Cracker Barrel Employee Reviews

Found 7,918 reviews matching the search See all 7,926 reviews
Featured review
Cracker Barrel selected this as a representative review
Cracker barrel is a blast!!!!!
Cracker Barrel Server (Current Employee) –  Bradley, ILNovember 5, 2018
Its a nice place to work shifts are short. Customers are nice. There is a lot of teamwork that fosters a fun work environment.Management treats employees fair and honest.
Horrible managers
cook (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJanuary 21, 2019
Got hired as a cook and told details about the position since thats what i'd be doing. Tried to train me at training to be a dishwasher,then when i confronted them they said they only need dishwashers at the moment. Shady place with good pay and even more untrustworthy managers. Work at ur own risk here, shame i have to look at cracker barrel in a different light now.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Loser managers
I loved it
Prep Cook/Cook/server (Former Employee) –  Vicksburg, MSJanuary 21, 2019
My time at crackerbarrel was excellent. I enjoyed my managers and fellow team members. I was eager to get to wok and never wanted to leave. Due to personal reasons i had to leave but intend on returning. I miss my job and cant wait to return.
Lifetime friends met here
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJanuary 21, 2019
Cracker Barrel is a very friendly and family oriented environment. I met a lot of people that I am still friends with today. I would recommend everyone to give cracker barrel a try throughout their college experience. Even though I had some rude customers I never let that get me down and out because the work environment was so uplifting.
Retail is fun but can be slow
Retail Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lavale, MDJanuary 21, 2019
I love Cracker Barrel but the income is low and I have very high bills that it’s hard for me to make so I need another job so I can make my bills. Paychecks are not the best I have high bills and I need them payed but I struggle with that because my checks are very low
Pros
Friends
Cons
Paychecks are not the greatest
Beneficial
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Pennsville, NJJanuary 21, 2019
My first customer service position, and was well worth it. Cracker Barrel taught me how to work with people at high paced volumes. Perfect first job, as it teaches you how to work with public along with assisting your co workers.
poor managment
Server (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 21, 2019
the work at cracker barrel wasn't hard but the management was the worst part the management treated the staff like children and always would keep them under close watch as if wanting to fire them
fun
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLJanuary 21, 2019
was a great job to get into , was introduced to the basics of being a line cook , also experienced serving for the fist time , company offered benefits slike healthcare and vacations.
lively
Hostess/Busser (Former Employee) –  Harrison, OHJanuary 21, 2019
Cracker Barrel was very quick paced but lively and I worked with many great people. The only issue with Cracker Barrel is there are so many people working there that you get very few hours.
Pros
Discounts, breaks, free beverages
Cons
Lack of hours
Good pay, bad management
Backup Cook (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJanuary 21, 2019
Incompetent management. Minimal on-the-job training. Poor communication. Always understaffed, and you'll be overloaded with work and then get in trouble for not finishing it all.
Pros
Good pay, easy to get raises
Cons
No free food, limited training, super stressful, poor management
Greatness
server/server trainer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 20, 2019
Wonderful atmosphere to bring the family to enjoy some of the best scratch made feel-good cooking you've ever eaten. Also an amazing company to work for
Great people interacting.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Payne, ALJanuary 20, 2019
Very poor management. Manager in retail is unbeileiveble rude to her employees. Coworkers act as if they’re better. GM is very very sweet. He assisted me in everything I needed with no questions asked
Not the worst company I've worked for...
Server Trainer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOJanuary 19, 2019
The company as a whole is still a pretty decent company--offering pretty good food at a (mostly) great price. But having worked for the company for nearly 14 years, I have seen changes that have not necessarily been for the better--primarily with regards to employees. It's not that Cracker Barrel treats its employees poorly--it just doesn't really do anything to make Cracker Barrel feel like a company that actually cares. Benefits are not that great, and it can be very frustrating having to "prove" eligibility for benefits every year (since benefits are based on full-time employment, and each year, employees have to hit a certain number of hours to reach that full-time level). In addition, some of the perks the company offered to employees have gradually been taken away (such as funding for a Christmas party, giving end-of-the-year Cracker Barrel gift card bonuses to all employees, and even the advantages of "leveling up" in the PAR system have been rendered null). I have not worked as a server full-time at other restaurants, so it is difficult to make any comparisons. But even with what few perks I feel I have left (vacation pay and pretty nice gift options at every 5-year anniversary mark), it is not worth it to me to stay with the company, especially since I am not interested in management. It has helped me pay bills, but only barely, and I need better than just that.
Great job under the right management
Shift Leader/Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INJanuary 19, 2019
When certain managers are on the shift everything can go perfectly under the busiest of conditions. But when you have other less skilled managers that freak out under stress, things go downhill very quickly. Basically the only recommendation i have for management is that your employees for the most part are not incompetent, don't treat them like they are. Also for the most part your employees know how to do their job, don't start interfering with their work or telling them what to do unless they ask for your help or guidance.
Pros
50% off meals, great employee culture
Cons
Bad management, low hours
The Team Member
Server (Former Employee) –  Caseyville, ILJanuary 19, 2019
The Team Member staff was nice people but the management was so poor and treated us all different because of our skin we barely got hours we barely had tables they had they pick and choose and that place . As soon as I found me another job I got out of there that job was so stressful and I'm taken care of two kids barley making 200 every week.
It was great
Host/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 19, 2019
It would get really busy on a typical day at work but everyone was friendly and a great environment to work here. They are very flexible and will work with your hours.
Fun Family Place
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALJanuary 19, 2019
I learned a lot while working here. I had never worked for a company that was so big and had so many workers. At first it was just a huge shocker. After a good week of being trained physically and electronically I exceeded and enjoyed my job every day.
Pros
Half off on food, everyone puts a smile on your face, benefits, ability to get hours.
Cons
No break, no free food, management not being a team.
fast paced work environment
host /busser/ dish washer (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJanuary 19, 2019
it was very stressful and had many issues with certain managers that is agreed upon through the store but the other workers are very pleasant. but the pay is good and so is the food.
Fun workplace
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Morganton, NCJanuary 18, 2019
I love working at craxker barrel. Everybody is always very nice and helpful with any questions you have. Job training is thorough and I feel very confident with my current server skills.
Pros
Half off meals
Cons
Short breaks
Busy, breaks means no pay.
Server (Former Employee) –  Morehead, KYJanuary 18, 2019
It was never easy. Always trying to make people happy even when all they did was complain. If a sever took a break she didn't make money, so servers never took breaks until they were too tired to work. Management was awful. They had favorites and relationships with employees that was illegal.
Pros
Family
Cons
Management and pay
Steady and Easy going job
RETAIL SALES ASSOICATE (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, SCJanuary 18, 2019
A typical day at work was greeting guests, managing the cash register, and stocking the store. The workplace had classic country feel to it, made you feel at home with the home cooked country meals.
Pros
Flexible with all of your schedules
Cons
Retail maanger

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cracker Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.

52.3K
42.5K
31.9K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Cracker Barrel.

Powered by Comparably