Covance Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Largest CRO company
Process Excellence (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJAugust 16, 2018
Great environment to learn about the Healthcare industry and engage with business leaders on process improvements. The company has been acquired by LabCorp.
GReat company!
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 16, 2018
Really loved working here!!! Management was awesome, always supportive and in touch with the employees. I always had support and felt comfortable doing my job!!
Work/life balance--what is that?
External Laboratory Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 16, 2018
Covance can be a great place to work if you don't mind working 50-60+ hours a week. If you want work/life balance, this isn't the place to be.

The culture is bottom-line orientated with little or no thought to what it is costing the employee in work/life balance. This has become markedly worse since LabCorp acquired Covance; as did the healthcare benefits.

Senior management shows an "I don't care about you" attitude that translates right on down through the middle management level. There is very much an attitude of if I don't' like you it doesn't matter how well you do your job as far as promotion goes.

The job I have could be done in a normal 50 hour week if there were enough staff and the tools available worked well.

The one thing I am very happy about is the ability to work remotely. That is the saving grace for most of the non-laboratory jobs.
Pros
Flexible working conditions-work from home.
Cons
Healthcare, management, outsourcing of jobs.
Fun Job Bad Managment
Medical Kit Production (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 15, 2018
The way company's allow some management employee run wild is the reason why America is not growing job and economically. Hiring friends and favorites coupled with bias and discrimination is not a good recipe.
Pros
fun job
Cons
horrible, managment
great place
QC/QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 15, 2018
dont remeber the company that well its been a while since i left, but they did have a lot of good benefits, the only reason i left was because of my husband getting a contract for his job in GA
Don’t work here
Program Specialist I (Current Employee) –  MarylandAugust 15, 2018
In my experience they are losing a lot of good people due to the silly attendance policy. You can’t bring a note to be excused for being sick if it’s not an efficient amount of time. Employees are very cliquish even managers talk about their employees around you. The company treats you as though your disposable and I believe in a couple years they’ll have to close some locations or have a mass firing to keep costs low since they dish out so much money rehiring. Listening to how unprofessional some workers are on the phone they will definitely lose clients, unfortunately the company has its focus on the wrong things.
Pros
I get off at a decent time
Cons
Short breaks, no emergency sick days, a lot belittling here
Lack of focus
Program Representative (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 12, 2018
Covance was focused more on results than people and efficient processes. Although management claimed to have encourage innovation and feedback, this seems more of a formality than reality.
Pros
Discounted gym membership
Cons
short breaks, poor communication, cutthroat culture, lack of transparancy, poor morale
Sub par
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 8, 2018
Internal promotions are so common that most times it felt someone had already been determined the person for the position before the interviews were completed. Management is not very helpful when reaching out and requesting coaching, further training, and career advancement- which in turn caused the turnover to skyrocket. The culture projected in training does not reflect the actual employee experience and I hope this is reevaluated.
Pros
401k matching
Cons
inexperienced management, poor work life balance.
You will have a lot of work to do
Project Manager Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 6, 2018
You will be very busy and probably have to work some more at home if you are a Project manager.

The people that work their are friendly and will to help train you.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
a lot of work in some areas
stressful but professional place to work.
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDAugust 2, 2018
The work load was too much for the pay. Managers will keep pilling up your work task and you will be micro managed. Workplace had a nice culture with friendly people.
Pros
Potlucks with team members
Cons
stressful, occurances
Very Stressful
Temporary - Cust Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 1, 2018
Assigned to Covance through Ranstad so job was temp to hire. At the time of my hire I had never worked in a call center environment before and boy, what a shocker. I did not work in the call center, but was assigned to the support staff processing payroll, attendance, etc. Very Very fast passed and stressful
Pros
Cons
Way too unfriendly and stressful for me
Equal employment work place
Clinical Data Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 31, 2018
I enjoy working at Covance. It gave me the opportunity for growth. I was able to go back to school and paid by Covance. We also have mentoring program and employees recognitions.
Good experience
Patient Access Advocate (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJuly 31, 2018
The company was great but not the greatest management. a very strict attendance policy caused a lot of people to lose their job. no sick days. A lot of people would have doctor notes and hospital notes and you would still accrue points for not being at work
Covance
Senior, Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJuly 26, 2018
My typical week was spent traveling/monitoring on-site 4-5 days per week. I often spent weekends working on trip reports and expense reports. My travel was far since my sites were not regional.
Study Director III (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 26, 2018
This has been the most rewarding, engaging, and intellectually stimulating career I have had. There is a great work life balance, though days can be intense.
Was great until the buyout from LabCorp
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 24, 2018
Subpar benefits, outsourcing jobs to India, very political with little chance of promotion if you are not friends of higher ups. If you work hard, you are rewarded with more work and mediocre reviews to keep your raises low. Cost cutting and lean at any cost mentality. Not focused on quality at all.
Pros
Some jobs are remote
Cons
Work/life balance, management, benefits, toxic environment
Not a good Place to work.
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INJuly 22, 2018
When I started I watched 80% of my team quite for better jobs. My co-workers made it clear they were also out the door. There is a HIGH turn over rate. The management is the most unprofessional I have witnessed they put themselves in meetings most the day and then hang out with other supervisors. They go on 2 hour lunches . It was very odd and not stable.
Pros
My co-workers were great
Cons
It is to big of a company to be so poorly managed.
Great place for advancement
Senior Medical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 19, 2018
Awesome place to work. Easy to move up in the company. You see things here that you’ll never see in a hospital environment. Cutting edge technology and treatments of disease.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Health insurance is horrible now
Good pay, hard work, good co-workers
Sample Coordinator III-II (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 19, 2018
My experience at Covance was excellent. In the time I spent there I was promoted 5 times and increased my wages 40% from my starting wages. There is pressure to get the job done. Product is time sensitive. Accuracy is a must. People were wonderful to work with and I made some good friends there.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, work environment
Cons
Stress, hours
Ever changing
Patient Representative (Former Employee) –  Greenfield, INJuly 18, 2018
Each position is different, there is no typical information to provide. I learned a lot working for this company, and I am not able to disclose any information. They have a cafeteria and break rooms .