Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with great people
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 17, 2018
There are a lot of great things about working at Crate and Barrel: the customers are typically wonderful to work with, I have met and built relationships with some great coworkers, and its a relaxed job. However, when you are in a full-time position there are some major cons (which are all common to retail): you will work weekends, it can be hard to get time off around holidays, and you don't typically get two days off back to back. In the time I have been with the company it seems like growth upwards is slow; a lot of emphasis on "putting in your time."
Unprofessional, Disorganized, Lack of Accountability
Manager (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 12, 2018
The location I worked at is a very unprofessional and disorganized place of business. In fact I felt it was a hostile work environment with the way the store manager conducted business and treated employees. The store manager often used profanity and spoke ill of subordinates. There was a strong lack of accountability for following company policies like attendance and security. Training was often spoken about but never followed up or completed. Many of the staff are unhappy due to low moral which is caused by the poor management and lack of recognition for employees. I strongly do not recommend working here.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
unprofessional, disorganized
October 15, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a member of the Associate Relations team where we can find out more details and follow up with the appropriate senior level management.

Poor culture
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAOctober 11, 2018
Place is filthy, HR not professional. GM is disrespectful and thinks he is a God!

Great place to get your lift license and leave. The pay is top 3 worst for the area.

All the good management already smelled disaster and have moved on.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
HR and management
October 15, 2018

Productive and fun work place
Yard driver (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAOctober 9, 2018
In a typical day at work it is always a fast pace working environment. During my time at work I have learned to always be alert with other drivers. This workplace is for all cultures that's why I enjoy working here. The only hardest part of my job is when the weather is bad and I have to be move alert.
Pros
Pot luck and free lunch
Cons
15 minutes break and 30 minutes lunch
Change is not always good
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 9, 2018
Customer Service has been revamped in the past year and it hasn’t been good for the company or its employees. The restructuring was ill-conceived, poorly planned and poorly executed. Caller wait times have increased dramatically and associates have less time to follow up with customers — which forces customers to call back over and over — which increases call volume and creates longer wait times. It’s a vicious circle.

In the four years I’ve been there, it seems that changes are made to keep the company “in line” with “industry standards.” That’s not a good enough reason if the changes don’t work. They’re hiring more associates, but their training is abbreviated. By the time they get on phones, they’re unprepared and quickly become discouraged. Recently the company started using temps who don’t seem to have much invested in their job. They have terrible language skills, no enthusiasm and are just plain lazy.

Working in Customer Service is not fun anymore. No one has time to do the follow up work necessary to make customers happy and it’s very stressful. I often work through my breaks, come in early and NEVER leave on time because of the work load. Several coworkers in my level have quit recently, along with two supervisors and a manager. I’m not surprised. I recently applied for two openings in Leadership, but was disappointed when both those jobs went to lower-level associates. How does one go from Level 2 to Lead while skipping over Level 3 completely?

In the last year, we’ve gotten new desks, new office chairs, a new kitchen/lunchroom, new computer
  more... monitors and new “soft phone” system. Those are nice, but I would rather have seen that money go toward hiring more associates with proper training and some raises.

If things don’t change soon, I will likely be looking for a new job after the holiday season.
Pros
Healthcare, freebies, discounts, shift swapping, 401K
Cons
Short non-paid lunches, performance ratings based largely on stats instead of skill level, leadership always in meetings
October 15, 2018

Was a great place to work but has lost the culture that was once strickly upheld
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCOctober 8, 2018
When I started with Crate and Barrel it was an awesome place to work. Almost everyone started from being a temp and had an opportunity to grow with the company. All rules and policies were strictly but fairly upheld. Safety and adequate training were # 1 priority. It had great culture and we all treated each other like family. I really enjoyed those times and will remember them the rest of my life. However in the last 2 years the company took a turn for the worst when a new warehouse management system was rolled out. We began falling behind in work volume due to lack of proper and adequate training. The culture quickly diminished. Changes began to start being implement with out input from the leadership team. We began bringing in new staff with out sufficient time for training. The staff went from roughly 60 to 150 in less than a month with out the addition of leadership to support the staff properly. Ultimately it is a very unorganized and stressful place to work now.
Pros
Plenty of hours and good pay and benefits
Cons
No consistancy and very stressfull

low wages, long hours
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2018
Company hiring from outside company and paying employees more than internal employees in same position.

Because stores are understaffed, amount of work per person greatly increased but did not result in increased wages.
Great place to work, but not to build a lifelong career.
Senior Designer, Marketing (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2018
C&B maketing studio is a fast paced, creative, and rewarding place to work. There is no shortage of challenges, and ways to apply unique skills. It is not designed as a lifelong career, and thus many team members will be "burned-out" within 5 years.
Pros
free lunch, creative atmosphere, talented coworkers
Cons
non-competitive benefits, unclear career path
A lot of changes
Store Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAOctober 5, 2018
When I first started working with the company, it had a feel like a "family". Throughout the years there have been so many changes and it is not the same.
I loved my job and my work environment.
Senior Computer Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILOctober 2, 2018
I was hired when I was newly graduated and I was given the opportunity to shine and grow. Unfortunately I was working out of state and it took away time from taking care of my son.
October 8, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We’re so happy to hear you love Crate!

It used to be a great company to work for.
International Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 1, 2018
It used to be a great company to work for. It is more about the numbers than the employees that create the numbers. There is not a clear vision for leadership.
Corporate office Great; Stores hit or miss
Sales (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 24, 2018
I worked at both the store level and the corporate level. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at the corporate office. It was very collaborative and was my absolute favorite job. Unfortunately, I left due to the weather in Chicago was miserable.

My time at the store, however, was a different story. The management at my store was incredibly reserved and non-engaging. It did not offer much in the way of upward movement and the atmosphere was very hostile. This was more obvious once I came back from my position at corporate.
Laziest company I've ever seen
Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILSeptember 24, 2018
When Crate and Barrel bought out Land of Nod, it all went down hill. The employees are lazy and team work does not exist. The management is even lazier and a toddler could run a better business. If you enjoy getting screamed at by customers all day because their over priced Chinese furniture arrived damaged again, this is the place to work.
Pros
Health benefits, 401k
Cons
Management is lackluster

Productive and Supportive Workplace
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 22, 2018
Fast paced work environment.
Team orientated with strong supportive workers.
Sales and stock work hand in hand and support each other.
Management was awesome and very understanding and comfortable to talk to.
September 25, 2018

Productive and great work environment.
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTSeptember 21, 2018
A typical day at work as part of the merch team was a lot of stock checks, maintaining and refurbishing displays, helping your managers with whatever needed to get done and helping out customers. I was only with Crate & Barrel during their seasonal hiring/leading up to Christmas. Even while the store was packed and things were more stressful it was enjoyable to be at work. I would say one of the hardest things was prioritizing what to get done when you didn't have enough time, and answering customer questions that were often outside my realm of responsibility as a Merch associate. However, sales associates are always there to help you with customers and in general everyone I worked with had a great attitude. Management was friendly yet professional. I would definitely recommend this job to anyone looking to apply.

Not a fan
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 14, 2018
Once the original owner left it all went downhill.

Discount was good but not enough staff to take care of everything that needs to be done. I don't want to write this review why are you making me!
Pros
The Discount
Cons
Boring
Good place to work, change happens quickly
Customer Service Agent Level 3 (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILSeptember 13, 2018
Working on BorderFree orders, answering the help line for internal customers, answering phone for incoming customers,

Finding time to get everything done in a 8 hour day but can stay late if need be but learned about time management and flexibility

The people I work with are great
Pros
Contests, food days
Cons
short lunches, health care is ok
Okay
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 11, 2018
It was good. The team acted more as a family. I was able to float between positions and try different things in different departments. The discount was great.
Safes to Management
Furniture Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 10, 2018
busy store with variety of customers needs
learned all aspects of sales and management roles
workplace culture is fairly non-existent
much unnecessary stress involved
GREAT customers!
Pros
Phenomenal customers
Cons
Poor leadership, unhealthy levels of stress
September 18, 2018

Great for the LGBTQ Community
Visual Design Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  The Grove, CASeptember 9, 2018
Nice place to work, but slow business. Due to the lack of business hours are not guaranteed. Lack of cultural diversity, and sensitivity. Schedule was very flexible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crate and Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Diversity score

57out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Crate and Barrel.

Powered by Comparably