County of San Mateo Employee Reviews

Only worked for a day
Volunteer Registrar (Former Employee) –  San Mateo County, CAJune 25, 2018
Friendly Staff
Experiential Learning Exhibitions
I literally only worked here for one day, but I included it on my resume to show I have volunteer experience.
Pros
Free Lunch, Experience with registration
Unprofessional pharmacy management
Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJune 14, 2018
Worse managers at the main pharmacy. So unprofessional and childish like behavior. Favoritism among employees and lack of communication among managers. Fake personalities and some have major psychological issues.
Excellent place to work
Office Assistant/Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CAMay 18, 2018
Great place to work. All benefits provided and ample room for advancement both lateral and upward. Education benefits to advance your college degree.
fun place to work
Admin. Secretary/Unit Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Redwood City, CAMay 4, 2018
This was my first long time job; Secretarial work. I learned answering phones, helping clients to different departments, greeted guests, typed, filed.
Pros
getting to know a lot of people
Cons
long days
Good place
Public Health Investigator (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAMay 2, 2018
A good place to work for. It was a good enviroment to be in in which i felt valued and appreciated and above all that our opinions were always heard by management.
Good Starting Point
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  San Mateo County, CAMay 1, 2018
Staff shortages have made it difficult and lack of advancement for the Correctional Rank. As a CO you work side by side Deputy Sheriff's but you are not offered presumptive coverages. With the cost of living in San Mateo County, the pay is not sufficient for most. Many staffers are commuters. Todays traffic in the Bay Area make it a challenging proposition. Take that and the staff shortages across the nation and the mandatory overtime with no sufficient medical coverage upon retiring. You have to consider your options and taking your experience elsewhere more affordable and rewarding.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Mandatory Overtime
Working for the county was a rewarding and full place to work.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAApril 25, 2018
Working for the county was a rewarding and full place to work. A great many of the employees are professional and hardworking. Management was supportive and helpful with training. I liked that the department would hold people accountable for lack of follow through and poor work-ethic.
Pros
Good pay and get benefits like medical and pension plan.
Cons
It is very difficult to promote into high level leadership positions, there are so few opportunities compared to the line staff positions.
Excellent workplace with work-life balance
Benefits Analyst II (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAApril 24, 2018
An excellent place to work where you can make a difference in the community. People stay in the County until they retire which can be a problem with career advancement opportunities.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Lack of career advancement opportunities
Overall a good place to work.
Manager, Bus Contracts (Current Employee) –  San Carlos, CAApril 23, 2018
Good place to work. Good options for exercise; exercise facilities on campus. Employee recognition in place in the form of gathering on the roof, food included.
xx
Benefits Analyst II (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAApril 1, 2018
You can grow in many different areas. The organization has many opportunities throughout the county to spread your wings. The training period for Analyst is more than sufficient.
Job opposed to Career
Patient Services Assistant II Access Call Center (Current Employee) –  Belmont, CAMarch 29, 2018
Served Mental Health Clients, Therapists, and Doctors. Conveyor belt for patient services within the mental health system. Slow development in programs
Pros
job security
Cons
worklife balance
Productive working place
Patient Service Assistant 2 (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAMarch 23, 2018
Everyone is supportive, thoughtful, understanding of one another. It is a very productive and fun place to work. The patients are always complimenting the work ethics we provide.
Too Political
Court Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Redwood City, CAMarch 4, 2018
This organization was a great place to work many years ago. However, due to the way that upper management treats its loyal employees, it lost very good people. Now they have individuals in high positions that have no idea of the day to day operation of the organization which makes it difficult for those who do, to do their jobs.
Pros
Great line staff and administrative staff
Cons
Upper management taking their staff for granted.
Job security, and good Compensation/ Benefits
Licensed Marriage Family Therapist II (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CA and Redwood CityFebruary 25, 2018
A busy work environment. Providing several different Public Services to the community. Well organized and systematic documentation often done electronically on the computer.
Pros
A job security, and good Compensation and Benefits
Cons
A large organization. Difficult to get to know employees
fun place to work with a lot of room for advancement
Office Assistant/Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Belmont, CAFebruary 22, 2018
It was a fun place to work. I had multiple advancements and opportunities. The medical benefits were awesome. My supervisors were very understanding and fun to work with.
Pros
great benefits
Once you get your foot in the door, there are many job opportunities.
Office Specialist / Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 27, 2018
In working for the county, there are many varied job opportunities. There are also many different types of office environments and locations. This gives one many choices. One needs to adapt to frequent management changes. In dealing with the public, one needs to be a good listener and patient. I found that I enjoyed helping people with their problems.
Pros
helping the public with their needs.
Cons
Being patient with the public every day
Fast Paced and fun place to work
Event Planner (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 23, 2018
My Contact at the San Mateo Expo Center was to plan and execute a 10-day stages and grounds acts for approximately 150,000 people who attended each year. My contract included negotiations, logistics planning, budgeting and accounting for the 10-days. I was also responsible for public relations and community outreach.
Pros
Interacting with the Community and the challenge of producing a 10-day event.
Terrible Management
Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 12, 2018
Would not recommend working here.
Did not like working here
This is a job I wish that I never agreed to take.
I didn't enjoy working this job at all. I have nothing else to say.
Pros
Cons
everything was badly managed
Family-like environment with great opportunities
Nursing (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 9, 2018
Great place to work. Small organization, which allows staff to engage in many opportunities and learn a variety of skills. The culture is relaxed and relationship centered.
This facility/venues was one that I was able to completely give it a facelift.
SVP & GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 7, 2018
When I arrived the facility was in disrepair, and I had a the opportunity to improve the curb appeal, landscaping, etc. which allowed me to sell the facility/venue to increase our revenues dramatically.

This in turn allowed for many additional improvements in the millions to further increase the business.
Pros
Excellent premier facility/venue to work and the benefits were great.
Cons
Lack of additional funds from San Mateo County for other major projects