County of Sonoma (CA)

County of Sonoma (CA) Employee Reviews

United States48 reviews
bogged down in county regulations
Like any other county I have worked in - so much "red tape" but people working for the county have a hearts of gold. I needed more understanding of my learning style to be fully effective.

FYI my role as S exual A ssault Forensice Examiner under job titled was tagged as "inapropriate language" so I will try SAFe and see if it is accepted. LOL
Regional Parks is a great place to work!
Everyone works well together because we are all on purpose with environmental sustainability. Overall things flow well, people take responsibility, and the scope of our work is wide and varied.
Excellent employees.
Kind and committed employees who work hard to improve the homelessness issues. Understaffed and overworked management team also committed to improving homelessness challenges.
Pros
Heart centered employees
Cons
Unreasonable workload
Good Opportunities
The County has lots of great opportunities and many departments to choose from. I have worked with many great employees and had many more opportunities working with other agencies through my time with the County of Sonoma.
Great place to work if you can deal with stress well
IF you don't have more than an AA a county job is great. Good pay, good benefits, clean, and you only work the hours scheduled and nobody will call you in to cover for anyone else. Your weekends are yours. They help you save for retirement. I retired at the age of 50 with a life time benefit now I am free to work anywhere else and still get my retirement money.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
"Mean girls" culture fostered by managemet
Management encourages a tattle tale environment. The HSD is full of gossiping girls who want you to fail. It's a game of favorites and if you don't play, you lose.
Very educational and in-depth work ezperience
Very stressful managing excessive paperwork which too more time than working with clients. Clients were intense and high risk with many layers of needed case management
Importanr service to the communiry
Delivering food to Native American clients of Sonoma County Indian Health Project. Very important community service. Sonoma County Indian Health Project is growing and improving its services to the community.
Pros
Free lunches, good working conditions
Cons
Long drive to Kashia reservation
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at County of Sonoma (CA)?
It's not the best place to work but it pays the bills.
Really one of the only places in Sonoma County that pays a liveable wage. Doesn't mean you'll enjoy it though. High volumes of phone calls to a service center while also maintaining an independent case load.
Dedicated people who give 100 percent to serve the community
Great place to work. One of the best law enforcement agencies in California. They do not micromanage and you can work as much or as little overtime as you want. Dedicated hard working people. The administration is supportive.
Pros
Seniority based scheduling
Cons
Shift work
Nice co-workers but super stressful
It should be a great place to work but the management is really out of touch with the employees. Everybody is overworked. Typical work day is never typical and one is consistent fielding crisis with very little supervision and support or training. Workplace culture is sad and stressful. The hardest park of the job is not having enough time to accomplish your work and that can develop into a dangerous situation.
Pros
Working with smart people who care.
Cons
Trying to do an impossible job with high risk for moral injury.
County of Sonoma Review
Great place to work with a relaxed environment and all the tools needed to do the job. The county does have old software still banging around and as a result is lagging behind the fast paced software environment.
The County of Sonoma is a good place to work!
I enjoyed my time working at the County of Sonoma! I would have liked to continue working there, but I moved too far away. The commute was challenging, especially as my children were quite young at that time.
You are on your own.
As a IHSS Caregiver you are on the lowest rung of the healthcare tech workers ladder. Mostly left on your own, most have no benefits and the pay is very low. You are expected to take on clients and do all the scheduling and work on your own. After many hours at the bargaining table as a union steward was able to negotiate some changes. This is a very hard life job for anyone as it is physically and emotionally demanding.
Pros
You know you are making a difference in peoples lives
Cons
Very emotionally and physically demanding
County of Sonoma is misinterpreted
I had many experienced in the wine industry in Sonoma County. I was not an employee of the county itself. That is a misinterpretation by Indeed.com's system.
Different
It's been many years since I worked there. I have had on-going contact with the department since leaving. The culture and conditions are very different currently.
good
A typical day at work is very calm. relaxing atmosphere. a little too quiet sometimes. good amount of space. good people. good working conditions. good meetings.
Good luck passing your probationary period under the current system at FY&C
This review is specific to the Family, Youth and Children's Services Department. I am not familiar with other county jobs.

Yes it pays relatively well and they offer retirement and all of that. Theoretically it could be good experience for a social worker in public child welfare. There are also some gems in the bureaucratic rough who work there, to be sure.

However, it does not seem to matter if you are the most dedicated, passionate, come-in-early and stay-late, went-to-grad-school-JUST-for-this position, collaborative, honest person who really cares about children's wellbeing . . . If you ruffle the wrong feathers somehow, do not expect any reasonable disciplinary measures to address the issue. Expect to be suddenly let go without warning or explanation after receiving nothing but positive feedback the entire time you were there. I am not the only person to whom this has happened recently. Despite being chronically understaffed to the point that seasoned employees keep having to switch departments and take on extra work, they don't seem to want to keep qualified people. It's confusing.

If you want to last longer than 6 months, keep your head down. Don't question anything. After 6 months, it appears to be impossible to fire even the most incompetent of employees, so aim to get through that first, and then start actually caring about the quality of the work you're doing later. Good luck.
Pros
Great benefits, good salary, good break room, employee cars, nice coworkers generally
Cons
Impossible workload for certain positions, rampant mismanagement, poor supervision, poor job security for new employees, few opportunities for licensure, lack of collaboration, top-down directions given that are non-negotiable about very serious things, inefficiencies in many areas
Wonderful place to work and give back to your community
I love the idea of giving back to the County I was born. I've had a wonderful career here and I hope it continues. It is not my choice to possibly leave my position so I am currently looking at other career avenues within the County in order to stay here.
Pros
Many areas to work in
Cons
Government red tape
Great Job!
Ioved everything about the job, hated to leave. I worked with a terrific group of people who truley cared about the reason we were there. I was happy to go in every week and truely appreciated my weekends. I did not take work home with me.
Intern/Extra Help
It was a great learning experience. I didn't have a full-time position, but it seems like the majority of the position is maintaining old code and not much new development. Additionally, job culture is mostly personal and not very community based. From what I understand benefits are great.