Credit Union West Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
A work experience to remember..
Member Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Prescott Valley, AZApril 25, 2018
Definitely a stressful environment to work at, there is a lot of micro-managing, favoritism, unrealistic loan goals with little to no office time to work on/meet goals without being pressured to do so. Attended frequent mandatory “Saturday training’s” to learn new branch procedures that were useless because branch manager would not follow those procedures when back in branch. Manager plays the role that they are there for you but if you do one wrong doing you shall reap the consequences. There is no room to grow within this company, Any promotions you see are due to an employee being there 10 or more years. GOOD LUCK!
Fast past family environment
Loan Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 25, 2018
Credit Union West was a fantastic place to work. I got hired on when I was young and learned a plethora of knowledge I could not have fathomed prior to working there.
Pros
Comfortable environment
Cons
Short lunch
great environment
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 22, 2018
CUWest is a very good company to work for. The atmosphere is a team environment and all employees are working to make it a great place to work, The teams are all ready to take care of our members and their needs.
Pros
great management team
great company...open culture
Associate (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 15, 2017
Been with the credit union and seen a lot of changes. They are a driven company and constantly making positive changes. They have an open culture that is fun. They do yearly things like an employee rally, ugly sweater contests, and other fun events. Benefits are really good and they recently made them even more affordable.

Love this place!
Pros
Overall great company, benefits, open culture
Cons
Can't think of anything. They keep getting better!
The culture is declining
Do not disclose (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZNovember 8, 2017
With recent changes in leadership (especially HR) the culture has changed from productive and supportive to most staff being afraid daily they will be fired without warning. In the last few months alone almost 10 key employees have been fired or quit due to this new culture.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
bad environment at corporate
CUWest
Other (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZOctober 26, 2017
Awesome place to work! Crazy good benefits - all FREE for employees- medical, dental, vision, life, disability, 401k with great employer match, PTO, paid Sick time, 12 (!!!) paid holidays, bereavement time, tons of other perks as well. Friendly staff, open door policy with management, lots of room for growth (defined matrixes), great community involvement, awesome members, competitive pay and bonuses! Love it here.
Pros
see above
Cons
I really can't think of any
sales sales sales
Member Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Prescott Valley, AZSeptember 20, 2017
My previous experience has been over 10 years in credit unions and banks ..
The Credit union itself was very great to me . I got a 1 year card , I birthday card from the CEO.. company helps In the community .. company as a whole I loved it .
Benefits are not worth the money , they only offer preventive care . And it's a 2500 deductible . Dental is good though.

In branch was a different story
Fixed scheduled left me without my 40 hours per week , unfair management , unrealistic goals , inconsistency, advancement is unobtainable, and you have to balance a cash drawer daily on top of many other tasks and goals

High turnover in yavapai county, I've seen over 5 employees leave in just one year , and I've seen promotions only happen due to everyone else leaving.

You may be great at your job
But if you don't meet your loan goals , and balance a drawer to the penny you obtain preliminary warnings which will lead to more discipline .

I felt stressed when I went home due to loan goals and not feeling confident making cold calls when half the time the calls lead to a decline anyways , and the location does not bring in enough traffic to meet goals without home loans , which you can't do until you are licensed as an NMLS.

I've made some life long friends with some of the employees but I think a step back needs to be taken to readdress the in branch operations and how to make employees feel more appreciated in a sincere way.
Pros
Great members
Cons
Lack of advancement, poor benefits, unfair management treatement unrealistic goals
Friendly
Senior Member Service Rep/Member Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2017
Open branch
spot check teller drawers
fill atm and balance it
brinks orders
custmer deposits, loan payments, issued debit cards and cancelled, opening checking, savings, cds, ira and roth accounts.
Pros
free lunches at times
Cons
Health care
Lack of Advancement
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZSeptember 13, 2017
At Credit Union West, there is a definite lack of advancement. It also lacks stable direction from management.
The communication between departments is poor and this negatively affects its membership base.
Cons
Lack of advancement, often miss taking breaks, stressed envirnonment
Great place to work, but not many opportunities for advancement
Customer Loan Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZSeptember 9, 2017
Started off as a CSR took me about 2 years to get a chance to get an advancement opportunity. Now that i am in my new position, advancement opportunities are halted, I have co-workers that have been there for over 20 years and they have not had many opportunities to grow. Pay is good, but need something that will provide for the family, even before the quarterly incentives.
Pros
Great Management, Care for employees
Cons
Very little career opportunities
Employees care
Manager (Current Employee) –  CorporateMay 9, 2017
Employees care about each other and taking care of the member. It's a large enough company that they can provide great benefits but small enough that you don't feel like a number.
Great Place to Work for Great People
Manager (Current Employee) –  Corporate OfficeMay 9, 2017
Credit Union West is a great place to work for great people. They truly believe in enhancing the quality of life for our members, community and the employees. I will be approaching a 15 year milestone anniversary with CU West and intend to continue through retirement.

If you are looking for a challenging career with advancement opportunities for those willing to do the work to advance, you will enjoy the collaboration and engagement of working for a smaller organization where your voice is heard.
Pros
Matching 401K, Ongoing Training, Generous Paid Time off
Awesome Banking Job
Member Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  Prescott ValleyApril 26, 2017
This company works hard to make things good for their employees. They always look for and ask for feedback. They even have a team that accepts ideas on how to make your job better from our base level employees.

Pay is decent, they stay competitive within the market, as well as benefits.
They also offer a pretty awesome quarterly incentive. There are goals, but when I talked to other employees who came from other institutions, they were completely reasonable, and some people said too low..

The hardest part of this job, is the multitasking. The concept is cool, you help the member from start to finish, but it can be overwhelming. You just have to be able to prioritize.

I had a great time working at my branch, the members, the team and management was great!
Pros
Quarterly Incentive, Closed Branch whole business day for Employee Rally, Fun environment
Cons
Short staffing/Limited Staffing at times, Stressful days/Busy Days
Average Company/Average Benefits
MSR/MSO 1 (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 24, 2016
Typically had schedules a week ahead, part time schedules cut to very short hours, but spread over most of the week - and three weekends a month. Learned to work with the public in face to face transactions. The co-workers were great and made the job worth coming in for. The hardest part of the job were the constantly changing job titles and expectations to maintain those ever-changing positions.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Short inconvenient hours
Stressfull
Member Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZDecember 10, 2015
Goals were set to high. You were only able to work your loan goals 3 days a week and the rest of the time you were on the teller line. Unable to make phone calls to meet your goals.
Cons
no breaks on saturday work days
ok
Teller (Former Employee) –  Cottonwood, AZNovember 3, 2015
satisfactory work experience nice coworkers management could be better members are great lunches are nice and long schedules are incosistent and very varied
Provided service to members as Assistant Branch Manager
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2015
CUW was a great learning opportunity I experienced for two years. While my goal was career advancement, there were veteran branch managers that were very successful in their roles. I enjoyed learning about credit union processing and managing a branch and the members were very loyal. My career advancement, however, required more opportunities than CUW could offer at the time.
Pros
Loyal membership, great learning experience.
Cons
Insufficient career advancement.
Business oriented but difficult to advance
SENIOR MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZJuly 10, 2015
Credit Union West provides many opportunities to learn new information. The members are friendly, and open typically making it easy to work with them. Management depends on location, with most managers trying to be friendly and open. The culture can become very clique oriented, and mundane, making it difficult to advance.
they do things their way
loans (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 3, 2015
i was told I would be able to input my knowledge and that never really happen it was a just nod & smile type thing
they didn't have guidelines to follow , very vague , it seemed like the picked and chose who got a loan

i was told at hire there was no room for advancing as they were a small RE dept but i have alot to offer and they only used me as a warm body, no minorities in dept
Pros
friendly and health insurance
Cons
members of credit union are super spoiled and demeanor the employee moral
Great work environment
eBranch Representative 1 (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZApril 22, 2015
I log on to the phones and assist any members with their concerns or questions about their accounts, then i would notate the account.
Pros
Wonderful boss
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Credit Union West. Our community is ready to answer.