CreateSpace Employee Reviews

For self-published writers
Self-published author (Current Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 9, 2018
I have self-published two books through CreateSpace so it is not really a job or place of employment. I like their services because I can self-publish my work for a low price and have my books to sell on Amazon (CreateSpace is part of Amazon).

I am my own boss and the pay is based on whether I sell my books through Amazon.
Pros
I am my own boss.
Fun place with nerdy culture
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 9, 2017
Typical day here consisted of working in a cubicle, there's a nintendo 64 in the break room, very much an Amazon company. You can tell when you walk in the door. Relaxed culture, very quick paced work however.
Amazing at Amazon
Publishing Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMay 31, 2017
loved it there. very friendly environment. relaxed dress code. everyone is positive. amazing work life balance. spend the day on the phone with authors and sending them emails. sadly my contract ended.
Great Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 7, 2016
I loved working for Amazon as a company!
They have great benefits, everyone makes you feel apart of the team, very good training and lots of perks within the company.

I just was not a desk job person.
An easy to understand network of self publishing tools.
Self-Published Author (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeOctober 9, 2016
As long as you are willing to market your own book, CreateSpace will walk you through how to manage the rest, from designing a cover, formatting your novel, to even finding the right editor to review your manuscript. They have extensive forums that cover almost any questions you may have. And, a direct line to publish on kindle, and get your book available on Amazon, right away. Ordering new copies is easy, and rather inexpensive for authors, and the standard licensing and listing costs is well under $800. All you need is a well written novel, and a drive to personally market every single copy to the public.
Pros
Retain rights to novel, extensive tools and guides to publishing, access to kindle and Amazon marketplace, active forums for any advice you may need.
Cons
Marketing is left up to the author.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCOctober 15, 2015
Fun place to work with great management team. This company is all about numbers and metrics. There is always room to grow.
productive
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  North CharlestonJune 3, 2015
Amazon has the potential to be a great company to work for but as long as they promote from the outside and not from within and utilize the people who actually know the job inside and out it will it will remain a place where the only thing that matters is what the numbers say on a printout never really knowing the people that make that place function
good place to work
Production (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 22, 2015
made books cut them and put them together and made movies and cd and packed them up and shipped them out to people it was a great place
A strong company, but not many advancement opportunities
Senior Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJanuary 5, 2015
Overall, CreateSpace was a great experience. I learned a lot and learned it very quickly. However, there was a distinct dead-end to my department. I advanced to a Senior Support Specialist, but it was clear that that was as far as I could go. When my department was restructured, I had the options of starting back at the bottom or moving on to another company. I saw a lot of people lose their jobs based on almost arbitrary restructuring.
Pros
Good work culture, fast paced, and informative
Cons
Little job security
Great pay and benefits but horrible management
Member Services (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 29, 2014
While the job itself was great, the management lacks the necessary people skills to really be a winner. They are very impersonal and treat you like a peon.
solid
Writer, Editor, Publisher (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 15, 2014
i enjoyed it much. Great time to learn while doing what you love to do.
Fun company and a foosball table
Publishing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 25, 2014
Fun place to work, but there is zero job security. Typical from an Amazon company.
Positive workplace great morale
Customer Service Rep/Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 21, 2014
Assisted members with their accounts. Typical day included using Microsoft Excel and Word. Answered phone calls and e-mails. Also, worked in the warehouse, shipping and receiving. The hardest part of the job was problem solving. Every day was a new challenge. The most enjoyable part would also be the problem solving. the job kept you on your feet and made every day a new adventure.
New Company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 17, 2014
CreateSpace was a new company & things were always changing.

I enjoyed being the Customer Service Representative to create training material & teach new hires.
Pros
Company picnics, lunch where everyone brought something they made.
Cons
Management jobs were given to people from the outside & they had no experience.
A good place to work
Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMay 2, 2014
CreateSpace is a very secure company, being a subsidiary of Amazon. While they compensate you very well, expect to work for it. My manager and co-workers are very good at what they do and they are willing to help you if needed.

The hardest part of the job is definitely the work-life balance. You have a lot to get done, and it can be stressful on your personal time.
Great place!
Author (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 25, 2013
Able to write at my own pace and not be rushed! Get the most royalties back I've seen ever. I've created the work and get about 70% royalties.
Pros
Free publishing
Cons
Great benefits; horrible management and vision
Content Media Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 31, 2013
The benefits are great after three years, but the management has no vision. Jobs and departments are constantly added and removed and not managed properly, extremely high turnover, company is always losing money, and there is no degree-specific work. Doesn't advertise as a call center but that is exactly what the job is. 90 percent of the company is call center work. Calls are "graded," emails are graded; high focus on quantity vs. quality.
Pros
Cons
poor management, high turnover, ambiguous work environment, call center
Great benefits
Process Assistant (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCSeptember 13, 2012
Great place to work, long hours, learned great management skills, most enjoyable part is meeting different people
Pros
benefits, easy work
Very productive, A great place to work, And the Employee is great
Assembler (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJuly 26, 2012
The co-worker there are great. The managers are very friendly and will help u out alot. I have learn how to put books together. The job is very easy to do and everyone is willing to work with you.
Fast Pace Work Enviroment
Production Team Member (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCMarch 28, 2012
Pack, seal, label, and affix postage to prepare materials for shipping, using work devices such as hand tools, power tools, and postage meter. Record shipment data, such as weight, charges, space availability, and damages and discrepancies, for reporting, accounting, and recordkeeping purposes. Determine shipping method for materials, using knowledge of shipping procedures, routes, and rates. Examine contents and compare with records, such as manifests, invoices, or orders, to verify accuracy of incoming or outgoing shipment. Contact carrier representative to make arrangements and to issue instructions for shipping and delivery of materials. Deliver or route materials to departments, using work devices, such as hand truck, conveyor, or sorting bins