County Of Mendocino Employee Reviews

Department matters
Social Services Fiscal Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ukiah, CAMay 20, 2019
The social services fiscal unit provided a great work-life balance. Management appreciated my work and provided opportunities for advancement. Other depts seem to have less flexibility But many managers I work will we’re friendly, understanding and helpful.
Pros
Flexible schedule, friendly environment
Cons
Strict deadlines
An downtrodden, nepotistic mess
Librarian (Former Employee) –  UkiahMarch 20, 2019
There's not much positive to say here, so I am just going to run down a list of quick faults.

- Working for the county, it becomes apparent almost immediately that the "best people" are rarely promoted. Rather, the majority of the managers advanced due to a combination of nepotism or "who they knew" in high school. Most lifers are only marking time until they retire, and advancement is offered to those who have "put in their time" rather than people who are going to innovate or advance.

- Financial waste is everywhere. Without going into specifics, it is crystal clear that there is almost zero accountability when it comes to spending tax dollars in a frivolous manner. I haven't directly observed fraud (though I strongly suspect the county is rife with it), but I have seen enough squandering of resources to make me ill.

- Training almost always boils down to lectures and nothing more. Not one of the managers I encountered had even the slightest notion of how to teach someone to do a job. Often, I was placed in a position where I was told to, say, observe an employee for an hour (not actually performing any tasks myself), and then expected to be well-versed in doing that employee's job the following day. That is NOT how you train people.

- My position suffered acutely from "multi manager syndrome" - I had at least three, and sometimes four, people giving me orders. Often, these directives were contradictory; in EVERY circumstance, it was apparent that the managers didn't speak to each other.

- My direct manager was almost never in the office - she was present at
  more... her desk - no exaggeration - MAYBE 5 hours a week. Every other second was eaten up either in 'meetings,' or via some form of leave. It's like the woman didn't work.

- My position was completely misrepresented prior to my hiring. I was told I would be performing a role that never really emerged; instead, I was essentially reduced to serving as an over-educated secretary.

- The building I worked in suffered from obvious mold issues.

- Pay, at least for my position, was dramatically below the standard elsewhere in the state. An employee doing my job for a county nearer to San Francisco could expect to make upwards of TWICE of what I was being paid. Cost of living aside, that's an enormous and - frankly - irreconcilable gap. I don't care if "Mendocino County is poor" - they need to offer competitive compensation.

- The county itself feels decidedly like a place that was lost to time, and not in a good way. There is a distinct lack of services, recognizable food venues, the Walmart looks like it was the first one ever built, the roads are all in horrible shape, etc. As an outsider moving in, it was an immediate and harsh culture shock - like a 'little slice of Appalachia' tucked into Northern California.
Pros
I wasn't directly chained to the wall.
Cons
Everything else.
Horribly managed
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CAFebruary 26, 2018
Not worth writing about.. horribly managed no job security and poorly staffed. Turn around for new employees was short because of management and compensation.
Pros
Cons
Lots
helping the community
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CAOctober 19, 2017
Assisted diverse populations in the community through intake and interviewing for eligibility of state and other programs. Fast paced job, with no shortage of work to be done.
Productive environment and excellent co-workers
Information Services Technician II (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CAJune 12, 2017
Work environment is supportive of furthering education and advancing in career field. Departmental management is knowledgeable and open to new ideas. Overall this organization is beneficial to an individual's career goals.
worked in a dark hole
Staff Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CAApril 28, 2017
enjoyed the office until new official came in and treated everyone poorly, along with big pay cut and doing the job of four people, new boss was rude to employees and public would never go back to that location of county
Great work envioronment
Office Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CAFebruary 25, 2017
I learned how to be in charge of the office and the daily duties required to help the garage run more efficiently. Worked closely with the county departments regarding the county cars and employee travel.
I enjoyed working with the department and staff
Projects Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CAFebruary 9, 2017
every morning we would do stretches and get a briefing on the current events of the day, there was an open forum and everyone was a pleasure to be around.
Pros
the hours were the best
Cons
some customers that we dealt with were not too friendly but that was the job.
Everyday is different
ER Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Ukiah, CAMarch 15, 2016
A lot of very supportive supervisors and co-workers that have your back and understand. Lots of room for advancing. The county sends you on many trainings as well to keep you up to date.
Was a good temporary position.
Human Services Worker - Driver, On Call (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CAApril 2, 2013
Transportation of clients to and from assorted facilities. Learned addtional skills in psycology and aspects of medicine, interacting with staff and management of assorted specialties. Dealing with psycological emergencies is challenging, but found it rewarding in resolving client concerns.
Pros
allows for personal judgement.
Cons
on call position, limited advancement potential.