County of San Mateo, CA

County of San Mateo, CA insights

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Great team

The team i work with is very supportive and helpful. We were all cross-trained and so if someone needs help, one can easily ask another team member to assist temporarily.

Very good career

I worked for 20 years and retired from SMCO Probation. I learned a lot, really liked the work and found it fulfilling for most of my career. I liked being able to help people try and change their lives, as the job was a balance between social work and police. Unfortunately, the trend is more policing in many aspects. As with all jobs, there are some supervisors and managers who are not very supportive, but there are many who are. I liked most all of my co-workers. All-in-all, I'm thankful for the career I had and have gained a lot from the experience.

Pros

Pay, ability to change work units after a couple of years, fulfilling work, training, union

Cons

Change in trend of management to more policing and apparent distrust of linestaff.

depends on the team

County has a lot of money that I wish they would spend more on community services. Relatively good pay and benefits. Job is stable if you get a classified job, but offering many "limited term" that expire in 3 years with no pension

Great opportunity to grow as a professional

I worked with students directly and had the opportunity to help build a program working with at-risk youth. Very professional management and staff at the office. Flexibility and support from senior management.

Supportive Environment

I worked at District 2 and was surrounded by a supportive group of rangers and aides. They actively helped me learn new skills and entrusted me with important duties when they felt I was capable.

Would you recommend working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Management and HR are disfunctional

The pay and benefits may be good, but having to deal with management and HR is a nightmare; especially if you put in a complaint. I was treated poorly by management, then HR too.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Poor management; poor HR;

That is staring in my role, but there are staged increases at 6 months and 1 Year. My postion is covered under a colletive bargining agreement .

Overall -- a great place to work. I thought it would have a far more bureaucratic, government office culture. I won't say there is none of that -- but it's definitely a secondary thing. The County management is always harping on 'what are we doing for our clients?' -- San Mateo County residents. Frankly, I've been blown away by that.

good experience learning

it was a good experience during my internship, I would highly recommend for future interns looking to learn and receive proper training on assessments, charting, and attending educational training for DV, LGBTQ*, and advocacy for vulnerable populations

Productive and supportive work environment

Worked 11pm to 7pm County provides management training Management was supportive Workplace culture was diverse Working NOC shifts is hard I liked the diversity and community involvement of the hospiatl

Horrible

It was miserable working there the shift would go by extremely slow and I felt like my skills were not being utilized. I was under paided and under appreciated

Jobs at County of San Mateo, CA

See more jobs

They seem passionate about supporting their community

San Mateo County was a typical government organization with a laid back culture. Even though they took very good care of their own employees(lol), I saw a lack of interest in working that was frustrating for me as a Project Manager. There was a lot of conflict within the upper management that made it a very sad and depressing environment to work at. Maybe this is normal in large old organizations. In general, I just hated seeing my local government squander away our hard-earned money.. That said, there were many projects to help the employees get healthy and happy which was nice : )

Patient care workers, long hours, no benefits

Always budget, budget, budget ...though wasteful. Like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Advertise for nurses but there been a freeze on hiring. They want hires to be "on-call", but work full-time hours all shifts. That way they don't pay benefits, and can let-go-at-will. So many work close to full time...but no benefits at all. Ca. in 2020 mandatory to have healthcare or $700 fine imposed. fine on taxes. Here there a county , government job, that drives nurses on slave labor

I retired from San Mateo county after 30 years.

Great place to work. The people in the public works department care about what they do. Management has enough trust in the line staff to let them lead from the bottom up. I always felt supported.

Fun workplace which is relaxed but still keeps you busy

I loved working for the county as a library intern and would highly recommend the position to anyone considering. It's very fun and I was always happy to come to work.

Very simple and easy to work

This job was not very challenging. I like a challenge. I did not stay very long because of the commute and the salary. It did not fit with my needs but would recommend for someone who is starting out in admin.

Casual Place to Work

A typical work day involves checking in with the front desk office of the school you are assigned to that morning. Then you find the classroom you are assigned to work in where the teacher will assign you a student to monitor for the day. The work culture is laid back but the hardest part of the job is dealing with other co-workers personalities. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students learn new skills.

Bad Culture.

I found the county to be extremely wasteful of tax payers' money. Misaligned goals and incentives drove division between employees, departments and fundamentally prevented good people from supporting the community in the most effective ways. I do not recommend working there if you want to make improvements. However each department's managerial approach is different so its certainly possible to find some great positions working there; but they are not norm.

Good culture stable environment

I enjoy working with San Mateo County. The on-boarding is quick and efficient. Coworkers are friendly and willing to assist. Management is fair. Overall one of the better places I have worked.

County of San Mateo a great place to work

I felt proud to say I worked for County of San Mateo. Their mission in the community was in alignment with my values, and it was a great place to work. Great pay and benefits.

Ok

It's a government job. The work load is fine, not too little, nor too much, which makes for a less stressful work environment. Since it is a government, the workplace culture is not the best, because it is hard to discipline or terminate less competent employees, which discourages employees that have integrity.

Horrible

Terrible management back biting and corrupt with denying benefits when needed....based on whether they like you or not never on objective criteria......pathetic dont support their staff encourage staff to undermine each other to survive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at County of San Mateo, CA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight