County of San Mateo, CA
Happiness rating is 69 out of 100

County of San Mateo, CA Employee Reviews

United States168 reviews

countysancommunitypublicdepartmentlackprojectorganization

What is the best part of working at the company?Co-workers, clientsWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?incorrectly installed software, lack of training within work unit, revolving door of managers and directors, misclassification of positions (incorrect job title)What is the work environment and culture like at the company?highly regimentedWhat is a typical day like for you at the company?a set of daily goals which need to be accomplished in 24 hours

What is the best part of working at the company?Ability to move upWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Customers that were entitled What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Friendly and supportive What is a typical day like for you at the company?In my field, it’s 50-50 office to outside of office work

County of San Mateo, CA insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Fair pay for job
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Big Lift Inspiring Summers Program was a blast

I had a great experience as a learning facilitator for elementary students, but we had a lot of problems involving supplies. We also had a number of communication problems with administration regarding a safety issue, but we were eventually able to resolve the situation.

Little support from administration, less pay than surrounding counties

Lack of support and understanding from administration often makes it a difficult place to work. While unions have fought hard to increase our pay we are still significantly less than surrounding counties.

My team and supervisor

I have a great team and supervisor. We all work well together. Now the manager over our department is something else, he has no people skills, and just seems to be unhappy in life.

Pros

For me the early hours work great and make work and personal life balance out

Cons

Expensive health care if your not in Management

Nice place to work with great coworkers

The public healthcare system in San Mateo County is superior to other surrounding areas. I’ve worked in a few neighboring counties as well… my particular supervisor was micromanaging me and not supportive of my long commute which ultimately led to my leaving the job. But the job itself was great and my other coworkers were wonderful.

Where nurses can thrive

Really happy with my position and compensated fairly. Appreciate being given opportunities to learn on the job (LMS), support of continuing education for licensure, benefits and strong union presence/CNA. I hope to spend my nursing career here and retire.

Pros

Compensation, independence, growth

Cons

No parking

produtive, friendly trainings

good fun positive place to work. beautiful county. it is easy to move up and advance if you are a hard worker, watch out for company politics though. You have to learn to navigate it

Meaningful work

While the work feels important, the county does not compensate fairly for the work we do. And there’s no easy transition up the ladder. You might get stuck at one position too long, doing other people’s work, because they fail to hire newly opened positions or because they don’t want to offer more hours/pay for those already employed.

Analyst II

Great place to work with awesome management and a team who is eager to help. Everyone was very smart and welcoming. I hate my job was only temporary. I loved working with FEMA and gaining finance experience.

Consistency, stability, community and family focused.

In working here, you can see the results of your labor. There are many outcomes that are very positive. There is training and educational elements constantly occurring. This type of job changes for the better in regards to services for it’s clients.

Pros

Innovative, empowering, engaging and is strength based.

Cons

Struggle with negative outcomes regarding family issues, pertaining to client’s.

Great team

The team i work with is very supportive and helpful. We were all cross-trained and so if someone needs help, one can easily ask another team member to assist temporarily.

Very good career

I worked for 20 years and retired from SMCO Probation. I learned a lot, really liked the work and found it fulfilling for most of my career. I liked being able to help people try and change their lives, as the job was a balance between social work and police. Unfortunately, the trend is more policing in many aspects. As with all jobs, there are some supervisors and managers who are not very supportive, but there are many who are. I liked most all of my co-workers. All-in-all, I'm thankful for the career I had and have gained a lot from the experience.

Pros

Pay, ability to change work units after a couple of years, fulfilling work, training, union

Cons

Change in trend of management to more policing and apparent distrust of linestaff.

depends on the team

County has a lot of money that I wish they would spend more on community services. Relatively good pay and benefits. Job is stable if you get a classified job, but offering many "limited term" that expire in 3 years with no pension

Great opportunity to grow as a professional

I worked with students directly and had the opportunity to help build a program working with at-risk youth. Very professional management and staff at the office. Flexibility and support from senior management.

Supportive Environment

I worked at District 2 and was surrounded by a supportive group of rangers and aides. They actively helped me learn new skills and entrusted me with important duties when they felt I was capable.

Management and HR are disfunctional

The pay and benefits may be good, but having to deal with management and HR is a nightmare; especially if you put in a complaint. I was treated poorly by management, then HR too.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Poor management; poor HR;

That is staring in my role, but there are staged increases at 6 months and 1 Year. My postion is covered under a colletive bargining agreement .

Overall -- a great place to work. I thought it would have a far more bureaucratic, government office culture. I won't say there is none of that -- but it's definitely a secondary thing. The County management is always harping on 'what are we doing for our clients?' -- San Mateo County residents. Frankly, I've been blown away by that.

good experience learning

it was a good experience during my internship, I would highly recommend for future interns looking to learn and receive proper training on assessments, charting, and attending educational training for DV, LGBTQ*, and advocacy for vulnerable populations

Productive and supportive work environment

Worked 11pm to 7pm County provides management training Management was supportive Workplace culture was diverse Working NOC shifts is hard I liked the diversity and community involvement of the hospiatl

Horrible

It was miserable working there the shift would go by extremely slow and I felt like my skills were not being utilized. I was under paided and under appreciated

Ask a question about working or interviewing at County of San Mateo, CA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.5
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight