County of Santa Clara
70Average

County of Santa Clara Employee Reviews

United States221 reviews
My experience was hard while working for Public Health Department. It is a known fact that the nurse manager is degrading, mean, and a bully. She tried to make my life a living nightmare. She has been reported several times by others yet the department has only moved her to a different department not taking her position.
Pros
Great co-workers, that were helpful and offered insight.
Cons
The nurse manager is the devil’s wife.
Very unwelcoming if you are not one of the 3 most representative races indicative of Santa Clara County. Extremely racist and non-inclusive.
Decisions are made by management regardless of any laws, rules, or regulations. Complete and blunt favoritism when it comes to promotions or changing rules to benefit friends.

"The Good Ole Boys Club" at its finest.

Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Extremely Toxic environment, starting from from top management and especially in middle management
Santa Clara offers excellent benefits. However there is age discrimination. The office I worked for was racist, sexist and anti older employees. Management promotes based on politics and not merit.
Pros
Benefits are good.
Cons
Poor management
it shouldn't be up to IHSS caregivers to find homecare patients in need of IHSS services. The county should give placements for caregivers. i live and work in Fremont but santa clara pays etter and benifits are better
Being a professional teacher back home, working as a Substitute Admin Asst in SCCOE is the closest I can get to a school setting.
My suggestion: For vacancies, after offering to Internal transfers, Before it's opened to the public, maybe consider the line of Substitutes. They are already pre-tested, has experience in the system. Maybe ask input frm direct supervisor. nan
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Retired after 23 years of service to this organization. I have a biased opinion of the Agency I last was in, but the County of Santa Clara as a whole has excellent benefits.
Great company to work for. I worked for the Registrar of Voter's dept. It was a great experience with great people. Starting from management. I am looking forward into coming back.
Pros
Great company with great people!
Cons
N/a
Great benefits, but upper management could care less about the employees. Thank goodness for SEIU. Besides that, it's a great place to work, and friendly people to work with.
lots of work, you can always find someone to help.
Not finishing your job in time makes me feel real bad. It makes the next person behind.

Every day was differnt'
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
when people are not happy
I have worked for Santa Clara county for a few years and find it very rewarding, demanding so unless you love the population you may become a little burned out. I didn't but heard a lot of fellow employees say this about the job.
Pros
Great benefits, very rewarding if you love the population
Cons
No breaks and hard to take a lunch stressful
Working for the County of Santa Clara in the capacity of a support position that greatly assists in the overall success and smooth flow of the Vocational Services Department. Partnering with this department was a joy and a real inspiration being able to assist clients in filling out employment forms.
Co-workers are very friendly; makes me feel welcomed. My department was the final group to make sure all the ballots were ready to ship out. Our team worked very well together. I loved the atmosphere of my departments work ethic.
Work with multiple departments throughout the county, while managing PO's and contracts. Meet with management to give updates on "in process" orders and contracts. Workplace culture is professional and very inviting. Hardest part of the job is ensuring you're following all the rules and regulations needed to properly create a multi-year contract. Most enjoyable part of the job is the multiple opportunities to further your professional development in your current department and opportunities to transfer into other field available within the County.
Pros
Available courses to further your professional develpment
Cons
short deadlines to meet expiring contract renewals, familiarizing yourself with the acronyms and verbiage the Public Sector uses
Loved it. Worked for a County Supervisor. The position is demanding, there are high expectations. Great place to get a start in local politics and govt.
During my 13 year tenure, I had 7 direct supervisors and 2 managers. There were only 3 direct supervisors I respected based on how they treated me and the staff. Absolutely no flexible schedules. Some were bullies who clearly had favorites. Although I trained most of my own supervisors, there was a lot of micromanagement.
Horrible work environment. Management is unknowledgeable, and tries to intimidate you if you don’t kiss butt. Employees are like sheep who don’t think for themselves. No structure at all. Education and Training Dept are a joke. Completely USELESS
Made copies in assembly line for future voters. Drove to deliver and pick up mail for the county of Santa Clara. Helped set up for voters In different cities and delivered all materials needed. Also helped set up voting machines to have them prepared for the upcoming election.
A toxic, racist, sexist and ageist work culture has been created by the current management. If you aren’t a puppet who rows the line, you will be harassed until you leave. Don’t work there.
I spent the probation period being set up to fail, and - shocker here - failed. Avoid Roads and Airports is the best advice I can give. Especially avoid working for the land development section in roads and airports
Community worker has a lot to do and deal with women whom are getting their lives in order dealing with parenting, wellness, child development and being a productive mother. I am a driver and drug test clients, I also facilitate a wellness class of exercise and self-care.
Pros
great place
Cons
no growth
Santa Clara county is a great place to work. The benefits and the morale is good. I hope to make this job a great stepping stone to further my career in the Information Technology Department.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at County of Santa Clara. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight