Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews

Ok
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CADecember 12, 2018
It was a good work place. I just didn’t like how people would get when times got uneasy. During heavy production times they would over work ya then expect us to work overtime without being asked I don’t mind over time but that was a slave ship.
So disappointed
sales (Former Employee) –  Boston AteaDecember 8, 2018
This is truly the first time I walked away from a job absolutely disappointed over the mistreatment of employees.

Crate Card, all they cared about
Pros
Many of the sales associates and the merchandising team.
Cons
Everything else, pay, pressure, standing on my feet all day, not being valued
December 10, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experience and feedback. Please contact our Associate Relations team as we welcome an opportunity to discuss further with you.

Temp Associate
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 7, 2018
I currently work temp to perm for the company and I hate it. Training was suppose to last two weeks before the end of week one we were taking calls. Crate and Barrel Associates have a strong dislike for most temps and are quick to call us lazy but honestly we're just poorly trained. Many of the things we learned in training to not do we are pushed to do on the floor. Many of the supervisors/walkers have attitudes and rush when you have questions. Per their own employees they cannot keep staff and in recent months many people have quit. During an 8-10 hour work day you have one 15 minute break and a 30 minute lunch they literally expect you to sit on the phones 4 hours straight and take call after call from rude customers that are upset because they are not receiving their packages on time. They do not communicate with customers when/if their orders get back ordered or packages won't be delivered in the designated time frame. Imagine customers calling in asking questions about their packages and you have no answers for them. Its sad because I had such high hopes when I got this job I was excited and motivated. The atmosphere and the job itself is very discouraging, daily I'm physically and mentally exhausted. I have zero motivation to do my best here. They don't care about the customers, and treat the temps as second class citizens. Oh well I'm just a temp doubt if my opinion matters much. I would not recommend this job.
Pros
Im not sure
Cons
not enough staff!
December 10, 2018

In between the old and new way of doing things
Import Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILDecember 6, 2018
Plenty of great things to say, but as a contractor in the import department, my experience could have been better. For example, I was informed that my assignment was ending via text on Thanksgiving morning. Overall, I had a pleasant experience, but as a minority and only male on the team, I often felt isolated from the rest of the group and its daily mission even though my performance consistently exceeded requirements.

In summary, the company is becoming younger and more progressive, and some management at corporate may be feeling pressure of impending changes brought on by technology and obsolescence. My perspective is solid, so you owe it to yourself to bring this concern up when applying to the transportation group in particular.

Good luck!
Pros
Beautiful aesthetics through the corporate office
Cons
Very few
Slow-paced with no growth
Part-Time Merchandising/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Hallandale Beach, FLDecember 4, 2018
Back of house reps are consistently treated like the forgotten step child. Lots of heavy lifting. Business can be pretty slow throughout the week, then weekend are pure chaos.
Pros
low stress
Cons
uniform, low pay, no room for advancement, hierarchy
Great people, best as a second job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 30, 2018
The people are great as is the discount. It simply does not pay enough to sustain a single person. This is a great second job as there are shifts that start after 5pm and you only have to work one weekend shift.

Beautiful product and fun customers.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
Low pay
upbeat but high paced
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 27, 2018
The customer desire the associates to work at a high pace,. The work culture is upbeat. The company desire the employees to be upbeat and have positive attitudes.
Pros
good upbeat environment
Cons
short breaks
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCNovember 8, 2018
It was a nice experience working there. I had the opportunity to get my forklift operating licensing. I work there to build my resume to get better job openings. I always like to do construction work although I keep my mind open.
needs more advancement
VISUAL MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 7, 2018
Only one location in San Diego County makes advancement difficult. Would work there again now because management has changed. Good discount. Pay needs to be better.
Great Retail Environment
Specialist, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDNovember 5, 2018
Crate & Barrel is a professional, fun, team oriented retail environment. Management focuses on training and flexibility so that staff feels valued. Fun staff events during and after the holidays as well.
November 12, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We’re so happy to hear you love Crate!

Disappointed
Ecommerce, Contractor (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILNovember 1, 2018
Where do I start. You can tell a lot about a person/company by how they treat the person at the bottom. I was a contractor.

1. I was ignored by everyone. No good morning, how are you? Nothing.
2. They would go to meetings for hours leaving me alone with no one to ask questions/get answers from.
3. The manager seemed annoyed with me when I finished assignments early.
4. I would get no feedback good or bad.
5. The manager would get donuts and coffee for the other employees but never asked if I wanted anything or offered me anything.
6. They would eat pizza etc in front of me and never offered me any.

I cannot believe how rude Crate and Barrel was to me. I heard nothing but great things about them before I started there. I heard they help contractors and interns . They are helpful and nice. Sorry to say that was not the case for me.
November 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a member of the Associate Relations team where we can find out more details and follow up with the appropriate senior level management. ​

no regards to associates with experience of 5 yrs or more
Yard Jockey/warehouse associated (Former Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCOctober 31, 2018
under new management and new operations ;for over 2 yrs and has a high turn over rate with the employee experience and none experiences stressful over the weeks with overtime that has don't consider the associated personal needs outside the work place learn a lot about warehouse operations and safety but the polices or unfair to some as better with others
Cons
lack of personal needs time off if their are problems arises / unknown
I don’t care for this place anymore.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 29, 2018
They pay minimum wage, but it’s easy to get time off with out pay. This is a good place to work seasonally. Merchandising is boring as heck and super competitive here, especially if you’re trying to get on the design team. Housewares sales might be a more pleasant experience. Furniture sales is full of unnecessary drama but it does pay better. There’s not a lot of room for advancement and management plays favorites. If they don’t like how you work, they won’t address it with you in a one-on-one meeting like they should; they’ll tell all the managers to treat you differently to the point where it becomes harassment and you quit your job out of fear :)
Pros
Small discount on the overpriced goods, 401k
Cons
Poor communication, poor management
November 5, 2018

Great shift
Office clerical (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAOctober 25, 2018
Working at Crate and barrel was a blessing, but with the new GM cutting our shift leaving us to pick between two different shift we weren’t hired for is stressful. I worked grave shift since being hired. The hours worked perfectly for me.
You will never be bored.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 24, 2018
A typical day at work is spent with a lot of stocking, unboxing and helping customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers, they honestly are the main thing that make each day worth it.
Cons
Only hires part time. No benefits
Fun place to work with great people
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 17, 2018
There are a lot of great things about working at Crate and Barrel: the customers are typically wonderful to work with, I have met and built relationships with some great coworkers, and its a relaxed job. However, when you are in a full-time position there are some major cons (which are all common to retail): you will work weekends, it can be hard to get time off around holidays, and you don't typically get two days off back to back. In the time I have been with the company it seems like growth upwards is slow; a lot of emphasis on "putting in your time."
Unprofessional, Disorganized, Lack of Accountability
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 12, 2018
The location I worked at is a very unprofessional and disorganized place of business. In fact I felt it was a hostile work environment with the way the store manager conducted business and treated employees. The store manager often used profanity and spoke ill of subordinates. There was a strong lack of accountability for following company policies like attendance and security. Training was often spoken about but never followed up or completed. Many of the staff are unhappy due to low moral which is caused by the poor management and lack of recognition for employees. I strongly do not recommend working here.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
unprofessional, disorganized

Poor culture
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAOctober 11, 2018
Place is filthy, HR not professional. GM is disrespectful and thinks he is a God!

Great place to get your lift license and leave. The pay is top 3 worst for the area.

All the good management already smelled disaster and have moved on.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
HR and management
October 15, 2018

Productive and fun work place
Yard driver (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAOctober 9, 2018
In a typical day at work it is always a fast pace working environment. During my time at work I have learned to always be alert with other drivers. This workplace is for all cultures that's why I enjoy working here. The only hardest part of my job is when the weather is bad and I have to be move alert.
Pros
Pot luck and free lunch
Cons
15 minutes break and 30 minutes lunch
Change is not always good
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 9, 2018
Customer Service has been revamped in the past year and it hasn’t been good for the company or its employees. The restructuring was ill-conceived, poorly planned and poorly executed. Caller wait times have increased dramatically and associates have less time to follow up with customers — which forces customers to call back over and over — which increases call volume and creates longer wait times. It’s a vicious circle.

In the four years I’ve been there, it seems that changes are made to keep the company “in line” with “industry standards.” That’s not a good enough reason if the changes don’t work. They’re hiring more associates, but their training is abbreviated. By the time they get on phones, they’re unprepared and quickly become discouraged. Recently the company started using temps who don’t seem to have much invested in their job. They have terrible language skills, no enthusiasm and are just plain lazy.

Working in Customer Service is not fun anymore. No one has time to do the follow up work necessary to make customers happy and it’s very stressful. I often work through my breaks, come in early and NEVER leave on time because of the work load. Several coworkers in my level have quit recently, along with two supervisors and a manager. I’m not surprised. I recently applied for two openings in Leadership, but was disappointed when both those jobs went to lower-level associates. How does one go from Level 2 to Lead while skipping over Level 3 completely?

In the last year, we’ve gotten new desks, new office chairs, a new kitchen/lunchroom, new computer
  more... monitors and new “soft phone” system. Those are nice, but I would rather have seen that money go toward hiring more associates with proper training and some raises.

If things don’t change soon, I will likely be looking for a new job after the holiday season.
Pros
Healthcare, freebies, discounts, shift swapping, 401K
Cons
Short non-paid lunches, performance ratings based largely on stats instead of skill level, leadership always in meetings
October 15, 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crate and Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.4InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

4.2Career Opportunities

3.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight