Creative Discovery Museum Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
wonderful work environment, hard to advance
Programs Educator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 29, 2018
I've worked at CDM for a very long time in hopes of advancing my career and moving into an administrative role within the museum. Unfortunately, as a non-profit, there are not many administrative roles and those who fulfill them are not going anywhere any time soon, so it is very difficult to move up. I do absolutely love the work environment, though - everyone is so uplifting and loving. It's a real family kind of feeling.
Pros
great co-workers, different day-to-day schedules, fun environment
Cons
no room for advancement, only part time jobs available
Fun, Welcoming Workplace
Programs Educator (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 6, 2017
I worked at the museum for years and made many friends out of my fellow coworkers. It can be hard, thankless work sometimes, working with young children and trying to spark a love of learning. The worst part is that it's a nonprofit museum so there are very few full-time jobs with benefits. I would have stayed longer if I could have grown more there. I learned so much about children's behavior and even more about myself.
Pros
Free Lunches, Great Coworkers
Cons
No Benefits, Sometimes Few Hours
the best
performer (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 15, 2017
was on a performers contract and loved the enviornment every day I was there. The staff is super friendly and welcoming. Never a boring moment in the museum.
Non Proffit Culture
Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 7, 2017
very little structure in the area of personnel management. The expectations were unreasonable for the position. I learned that they would exploit your skills without rewarding your efforts.
If u want a real job this is not thecplace to work at.
Visitor Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 19, 2017
Very cut throat in hrs, no benefits, & petty managers. Overall, if you are a college student living off of your parents this is a okay place to work at until you graduate. This is not a place to advance nor make a career out of.
Pros
Some co workers were ok
Cons
Petty managers, no pay, & no benefits
Fun with kids
receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 3, 2015
There's not a typical day at a children's museum. One day you can be helping the volunteers and the next day you can be making reservations for the summer camp for members. I learned how to make reservations, answer a multi line phone, do correspondence, make orders of office supplies, assist with pay day, and graph sales for the gift shop and café.
I enjoyed working with the gift shop and café manager.
Pros
free pizza Friday
Cons
No advancement, no benefits
Incredibly fun place to work
Building Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJune 2, 2015
I probably couldn't have enjoyed a job more. The environment is all about fun and learning and keeping guests happy. Although my position wasn't the most glamorous, any other position in the museum is one you should desire. The only con is that many of the office staff can be catty, but you probably won't deal with them much.
Pros
free food ALL THE TIME, fun work environment, perks in the town
Cons
short breaks, micromanaging, someone is always unhappy
Fun
Administrative duties (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNDecember 29, 2014
This is a fun place to work at. Management can be iffy at times but overall a good experience
Fun educational working environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 13, 2014
I is a great environment for parents to bring their kids to discover their creative side and learn basic everyday skills such as cooking, cleaning, ect. I use to go to the Creative Discovery Museum a lot as a child, so I always felt good going back to help and re-live memories.
Pros
Rewards for volunteering. Day trips, lock-ins, free membership, ect.
job
Housekeeping Associate (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 8, 2014
the work I do at creative discovery museum is ok.the staff is very friendly.happy staff.the job is not hard.but my dream job is to work for the city of Chattanooga.it is very important that you love the job that you do. I love goals and dreams in life.i come close to my dream but I never get it. something allways get in the way.and block my dream.
wonderful place to work
Office Manager and Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNNovember 1, 2013
A typical day is to provide clerical/administrative support to the Executive Director and other staff. I supervise one receptionist, who is great! We keep the day to day activities in the administrative offices running smoothly. This may consist of setting meetings, maintaining supplies, handling set-up for lunches/events, answer phones/switchboard, various data entry, creating Word memos, creating Excel spreadsheets, creating PowerPoint presentations, creating Publisher flyers, filing and many other office tasks.
Pros
feels like being around a good family everyday, but in a professional, office setting
Cons
thankful to have my current job, but would like more pay
Very fun place to work
special Projects Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNFebruary 11, 2013
You learn something new every day from working here. The people are amazing, and its a great experience to encounter
Pros
free lunches
Cons
healthcare
Creative and fun environment to work!
Membership Manager/Database Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNSeptember 10, 2012
Great place to work and play! Best staff I have ever encountered in my work life. Everyone wanted to be there to make the Museum the best in the country.
Pros
onsite lunch available
Cons
long commute