County of Sonoma (CA) Employee Reviews

Good luck passing your probationary period under the current system at FY&C
Social Worker IV (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAOctober 17, 2018
This review is specific to the Family, Youth and Children's Services Department. I am not familiar with other county jobs.

Yes it pays relatively well and they offer retirement and all of that. Theoretically it could be good experience for a social worker in public child welfare. There are also some gems in the bureaucratic rough who work there, to be sure.

However, it does not seem to matter if you are the most dedicated, passionate, come-in-early and stay-late, went-to-grad-school-JUST-for-this position, collaborative, honest person who really cares about children's wellbeing . . . If you ruffle the wrong feathers somehow, do not expect any reasonable disciplinary measures to address the issue. Expect to be suddenly let go without warning or explanation after receiving nothing but positive feedback the entire time you were there. I am not the only person to whom this has happened recently. Despite being chronically understaffed to the point that seasoned employees keep having to switch departments and take on extra work, they don't seem to want to keep qualified people. It's confusing.

If you want to last longer than 6 months, keep your head down. Don't question anything. After 6 months, it appears to be impossible to fire even the most incompetent of employees, so aim to get through that first, and then start actually caring about the quality of the work you're doing later. Good luck.
Pros
Great benefits, good salary, good break room, employee cars, nice coworkers generally
Cons
Impossible workload for certain positions, rampant mismanagement, poor supervision, poor job security for new employees, few opportunities for licensure, lack of collaboration, top-down directions given that are non-negotiable about very serious things, inefficiencies in many areas
Intern/Extra Help
Intern (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJuly 4, 2018
It was a great learning experience. I didn't have a full-time position, but it seems like the majority of the position is maintaining old code and not much new development. Additionally, job culture is mostly personal and not very community based. From what I understand benefits are great.
Eligibilty Worker's role is to determine the amount of benefits to be received by the applicant.
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAMarch 20, 2018
Meeting with the applicants, deciphering income and employment information in order to determine eligibility of benefits offered by the County of Sonoma Human services department.
Pros
Vast opportunity for employment opportunities
Cons
The limited resources of the county which reduces the amount of clients who can be served.
Different
Deputy Emergency Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CANovember 20, 2018
It's been many years since I worked there. I have had on-going contact with the department since leaving. The culture and conditions are very different currently.
Wonderful place to work and give back to your community
Section Secretary (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAAugust 22, 2018
I love the idea of giving back to the County I was born. I've had a wonderful career here and I hope it continues. It is not my choice to possibly leave my position so I am currently looking at other career avenues within the County in order to stay here.
Pros
Many areas to work in
Cons
Government red tape
County of Sonoma is misinterpreted
Wine broker (Former Employee) –  Sonoma, CANovember 29, 2018
I had many experienced in the wine industry in Sonoma County. I was not an employee of the county itself. That is a misinterpretation by Indeed.com's system.
good
Programmer Analyst, Intern (Former Employee) –  Sonoma, CAOctober 28, 2018
A typical day at work is very calm. relaxing atmosphere. a little too quiet sometimes. good amount of space. good people. good working conditions. good meetings.
Great Job!
Office Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJuly 17, 2018
Ioved everything about the job, hated to leave. I worked with a terrific group of people who truley cared about the reason we were there. I was happy to go in every week and truely appreciated my weekends. I did not take work home with me.
Local Government
Administrative Aide (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAMarch 17, 2014
Compensation not raised in years. Management wants more and more out of employees without any incentive to do so.
On the down hill slide! Find a better uplifting position!
Instrument/ Electrician (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CADecember 21, 2012
Has been on the down tun for about 4 years with no end in sight to pay cuts, pensions and loss of benefits. There are rewarding positions but best saved for relatives of upper managers.
Pros
many union positions
Cons
depressing environment, many employees walk out with no notice!
Loved the connection with many departments!
Admin Clerk/Tech/Planner II (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 23, 2015
I loved working for the County of Sonoma and I had the most amazing Managers there! They were mentors and role models to me. I learned all about the government process and the Planning field. I was able to establish and sustain wonderful working relationships with many departments, agencies, and customers. We organized many fun County events to boost morale and motivate others. Sometimes you needed to deal with frustrated customers though the County provided training and resources on how to effectively deal with them. There are many different departments where you can contribute to your employer's success and feel that you are doing a great job.
Pros
Cool Managers, Fun/Motivational Events, Great Benefits
Cons
Possible Frustrated/Irate Customers
A typical day
Human Resources Technician (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CADecember 4, 2017
Each day was strikingly similar, like Groundhog Day.
The culture around lunch hour is everyone eats at their desk. The opportunity to develop shared interests is limited.
Pros
basically without drama
Cons
solitary cubicle environment
great place to learn a lot fast
Maintenance Worker/ Extra help (Current Employee) –  Sonoma County, CAJuly 9, 2017
-a typical day at work is never typical. There is always something new to work on. almost every day is different, which makes it a great place to work if you want to learn a lot fast. i have had a great experience working here because almost everyday i have learned something new.
working with the county has been a pleasure since the management is top notch. Any problem Ive had or question I have given them has been taken care of in a very professional manner.
overall working for the county is great. The day to day work life is always a pleasure.
For me one of the hardest pats of the job can be the heat. The asphalt we lay is over 300 degrees, so the heat can be overwhelming at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me would have to be the great feeling I get from happy citizens.
dysfunctional work place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 2, 2017
worst office to work in, over my 8 years the county had conflict resolution specialists in to work with management numerous times.
Pros
job security
Cons
no acccountability for improper behaiors
great volunteer opportunity
VOLUNTEER ASSITANT OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAAugust 31, 2017
Great opportunity to work with the community. I learned the value of community involvement and support. It was a great team to volunteer with and support. Hardest part of the job is not being able to speak spanish. The most enjoyable part was helping others.
Fulfilling work with a lot of opportunity
Employment and Training Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CASeptember 17, 2015
You begin your day checking voice mails, alerts, and processing urgent applications or documents. Your morning will consist of either an application (depends on composition) you might take 1-3 hours. If you don't get an application you will be working independently on other cases that need to be passed. Your afternoon looks much the same. On average you get 1-2 cases per day and must pass as soon as possible (timelines/deadlines are very important). You will process on some days homeless assistance, emergency TANF or CF, and enroll clients in the CalWORKS program. Most of your duties revolve around granting and passing cases form your interviews.
Pros
Great co-workers, room for growth, fulfilling work
Cons
long hours at desk/interview rooms, not a lot of flexibility
Rewarding
Behavioral Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAApril 15, 2017
A number of inmates were interested in personal growth and attended self-help groups.
Very rewarding to help those who reached out and wanted to improve themselves.
Pros
Inmates
Great place to work!
Account Clerk III (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAMarch 6, 2017
I worked the accounts receivables for the cases in the X
County system. I learned how to apply wage garnishments for the cases in the Child Support accounting system. I audited cases to make sure all changes within each case was accounted for.
Pros
Pay was good. The management was good.
IT Career Background to Date:
Network Analyst (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAJanuary 2, 2015
I believe I possess the necessary skills and experience you are seeking and would make a valuable addition to Nexus IS. I have attained more than 19 years of progressive experience in the Information Systems field. I started my career in 1995 as a Certified Novell Administrator with Fireman’s Fund Insurance Companies home office in Novato, Ca. The Fireman’s Fund position allowed me to advance from Local Systems Administrator to Network Engineer in the Litigation Support Unit. I attained my Microsoft Certified System Engineer certification as well as my Cisco CCNA in anticipation of Fireman’s Fund outsourcing their IT division in 2001. I then resigned to take a job offer from the County of Sonoma. My experiences at the County of Sonoma included working on several major projects with the local Nexus IS crew, across all county departments.
Pros
Enjoyed my tenure at the County of Sonoma.
Cons
None.
High talent low accountability
Director, Health Services (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAOctober 13, 2016
A Directors team that is highly proactive but shies away from being held accountable. The Board is highly engaged and knowledgable.
Pros
Innovative, using cutting edge management strategies
Cons
Too many Directors reporting to the Board, causing confusion about strategic goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at County of Sonoma (CA). Our community is ready to answer.

4.2