County of Los Angeles
73Above average

County of Los Angeles Employee Reviews

United States466 reviews
Good healthcare and retirement. The pay is fair. Work environment is not stressful, I feel everyone is treated equally. Recommend it if you want a secure job.
Pros
healthcare, time off, good manager
Cons
Not fulfilling
I worked for DCFS for 28 years. I had multiple positions and left as a Supervisor. This job is tough. You will always have so much work that you will never feel you can get the job done. I had many years of good managers and then many years with a few narcissistic and arrogant managers that should not have been promoted. HR rotates management regularly or staff promote so you may often end up with managers that are not supportive and don’t have social work degrees. Some offices have racial tensions and/or toxic work environments. I often was treated poorly by others due to my race (Caucasian) and was told to just “put up with it.” I was told at one point by a manager “ that DCFS wasn’t interested in “promoting old white ladies” so I should not get my hopes up. At one training, I was asked about my white privilege and how it impacted me in front of the entire room. I spoke to my manager about what I felt was a hostile work environment and she said she often was bullied by others too and she just “dealt with it.” I felt that it would not be good to pursue the issue further as retaliation in the department is real. You will not be promoted or get the position you want if you get a reputation as a problem staff member. The union is a joke here unless you are a terrible employee; then the union will help you keep your job. This job is pure stress unless you are able to promote to easier jobs within the agency. The employees are always overwhelmed and exhausted due to the large caseloads and push to be perfect in home visits and paperwork. A mistake in this job could mean a - more...
Pros
Great pay, great benefits, job stability
Cons
High workload, stress, toxic work environment
You need to be a certain ethnic group to fit into the disorganized circus. Constant Tagalog is spoken in front of non speakers. Training is extremely random. Trainees are thrown into projects without explanations. Mostly all the managers are of the certain ethnicity...they DO NOT make you feel included or respected. Lots of favoritism if you’re of that ethnic group otherwise you’re less than and treated that way.
Pros
Not bed side nursing
Cons
Racist micromanagers
Incredibly stressful, but fair compensation for social workers. There needs to be better training and mentors got in order for employees to be successful and not burnout.
Trained in field support tech. Traveled all over LA County to troubleshoot BMD machines. Management, training staff, and supervisors were cordial and calm under pressure. Would love to work for the LA County again.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Learned a lot of new skills and protocols. I enjoy helping those in need especially when they do not know or have anywhere to go. If you plan to work as a CRA be ready to expect the unexpected every day.
Great opportunities for advancement
A wide variety of engineering disciplines

Stable jobs with steady funding

Great benefits

Excellent retirement plans
political currency and nepotism are rampant. Although the best features are job stability and work life balance, but they are starting to tighten their budgets.
Hardest part of the job was driving to and from Calabases location (54 miles one way)
Friendly coworkers with lasting relationships

Loved working for this company

Multiple opportunities for continuing education and special certifications
I learned how to manage time, work under pressure, and how to handle stress. The hardest part of this job was trying to check people in without the system crashing. The most enjoyable part was having people walk out with smiles on their face due to how easy we made their experience.
There is a steep learning curve because the hospital has been code black for months and especially now with the COVID-19 outbreak, you work overtime without pay. Since PPE is a scarcity now, you put yourself at big risk for contracting the infection. Most units are 1:5 ratio unless it is Telemetry (1:4), or a specialty unit. Compensation is the lowest out of any California hospital and they do not offer 1.5x pay for working holidays. Floor training is only 6 weeks and they expect you to know everything by then. Benefits are just okay but it’s not worth it for the amount of work you do
As working as a student election worker, my fellow workers at the polls were very kind and generous, and we all worked through issues together when the new machinery was acting up.There were people who didn't understand how to use the new poll booths, but we all pitched in and helped solve the issue.
Pros
Lunch Break
Cons
Didn't provide any food or water.
Worked on setting up and dismantling voting equipment. As a temp employee most of the temps worked 12 or more hours a day. L.A. Business Personnel on Wilshire Blvd cheated its temp employees out of many hours of overtime and are blaming it on L.A. County HR. This temp agency is a fraudulent company
Great place to work great environment angry people great products great everything. Wonderful way to start work, great attention to the employees and families.
Bureaucracy. Little room for advancement. At the mercy of where the jobs are located (live in Long Beach and work in Lancaster). No one leaves the County.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Advancement and pay slow and based on years of experience and not talent
Even as a contractor, I was treated like an employee unlike other private companies. During Thanksgiving lunches and Christmas lunches, they invite me as if I am an employee.
Loved working with clients who applied for benefits so many things to learn, great Co Workers, and management. Can be hectic but time passes by. Great benefits medical, retirement and 401K
Pros
Great benefits and awesome co workers
Cons
I liked the support group I had while working with this company. I was encouraged on A daily basis to better my people skills and learned how to deal with people better.
Unique work as part of the nursing team to criminals and the mentally ill while providing safety regulations from the sheriffs department deputies. an
I don't recommend being a Bus Operator. The company looks down upon you as the lowest class of workers. There are other positions that pay better for the work they do.
There was a high frequency of management change to accommodate staff seniority amongst the inspectors. This may have negative repercussions amongst staff not employed as inspectors.
Pros
Variable work environment, various cultural backgrounds amongst employees, educated staff
Cons
Click- ish or mob mentality at some district locations, managerial conflict resolution was self- serving
Ask a question about working or interviewing at County of Los Angeles. Our community is ready to answer.