County of Marin, CA

County of Marin, CA Employee Reviews

once hired you cannot be easily fired. A good manager depends on dept you are in, some great others not so much. Very diverse which is a great thing in this day and age
Pros
great life work balance, benefits
Cons
not so great retirement packages
I was never accepted into my teams “inner circle” and I was valued on my job title instead of my accomplishments. It was cliquey and I did not feel valued. I worked very hard but was not promoted. It is a good place to learn, and to use as a stepping stone but not a good place to have a career. I would not recommend it to my friends.
Pros
Lots of ways to advance personal learning and supportive team members that help you learn
Cons
Cliques, low pay, mismanagement and no job security
I learned so much from my experience working for the County of Marin; connected to such a diverse community. Grained many new tools as well as broadening and sharpening my own for success.
I spent the summer and my senior year of high school working as an Intern. I worked from eight am to one pm and was always allowed a 30 minute break. As my worked moved into the school year my hours became flexible around my classes and extracurricular activities. The workplace a very inviting culture with different diverse groups that had frequent meetings and activities. The hardest part for myself was just the shock of a new work environment as well as the strict professionalism. Casual dress wear is alright but it's best to have a whole suit and tie. But it's all worth it when you can help the people in the community and the county.
Manager is only somewhat flexible. Some employees have to follow the rules others can do what they want. No equality. Nice building to work in. Historic and interesting. Library on fourth floor is nice.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
You will be disappointed to know that in certain departments, promotions are not tied to performance, but rather who you are friends with. Management does not respond to worker's complaints about workload, work processes or employee conflict. Issues are always pushed down the road, creating even bigger issues. They say they are trying to change the culture but are unwilling to embrace new philosophies. Seems like just talk, but never any intended action plan. Good for someone who doesn't like to speak up, does what is told of them regardless of it makes sense or not, and just wants a decent salary and benefits. If you are passionate about helping people, I'd advise to look elsewhere for more rewarding opportunities.
Pros
flexible PTO, good benefits, simple job if you can tolerate the idiocy of your managers
Cons
can't live where you work, tough to work with superiors, operates just like a high school with the popular and unpopular crowds.
With Building Maintenance the work is constant. The painting is year around and something is always breaking. The County recommends 3 Building Maintenance Workers but supplies 1. I'm able to help during the year but those hours have been cut back. I've learned a great deal in 15 years at this job. The management is mostly new, within 3 years. They are doing an excellent job of trying to run a facility that the county is reluctant to spent money on. Work place culture is great. We don't always love each other but we all get along The hardest part of the job is showing up The most enjoyable part, leaving every day If it was fun they wouldn't pay us they'd charge us admission
I enjoyed the work at the County of Marin. I had a temporary job, but I enjoyed the office and my co-workers. The biggest problem for me was that this county is very politicized. There is a very outspoken employee base that is aggressive towards people who have different opinions about politics or their faith, so those things are 'not discussed.' I did not like that aspect of this job.
It hard to give review on job had seventeen year ago, but remember that hardworking staff. Work day up and down you could very busy one day slow next day. Management had a lot personnel that worked their way up to upper levels of management. Hardest part was work during Marin County fair long hours, but the staff was great during that time period. Most enjoyable working different events.
Working at the Frank Lloyd Wright civic center is nice but the building is showing its age and the offices can be dank and unorganized. The work itself is fulfilling but it's hard to deal with how disorganized the whole County is, especially in between the different divisions.There was always a lot of work to do and the days were busy but you almost never had to take your work home with you and management was always very accommodating with requesting time off. Most employees in the public works are older and have families. Everyone is friendly but there isn't much of a social aspect outside of the office. Your experience will change dramatically depending on where you work, some divisions have a ton of turnover and others do not, but overall its a good place to work with great pay and benefits (if you're a regular hire).
A good place to work, but could improve on direction and proper training methods. The culture is not very inclusive of others, and could use some improvements.
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
No benefits.
A typical day here is fast paced with many tasks for everyone. To be great here, you truly need to juggle many hats. Learning is something that never stops, you get to pick the brains of many intelligent people daily.
Pros
benefits, Pto, relationships
Cons
commute, traffic, hours
I processed all the tax payers checks , and cash deposits. I learned remittance processing through RTL software. Management was great, I worked under little to no supervision. The workplace was relaxed and diverse.
Great if you're a permanent employee. Extra hires don't get much on the benefits and they have close to 500. This seems ironic considering this is a place that provides benefits.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Benefits aren't offered to all employees
Being new to the area, working for the County of Marin has afforded me the opportunity to work with a rich and socially conscious group of people, become familiar with the county's diverse landscape, and grow as an individual. Of all of the places I have been and the different organizations I have worked for, the County of Marin sits at the top of my list.
It is a pretty good place to work if you are a regular employee,I was an extra hire for three years and I did not get any benefits, paid holidays,vaction,sick days,but the people are great
I love working for the County of Marin. I was very happy here because I was able to be professional in my field and yet have fun in what I do. It is a customer oriented, but also focuses on it's employees by creating a fun, peaceful, and enjoyable work environment. My shifts started at 7:30 am and ended at 3:30 pm. I was the one to open in the front receptionist area, make sure all the daily schedules are out for the three receptionist in front, and also have our TV on that presents our services in a Power Point slideshow. Our doors open at 8 am and in that time till 5 pm we have clients coming in to their appointments or any workshops that will be given that day. In this job I learned MS Access and MS Publisher. I was able to edit flyers and making them more professional and even more attractive to the community. The flyers consisted of job posting, of which I would then print and post on the 2nd floor window which was in the CRC (Career Resource Center). I love my co-workers, I don't think ever in my life I have been this happy working around people I enjoy working with and have no grudge against anyone or anyone against me. The hardest part of my job was learning all the acronyms, but within a year I was able to learn many. I enjoyed creating flyers and helping out customers in the CRC, sometimes they seek my help when it came to computer problems or problems with filing up paper work for either EDD or job search. I was able to grow and develop many skills in a personal and professional way. I will always be grateful for the opportunity that was given to me to be in this - more...
Love the County of Marin. Benefits are not great but the staff is and the environment is very easy going. As far as working for a union it is typical, alot of politics and little progress.
Each day is different depending on who you are working with.
As Assistant Assessor-Recorder, I was directly responsible for the management of the administrative functions of the office (e.g., budget, personnel, information systems, public relations, policies, etc.} I also acted in the stead of the Assessor-Recorder in her absence (overseeing all functions of the office). The management team was one of the better teams I had experienced. There was an element of old-school tradition, yet very conducive to innovation (the office converted to a completely digital work process). There was completely open communication, great sense of humor, and appreciation for all staff. There was no "hardest" part of the job. Everything was done with support and confidence of management, peers, and staff. The only "hard" part was leaving, I returned to New Mexico to help care for my parents. The most enjoyable part of my job was supporting my staff. Particularly the IT and Budget staff who had ambitious goals and I enjoyed helping overcome administrative barriers. Most of all, I enjoyed working for the Assessor-Recorder, a very devoted and learned professional who was as much engaged in the work of the office as any of the most dedicated staff.
Pros
Great support, empowerment, and trust. Great place to live too
Cons
Expensive to live in the area
I worked in 3 different departments over a 3-year period. The first 2 years, as an "Extra Hire" employee, which means you do the same work, but do not receive any benefits, holidays, sick pay, or rights of any kind. You are still required to pay union dues, but the union does absolutely nothing on your behalf. Since the economic crisis of 2007-8, the County of Marin has cut back MAINLY by replacing "Regular Hire" employees with Extra Hire. Some departments are approaching 50% of their workforce as Extra Hire, even though County hiring rules state that you cannot replace a Regular Hire position with an Extra Hire. They get around this by fudging the position numbers and "under-filling" the budgeted Regular Hire positions. Regular Hire positions take up to 6 months to fill, the hiring process is long and frustrating. Even if you get the highest score on testing and interview, individual departments frequently end up hiring family members and friends of management. The people at the highest levels in each department conspire together to get around employment law and County regulations. Supervisors form cliques , and employees who "brown nose" the supervisor will be advanced in spite of poor performance. I know one woman who received a formal warning for installing a computer screen saver on her work computer of a blurred figure touching a foggy glass window because the supervisor is a devout Catholic who thought the figure might be a ghost and claimed to be frightened of it. If you manage to find a position where you are allowed to do your job without having to - more...
Pros
Beautiful setting, lots of fitness programs hosted by HR, high salaries, excellent benefits
Cons
Cronyism, Supervisors who have no inkling of day-to-day operations, "Extra Hire" employees receive no benefits or protections while being forced to pay union dues