COUNTY OF SANTA CLARA Employee Reviews

Good benefits
Legal Process Clerk III (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 18, 2018
Good retirement and health care. No free lunches. No free coffee. Dirty working conditions. Office is near my home, so the commute is easy. I do not take any work home.
Great Environment
Office Specialist, Medical Social Work Office (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 7, 2018
I enjoyed working immensely at SVMC. I would like to work there again. Staff was cooperative for the most part. I learned a lot about faxing and scanning.
Benefits
Labor Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 27, 2018
The benefits are good, but new employees need to find out how much of the employers share of PERS they will be paying. The starting salary does not reflect that deduction.
Driven Workplace
Advanced Clerk Typist Step 1-5 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 19, 2018
Long hours and very driven workplace. I had three promotions while working at the County and each promotion required new bosses and new roles. The first two bosses I loved and the last boss, our management style clashed and I resigned after 2 years.
Pros
Great Promotion
Cons
Long Long Hours sometimes 70-80 hours usually 50-60
Voluntary Internship
Employee Wellness Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 21, 2017
The Employee Wellness Department was an excellent experience during my undergraduate internship. It provided many learning opportunities with a diverse workload in a professional setting.
Sense that you're making a difference
Transcriptionist II (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95110November 17, 2017
Working here give you the sense that you are making a difference in your own little way. You feel part of a team and supported, almost like a second family. You feel taken cared of, valued, and appreciated. It is an awesome place to work.
Pros
Great benefits, room for growth
Cons
High-stress, fast-paced.
Fun place to work.
Senior Health Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 18, 2017
Depending on the department you work in determines how the flow of you day will go. I worked in Dermatology and Rheumatology and out department was pretty laid back but very productive. We were like a family at work and helped each other when needed.
Office Specialist lll/Clerical Lead (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 28, 2017
Nice environment
Good management
Good benefits
Pleasant atmosphere
Lots of interaction with the public, very high phone volume,
very good training by my supervisor
I enjoyed my job very much and was saddened when I had to relocate.
Pros
good people
Cons
nothing
Nice fun place to work
Office Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 9, 2017
I enjoyed working at the County of Santa Clara. The day started off with a little training as to what the task was for the day. I opened ballots for the Primary Election flattened them sorted them edited and tried to understand the voters intent
Pros
You could work overtime
It's okay
Buyer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 26, 2017
Good stable government job with great benefits. There is a clear path to what is next in terms of career steps and you can move departments after sufficient time spent.
Very productive workplace
Parking Patrol Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 6, 2017
Very healthy working environment and learned a lot. I started of as a Parking Patrol intern for the County of Santa Clara, now I am a Supervisor for Parking Patrol interns. I train all the new interns and I also handle all appeals of tickets and parking issues as well.
Uneducated Management and Severe Nepotism
Health Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 6, 2017
The county job has been one to obtain in most cities and states. Unfortunately with the "vested" employees whom has no incentive to treat new employees fair make for a stressful job. The polarization by management and supervisors make it impossible to feel welcomed to a new family. Yes , family , due to the fact that you spend the most time and energy. This is a very dysfunctional family. Managers are sleeping with managers, supervisors are having affairs with other supervisors which go unchecked they just move the employee to a new position. I have never been at a place of employment with known and celebrated violations of employee work rights.
Pros
Employment
Cons
challenging job and good superiors
Accountant III (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 14, 2017
I liked my job. I was happy and I was recognized several times for my performance. Very friendly and unionized. Everyone focused in their job. There was great opportunity for promotion when the job was open.
Pros
free picnics, T shirts.
Cons
none.
A Cog in the Machine
Office Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 13, 2017
I was an employee during an election. I helped open, sort, mark as invalid, and otherwise check ballots. It was simply being a piece of a machine to complete the rather tedious process of tallying votes. Not terribly difficult, but very tedious and boring.
Pros
Pay, Seated rather than standing
Cons
Tedium, Boredom
Review summary
Managing Dietitian, Senior Nutrition Program (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 11, 2017
The workplace culture is progressive and forward thinking. It allows me to work with the various different ethnicities in the county. I enjoy working the senior population in our county and helping them achieve their health goals.
Great job and benefits
Protective Services Officer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 10, 2017
The pay is absolutely horrible. They expect us to live on a 55000 dollar job where even 100000 dollars is considered low income. They should double or triple everyone's pay. Too much work for not enough compensation. The hospital is great but unfortunately it seems that there isn't too much room for advancement. The benefits are great but other than that the pay is horrible.
Benefits
Cons
The amount responsibility and work and constant harassment by management and supervisors
fun, and fast paced
Social Worker I (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMay 4, 2017
many changes can occur in one day due to the unpredictable situations. County does a lot to help out the community. Many resources are offered to people and employees go above and beyond.
Pros
great pay
Cons
hard to become permanent
Job stability as long as you can put up with the beaucracy
Clinical RN III (Former Employee) –  VSCJanuary 14, 2017
Worked in Ophthalmology clinic for years, the doctors and residents are fabulous, some of the nurses too. Management was ineffective in dealing with bullying and unproductive employees.
Must have patience and skill in dealing with unhappy clients- long wait times for appointments and waiting to see MDs.
Wonderful exposure to all sorts of patients from peds to custody.
Pros
get that check every 2 weeks
Cons
fake that smile everyday with problem employees
Productive place to work but no ping pong table
Workers' Compensation Claims Adjuster III (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 29, 2016
Fast paced claims environment. Highly skilled claims personnel. Excellent and on-going training regimen with good management support.
Overall summary of Santa Clara County
Extra Help (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2016
Great place for anyone to get their door in. However it is very difficult for you to move up and may take a 2 to 3 years minimum to move up the next level. For example an Account I moving to Account II could take awhile.
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Too much job that security that new positions hardly open up.