Cracker Barrel Employee Reviews

Found 7,598 reviews matching the search See all 7,606 reviews
Featured review
Cracker Barrel selected this as a representative review
Cracker barrel is a blast!!!!!
Cracker Barrel Server (Current Employee) –  Bradley, ILNovember 5, 2018
Its a nice place to work shifts are short. Customers are nice. There is a lot of teamwork that fosters a fun work environment.Management treats employees fair and honest.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Germantown, WINovember 18, 2018
I was at work on time
I always did what I was told even if not in my job title
I was nice and proletly when helping the customer
The customer was really
I love working as team In some area I also like working by myself
Pros
They had good food
Cons
We had to pay half on are food
Fast paced work environment with room to move around
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Dickson, TNNovember 18, 2018
General food place to work, vert faced pace so if that's not your thing move on. potential for high stress especially when customers are being extra needy or there is a really big rush
Not a good place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Pennsville, NJNovember 17, 2018
Managers were extremely rude. Made people cry every day and coworkers were not any better. Coworkers were allowed to throw glasses and trays at the walls and never got into trouble. Same rags that were used to wipe throw up from tables were used to wipe down the half-cleaned silverware before it was wrapped. Nonstop swearing in the kitchen and everyone yelled at each other. Servers refused to check your tables for hours so you would not be able to leave since it was not approved. Servers get no breaks and they make you work other positions (servers assistant or host) basically for free because the money gets taken out of your paycheck as taxes from your tips. Never had enough hours, had over 150 employees in the establishment. Don't do it to yourself. By far the most disgusting kitchen I have ever seen.
Pros
can get shifts covered, servers keep all tips
Cons
disgusting environment, rude management and coworkers
Great for people with minimum experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GANovember 17, 2018
I loved this place! I started fresh out of college and it was a great place to "get my feet wet"! It was definitely face paced and many nights i went home with aching feet, but the money was great as a server!
not a place for the lazy
varied (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCNovember 16, 2018
No food service job is for those that are lazy. To make the environment function at optimal levels teamwork is absolutely necessary. All employees must work together and at the same level. One person not pulling their own weight can cause the balance to shift which will severely affect production. Every position in the food industry is tied to one another a lack of work ethic or shortage of help will hurt customer service and company profit.
Pros
50% off employee meals
Cons
shifts are not exact if you're scheduled off at 2 and its busy you don't get off ontime
good
Backup Cook (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHNovember 15, 2018
it was a nice job and still is, the people can be very rude but overall its a job at the end of the day and the pay is nice and i make more than my friends do
Very Systematic
Night Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXNovember 15, 2018
Cracker Barrel is a very systematic place to work and doesn't really allow room for individual creative freedom. Everything is mapped out for you the day you get there. Which can be both a good and bad thing. It's good because anyone can do it, but bad because it is too monotonous, stressful and tiresome.
Pros
Special Discounts. Great benefits
Cons
Hardly a thing is made from scratch
Okay place to work.
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  London, KYNovember 15, 2018
Management treat you fairly. The pay is not good and not much room for advancement. Employees were nice and helpful. Excellent with working with your schedules.
Pros
People
Cons
Compensation
Fast-paced, can be fun if youre a younger adult. Works around some schedules.
Hostess/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Wilson, NCNovember 15, 2018
Loved working in retail. Hosting during weekday mornings is the best. Servers are great & very easy to get along with. Can be a hectic environment, but that makes it fun.
Pros
Discount on one meal a day & on retail items every day.
Cons
Low on the pay scale. Not much room to advance after a certain point.
Training provided for only certain positions
Server/Hostess/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXNovember 15, 2018
Thinking it would be a great company to work for, only to find out that there is absolutely no support from co-workers or superiors. Very secluded from the overall flow of business. Favors the cooks and keeps servers stressed by running the food late or too quickly. Lack of care for the guests and their overall experience. Making Host/Hostess liable for any backups the kitchen has. Runs the place as a fast food restaurant rather than a home like and cozy environment. No breaks and no employee meals because of time on clock. Major lack of support from any of the core group. Very controlled by those who have stock and managers. No care for the employees or guests.
Definitely a good starting job or job to have while in college
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  Cookeville, TNNovember 15, 2018
Flexible hours made it easy to work around home life, allowed time for education/college, and created some room for advancement if you wished to proceed
Busy place to work
Server / Waitress (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 14, 2018
Love working here! It's like a Huge Family! Lots of friendly guests and employees many chances for opportunities to move up in the company! Would stay if I made better money I have a family to take care of now.
The manangment
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Mount Airy, NCNovember 14, 2018
They truly care about you as a person but have trouble remembering what you ask of them when scheduling you. Will schedule around someone else if you dont get along with them
Pros
will let you have a smoke break
Stressful and Demanding
Restaurant Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNNovember 14, 2018
Cracker Barrel is a demanding company. But there is a lot to learn and take with you. Other restaurant concepts have a lot of respect for experienced Cracker Barrel employees because they know how much is expected of us.
Pros
Free manager meal, paid vacation, health care, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k
Cons
No real breaks, District managers create paperwork to be done giving less time to run shift, hourly pay rate lower, can't keep good people. Not enough labor allotted to allow for all the extra things they want done.
N/aaaa
Retail Sales Associate, Hostess, Server (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLNovember 14, 2018
When you first start it’ll be a good environment but once you’re in there for a good amount of time it drains you. Needs more work but not enough love for workers
Fast paced, mentally demanding work place at times.
Server/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Alcoa, TNNovember 13, 2018
Overall, Cracker Barrel isn’t a horrible place to work for but I personally am not happy working in a restaurant and would like a change of pace, preferably in a retail or sales associate position.
Not a good place to work
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYNovember 13, 2018
Being a dishwasher at Cracker Barrel was too stressful, too fast paced, constant physical activity that hurt your body within 2 weeks of working(finger and feet sores all the time) General manager didn't listen to any of the employees at all, didn't care about your availability and would schedule you times you couldn't work even after mentioning it literally 5 times, expected perfection, made you stay after your shift EVERY DAY, and over all was terrible at communication.
I wouldn't recommend working as a dishwasher here or anywhere actually unless you only worked like 20 hours a week.
Pros
A lot of hours
Cons
Almost everything
Fast-paced environment to stimulate growth
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCNovember 13, 2018
I liked working here, I just couldn't get the proper hours due to primary job, leaving me in a financial bind. I did enjoy the coworkers, the food was great, and the guests were even nicer. Would recommend if had the proper server attitude.
Some of the managers were helpful and friendly.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INNovember 13, 2018
This place served great food and my co-workers were nice and polite. The interior and decoration of this restaurant resembled an old country store and even had a real fireplace.
Pros
Some of the managers were appreciative.
Cons
Long hours without breaks and highly stressful work conditions.
A good job I guess for some people
Server (Former Employee) –  Coventry, RINovember 13, 2018
It didn't fit my personal style. I don't like country music or their food so this is a biased opinion. Tip averages were low. Some of the management and some of my coworkers were great

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cracker Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.

52.2K

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP35%
In the Top 35% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Cracker Barrel.

Powered by Comparably