by years of contact with all sorts of customers: kids, teens, students, parents, elderly, attorneys and legal staff, doctors and medical staff, patients in various needs of medical attention including in emergency setting (Patients qualified my approach as “respectful”, “friendly” and my technique as “smooth”. Staff often thanked me for my smile and helpfulness).
Only temp seasonal
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CADecember 5, 2018
sorting mail ballots for voting citizens. only a seasonal position, typical day sorting ballots hardest part was working on a line conveyer. most enjoyable part was working with every position available with peers.
Pros
everyone worked as a team player
Cons
only temp

Ask a question about working or interviewing at County of Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2