Covenant Retirement Communities Employee Reviews

Nice place to work
Certified Nurses Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, IL 60510July 19, 2018
I enjoyed working at Holmstad. The nurses and the coworkers were very nice. I was a CNA and I worked 3 days a week. Every day I went in we were short. I am not exaggerating. Every single day. I had 10 to 13 residents to care for every day I worked. I had at least 2 showers to give every day I worked. I complained constantly about us always being short. They said they were doing all they could trying to hire new staff. It was very difficult to give the best care to the residents when you had 10 to 13 to care for every day. You ran up and down the halls. You had to rush through care. It was extremely difficult.
Pros
great nurses, great coworkers, clean facility
Cons
always short staffed
Lack of Senior Leadership/Communication/Mission and Vision
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 7, 2018
There is a fundamental lack of leadership and guidance throughout the organization. Operational initiatives tend to die out with no strategic planning!
Pros
Strong resident population
Cons
Top Heavy Leadership - Rarely visit campus with any meaningful objectives.
it’s always a happy place if you have the right attitude
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILApril 30, 2018
the healthcare field can be difficult on family life but covenant village offers 12 hr shifts which can be balanced with family life, I enjoy my co workers and all of my residents. Recent management change in the past 6 months had made things better in my opinion, i love my job and love the company i am working for dont plan on leaving anytime soon
Pros
working with the residents, they become your family
Cons
cant think of any now
Quite and collaborative work place
National Director of Facilities Management (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILApril 22, 2018
I love what I do everyday. I know I make a difference. I can not ask for a better manager he is very supportive. I learn something new every day. I like managing multi-site and traveling for business.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
slow-pace
I enjoyed it overall
RN (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILApril 20, 2018
This facility was my first job as a CNA LPN RN and Supervisor. I overall enjoyed working here mostly because of the co-works and residents. I felt it was a fine experience for new nurses and wonderful for retired nurses who want to make a little extra cash. Some very knowledgeable kind caring and hard working people worked there. Some were let go..but for good reasons and people were confronted if they were not doing a good job. I feel this facility had high expectations for their residents. It may not be super exciting for new nurses but you could really make connections with residents and family members. Their facility is well known and on a really pretty campus. All staff: from kitchen, to activities, to the beauty shop really try hard for the residents.
Pros
Coworkers, connections w residents, pay, some nurse supervisors, pretty campus, most of the residents seemed to like the food and the facility.
Cons
It was difficult to keep management (don, adon), HR- it just felt like i was an inconvenience to them
Poor management across the board and cut throat, no value for the hard workers!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Batavia, ILApril 18, 2018
I totally loved working for my residents! Working here became hard with the staff calling off all the time. Workers who worked hard were worked harder and never appreciated. Favoritism among management and certain staff members that were able to get away with any and everything. Executive Director would walk right past you as if you didn’t exist. Very poor morale. if you are not in the clique...trust me your day is coming.
Pros
The wonderful residents
Cons
Poor management
Overall Experience
Facilities Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mercer Island, WASeptember 1, 2017
Very productive daily
to be patient with people and attentive to details
Management is encouraging
very well balanced -supportive
Not enough time in the day to finish work
interactions with resident and staff
Pros
Benefits and Culture
Cons
Pay and work load
Very competitive industry
Facility Management Director (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILJune 5, 2017
Typical day for FM director is never the same. No two days in a row are identical. Contractor over site, staff over site and resident satisfaction different every day. Competitive in the sale industry too.
Pros
Majority of staff and residents are great
Cons
Recent turnover in upper mngt not productive and experienced
Sodexo Senior Living
Regional Dining Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 5, 2017
I joined a phenomenal and growing segment at an unique time. Serving residents and impact the Quality of Life of others is an rewarding feeling and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything in the wold.
Pros
Travel the US serving residents
Cons
Time away from family
not the worst far from the best
working with seniors (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 13, 2017
the pay is terrible and people need to live the management blame the lower staff for problems that wouldn't occur if they took care of them correctly the first time around. The residents pay a lot of money and the lodgings in my opinion are just ok
Pros
not to many except to be able to work with seniors
Cons
not to many except to be able to work with seniors
Sodexo
Regional Dining Director (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2017
Working with Sodexo has been an outstanding experience. Sodexo is a company that embraces diversity and inclusion. Sodexo has afforded me a number of career opportunities.
good job
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Carol Stream, IL 60188August 24, 2016
good job friendly people but management sucks, gary dean is the supervisor and he will do anything to save his job because his boss bob laserotti has his back no matter what.
Good focus on residents, needs a bit of work on management-line staff relationship
Manager (Current Employee) –  Batavia, ILJune 14, 2016
There is a good mix of people who work very hard and love their job, serving the residents, and those that just show up for the check. Management in general works very well together, but could benefit from more interaction/involvement with non-management staff.
Was a great place but the culture has changed
Network Infrastructure Engineer (Current Employee) –  Skokie, ILApril 22, 2016
I honestly loved this place up until the last few months. This was a place where you did a lot of work have great communication with the team and management, but that is no longer the case. It has become more of a corporate environment, lots of micromanagement and the and no true transparency. It has become very uncomfortable to work here.
Pros
They feed you a lot
Cons
No room for growth
values not practiced
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago MetroSeptember 12, 2015
CRC Skokie leadership is prideful and intellectually dishonest. The core values sound good but are not authentically followed, especially by top leaders. I was drawn there as they promoted their Good To Great efforts only to find a lack of authenticity and sincerity.

Finding fault and who to blame is their SOP rather than seek root cause corrective strategies and address them with well thought out tactics.
Pros
Campus cultures are for the most part great.
Cons
Very top down, they coerce unreasonable forecastes, mandate reductions causing poor resident sat.
Productive fun work place
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJuly 29, 2015
Pleasant working environment
Fun and friendly staff
Great opportunities of growth in company
Staff willing to work with school schedule
Always available hours to take
Open door policy, workplace is not as stressful and everybody works as a team
Charge Nurse (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILJanuary 1, 2015
Delivers very good nursing care, still 5 star Medicare approved skilled nursing facility, staff is very compassionate. Family feel while at work.
Pros
Lunch at less than 5 dollars! Flexible change of scheds as long as somebody can cover.
Cons
Staffing
part time charge nurse night shift
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, CA Northbrook IL 1980/85September 18, 2014
worked in Mt Miquel in California moved back to Illinois in 1985.
transfered to Brandel Northbrook Illinois . Both are part of Covenant Village Community system. A large retirement community
I worked in the skilled facility
Pros
worked on call and later partime
Cons
far from home
Great learning experience with limited opportunity for advancement
Sales & Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Batavia, ILMarch 30, 2014
Working to increase the occupancy of our retirement community through promotional events, public relations & community outreach, advertising & social media, and various other sales techniques. I gained valuable experience in event planning and coordinating multiple marketing efforts simultaneously. Working as the assistant, I learned to support and adapt to working with different personalities to effectively collaborate and accomplish our goals as a team.
The hardest part of this job is being content with assistant duties, I am looking for a position that I can take on new challenges and be proud of my work. The most enjoyable parts of my job are when I have opportunities to use my creativity, take on new tasks, and successfully complete projects from start to finish.
Pros
Nice people, helping seniors, fun product to market
Cons
Lacking opportunity for growth
Decent work place for a high school job
Dining Services-Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Batavia, ILFebruary 4, 2014
It's a great place for teenagers to get their first job. I have learned how to become a hard worker. The management is below par, and communication is most of the time: poor.
Coworker/staff can be lazy and have to be told to do tasks half the time. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people.
Pros
Free dinner, Good hours
Cons
repetitive, minimum wage