Crisis Text Line Employee Reviews

Volunteer Counseling
Volunteer Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  At homeAugust 6, 2018
I enjoy volunteer counseling for this company. The supervisors are very nice and always there to back up the volunteers. I have never felt stuck or back into a situation where i did not have support. Helping others is fulfilling
Good training, Great Mentorship to work here
Trainee Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 11, 2018
It's a great place to help out the other people who are in the depression. They offer the great training for the counselor to work with different people who need help. Highly recommend.
Great Experience
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 9, 2018
A great way to gain experience for those interested in the mental health field. You create your own hours and schedule so it is easy to balance between life and work
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 29, 2018
You make your own schedule and pick days that work for you. It's a little stressful, but the instructors and supervisors are amazing and so supportive of the volunteers. They would do anything to help you.
Great Experience
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 15, 2018
This is more so a volunteer opportunity than a job. They do not pay you, but it is for a good cause. You are helping those who are emotionally distressed
Amazing place to volunteer
Crisis Counselor Volunteer (Current Employee) –  OnlineMay 1, 2018
I have always wanted to be involved with crisis intervention and helping those in critical need. This company and their mission and culture is rare and amazing. I love the experience, and knowing I can take people from a Hot to a cool and calm moment.
Pros
Volunteer from home
Volunteer
Volunteer Counselor (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLApril 30, 2018
This is a volunteer based organization. I would not consider it a "job" and is completely optional. There is no compensation, which makes answering this questionnaire difficult. I typical "day" consists of 2 hours at a time talking with texters in crisis over the computer. The management and supervisors are amazing and supportive.
Volunteer Experience
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 28, 2018
Stressful but rewarding work via your own computer. Includes training. Supervisors are eager to help, as well as other counselors. Really feel you are helping people through tough times.
Great Work Experience, Coworkers/Volunteers become Family
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Newark, DEJanuary 25, 2018
Being a Crisis Text Line Counselor has been an amazing experience. It has taught me all about mental health. The worst part is not getting paid, however it is volunteer work.
Pros
Experience
Cons
No benefits as a volunteer, no payment
Beautiful support for potentially stressful work
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2018
We are crisis counselors, so we deal with crises. CTL, however, does whatever they can to make us feel supported, well-rested, appreciated and cared for. It's a wonderful community on a beautifully designed platform with a quick and easy training protocol. Everyone should sign up - little by little, we can help each other grow into amazing humans!
Extremely Supportive Team
Crisis Counselor - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Prairie Grove, ARJanuary 12, 2018
The nature of this job can be emotionally taxing but the management team has been able to balance the difficult work with optimism. Dealing with people in distress can be wearing but knowing that you are making a difference is satisfying.
Meaningful volunteer opportunity
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJanuary 9, 2018
Crisis text line is a good place to gain volunteer experience and help others. You will learn how to help people in crises ranging from romantic breakups to suicidal thoughts. Work is on your own schedule and can be done at home. Staff and co-workers are supportive.
Pros
meaningful, good way to get experience, good training
Cons
unpaid volunteer opportunity
Great starting point.
Counselor- Crisis Intervention (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJanuary 5, 2018
Its a volunteer Position. But it is a great way to get experience working as a counselor and doing crisis work.

The work culture was wonderful. It was very large organization, but their was much support.

The work is very fast pace, but equally rewarding.
Great!
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 11, 2017
Amazing place to volunteer! Very accessible and thorough training for people who are not mental health professionals. Extremely rewarding. Highly recommend.
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILNovember 5, 2017
Staff and volunteers are wonderful. There isnt a thing about CRISIS text line that is bed. The volunteers are all welcoming and genuinely great people.
Great Place
CRISIS COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2017
It is extremely rewarding helping others in their time of crisis.You are allowed to work around your schedule. The supervisors are extremely helpful if you have questions.
A rewarding volunteer program that I love
Volunteer Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOSeptember 14, 2017
This is volunteer. It is an amazing company that gives people the opportunity to help others in need, I couldn't be more proud to be associated with such an amazing thing.
Pros
Rewarding
Helpful Environment
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Yucaipa, CASeptember 10, 2017
I am a volunteer for the Crisis Text Line and I choose my hours. It is easy to work the platform and they train us very well. Everyone of my supervisors have been very kind and helpful.
Pros
Choose Hours, Mental Health Tips
Cons
A little stressful
Crisis Text Line
Volunteer Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NY 10010September 4, 2017
I have helped a​ ​diverse​ ​population​ of texters by ​being warm,​ ​empathetic,​ ​active​ ​listening,​ ​and​ ​critical​ ​thinking​ ​skills.​ ​You have to be able​ ​to​ ​think​ ​quickly​ ​and​ ​adapt​ ​to​ ​the​ ​texter’s​ ​needs​ ​in​ ​order​ ​to  develop​ ​rapport,​ ​de-escalate​ ​them​ ​during​ ​life​ ​threatening​ ​situations,  and​ ​assess​ ​them for​ suicide ​risk.​ ​De-escalating​ ​texters​ ​in​ ​crisis​ ​takes​ ​an​ ​immense amount​ ​of​ ​creativity,​ ​persistence,​ ​and​ ​patience. I have always found my supervisors on my shift to be greatly supportive and helpful at the times I need guidance. The culture is a diverse one and a great community to work in. My hardest part of my job is not having enough time to give. My most enjoyable part of the job is knowing while I'm there I am able to help texters even in the littlest ways.
Friendly workplace where many people are able to be helped.
Crisis Counselor Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Work from homeSeptember 4, 2017
A typical day of volunteering usually involves about ten people that I help who are in a crisis.

The most important thing I have learned through Crisis Text Line is how to be a crisis counselor. I have learned the important skills to bring a person from "a hot moment to a cool calm." Having people who are in a crisis is extremely stressful, so it was important for me to learn a routine to boost my self-care.

The management of Crisis Text Line is excellent. From training to actually volunteering, everyone is friendly and helpful. Any question I have, they are right there to help. My trainer still reaches out to me to check in on how I am doing.

The workplace culture of Crisis Text Line is also excellent. There are many different areas (within the website) you can go to chat with other crisis counselors and debrief about different cases. My peers are extremely supportive, which helps to take some of the edge off.

The hardest part of being a volunteer at Crisis Text Line is listening to extremely difficult stories and having to respond there are certain phrases that are natural to say, but as a crisis counselor we are not allowed to say, so it can be difficult to come up with an appropriate answer. Being a crisis counselor is mentally draining.

The most enjoyable part of the being a volunteer crisis counselor is being able to directly help people. Seeing a person who is mentally exhausted and done with life, turn into someone who is willing to get long term help is extremely satisfying.
Pros
Get to help people
Cons
Mentally draining