Crain Communications Inc Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Time to Go
Senior Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 12, 2018
I was employed by the company for 32 years. Due to reduction in workforce my position was terminated. The company did take care of its employees and it was tough to leave.
Changing Times
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 30, 2017
This company is growing towards the digital age verses the print ages. Downsizing has been the driving force for this company.
Learned a lot through my 18 years. I have had several job positions in my 18 years allowing me gain experience in multiple roles.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Down Sizing
I enjoyed my 24 years there
Project Management Department (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 28, 2017
Journalism is undergoing some difficult times, and I got caught in the wrong job at the wrong time. I really would prefer not to say anything more. I was let go, and let's leave it at that.
Pros
The people, the journalism
Cons
No comment
Great company with good employees
Advertising Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 28, 2017
Family owned company, excellent people, flexible hours. Great location in Eastern Market, paid fenced in parking with guards, very secure. Pay was consistent with market.
Pros
Flexible in job hours, great people
Cons
not much room for advancement
Challenging and Exciting
Vice President, Media Services and Distribution (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 24, 2017
Exciting and dynamic environment where change is the norm and a talented staff work together to deliver quality content to readers and advertisers get access to a diverse community.
Pros
Good compensation.
Cons
A lot of change, but that is not all bad.
Productive and fun workplace
Sr. iOS Developer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2017
Working at Crain was a great experience with a lot of talented people in the Newspaper field. I learned a great deal about the Newspaper business and how competitive it is.
Pros
Great view of Chicago at the corporate office
Digital Imaging Technician
Digital Imaging Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 12, 2017
Enjoyed working at Crain Communications. Excelled daily in photo manipulation of digital documentation for numerous publications. Learned a lot from all the great people I worked with during my time there. Unfortunately the economic collapse during my time there forced me to look into other opportunities.
Pros
Family owned company. Longevity
Cons
Layed off due to failing economy
Was a fun place to work, a real family culture
Programmer/Analyst/Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 9, 2017
This was a fun place to work. Keith Crain had a real family culture going. Too bad the print publishing industry has gone down so much, though I think Crain's had adapted well
OK place to work
Online Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2017
Crain Communications is a family run media business. Management fails to appreciate the work of its editorial teams and lavishes perks on its publishers and their advertising teams. This inequity in treatment leads to high turnover in editorial positions -- especially in the NYC office but not as much in Chicago and Detroit. Compounding the matter, the company cut health benefits a few years ago forcing everyone on to a high-deductible health plan. More recently, the company cut what little money they contributed towards the retirement plan. Despite all the challenges, the editorial teams put out great journalism. Many younger staff go on to bigger media outlets. It is a great stepping stone to something bigger, and even if that does not happen, it is an OK place to work in the long run.
Pros
Free snacks in NYC office
Cons
Poor benefits
Great company
Pre-Press Operations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2017
While I was employed at Crain it was a great place to work. While the newspaper & magazine industry took a big hit, Crain had a unique niche in the publishing industry.
It was a great place to work along with good benefits and great people.
Great Company
Mailroom Supervisor/ Maintenance Associate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 6, 2017
Great company to work for. Very family oriented and lot's of room for advancement. Very Structured environment and great Management team. Great group of hardworking people.
Well payed intership in an encouraging environment
ASSISTANT ARCHIVIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 26, 2015
Collaborated with manager to organize bound publication
indexes to be easily found after office move. Conducted
online research to gather information on former "40 under
40" award winners and created SharePoint database to input
results.
Fun Place To Work
Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIDecember 1, 2014
Excellent and exciting, place to work. Excellent source of information in the world of publication .
Pros
Hoildays
Cons
Limited Promotions from Customer Services Area
Good atmoshere
PRE-PRESS PRODUCTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 23, 2014
Family owned comapny that has lost it's luster as younger children have taken over
Pros
Nice work area
Cons
Restructuring
workplace
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 10, 2014
It has been an experience. I have met some wonderful people, which has proven to be invaluable.
Content Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 13, 2014
Flexible Schedule and great co-workers. I advanced in all my skills and had a very good mentor.
High Energy Work environment
Contact Center Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 26, 2014
Fast paced Call center. Working directly with handling customer service technical support and other duties for Crain publication customers. Although the workers who man the telephones are the face of these facilities, I am involved with other individuals in keeping the call center running smoothly. Among these are a variety of analysts, who deal with everything from Agents, Management, Directors, Networking and Telephony. Researching and resolving potential systematic incidence. Most importantly I enjoy interacting with the people in the company.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no time for lunch, eat at desk
Great exercise room
Special Processing Associate (Current Employee) –  1155 Gratiot Detroit MichiganMarch 21, 2012
Crain is a great place to work. The environment is pleasant you meet all kind of people.. Learn various of jobs.
Pros
bonus
Cons
healthcare