Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews

Great learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 25, 2019
I liked working here because I was able to work on my conversation skills and learn how to sell better. It was a great environment with a lot of hardworking employees and managers that I was able to learn from. Everyone worked together, so I never felt confused or incapable of finishing a task.
Pros
nice people, clean environment
Cons
short breaks, no commission
Stressful, but other associates help make the day go by.
Resolutions Team Specialist (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 24, 2019
When I first started working at Crate and Barrel, I actually loved working there, especially on Mondays. Now, management has gotten so bad and the turnover is more than I've seen or heard about any company.
Pros
Overtime optional
Cons
Stressful, micromanagement, frowned upon when going to the restroom
March 25, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experience and feedback. Please contact our Associate Relations team as we welcome an opportunity to discuss further with you.

Low Retention Rate and non-trained management
Operations Support Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 24, 2019
Crate and Barrel unfortunately has an issue where sometimes, people get lost in translation. It is worse however when management cannot be relied upon to offer concise genuine feedback or competent operational expectations that benefit the store as a whole. I do not suggest working there.

Changing culture.
Manager of Product Design and Development (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 21, 2019
Lacking in training.
Might be good in the future but lacking vision.
Seems like its going from a tight knit company to an international culture.
Benefits can be worthwhile.
Very competitive- Managers have their favorites
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2019
If the SM does not like you- for whatever reason: different personality, dresses differently, or any other ridiculous idea- you will not get promoted. They're out for themselves and if they feel threatened by you- you have no chance for advancement. Welcome to the retail version of Mean Girls.
Pros
fellow associates/learning design
Cons
management and corporate
March 25, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a member of the Associate Relations team where we can find out more details and follow up with the appropriate senior level management.

Busy, but negative environment.
Level II Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 20, 2019
The day is busy, your limited to a 15 and 30 break. The company has been through allot of changes- not sure if they are good ones as a lot of people say they “used to love” working there. Some Leads and Supervisors don’t interact with their team, only certain people making it feel cliquey. There are some wonderful people there but the environment has a very negative feel. They are very secretive about change and promotions, which feed the negativity. People who would be great at elevated positions are overlooked and there is some backstabbing that goes on. The company bends over backwards for the customer but shows little to know appreciation for their employees. It’s a hard job because you are dealing with mostly negative situations and ther is not a lot of recognition or appreciation, which is leading to high turnover. They don’t seem to care about the quality of the customer service, just that desks are getting filled. If you want to be excited about going to work, having fun while working hard, and loving what you do I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Pay is decent, benefits are decent.
Cons
Short breaks, negative environment, being watched constantly like children.
Part-Time Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 20, 2019
I love sales, so this was a fun place to work at. I thoroughly enjoyed the product training, sales competitions, and bridal open houses we did featuring local vendors.
March 25, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We’re so happy to hear you love Crate!

Okay Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 18, 2019
It's retail - Headquarters and customers treat you like a loser because you work in retail. I started as seasonal and moved to full-time in the retail sector with the hopes that this would gain entree into corporate/HQ ... Not happening. Retail are the grunts who will remain grunts.
Terminal Cancer company
Lead (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAMarch 18, 2019
As a former employee in management..crate and barrel is a Cancer. Makes you sick and angry everyday. No plan of execution just get in there and figure it out.
Pros
Cons
Not enough space to type everything

Merchandising review
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 15, 2019
a typical work day was very exciting there. the energy was always amazing. the employees are uplifting and helpful. management is good. workplace culture is excellent
March 18, 2019

Productive Environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2019
Family oriented, you will build relationships and it will impact your personal life also. Its fast paced in the busy season but you will feel fulfilled.
Great work area just go through so many changes
Utility heavy lift operator (Current Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCMarch 13, 2019
Liked the job loved the money and hours in beginning as management started quitting job went down hill. My manager that's there now is great but there are alot of thing that they can do to make it better.
Pros
Good work place
Cons
No free breaks
Review
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 11, 2019
Great top management to work for. Working hours were flexible, and lots of overtime if needed. I would recommend to future job seekers. Near the area,
March 18, 2019

Will be “Great”
Forklift Driver/Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAMarch 8, 2019
Love working for Crate in Tracy. Over that last year, they are making changes. Old Managers are gone (which be good). New Managers know what they are supposed to do. They have good eyes.

Issue is HR. My Manager constantly complained about her until he left. She does not talk to us and stays locked in her office. She acts like she cares, but I asked for help on benefits and she told me to figure it out. My shift will not talk to her because she does nothing for us. We complained about her, and they nothing about her.

If you want technology to help with your work, don’t come here. We still use the same system from 10 years ago. Maybe they will invest in something to help us get better.
Pros
New Leadership, Fair, Communication
Cons
HR Manager, Breakroom is small, No TV in breakroom

Excellent Place to Work At
Manager (Current Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 6, 2019
Crate & Barrel is an excellent company to work at and they give you oppurtunities for career advancements. The culture and people is what kept me for many years at this job.
March 11, 2019

worst company I've ever worked for
Warehouse Associate, Aerotek (Former Employee) –  Salida, CAMarch 5, 2019
this place doesn't treat it's temporary associates the same as their full-time workers, breaks were short, it was always hot inside the trucks, they didn't care if you were legit sick or not you were pretty much fired if you missed a day of work
Pros
Cons
short breaks, treated differently than a full-time associate, no benefits, no pto, no sick days, you were fired if you missed one day
March 11, 2019

Flexible and fun atmosphere with great management.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAMarch 3, 2019
Crate and Barrel has exceptional customer service and I think that has a lot to do with the great management. There are various trainings that help us connect with customers and give them the best help possible. It is a very well business and employees and customers greatly benefit from this atmosphere. I have personally learned so much working here and it has really trained me in a variety of aspects.
Pros
Flexible hours, good management, enjoyable atmosphere
Cons
business gets slow at certain times of the year which means significant less hours for employees
Enjoyed working there at the start....
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIFebruary 23, 2019
You never receive formal training. You're put on the sales floor and job shadow a sales associate. It helps to work at Crate and Barrel if you've had experience working in a similar environment, but there is still a lot to learn. Sales associates there are helpful, as is merchandising. A few of the managers there are somewhat poorly trained or don't care to learn. One has been there for, at least, two years and doesn't know the stockroom let alone the register. Some have no idea what they are saying when they tell you how to do your job and unless you are a department lead correcting them so they don't make the same mistakes again, they instigate an argument with you when you do the same. Injuries happening at work and the prevention of its recurrence are not taken seriously. For example, employees have been cut by the blades used as box cutters, but are still in use. There is also an emphasis on you persuading customers to open up a Crate & Barrel credit card.
Pros
30% employee discount, 45 minute break, free food, helpful sales associates.
Cons
Safety concerns not taken seriously, a few poorly trained managers, dated technology, favoritism.
February 25, 2019

Crate Review
Seasonal Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 13, 2019
a typical day involved taking orders from customers over the phone. the workplace culture was very stressful, dealing with customers over the phone does not provide enough contact - customers were fixed on what they wanted and the training did not encompass dealing with irate customers.
Pros
ability to work overtime
Cons
no benefits
Great Company
Operations Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 12, 2019
Great place to work. Not too many negatives about working here. Decent pay and manageable work load. Holidays are insane but off seasons are decent paced.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crate and Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss