Covance Employee Reviews

Interesting Place to work
Global Clinical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 17, 2019
Covance has an interesting dynamic. On one hand they do allow opportunities for employment within the central labs arena that most companies probably wouldn't offer. Especially for those who are in need of an entry level position this is a good start. However once you begin to gain your experience and work towards being more innovative in your thinking they are very quick to put you in a box.
Lack of Trainng & Support
Project Manager, Early Clinical Development (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 15, 2019
It was difficult to obtain training for assigned tasks and management was not supportive when requests were escalated. Employees did not seem to be able to provide guidance to new hires as they indicated they were struggling themselves.
A lot of work not enough time
Animal Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 14, 2019
This job I was a overworked animal cage cleaner. I would have to be there at least an hour before my shift so that I could check emails and check up on paperwork. then I would have to go and change my clothes in to company provided scrubs and socks. I would have to go through so many security check points. Sometime I would have to get a pat down to make sure that I didn't try to sneak things in to the lab. I would then have to go into another locker room to put on my ppe. then got and clean cages for the test animals. Sometime I would have to feed the animals. I would have to clean my set rooms before I got to go home and they would always schedule us for more than we could do in 8 hours. I was let go because it was over an hour away and during the winter I would sometime not be able to make it because of weather.
Pros
Great lunch room
Cons
To many meetings for no reason.
High turnover, poor management, poor life/work balance
Study Coordinator IV (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJanuary 14, 2019
Work days were long as when people left which was often, their workload was just dumped on others. There was little concern for quality or people, only the bottom line. Managers were not leaders but bosses who played favorites. Morale was mostly low. There are some good employees, but there is a need for strong scientific leadership.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Work load, lack of adequate training, problems don't ever seem to get solved
Company needs improvement with retention of great talent
Project Management (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 13, 2019
Presently not happy in my position. While the company offers perks and benefits, my area has lacked the proper support and recognition therefore exhibiting poor retention of talent.

I am witnessing lots of good outstanding employees being retained in their current positions for more than 2 years without promotion or salary increases. Also, an increasing amount of additional responsibility. Classic "overworked and underpaid".
Wild west
Animal Technician (Current Employee) –  Alice, TXJanuary 11, 2019
This is the wild,wild west of animal care!! No room for moving up, if your are a woman, look elsewhere. Poor culture,no direction, animal care is not priority.
Nice place, smart people but management is weak
Senior Manager, XMICS and RBM systems (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 9, 2019
The people overall is very smart, but management has buckled since the LabCorp takeover. In the past year there has been a push for off shoring most of operational work.
Pros
Great people, nice location
Cons
Management is weak
Great Company!
Clinical Research Associate III (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 5, 2019
Great company! Life of a CRA is great however the work life balance is pretty tough. They offer great benefits and great pay. My travel was 75-85 percent so be prepared to be busy but its also a great feeling! Amazing company!
Pros
Travel
Cons
work life balance
Great company to work for, but pay has not kept up with inflation
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 1, 2019
Covance is a great place to work. They promote employee engagement to an extent, but the sheer size of the company has made it seem like a very business centered atmosphere. Starting pay is ok, but given that they are located in San Diego, it's not enough to sustain an individual or a family due to the high cost of living in san Diego. Will need to keep up with the rate of inflation if they are to continue to attract top level talent
Pros
Remote work, great co-workers, managers
Cons
No yearly bonuses, benefits are decent at best
Not a great place to work
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDDecember 27, 2018
The CMA ITC is chaotic, terrible management when there is management at all. Senior managers have no idea what goes on and how the expected workload is unachievable. Extremely high turnover rate. Recently the newly hired receive a boost in base pay, while the seasoned personnel did not. Work from home was oromised, but never delivered. Overall employee moral is the worst of any place I have ever worked. When LabCorp purchased Covance years ago, it has been a downward spiral from there. If u just want the experience of patient assistance programs and health insurance reimbursement...it's a good place to learn and then move on to the competitors that way much better. Covance is basically a trainer for those looking to enter the field. Don't take it seriously as a career.
Pros
Free coffee and free parking
Fine clinical researh organization.
Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 21, 2018
Covance is a fine company, with many fields available to enter into allowing varied options to grow fully within the company, and wlling to offer employees the abiliy to learn a new role.
Interesting place to work for
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 20, 2018
You have to learn alot of information and processes. They change the processes often. It is difficult to get answers to questions. Some associates and supervisors give lots of attitude when you ask too many questions.
Pros
great pay
Cons
attitude of upper level employees
Same as everywhere else
Operations (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 19, 2018
Not much different than any other company. The company runs on the "two year plan" . See what happens if you hit your numbers. Now cutting costs ……...
Good
Operations/Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJDecember 19, 2018
most enjoyable part at Covance was learning about the industry and processes. The coworkers were fantastic and worked well in a team environment. Not much opportunity to move up.
Not the greatest company to work for
QC Specialist (Former Employee) –  West Trenton, NJDecember 18, 2018
Working for Covance was not the best experience. The site I worked for closed and the employees were left scrambling to find jobs. Management did their best to take the stab out our wounds but it came as a surprise for all. There weren't any performance reviews and employee recognition.Thought the transition to the nearest covance facility would be easy but not so much.
Would not recommend working here.
Pros
Having a job
Cons
no accountability or employee recognition or empathy to employees
Busy and productive
Lead Scientist, Flow Cytometry (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 16, 2018
Every day something to resolve. Fast paced, less resources so never ending work.
Cafeteria in location
My department is growing
Management can do better job for career development
Great people but terrible work-life balance
Study Director (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 15, 2018
Very busy and understaffed. Employees do not feel appreciated, but he people are hard working and wonderful to work with. Lots of opportunities to learn about drug development
Entry level experience, if you have no other choice.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 14, 2018
Covance is a science assembly-line whose unspoken policy is to intentionally burn-out analysts by overworking them, thereby keeping wages suppressed via constant turnover of employees.

Management does little to nothing while snacking in air conditioned offices while analysts are routinely worked 50-60+ hrs a week all year round for well below market average compensation.

The hardest part of the job is they tell you 8 hour shifts, but its always 10-14hrs.

If you're very self motivated, you can learn valuable skills at Covance. However, nobody is going to bother teaching you anything they're not directly ordered to teach you. Mentorship is nonexistent. You can get your foot in the door at Covance, but you might as well leave it in the door so you can exit quickly.
Pros
You get a $3 voucher for the company cafeteria after working there a year, but the cafeteria closes before your shift starts, 21days PTO was nice, but its hard to schedule it sometimes and what you don't use by X date you are not compensated for, and that X date gets earlier every year.
Cons
Toxic environment. Management advances by backstabbing/betrayal. Your direct peers are good people, but its more of a "we're all going through a bad experience" sort of comraderie.
Intern
IT Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 13, 2018
Maybe I could attribute it to having worked as an intern, but I sure avoided applying to this place after I earned my degree. Some of the people I worked with were aggressive and nosey. Meanwhile, I developed a macro-based Excel application for the company, that created PivotCharts for analytics purposes - and I realized a year later that I could have just used the "refresh data" button at the top of Excel. How is it that my 23-year-old self presented this to executive and directors, and no one caught on to how one could have simply pressed "refresh data". I am appalled by it. That being said, the work environment is very nice, and I enjoyed going into work because of that.
Pros
flexibility work schedule, aesthetic work environment
Cons
secretive management, petty coworkers
Covance is now owned by LabCorp
Sr Mgr - I.T. Ops, Incident Management (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 11, 2018
Clinical research holds the promise of life-changing treatments, medical breakthroughs, and better health for all. That's why LabCorp's clinical research division, Covance, has been passionately conducting research for more than 35 years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Covance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight