Crate and Barrel Pay & Benefits reviews

Management is horrible. Favoritism to the hilt.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 31, 2019
Attached to a phone. Wasn’t told this in the interview. Don’t ever talk to a coworker for over 10 seconds, you’ll see your manager and lead coming at you. Their products are substandard. They take your time and give points out without blinking an eye. If they start you over their regular starting pay, you can rest assure you’re not getting a raise for a while.
Pros
Full benefits, nice coworkers
Cons
Favoritism, very poor management
Changing culture.
Manager of Product Design and Development (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 21, 2019
Lacking in training.
Might be good in the future but lacking vision.
Seems like its going from a tight knit company to an international culture.
Benefits can be worthwhile.
Busy, but negative environment.
Level II Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 20, 2019
The day is busy, your limited to a 15 and 30 break. The company has been through allot of changes- not sure if they are good ones as a lot of people say they “used to love” working there. Some Leads and Supervisors don’t interact with their team, only certain people making it feel cliquey. There are some wonderful people there but the environment has a very negative feel. They are very secretive about change and promotions, which feed the negativity. People who would be great at elevated positions are overlooked and there is some backstabbing that goes on. The company bends over backwards for the customer but shows little to know appreciation for their employees. It’s a hard job because you are dealing with mostly negative situations and ther is not a lot of recognition or appreciation, which is leading to high turnover. They don’t seem to care about the quality of the customer service, just that desks are getting filled. If you want to be excited about going to work, having fun while working hard, and loving what you do I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Pay is decent, benefits are decent.
Cons
Short breaks, negative environment, being watched constantly like children.
Great work area just go through so many changes
Utility heavy lift operator (Current Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCMarch 13, 2019
Liked the job loved the money and hours in beginning as management started quitting job went down hill. My manager that's there now is great but there are alot of thing that they can do to make it better.
Pros
Good work place
Cons
No free breaks
Will be “Great”
Forklift Driver/Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAMarch 8, 2019
Love working for Crate in Tracy. Over that last year, they are making changes. Old Managers are gone (which be good). New Managers know what they are supposed to do. They have good eyes.

Issue is HR. My Manager constantly complained about her until he left. She does not talk to us and stays locked in her office. She acts like she cares, but I asked for help on benefits and she told me to figure it out. My shift will not talk to her because she does nothing for us. We complained about her, and they nothing about her.

If you want technology to help with your work, don’t come here. We still use the same system from 10 years ago. Maybe they will invest in something to help us get better.
Pros
New Leadership, Fair, Communication
Cons
HR Manager, Breakroom is small, No TV in breakroom
March 11, 2019

worst company I've ever worked for
Warehouse Associate, Aerotek (Former Employee) –  Salida, CAMarch 5, 2019
this place doesn't treat it's temporary associates the same as their full-time workers, breaks were short, it was always hot inside the trucks, they didn't care if you were legit sick or not you were pretty much fired if you missed a day of work
Pros
Cons
short breaks, treated differently than a full-time associate, no benefits, no pto, no sick days, you were fired if you missed one day
March 11, 2019

Crate Review
Seasonal Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILFebruary 13, 2019
a typical day involved taking orders from customers over the phone. the workplace culture was very stressful, dealing with customers over the phone does not provide enough contact - customers were fixed on what they wanted and the training did not encompass dealing with irate customers.
Pros
ability to work overtime
Cons
no benefits
Great Company
Operations Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 12, 2019
Great place to work. Not too many negatives about working here. Decent pay and manageable work load. Holidays are insane but off seasons are decent paced.
Bad management
Reached lift operators (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAFebruary 6, 2019
New management don't know how to run a warehouse. I asked to moved to 2nd shift for child care and they denied me. New workers that knows the manager get better treatment and raised. I'm max out at 16.25 which new hired getting 18.50. I been at crate and barrel for 6 years . The moral at work is at all time low.
Benefits
Cons
Bad management
February 11, 2019

Great company - changing culture
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 27, 2019
Crate was a great place to learn and start a career path. The culture created over 40 plus years was exceptional. As time went on and the company was led by the Otto group changes were necessary. Optimization became a new go to and a lot of culture and good people were lost in that transition. It seems that they are on the uptick though now after a few year. Good for them. Great products, great people, lots of opportunity
Pros
good atmosphere, good training, healthcare
Cons
hard to get out of ruts, top down management, benefits could be better
It's an alright place to work, no real complaints
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 22, 2019
Not a bad place to work. More hours would be nice. The culture among the employees is not the greatest, it isn't the worst either. Just not a place I would like to work for the long term.
Wonderful work culture with great benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kildeer, IL USAJanuary 20, 2019
Working full-time at Crate & Barrel gives access to a 401k and contributions from the company. The staff are always polite, friendly, and very loyal to both their friends and family and their customers. The hardest part of the job, as a Sales Associate, is having to interact with particularly angry, impatient, and/or demanding customers. Would love to work at C&B again, both in the corporate office and the retail stores.
January 22, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We’re so happy to hear you love Crate!

Great at first then... bad
Furniture Design Expert (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Poorly ran from a corporate stand point. Employees leaving left and right because company is becoming more corporate based, and leaving their employees out to dry. Don't apply here if you get stressed out easily, or if you need money cause the pay isn't enough to compensate for the stress/work.
Pros
Benefits, Friendly Work Environment
Cons
Everything Else..
Overworked and Under-Appreciated
Full Time Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 7, 2019
This company has lost all the culture it was founded on. Your position title will change, you will receive more responsibility than is fair or manageable in your current role and you will not be given a salary increase.
January 14, 2019

Good place to work.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 23, 2018
Nice atmosphere to work and some fun activities. . Great product that they offer and a nice discount. They offer good benefits. Some management changes aren’t so great.
Pros
Nice people.
Cons
Poor management.
Slow-paced with no growth
Part-Time Merchandising/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Hallandale Beach, FLDecember 4, 2018
Back of house reps are consistently treated like the forgotten step child. Lots of heavy lifting. Business can be pretty slow throughout the week, then weekend are pure chaos.
Pros
low stress
Cons
uniform, low pay, no room for advancement, hierarchy
I don’t care for this place anymore.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 29, 2018
They pay minimum wage, but it’s easy to get time off with out pay. This is a good place to work seasonally. Merchandising is boring as heck and super competitive here, especially if you’re trying to get on the design team. Housewares sales might be a more pleasant experience. Furniture sales is full of unnecessary drama but it does pay better. There’s not a lot of room for advancement and management plays favorites. If they don’t like how you work, they won’t address it with you in a one-on-one meeting like they should; they’ll tell all the managers to treat you differently to the point where it becomes harassment and you quit your job out of fear :)
Pros
Small discount on the overpriced goods, 401k
Cons
Poor communication, poor management
November 5, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to discuss your experiences. We welcome an opportunity to discuss your experiences with you. Please contact our corporate offices at 847-272-2888 and ask to speak to a member of the Associate Relations team where we can find out more details and follow up with the appropriate senior level management. ​

You will never be bored.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 24, 2018
A typical day at work is spent with a lot of stocking, unboxing and helping customers. The most enjoyable part of the job is the co-workers, they honestly are the main thing that make each day worth it.
Cons
Only hires part time. No benefits
Change is not always good
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILOctober 9, 2018
Customer Service has been revamped in the past year and it hasn’t been good for the company or its employees. The restructuring was ill-conceived, poorly planned and poorly executed. Caller wait times have increased dramatically and associates have less time to follow up with customers — which forces customers to call back over and over — which increases call volume and creates longer wait times. It’s a vicious circle.

In the four years I’ve been there, it seems that changes are made to keep the company “in line” with “industry standards.” That’s not a good enough reason if the changes don’t work. They’re hiring more associates, but their training is abbreviated. By the time they get on phones, they’re unprepared and quickly become discouraged. Recently the company started using temps who don’t seem to have much invested in their job. They have terrible language skills, no enthusiasm and are just plain lazy.

Working in Customer Service is not fun anymore. No one has time to do the follow up work necessary to make customers happy and it’s very stressful. I often work through my breaks, come in early and NEVER leave on time because of the work load. Several coworkers in my level have quit recently, along with two supervisors and a manager. I’m not surprised. I recently applied for two openings in Leadership, but was disappointed when both those jobs went to lower-level associates. How does one go from Level 2 to Lead while skipping over Level 3 completely?

In the last year, we’ve gotten new desks, new office chairs, a new kitchen/lunchroom, new computer
  more... monitors and new “soft phone” system. Those are nice, but I would rather have seen that money go toward hiring more associates with proper training and some raises.

If things don’t change soon, I will likely be looking for a new job after the holiday season.
Pros
Healthcare, freebies, discounts, shift swapping, 401K
Cons
Short non-paid lunches, performance ratings based largely on stats instead of skill level, leadership always in meetings
October 15, 2018

Was a great place to work but has lost the culture that was once strickly upheld
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCOctober 8, 2018
When I started with Crate and Barrel it was an awesome place to work. Almost everyone started from being a temp and had an opportunity to grow with the company. All rules and policies were strictly but fairly upheld. Safety and adequate training were # 1 priority. It had great culture and we all treated each other like family. I really enjoyed those times and will remember them the rest of my life. However in the last 2 years the company took a turn for the worst when a new warehouse management system was rolled out. We began falling behind in work volume due to lack of proper and adequate training. The culture quickly diminished. Changes began to start being implement with out input from the leadership team. We began bringing in new staff with out sufficient time for training. The staff went from roughly 60 to 150 in less than a month with out the addition of leadership to support the staff properly. Ultimately it is a very unorganized and stressful place to work now.
Pros
Plenty of hours and good pay and benefits
Cons
No consistancy and very stressfull
October 15, 2018

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crate and Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Crate and Barrel.

Powered by Comparably