Covance Employee Reviews

It was a friendly and supportive enviroment for contractors.
Senior CRA (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 2, 2018
The job was a 6 month contract job. I was placed there by an agency. I did not receive any benefits but was compensated financially to cover the benefits.
Pros
Flexible schedule, work from home, good hourly rate
Cons
Short contract, no job security
Great Company
Senior Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Dane County, WIFebruary 1, 2018
The structure at Covance was superb and I liked how the Clinical departments were structured. The management was good, but the culture was even better.
Pros
Structure
Cons
work/life balance and Management support
My Experience working at Covance
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 30, 2018
It is very stressful to work in Covance call center because you are always afraid you going to loose your job the next day. Management is horrible, they only care about how many cases you can work on a day and don't care about how they can keep their employees. Believe it or not but it is truth, on average Covance terminates 1-3 employees a day. For example, I was in a fatal car crashed and was in the hospital for a day and the doctor gave me a note to gave it Covance HR but they decline the note and gave me an occurrence because I did not showed up to work the day of my car crashed. An occurence at Covance is a point when you show up to work one or more minutes late or call in sick. For example, you get a half an occurence when you are one or two minutes late to work and you get a 1 point occurrence when you don't make it to work. Whenever, your occurence reached 10 points they write you up. I was disappointed with Covance because they fired one of my coworkers and he was really great with the patients . Overall, if this is your first job out of college go for it to get the experience but don't stay more than 2 years. Covance benefits package is also great too. Your first day of employment the company gives you 21 days of PTO
Pros
Free gym and a lot of other discounts
Cons
Sitting for over 8 hours. You have to changed your status to personal mode when you use the restroom, HR is always monitoring your steps
Solid place to work
Desktop Publisher II / Investigator Manual Trainer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 26, 2018
At Covance you have the ability to advance your career at your own pace. If you are a hard worker and don't mind sitting in a cube all day every day, you can really excel here. Once you are in you can move around to find the right fit.
Good Place to work
Service Now Developer (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 19, 2018
Enjoyed working in Covance and had very good team
Everyone like family loved working with them and good management and good understandings between teamates.
Great Company
Field Reimbursement Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 11, 2018
Wonderfull work place. Fun people - good managers. Support work environment. Transparent with overall company goals and future plans. Good benefits.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
Low job security
N/a
Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDJanuary 9, 2018
The company at whole never really looked at its employees to see why they had such a high attrition rate. The training left a lot to be desired, it set an individual up for failure.
Lack of training and opportunities for advancement.
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 7, 2018
A lot of family members and good friends in managerial roles, thus creating a gridlock on opportunities (Covance Indy location). If you're looking for employment where training, promotion and internal advancement are the cornerstones of a company's success; this is not the place, unless your family or reeaally good friends with someone in management!
Pros
Ability to work remotely & benefits
Cons
No diversity in upper management (minorities/gender).
Don't do it
Senior Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJJanuary 3, 2018
I took this job because of a sign-on bonus. Take my advice, no amount of money is worth working here.

I did work with some nice people and interesting projects.

The bidding process was a joke. The time allowed for tasks were never enough to complete the task.
Fun Environment
Financial Assistance Counselor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 31, 2017
Its a nice place to work. Great company to work for. The work is tough and fast paced but they do a great job getting you the training you need to complete your task.
Relaxed but high stress work environment
Analytical Chemist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 31, 2017
Very relaxed to work there: hours are flexible, no dress code, tons of PTO.
They expect you to work a lot to meet deadlines and people burn out quickly.
The y have trouble keeping people in jobs for long periods of time so there is a lot of sink or swim with new people constantly coming in.
Upper management couldn't care less about you, middle management is extremely hit or miss, some really good managers and some really bad ones.
Pros
Lots of PTO, Room for advancement, lots of overtime
Cons
Management is hit or miss, lots of overtime, benefits are on the way out
I feel the company is par for the industry
Clinical Research Associate II (Current Employee) –  Princeton, NJDecember 29, 2017
I feel that it is the same for most large CROs. There are always lots of upper management issues but most times it is because it trickles down from the sponsor. But my experience was positive, I have a great line manager. The only negative experience has been the micromanaging sponsor.
poor management
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 26, 2017
Poor management at the time I left. They eliminated my position and were not very helpful with re-training or offering a different role in the company.
Good start to my career
Clinical Studies Associate (contract) (Former Employee) –  Radnor, PADecember 21, 2017
This company was a good start for my career. I learned a lot and worked with good people. The company was good with good benefits and would go back again.
unappreiciated
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 19, 2017
management no people skills,no training,no employee appreciation and will work you like a slave if you let them. Working holidays for no reason other than greed
Pros
money
Cons
standing up, no advancement unless you are liked
Great Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 17, 2017
Great job, great benefits. Cordial employees. Flexiable schedule and the supervisors are very understanding with personal issues outside of the work place.
Okay place to start career but not good long term
Clinical Experience (Current Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 13, 2017
A typical day consists of data reviews, corresponding with management, vendors, and sponsors. Work load has peaks and valleys they can really gear up and depending on the team some can make this very unpleasant. When I first started it appeared there were eyes everywhere from management. This place can have a big brother quality while wearing a smile and trading pleasantries. They almost appear to be running tests some litteral tests you may take and never get the results. Other tests are designed more to gauge your responses to dealing with a gray area. Nothing is well defined depending on the project and team members, some are better than others communicating but as a whole communication is horrible in this company. Things change all the time without notice in this environment. The employee atmosphere is very clicky and like some of the other reviewers said it's like high school. There is rampant gossip, pettiness, and in teams and out teams. I have seen them boot out those they don't like. Not cool or professional. The organization of the company changes almost monthly with new upper management structures - very weird. I have noticed very subtle language from some management but full of emotional manipulation. Be careful how much you reveal of yourself.
There are some pros like working from home if your in a position able to do it and somewhat relaxed atmosphere.

The main take a ways are to be alert, know that things change frequently and not all are in your favor despite what they say, benefits and pay are okay but you can probably do better elsewhere or don't accept
  more... the first offer given to you because it will most likely be low, clicks are highschoolish and un-avoidable, your personal privacy may be trampled on and management can suck or be an out right joke all together.

Would only recommend for a starting job not long term.
Pros
Work from home flexibility, good PTO, some benefits are decent
Cons
Big brother atmosphere, clicky co-workers, micromanagement
If you want to have no life, and work yourself silly, go to Covance.
Manager - Clinical Data (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJDecember 13, 2017
The WORST job I have ever had by far. The pace was impossible to maintain, and within ONE month, I had traveled to meetings in 4 continents (not countries... CONTINENTS). I was constantly overworked and exhausted. It was almost as if they expected you to be in more than one place at a time, which is not sustainable by any means.

However, because you have to work with multiple Sponsor companies, I learned more about cultures, communication, and business processes than at any other job. You just need to keep your eyes and ears open and glean as much information at a time as you can. I had to find a silver lining somewhere in that nightmare of a company!!!
nice friendly fast pace to work
Clinical Research Associate III (Current Employee) –  CADecember 1, 2017
A very good place to work. Teams are always on tasks, data entry and client are monitored according to policy and a good place to work and learn along.
Was great at first
Program Specialist II (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2017
Nothing positive to say....there are cliques all over the place and if your not one to gossip or get involved in the "high school" drama then you won't be a good fit. Don't waste your time....

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Covance. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight