County of Marin, CA

Working at County of Marin, CA: 30 Reviews

United States30 reviews

Great people work here. Management will abuse power to overwork you.

People love it here, but the systemic issues may drain you. Great employees. You will likely enjoy your role and the people you work with if you are interested in the field you apply for. Management needs a serious overhaul. They are concerned with numbers and public perception, but not employee satisfaction or resources. Department directors and administration are pressured by County administration to deliver numbers and not quality service. Every department is understaffed, and the current vacancies don't necessarily reflect the actual needs that exist. In 10 years there has never been adequate staffing in my department, likely even long before that, perhaps always. People tend to work out of class due to limited resources. There is a rule in which an employee can work 25% out of class. It is meant to provide opportunity for growth and learning, but is instead used to work people out of class regularly. The employee culture is to go above and beyond, delivering best service possible. We generally like doing all that we can to help each other and the communities we serve. However, the employee suffers when this means they are likely overworking and underpaid. The more you can do, the more you will do, without proper compensation (compliments are good enough in their eyes). Hard work is rewarded with more work. Administration loves to see all of the great work we do, with no real consideration or proper appreciation of what it takes. There is a great reliance on temp/contingent staff, and part time staff who consistently work "extra" hours that should really be part of their -

Pros

Great people work here, great opportunities (for some) and communities to serve

Cons

Staffing issues, delusional management, working out of class and being understaffed is normal

Some solid people, but the overall mgmt is severely lacking

Be quite, put in your time and don't stand out.If you're in, then you're in...if not, get outDo as your told, not as you think is best practiceThere's no such thing as 'security'

County of Marin, CA insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Great managers

Great managers and projects, supportive staff and culture. Was able to work remote 100 percent and was working for a short term. Needs more diversity in staff.

Job Stability and Great Benefits but Not Many Job Growth Opportunities

Most days are predictable, but the work overall is dull. Unfortunately politics have infiltrated the workplace and if the wrong person doesn't like you, it will make growth opportunities unlikely. Working for the county is great if you are searching for stability and great health benefits though.

Pros

County Benefits

Cons

Pay isn't enough to live in same county. Constant gossip.

Productive with poor management

Management supports management; employees are not appreciated. Hierarchy is encouraged. Teachable management moments are completely overlooked, from the very top office down.

Pros

Pockets of potential for great culture.

Cons

Too many supervisors and even department heads untrained in management skills.

cushy jobs

once hired you cannot be easily fired. A good manager depends on dept you are in, some great others not so much. Very diverse which is a great thing in this day and age

Pros

great life work balance, benefits

Cons

not so great retirement packages

I had high hopes on working for the County. It has some good things about it but there are some places where it fails.

I was never accepted into my teams “inner circle” and I was valued on my job title instead of my accomplishments. It was cliquey and I did not feel valued. I worked very hard but was not promoted. It is a good place to learn, and to use as a stepping stone but not a good place to have a career. I would not recommend it to my friends.

Pros

Lots of ways to advance personal learning and supportive team members that help you learn

Cons

Cliques, low pay, mismanagement and no job security

Happily retired

I learned so much from my experience working for the County of Marin; connected to such a diverse community. Grained many new tools as well as broadening and sharpening my own for success.

Driven and devoted work place.

I spent the summer and my senior year of high school working as an Intern. I worked from eight am to one pm and was always allowed a 30 minute break. As my worked moved into the school year my hours became flexible around my classes and extracurricular activities. The workplace a very inviting culture with different diverse groups that had frequent meetings and activities. The hardest part for myself was just the shock of a new work environment as well as the strict professionalism. Casual dress wear is alright but it's best to have a whole suit and tie. But it's all worth it when you can help the people in the community and the county.

Ok

Manager is only somewhat flexible. Some employees have to follow the rules others can do what they want. No equality. Nice building to work in. Historic and interesting. Library on fourth floor is nice.

Good for pencil pushers

You will be disappointed to know that in certain departments, promotions are not tied to performance, but rather who you are friends with. Management does not respond to worker's complaints about workload, work processes or employee conflict. Issues are always pushed down the road, creating even bigger issues. They say they are trying to change the culture but are unwilling to embrace new philosophies. Seems like just talk, but never any intended action plan. Good for someone who doesn't like to speak up, does what is told of them regardless of it makes sense or not, and just wants a decent salary and benefits. If you are passionate about helping people, I'd advise to look elsewhere for more rewarding opportunities.

Pros

flexible PTO, good benefits, simple job if you can tolerate the idiocy of your managers

Cons

can't live where you work, tough to work with superiors, operates just like a high school with the popular and unpopular crowds.

Fast paced, productive, employees help each other

With Building Maintenance the work is constant. The painting is year around and something is always breaking. The County recommends 3 Building Maintenance Workers but supplies 1. I'm able to help during the year but those hours have been cut back. I've learned a great deal in 15 years at this job. The management is mostly new, within 3 years. They are doing an excellent job of trying to run a facility that the county is reluctant to spent money on. Work place culture is great. We don't always love each other but we all get along The hardest part of the job is showing up The most enjoyable part, leaving every day If it was fun they wouldn't pay us they'd charge us admission

Very political government agency

I enjoyed the work at the County of Marin. I had a temporary job, but I enjoyed the office and my co-workers. The biggest problem for me was that this county is very politicized. There is a very outspoken employee base that is aggressive towards people who have different opinions about politics or their faith, so those things are 'not discussed.' I did not like that aspect of this job.

County

It hard to give review on job had seventeen year ago, but remember that hardworking staff. Work day up and down you could very busy one day slow next day. Management had a lot personnel that worked their way up to upper levels of management. Hardest part was work during Marin County fair long hours, but the staff was great during that time period. Most enjoyable working different events.

Working for the County

Working at the Frank Lloyd Wright civic center is nice but the building is showing its age and the offices can be dank and unorganized. The work itself is fulfilling but it's hard to deal with how disorganized the whole County is, especially in between the different divisions.There was always a lot of work to do and the days were busy but you almost never had to take your work home with you and management was always very accommodating with requesting time off. Most employees in the public works are older and have families. Everyone is friendly but there isn't much of a social aspect outside of the office. Your experience will change dramatically depending on where you work, some divisions have a ton of turnover and others do not, but overall its a good place to work with great pay and benefits (if you're a regular hire).

A good place to work, but could improve on direction and proper training methods. The culture is not very inclusive of others, and could use some improvements.

Pros

Flexible schedules

Cons

No benefits.

Great place to begin a career

A typical day here is fast paced with many tasks for everyone. To be great here, you truly need to juggle many hats. Learning is something that never stops, you get to pick the brains of many intelligent people daily.

Pros

benefits, Pto, relationships

Cons

commute, traffic, hours

productive work day

I processed all the tax payers checks , and cash deposits. I learned remittance processing through RTL software. Management was great, I worked under little to no supervision. The workplace was relaxed and diverse.

Great job security

Great if you're a permanent employee. Extra hires don't get much on the benefits and they have close to 500. This seems ironic considering this is a place that provides benefits.

Pros

Great pay

Cons

Benefits aren't offered to all employees

Very balanced and productive place to work

Being new to the area, working for the County of Marin has afforded me the opportunity to work with a rich and socially conscious group of people, become familiar with the county's diverse landscape, and grow as an individual. Of all of the places I have been and the different organizations I have worked for, the County of Marin sits at the top of my list.

county of Marin

It is a pretty good place to work if you are a regular employee,I was an extra hire for three years and I did not get any benefits, paid holidays,vaction,sick days,but the people are great

Common questions about County of Marin, CA

Answered by current and former employees at County of Marin, CA

Ask a question about working or interviewing at County of Marin, CA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.7 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.2
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.4Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Learn about County of Marin, CA in popular locations

• County of Marin, CA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?