County of Santa Clara Employee Reviews

Great for stability but not work the stress
Office Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 13, 2019
Toxic culture with a great amount of stress and internal politics.
Many people do the bare minimum. The hard workers get taken advantage of. It's easy to start highly motivated but you soon become jaded by their system.
Pros
stability
Cons
stress
A very friendly environment to work in
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CADecember 12, 2018
The leadership team is great. They got a new CIO who is amazing. She brought in a lot of changes trying to make the entity a smart public organization. Happy to go back to work there again.
Management in some departments needs a make over
Medical Laboratory Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 19, 2018
Im sure there are rather good managers in various departments, but in mine specifically....they really need to think about how they treat their workers and how their laziness really affects them. Its a heavy job, but the morale was never boosted and ended up in grumpy faces, backstabbing etc because people were burned out.
High salary with high cost of living
Human Resources Assistant I (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 3, 2018
Most of the positions are higher paying than many other counties in California. Unfortunately, the salary isn't enough for the housing expenses in this area unless you work in a high tech company. Workplace culture is similar to other government agencies, expecting you to work hard with little appreciation. On the positive side, there is room for career advancements.
Support for The one's success is somewhat offered.
Equal Opportunity Officer (Former Employee) –  2310 North First Street, San Jose, CANovember 1, 2018
Ongoing skill enhancement would be a great benefit for all employees of the County. This activity is not greatly offered. The investment for continued professional growth needs to be greately improved.
Pros
Appreciation of team spirit.
Cons
Lack of opportunity for trying new things. No encouragement for creativity.
Opportunity for advancement
Sr. Human Resources Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 23, 2018
There are many opportunities for advancement at the County. The County has various work locations throughout Santa Clara County with opportunities for internal transfer.
Child welfare is difficult and after so many years there comes a point that you just can’t do it anymore.
Social Worker III Dependency Investigation (Former Employee) –  San José caOctober 17, 2018
And with the constant changes in upper management and daily procedures, it becomes too much. The pay is great benefits are great but the bureaucracy and lack of compassion for the families we service and the workers who serve them is horrible.
Did not enjoy this engagement at all
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 16, 2018
I found the staff to be unfriendly and argumentative and the management to be uncaring unless it directly impacted them.

More and more characters....
Casual and professional environment
Justice Systems Clerk II (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 16, 2018
I've been in the County more than a decade. Management will find and exploit hard workers; those staff are relegated to their positions with no hope of promotion because management relies on them too much.
Pros
Very decent health benefits
Cons
Inflexible work schedules
Office and Fun work place of people contrubuting to their own work
BOS Office Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 25, 2018
County of Santa Clara was an exciting place to work because I learned a lot as an intern there, working on creating outreach to non profit communities to further community outreach
Pros
one hour lunch. not stressful. fours are flexable
Cons
Pay.
Volunteer position
Court Appointed Special Advocate (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 18, 2018
A CASA is volunteer position; it is not paid and thus I cannot review the County in the same way. Being a CASA is rewarding though and recommended if you want to help kids in Foster Care.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Serving the community
Justice System Clerk 1 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95131September 16, 2018
Staff are treated equally regardless of seniority. Very ethnically diverse work environment. Room for advancement. Yearly wage increases backed by an excellent union.
Pros
14 paid holidays, paid sick time, paid vacation days, 32 hours personal leave per year.
Cons
Long commute
had very nice outings with team managers
OS1/OSII - Office Assistant / Mail Team Lead (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 7, 2018
Good learning experience some good managers and it was very informative . gave me the ability to transfer my learning experience else where. I did several jobs and learned alot
Positive Attitude
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95112September 6, 2018
Productive & Professional Attire at all times, made the workplace have a positive outcome for me during my everyday administrative role for the county.
The DA was a great place to be
Legal Clerk (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 30, 2018
When I left I felt sad but I show have not I would knew my friends from SSA. The DA was a competitive place. You want to promote you needed to show is and that you really wanted it. Which is fine.
Great working environment, great co-workers and staff.
Office Perfessional III (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 7, 2018
I worked with Nurses. I learned Kronos and timekeeping skills. I learned Health Link. We all worked as a team. When one team member was finished with their work, they/we would pitch in with overflow of others work. I enjoyed working with my team. I had an amazing manager who made working with the county a great experience.
Pros
We bonded as a team. Lot of team building and potlucks
Cons
Cost of living in California didn't match the pay.
Positive and Educational enviornment
Community Action Partner/ Cultural Broker (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 31, 2018
This company was great to work with. I was able to network with others as well as learn different coaching styles. Managers offered one on one support and there was always room for collaborative efforts. The down fall is that many friends are hired and at times this is the root of hostile work environments
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Nepositism and large work loads
The most enjoyable part of the job
Supervising Criminal Investigator - Lieutenant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 29, 2018
Having a positive impact on the Santa Clara County community by administering justice equally, without bias, and holding those responsible for their crimes.
Position as Executive Director
Executive Director, Workers' Compensation Program (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 25, 2018
The County strives to meet its mission everyday, providing optimal and exemplary customer service to the employees and residents of Santa Clara County.
During my 14 1/2 years at the County, I was encouraged to pursue professional development courses for continued professional growth. Was given many opportunities to enhance my experience as an Executive Leader.
Great experience as a student
Database Administrator Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 24, 2018
Santa Clara County government provided a great place for me to grow, learn, and gain experience as a student working for the first time in a professional setting.