County of San Diego Employee Reviews

working for the county of San Diego
Social Work Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 2, 2019
There are many Pro's and Con's to working for The County of San Diego. I feel that they benefits are wonderful, however, the culture and workload of the County can be stressful and at times. Depending on your management, you may feel supported and @ times you may not. Opportunities for advancement can also be difficult when you reach a higher position, with not much wiggle room on positions you are fit for and where a high number of other promotional candidates are also applying, resulting lots of competition.
A steady job with benefits.
Word Processor Operator (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 29, 2018
At County Parks I provided clerical support, answering phones, sorting mail, typing, filing, making campground reservations, tracking stats (mileage, park visitors), servicing copy machines, and front-counter customer service.

I learned a lot about County Government and its commitment to environmental issues. I learned most of my Microsoft Windows applications on the job.

Management pretty much taught us the basics and expected us to grasp the job, organize our time, and multi-task on our own initiative.

Workplace culture was that of a bureaucracy. Office Support Staff, were expected to cover the front desk at all times, so we took lunch and breaks separately and had little time to socialize.

Hardest part was learning intricate procedures like tracking supplies, supplies, balancing campground reservations, and processing travel requests. I learned my Windows skills on the job as no in-house training was not provided (I also took college courses to get up to speed).

Most enjoyable part of the job was in customer relations.
Pros
Steady work with benefits.
Cons
Not much chance to socialize.
Big disconnect between management and staff
Child Support Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 9, 2018
There is a complete lack of respect from management for the working staff. Promotions rarely happen for staff that have worked and keep applying and re-applying after years of hard work and knowledge. Management recruits people from outside with limited background and then become surprised when they leave because they are only using department for a stepping stone to something better. Management takes credit for innovations and ideas from working staff. There have been little to no pay raises since 2004 (except for Division Director who had a Giant salary increase) The office climate is dismal and people are VERY unhappy! I would only recommend working here if you are right out of college and want experience on a resume. There is no longer a lifetime career here.
Pros
Med benefits, small pension
Cons
Loose benefits at retirement, No advancement, revolving door for new hires that figure out quickly no room for growth.
Decent place to work but hard to advance.
Senior Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 19, 2018
I worked as a Sr. office Assistant for the County of San Diego and I found that unless you have a degree AND know someone, it is quite difficult to advance into management.
Benefits
Cons
No opportunities for advancement unless you have a bachelor's degree and know someone.
HealthCare Access
Human Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2018
Work was very stressful but very rewarding. I carried a caseload of approximately 200 cases that needed to be reviewed within 30 days. A typical day at work was, answering phone calls, troubleshoot complains and interviewing 4 to 5 households per day. Workplace culture was very diverse and very exciting. I worked 25 years in social services helping San Diego residents with financial and medical resources. County offers excellent benefits but salary was low compared to our cost of living. What I didn't like was the Union Representatives. Before I left the County all social services employees had not received an increase on salaries for 5 years, and when we did, it was only 35 cents per hour. Overall, working with the County was more a personal satisfaction knowing that I was able to help families in need of public assistance.
Pros
Paid benefits and Family Leave
Cons
Under paid salary
working to better the lives of families by developing and utilizing relationships with the client and community resources
Protective Services Worker II/ Social Worker (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 30, 2018
A very interesting and diverse career that requires total dedication. I learned how to manage my work time to best meet the goals assigned by the agency. A typical day included responding to phone calls, working with the data management software, responding to phone calls, writing court reports and going in into the field to work directly with the clients involved in my case load. When managing other workers, I provided supervision and guidance to support the work they were attempting to complete. The culture is supportive and team oriented while still needing the skills to be a self starter. The hardest part of the job is seeing children in harms way. The most enjoyable part is providing protection for those in harms way.
Productive and fun workplace with a gym attached could use more parking spots
Legal Support Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Kearny Mesa, CASeptember 17, 2018
Cafeteria has great food. Coworkers are great. I have worked here for 11 years now and I have enjoyed it greatly. My coworkers have been like a family to me. I wish the job was more challenging. I am working on promoting. The biggest challenge is the competition for positions and promotions but there is nothing wrong with competition.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Traffic
no opportunity for advancement, it's who you know not what you know to promote.
Auditor & Controller/Revenue & Recovery (Current Employee) –  san diego caAugust 26, 2018
No opportunities for advancement. It's who you know not what you know to promote. Hold interviews to be politically correct, when in fact, they already know who they want to promote.
Pros
benefits/pension
Cons
no opportunity for advancement if you don't have a bachelor's degree, they only want the best of the best.
Excessive work load, compensation not adequate for task performed.
County of San Diego Maintenance (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92123November 29, 2018
Within the limitations of a government agency, you try to get as much done as possible. With staffing provided, objectives are not realistic. Management will not take into account that individuals coming from outside the County have suggestions that should be taken seriously, this doesn't happen. The more task you take on the more you will be loaded up, task that have nothing to do with your job title. If you're looking for support for reclassification, good luck. The hardest part of this job is the workload. The most enjoyable would be that there are many hard working County employees, many working outside their classification, working overtime and not being compensated, never short on effort, always trying to get more done for the people of San Diego County.
Cons
Overtime not compensated. Work out of classification.
Productive work experience
Project Manager/Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 17, 2018
A typical day's workload would be developing meetings required to meet with shareholders and/or dept. heads to arrange the scope of work for the projects that are needing attention to prequalify DBE's for the appropriated projects.
What I've learned is the process necessary to streamline the efforts for the approved projects, and manage shareholder meetings for design requirements for the developed buildings, project code requirements and needs, client's programming efforts for design.
The workplace culture is collaborative with all staff involved to meet project requirements needs, invoicing, contracts, and budgets.
The hardest part of the job is the make sure the qualified DBE contracted meets the appropriated budget and schedule.
The enjoyable part of the job is the client/dept. is satisfied with their new building and technology.
Pros
continued education available for career advanceent
Deputy Sheriff (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 28, 2018
Stable and secure career opportunities. Expected to work hard and start initiative. Various opportunities to move around the county and develop skills in different fields of work.
Excellent cost of living adjustment
Senior Legal Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 9, 2018
By far, one of the best employers I have worked with. The Training, support and development opportunities are there. The Awards and recognition are awesome. The company events for employees to attend are great. Thus far the HR Team is very helpful with setting up Retirement workshops to help you determine where to invest. SDCERA was great! I was so saddened when I was laid off, because our office closed. HR was great in helping us with the transition too. The Union was not good, they were not available to help with the lay offs, however the HR Team was there for us. I would love to go back into government.
Pros
Development, Pay, Benefits, Recognitions
Cons
Hard to transfer into another Lateral position.
High volume client turn around in a fast paced office enviroment.
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  HHSA /Chula VistaNovember 15, 2018
Working at Health & Human Services, everyday was different but the high volume of clients with financial needs,whether it be an EBT card emergency Medi-Cal Card, or a hotel voucher for emergency housing
was the normal day at the Welfare Office.
Pros
I worked with and assisted some very good people with with the County of San Diego
Cons
A shift from good management to an aggresive micro-management team.
Good career.
Deputy Sheriff/Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 25, 2018
A good career with good benefits. Upward mobility. Made lots of friends in the 28 years I worked there. It was stressful at times but a very exciting career.
Opinion On Being A Production Supervisor
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJune 27, 2018
Currently, I am still working here at the moment. I work the grave yard shift so I don't get much time to see my family because of the hours. Working at night present a problem because whenever I need time off it's difficult because no one wants to work those hours. The job is easy but it does comes with some challenges. Whenever I tries to make a change to a process someone runs to HR about some complaint. After about a year it feels like you are walking on egg shells and the workers here love to spread rumors and gossip. Most of the employees have some kind of medical situation and they know how to get over on the system.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Working with difficult employees and co-workers. Also, finding time to spend with my family.
Been there done that
Life Coach (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 4, 2018
I like helping people because it is gratifying and that what happens at this job; people are helped, meaning that they are successful at what they are trying to accomplish or maintain. I leaned to listen better to people and not try to come up with an answer for everything they may had said. I really like the owner. The people that I worked with were very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the paper work.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Long hours ended
fast paced, a lot to learn
Deputy Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 28, 2018
It is very busy, often overworked. Not much support from upper management. Co-workers are great and time permitting, fun things are planned. working with the families can be challenging, as is working with the courts. there are many view points to consider. You must be very detailed oriented and accountable for your time. It can be overwhelming at first, but you learn a lot about law and systems.
Pros
stable employmnet
Cons
negaative work environment
San Diego County Sheriff's Department
Corporal/Training Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 10, 2018
The San Diego County Sheriff's Department is a very good Department. The health benefits are great! The advancement possibilities are endless. In my opinion, the management levels needs to be improved.
Excellent Benefits
Information Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 8, 2019
The County provides employees with an excellent benefits package. Endless meetings. Very heavily focus'd on process and very little autonomy. The pay is good but the work is very procedure driven.
Alright place to work
Insect Detection Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 6, 2018
Work felt repetitive to me, and my options for advancement would have taken quite a bit of time because I didn't have a college degree. But its a good job if you are looking for stability, and plan to stay there a while.
Pros
county job
Cons
my work was repetitive and monotonous