Cracker Barrel Employee Reviews

42.3K
31.8K
Found 7,299 reviews matching the search See all 7,308 reviews
Featured review
Cracker Barrel selected this as a representative review
Cracker Barrel
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXAugust 18, 2018
Cracker Barrel has provided an excellent part time position that pays well and provides good benefits for a part time position . Also very flexible hours and work schedule for students and were willing to transfer me around Texas. If you are a good employee that is willing to work they will work with you and your schedule.
Pros
flexible hours and employee discounts. Good workplace culture.
Cons
few breaks and sometimes limited hours.
Stressful but pays well
Server (Current Employee) –  McDonough, GASeptember 17, 2018
Cracker Barrel is not for the faint of heart. I have learned that old people suck at tipping and most of them are rude. With any job there are good days and bad days. You make good friends and family while you are there. I just realized customer service is not for me. A typical day at work includes a hoard of people at the door and $100 in your pocket at the end of a shift if you did well. The hardest part of the job is trying to get everything done in a calm manner because you have so many people to serve and so much money to make. The most enjoyable part of the job is leaving. Forever.
Pros
discounts, flexibility with schedule
Cons
short breaks, uniform
Serving Breakfast, lunch and Dinner
Associate Manager/ Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDSeptember 17, 2018
We would serve breakfast, lunch and Dinner. We would get new employee that would have to do a 1 month training requirement. You was promoted on how well you new each level. You received a star for each of the four levels.
Pros
learning how to cook the food fast ( short cut)
Cons
Having over an hour waiting list to eat...
Best job I've had.
Server (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs, ARSeptember 17, 2018
They were really to the point which is a good thing (for me anyways). I loved the job and everything about it. However due to my personal life falling apart I wasn't able to keep the job. I highly recommend working here.
Pros
Max 5 hour shifts if you're a minor. You get to keep all of your tips.
Cons
I can't say anything about the health care, 401k etc because I was underage and it didn't apply to me.
Interesting environment.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawton, OKSeptember 17, 2018
Some admin
Guest and staff interaction
Try to impart a buy-in attitude
Not limited to Cracker Barrel, the service industry is challenged by many individuals that have an "I'm entitled attitude", both customers and staff.
Pros
Retail discount
Cons
Schedule
Enjoy working here
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCSeptember 17, 2018
I have really enjoy working here. I have made life long friendships over the last 14 years. I love meeting new people everyday, and also seeing my regular guest everyday. I try my best to lead by that example every single day. Even though the pay is not great, and hours maybe not be ideal, I do love my job.
Pros
meeting new people, and having regular guest everyday, friendships
Cons
slow periods, not enough hours, weekend work
Open
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Germantown, WISeptember 17, 2018
Prepping and preparing food for customers

· Dish washing and maintaining a clean area

· Stocking inventory

I started off on fries and worked my way to the grill
Its good for a first job but doesn't do much to benifit you.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Tewksbury, MASeptember 17, 2018
This job is good for a first time job and for people looking for experience but I wouldn't stay there much longer after i got experience. Id say after some time there look for something that has a higher status.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Pay
I was a dishwasher, busser
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Brighton, MISeptember 17, 2018
It was good and i like thier food,people was good,a awesome store Let's was very good and Managers OK and everyday was on people were nice and all night to work there again
Pros
Awesome food
Cons
People is good
Great for students
Server (Current Employee) –  Kingsland, GASeptember 17, 2018
Not so great for people that need to provide significant income unless you've been there for 5 years or more. Shifts are few and far between and when you get a shift, the waitresses are cutthroat to get the tips.
Fun place to work at times very family oriented
Waitress/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 16, 2018
I've been employed with the company for years. The staff are like family. The atmosphere is relaxing at times but if you've worked there for years the same routine can be one boring for some.
Pros
Ethics within this company are outstanding
Cons
Customers perception can hurt one's service.
Great Co-workers
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Waynesboro, VASeptember 16, 2018
I worked part-time. Flexible time was difficult, most of the team was great to work with. Management wasn't the best I've experienced, but was fair.

A typical day at work - no typical days

I learned a great deal about cooking and food preparation
Friendly staff
Server (Current Employee) –  Florence, ALSeptember 16, 2018
Friendly staff to work with. Gets the food out steady and correct. Helpful when you need help. Good customer satisfaction. Great sales in retail with seasonal products.
Great place to work. Just does not pay enough.
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tiffany Springs, I29 near the airportSeptember 16, 2018
A fun place to work with unique merchandise. Busy days go fast and fulfilling. Slow days gives time to become familiar with new merchandise and check for outdated food items. Great retail mgr and most employees work well as a team. Being near the airport there is a wide variety of people to interact with which adds to the fun.
Pros
Good discount and half priced meals when you work.
Cons
No breaks, no health care.
about average workplace
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Shawnee, OKSeptember 16, 2018
This job was about average and was nothing special to me. The manager was rude and when giving my 2 week notice she kept me in the system for 3-4 more months.
Your moving constantly to get done on time
Night Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cold Sprgs-Highland Hts, KYSeptember 16, 2018
Basically you had to wait at the front door till closing and all customers to leave then you do the restrooms the retail area then dinning then you get to do the back what you do back there is scrub the floors and clean the grease caps every other day move the machines to clean behind them put garbage bags in the cans clean the dust pans make sanitize water oh right this is all done by 5am then sweep the parking lot change the bag in cans then check with management see if your done then click out this done by your self
Cons
Not enough time or people
Server (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, TNSeptember 15, 2018
Servers get two to four tables depending on the time of day. Servers have side work and roll silverware. The money is fair. I hear days is better than night. I work at night.
Pros
shift hours
Cons
silverware
Very quick paced, fun place to work
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Henrietta, NYSeptember 15, 2018
Cracker Barrel is one of the best places I’ve worked, the staff is amazing and the managers actually connect with you. Its an amazing work environment.
Productive Place
Host (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 15, 2018
A day as a host at cracker barrel
Depending on the time you work, In the mornings on weekdays pretty decent
afternoon after 4 on weekday Dinner rush they under staff during this time when two people should be working
the weekends are always busy.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Short Breaks
its ok
Cracker Barrel Server (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, INSeptember 14, 2018
The job is very fast pace and challenging. If you do a good job you get paid very well though. Some of the people you may work with might not be that friendly or that fun to work with.
Pros
you make good money on weekends
Cons
employees can be mean/bad
Fast paced, teamwork oriented environment.
server/prep (Current Employee) –  Staunton, VASeptember 14, 2018
Usually pretty busy which makes it easy to make good tips. Their is supposed to be good teamwork, but lately it's lacking in that regard. so it has been stressful in that regard. easy to always stay busy because there is always something that needs cleaned.
Pros
Fast, and easy money
Cons
If teamwork isn't in play it's very stressful, also customer service.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cracker Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

72out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Cracker Barrel.

Powered by Comparably