Cox Petroleum Transport Employee Reviews

minimun wage for mechanics
Fleet Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 13, 2018
Work hard and watch everyone else play on there phones, Management has problems, Wouldn't recommend anyone to go there if you want to advance, A mechanic with 20+ years is only paid minimum wage with no extra pay for a class a license, 5 years with no raise
Pros
Cons
Bad management
Positive environment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 11, 2018
The owners are good people and they truly care about all the employees. Management respects the owners because the owners respect them. You are soley responsible for your attitude. If you want your work environment positive, then be happy. If you are a complainer, you'll never be happy anywhere.
Like it so far
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 8, 2018
I really enjoy it here. Everyone is very kind, helpful, and personable. Going in, they were very understanding of my transition into the company and stood by everything they told me. It is very fast-paced and attention to detail is important, but they have a good process for training people and there are plenty of people around to ask for help. Benefits are good and the insurance offers many cool incentives for living healthy. Management is very supportive and show their appreciation when you work hard
Pros
Benefits, good pay, good environment
Family Owned
Fuel Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 11, 2018
I had a good experience work here, but I needed weekends off and my current employer had that available to me otherwise I would still be with Cox Petroleum.
Dictatorship
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAFebruary 10, 2018
The management is harsh & not your fellow friend, or partner... Other fellow drivers & even the machanics it’s nothing like a family working together it’s just harsh & no love shown. No cell phone or headset in cab & They will fire you the very first time you try to use a headset exedra... Even if dispatch calls you cannot answer while driving.... In cab camera will film you if you hit a bump or step on the brakes a little hard & set off the sensor
Pros
Okay Pay
Cons
Horrible Place Stay Away
One of the Best companies to work for
Fuel truck driver (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 21, 2017
This is a great company to work for. Lots of hours are available.
Supervisor and management were very good and fair -- we even had quarterly Free lunches/Safety meetings at restaurants, all paid by Cox.

Very good company. Usually you come in and do night shifts -- but everything is negotiable.

If you are willing to work hard you can succeed at Cox.

Get the job done and they leave you alone.

Very good company to work for.
Pros
High pay. Great equipment; team atmosphere.
Cons
Sometimes 12-14 hour shifts; usually 10-11 hour shifts for 5 days; 2 off
Ok place to work
Transport Driver (Current Employee) –  Colton, CAMay 20, 2017
It's a cool place to work . They let you work the hrs you want . And this company let's you succeed and if you like to work you'll make money. The only thing the I don't like its that The medical benefits are too high montly if you got your family on it .
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Work weekends
Great pay, extremely stressful environment
Fuel Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 24, 2017
A typical workday is 11-12 hours, but they believe they own you for 16 so go in prepared to work 16 every day. Drivers typically deliver an average of 4 loads per day. Some days you will deliver 2 or 3 longer loads, some days 5 or 6 in town. Drivers are often parked with no notice when the company losses contracts or orders are slow. Can be parked multiple days per week. When you work, the pay is very good. Lots of safety rules and regulations, but there is unspoken pressure not to follow them if it takes any extra time.

Working at Cox, I have learned that delivering fuel can be a good job, and most fuel delivery companies are actually safety oriented and don't just pay it lip service like Cox does. I also learned that networking with other drivers is a really good thing for future jobs.

Management will push and push and push to get more out of you. Management is highly concerned about every penny, to the extent that you cannot take most of your legally required breaks and you will not be paid in lieu of breaks. If you are tired, management will tell you to pull over and take a nap, and then they will start tracking your truck and flag you for termination at the first opportunity. Ownership is changing hands in 2017. Competition between 2 VP's to take it over is fierce and drivers are caught in that battle and the drivers lose.

Workplace culture is very stressful. You put your life on the line every day and you will not be thanked or appreciated. The training is good though. If you can get hired on and get trained here, you can take that training anywhere. Just don't
  more... get lulled in to staying. Absolutely no cell phone use. It must be off at all times. Even if they tell you to call them, DON'T. Use the onboard computer system for everything. Drivers have been fired for having an earbud visible and for answering calls from dispatch or management. DON'T DO IT!

Hardest part of the job is seeing safety violations, knowing what the proper procedures are to address it and being pressured to deliver the load outside of those safe procedures, knowing that any issues or violations will come down on your head, not theirs. Another hard part of the job is seeing so many opportunities for the company to improve and having absolutely no voice. It's a "shut up and do your job, stupid" environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is anything that could be done without having any contact with management or dispatchers. The second most enjoyable part of working at Cox is when you find your next job.

$73,000 advertised is possible if you have no family and no social life.
Pros
Good pay, good training
Cons
Stress, lipservice to safety
Cox Life
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 10, 2016
Typical days at worked involved 12+ hours of driving a day. When they lose drivers they switch your schedule to accommodate their needs. Management is not all the great but as long as you do your job you shall be ok. The hardest part of my job as sacrificing my weekends and family time due to the company demands.
horrible place to work
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Cudahy, CASeptember 5, 2016
This place will work you like no tomorrow, be ready to not have a life outside of work due to 12-15 hours of work and NO OVERTIME; Don't know how that is legal and their getting away with it. I worked out of the Cudahy office and did 6-7 loads a day. Start time was 2am and worked till 4:30-5pm. Got home at 6pm and did not have any family time. Had to go to bed at 6-7pm to be up at 1am and be at work at 2am. STAY AWAY!!!!!!
Pros
Cons
Just an overall bad company to work for
Decent Place to Work
Fleet Mechanic - Diesel & Tanker (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 10, 2016
The work environment is good. The pay for the job that you are doing is fair. The company provides the ability to learn the things that you might not know and provides you the ability to grow within the company and advance your career if you so choose.
Good customer base. Not a bad company , but has issues
driver (Former Employee) –  Los AngelesSeptember 2, 2015
Very micro managed. Very big on truck safety, the budget is unlimited for that. but there is no budget for driver safety. The driver is the scapegoat for just about everything. But good customer base, consistent work
Workplace
Payroll/ Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJune 3, 2015
I handle all aspect of payroll for over 350 employees. I had to have everything complete and ready to transferred in 7 days. Enjoyed all the worked involved just did not have time to socialize with co-workers. All co-workers was very helpful and friendly.
Pros
great work place
Cons
healthcare
Terrible company!!!!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fresno,caDecember 19, 2014
This is absolutely the worst company I have ever worked for! they have some severe management problems! I guess it's a good place to get some tanker experience and then go somewhere else. as soon as possible but it's definitely no good for the long term!!
Pros
N/a
Very Productive, Answering phones
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJuly 13, 2014
Typical day at work, go through my trucks make sure everyone is on using Total Mail Viewer, Answering Phones, Filling, Making Gas orders for Circle K, Jaco, Arco, Valero, some Chevron, USA, and Kroger. Entering new stations when needed, run through trucks consistently to ensure drivers are on track. Plan drivers on their daily schedules using Fuel Dispatch. I enjoy working with my co-workers everyone is very helpful when we need it. Were always learning something different. Hardest part is probably not being able to help either one of your drivers or a customer because of being tied up on a phone call weather it be for an emergency or changes on schedules.
Productive and professional workplace
Fuel Dispatcher/Planner (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 4, 2013
I enjoyed my work environment. I have learned a lot at this company.
Terrible.At the bottom with Evans Dedicated and Pacific Tank Lines
Former driver (Former Employee) –  VernonJanuary 30, 2013
Pros
a job
Cons
pay and insurance.no o.t
Terrible.At the bottom with Evans Dedicated and Pacific Tank Lines
Former driver (Former Employee) –  VernonJanuary 30, 2013
Liar.This is actually one of the worst companies to work for.Its the JB Hunt of tanker drivers.The pay is only 19 bucks an hour straight time-no O.T,and the insurance is 1200 per month for you and your family.They work you like a dog.7 loads a night.Stay away!!!!!
Pros
a job
Cons
pay and insurance.no o.t
great place to work
Class A Driver (Fuel Tanker) (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAApril 17, 2012
Great place to work.. nice equipment, I liked the rotating schedule, management was good too