County of San Mateo, CA
67Average

County of San Mateo, CA Employee Reviews

United States154 reviews
Worked 11pm to 7pm County provides management training Management was supportive Workplace culture was diverse Working NOC shifts is hard I liked the diversity and community involvement of the hospiatl
I worked at District 2 and was surrounded by a supportive group of rangers and aides. They actively helped me learn new skills and entrusted me with important duties when they felt I was capable.
The pay and benefits may be good, but having to deal with management and HR is a nightmare; especially if you put in a complaint. I was treated poorly by management, then HR too.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management; poor HR;
Overall -- a great place to work. I thought it would have a far more bureaucratic, government office culture. I won't say there is none of that -- but it's definitely a secondary thing. The County management is always harping on 'what are we doing for our clients?' -- San Mateo County residents. Frankly, I've been blown away by that.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
it was a good experience during my internship, I would highly recommend for future interns looking to learn and receive proper training on assessments, charting, and attending educational training for DV, LGBTQ*, and advocacy for vulnerable populations
It was miserable working there the shift would go by extremely slow and I felt like my skills were not being utilized. I was under paided and under appreciated
San Mateo County was a typical government organization with a laid back culture. Even though they took very good care of their own employees(lol), I saw a lack of interest in working that was frustrating for me as a Project Manager. There was a lot of conflict within the upper management that made it a very sad and depressing environment to work at. Maybe this is normal in large old organizations. In general, I just hated seeing my local government squander away our hard-earned money.. That said, there were many projects to help the employees get healthy and happy which was nice : )
Always budget, budget, budget ...though wasteful. Like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Advertise for nurses but there been a freeze on hiring. They want hires to be "on-call", but work full-time hours all shifts. That way they don't pay benefits, and can let-go-at-will. So many work close to full time...but no benefits at all. Ca. in 2020 mandatory to have healthcare or $700 fine imposed. fine on taxes. Here there a county , government job, that drives nurses on slave labor
Great place to work. The people in the public works department care about what they do. Management has enough trust in the line staff to let them lead from the bottom up. I always felt supported.
I loved working for the county as a library intern and would highly recommend the position to anyone considering. It's very fun and I was always happy to come to work.
This job was not very challenging. I like a challenge. I did not stay very long because of the commute and the salary. It did not fit with my needs but would recommend for someone who is starting out in admin.
A typical work day involves checking in with the front desk office of the school you are assigned to that morning. Then you find the classroom you are assigned to work in where the teacher will assign you a student to monitor for the day. The work culture is laid back but the hardest part of the job is dealing with other co-workers personalities. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students learn new skills.
I found the county to be extremely wasteful of tax payers' money. Misaligned goals and incentives drove division between employees, departments and fundamentally prevented good people from supporting the community in the most effective ways. I do not recommend working there if you want to make improvements. However each department's managerial approach is different so its certainly possible to find some great positions working there; but they are not norm.
I enjoy working with San Mateo County. The on-boarding is quick and efficient. Coworkers are friendly and willing to assist. Management is fair. Overall one of the better places I have worked.
I felt proud to say I worked for County of San Mateo. Their mission in the community was in alignment with my values, and it was a great place to work. Great pay and benefits.
It's a government job. The work load is fine, not too little, nor too much, which makes for a less stressful work environment. Since it is a government, the workplace culture is not the best, because it is hard to discipline or terminate less competent employees, which discourages employees that have integrity.
Terrible management back biting and corrupt with denying benefits when needed....based on whether they like you or not never on objective criteria......pathetic dont support their staff encourage staff to undermine each other to survive
Good job security and Good benefits. Management may vary. Good coworkers. Occasional overtime. Good paid time off. 1 hour lunches. Also get Flex schedule.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
The County definitely operates on a who-you-know, not what you know basis. Things are incredibly political here. I think that a lot of people really want to do the right thing for the County residents, but if you don't play along with those in charge, things are made difficult for you.
Pros
Good health, dental, vision benefits
Cons
Lack of parking, politics
This was an awesome place to work. The supervisor in the court reporter division was amazing and we all worked as a team. Reporters are helpful, understanding, and friendly.
Pros
Job Security. Benefits.
Cons
Commuting if you don't live nearby
I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with the County of San Mateo. My co-workers were wonderful people who were supportive, generous, and kind. To my dismay, I accepted a job offer with a public entity which offered the best opportunity I couldn't refuse: proximity to my residence.