County of Marin, CA Employee Reviews

Office Assistant III (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMay 20, 2018
A good place to work, but could improve on direction and proper training methods. The culture is not very inclusive of others, and could use some improvements.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
No benefits.
Great place to begin a career
Equipment Service Manager (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAOctober 16, 2017
A typical day here is fast paced with many tasks for everyone. To be great here, you truly need to juggle many hats.
Learning is something that never stops, you get to pick the brains of many intelligent people daily.
Pros
benefits, Pto, relationships
Cons
commute, traffic, hours
productive work day
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAOctober 9, 2017
I processed all the tax payers checks , and cash deposits. I learned remittance processing through RTL software. Management was great, I worked under little to no supervision. The workplace was relaxed and diverse.
Great job security
Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  120 N. San Pedro Rd.September 11, 2017
Great if you're a permanent employee. Extra hires don't get much on the benefits and they have close to 500. This seems ironic considering this is a place that provides benefits.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Benefits aren't offered to all employees
Very balanced and productive place to work
Media Technician /Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Civic Center, San Rafael, CAJuly 6, 2017
Being new to the area, working for the County of Marin has afforded me the opportunity to work with a rich and socially conscious group of people, become familiar with the county's diverse landscape, and grow as an individual. Of all of the places I have been and the different organizations I have worked for, the County of Marin sits at the top of my list.
county of Marin
I assist eligability workers (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 22, 2017
It is a pretty good place to work if you are a regular employee,I was an extra hire for three years and I did not get any benefits, paid holidays,vaction,sick days,but the people are great
Professional yet fun
Office Assistant III - Bilingual (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAOctober 14, 2015
I love working for the County of Marin. I was very happy here because I was able to be professional in my field and yet have fun in what I do. It is a customer oriented, but also focuses on it's employees by creating a fun, peaceful, and enjoyable work environment. My shifts started at 7:30 am and ended at 3:30 pm. I was the one to open in the front receptionist area, make sure all the daily schedules are out for the three receptionist in front, and also have our TV on that presents our services in a Power Point slideshow. Our doors open at 8 am and in that time till 5 pm we have clients coming in to their appointments or any workshops that will be given that day. In this job I learned MS Access and MS Publisher. I was able to edit flyers and making them more professional and even more attractive to the community. The flyers consisted of job posting, of which I would then print and post on the 2nd floor window which was in the CRC (Career Resource Center). I love my co-workers, I don't think ever in my life I have been this happy working around people I enjoy working with and have no grudge against anyone or anyone against me. The hardest part of my job was learning all the acronyms, but within a year I was able to learn many. I enjoyed creating flyers and helping out customers in the CRC, sometimes they seek my help when it came to computer problems or problems with filing up paper work for either EDD or job search. I was able to grow and develop many skills in a personal and professional way. I will always be grateful for the opportunity that was given to me to be in this  more... wonderful Company.  less
Good Place To Work
financial (Current Employee) –  CAAugust 2, 2015
Love the County of Marin. Benefits are not great but the staff is and the environment is very easy going. As far as working for a union it is typical, alot of politics and little progress.
n/a
Aide (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAFebruary 18, 2014
Each day is different depending on who you are working with.
Excellent office and environment
Assistant Assessor-Recorder (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CADecember 2, 2013
As Assistant Assessor-Recorder, I was directly responsible for the management of the administrative functions of the office (e.g., budget, personnel, information systems, public relations, policies, etc.} I also acted in the stead of the Assessor-Recorder in her absence (overseeing all functions of the office).

The management team was one of the better teams I had experienced. There was an element of old-school tradition, yet very conducive to innovation (the office converted to a completely digital work process). There was completely open communication, great sense of humor, and appreciation for all staff.

There was no "hardest" part of the job. Everything was done with support and confidence of management, peers, and staff. The only "hard" part was leaving, I returned to New Mexico to help care for my parents.

The most enjoyable part of my job was supporting my staff. Particularly the IT and Budget staff who had ambitious goals and I enjoyed helping overcome administrative barriers. Most of all, I enjoyed working for the Assessor-Recorder, a very devoted and learned professional who was as much engaged in the work of the office as any of the most dedicated staff.
Pros
Great support, empowerment, and trust. Great place to live too
Cons
Expensive to live in the area
High School all over again
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAApril 30, 2013
I worked in 3 different departments over a 3-year period. The first 2 years, as an "Extra Hire" employee, which means you do the same work, but do not receive any benefits, holidays, sick pay, or rights of any kind. You are still required to pay union dues, but the union does absolutely nothing on your behalf. Since the economic crisis of 2007-8, the County of Marin has cut back MAINLY by replacing "Regular Hire" employees with Extra Hire. Some departments are approaching 50% of their workforce as Extra Hire, even though County hiring rules state that you cannot replace a Regular Hire position with an Extra Hire. They get around this by fudging the position numbers and "under-filling" the budgeted Regular Hire positions.

Regular Hire positions take up to 6 months to fill, the hiring process is long and frustrating. Even if you get the highest score on testing and interview, individual departments frequently end up hiring family members and friends of management. The people at the highest levels in each department conspire together to get around employment law and County regulations. Supervisors form cliques , and employees who "brown nose" the supervisor will be advanced in spite of poor performance. I know one woman who received a formal warning for installing a computer screen saver on her work computer of a blurred figure touching a foggy glass window because the supervisor is a devout Catholic who thought the figure might be a ghost and claimed to be frightened of it.

If you manage to find a position where you are allowed to do your job without having to
  more... put up with silly office politics, it can be a great place to work. The salary and benefits are excellent, and Marin County is a beautiful place to work.  less
Pros
Beautiful setting, lots of fitness programs hosted by HR, high salaries, excellent benefits
Cons
Cronyism, Supervisors who have no inkling of day-to-day operations, "Extra Hire" employees receive no benefits or protections while being forced to pay union dues
Relaxed Work
Office work (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMarch 8, 2013
My typical day at work was organizing papers and making packets of CMSP, Foodstamps, and Cash Aid. I made usually about 100 a day. I had to be organized in order to make a lot of packets a day. I would put mail in everybody mail boxes, restock the copy machines with paper. I was usually by myself only when my boss would just tell me what to do. I learned how to be organized and organize workers paperwork for them. The good thing about this job was that it was a really relaxed job. Most of the time I would be sitting down.
I love working in the dental office
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAMarch 7, 2013
meeting and greeting patients learning to set appointments on the computer and learning to run the insurance. I like the manager but i love the supervisor and i ejoyed working with all the people that i worked with they were all helpful and caring the hardest for me was learning to bill the isurance and i enjoyed learning
I enjoyed working with the staff as well as the public
Receptioist/Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  411 4th. St. San Rafael, CAMarch 7, 2013
My day consist of meeting and greeting the patients, getting them registered and ready to see the dentist, I learned to use the computer to set appointments and check insurances. The management better yet my supervisor was a beautiful person she made the job just a bit more enjoyable. All the people I worked with was wonderful couldnt pick a better group of people to work with. The hardest part was having to turn someone away that needed help that was difficult for me. I loved working and going to work I enjoyed seeing the patients walk out with a smile knowing they walked in with pain.
mixed feelings
Support Service Worker Bilingual (Former Employee) –  San Rafael, CAOctober 25, 2012
The bottom line..I was disposable
My first supervisor was spectacular
my second was overworked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at County of Marin, CA. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight