Crossroads of Western Iowa Employee Reviews

No appreciation from management
Lead direct support professional (Former Employee) –  Missouri Valley, IAMarch 23, 2019
Over worked, under paid. Managment would not do the same job that they were expecting from me. No accountability of other staff. Management offered no input or suggestions for behaviors.
Cons
Poor management, poor pay
Great Clients but poor communication
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJanuary 25, 2019
Clients were great to work with but lack of communication was poor and was always having to work double shifts most of the time because not enough employees.
Hectic and unprofessional workplace
Residential Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJanuary 24, 2019
Worked here as a student and it was hectic and stressful. My schedule would sometimes change without any notice from the manager. Communication between the manager and employees was terrible. When we reported issues, the management team did little to nothing about it.
Pros
Helping clients live better lives
Cons
Leave time was rarely approved. Poor communication.
As a client I felt as if some staff understood me well
Miscellaneous/client (Former Employee) –  Missouri Valley, IAJanuary 4, 2019
My experience as a client is slightly scattered. I had some great staff while other staff was seeming rather annoyed with the fact I wasn't as disabled they had hoped. I just hope Crossroads grows and becomes prosperous.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Disrespectful staff
worked share the ware
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IADecember 16, 2018
The management was horrible they were rude to the clients, did not have a good experience there. but did have good benefits and loved the clients. Loved working at the share the ware it was a fun and different then working in the homes.
Poor supervisors, high turnover
Job coach (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IANovember 8, 2018
Poor place to work. Not supported with real life/practical training. I was not comfortable with some decisions made for clients. Supervisors were not qualified and were sometimes petty in their decisions.
Pros
I enjoyed the clients
Cons
Poor managers
Fun job with very rewarding benefits
Vocational Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAOctober 20, 2018
I really enjoyed serving the clients of the company and liked working for the amount of time I was employed. Great employees and great work environment.
Severally Understaffed
Residential Coach (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IASeptember 23, 2018
For the past 6 months they've been understaffed as people have been leaving which has burdened remaining staff with nearly double the standard amount of hours in addition to weekly meetings. When I started management rewarded staff for taking on the burden now it's expected and not rewarded. I constantly receive calls while off pertaining to work related issues by my manager, including when I'm out of town on vacation. Because of the understaffing staff are unable to find a substitute to cover their shift when sick forcing staff to work while suffering through a stomach bug, flu, etc.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of your clients.
Cons
Overworked Staff and loss of family time
Stressful environment with both office management and job environment
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAAugust 20, 2018
I enjoyed the fact that I could make a difference in these people's lives. The job is not always easy as there are also behaviors that occur and vary.
Rewarding and fulfilling work place!
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAAugust 7, 2018
Crossroads of Western Iowa has grown a lot in the last 5 years. This past year and a half Crossroads has been dedicated to improving employee engagement and satisfaction. There are advancement opportunities for those who want to advance. Since starting my career at Crossroads, I have been promoted three times. It is a great company to work for if you are interested in helping others succeed and grow!
Pros
Employee Benefits, growth opportunites, Flexible work schedule
Cons
Work environment can be frustrating, high burnout
A somewhat difficult company
Residential Coach (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAJune 5, 2018
This company is very difficult to work with. You do not have a say in what hours you work and can be changed to a different shift without being consulted. The management team changes every couple of months and you do not know who you directly report to which can lead to quite a bit of tension.
Pros
Great benefits, Amazing coworkers
Cons
No Breaks or Lunch, working more that 10hr days, very little downtime
Positive, upbeat and team building environment
Administration (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJune 2, 2018
Crossroads of Western Iowa has been a great working environment that has allowed me to use my talents, enhance my skills and interact with a great group of individuals. I enjoy going into work each day!
Pros
Benefits; the People; The Clients; PTO
Mismanaged
Residential Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMay 26, 2018
The company had the right idea but is so poorly managed they have lost sight of their original intent. The culture is the poorest of any place I have ever worked. Expectations are high with little or no training and everyone is overworked. It’s not worth the money. Upper management is nice to your face and will stab you in the back first chance they get. Not a great work environment. Huge turnover at all levels tells you something.
Pros
Clients
Cons
Everything else
very rewarding
Residential Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sioux City, IAMay 20, 2018
Working with the clients was awesome the office staff not so much. They hired a new replacement for the sioux city area and apparently she wanted all new staff because most of my co-workers quit and then so did I
Pros
the clients
Cons
Office staff has no clue
It was enjoyable to a point
Residential Coach (Former Employee) –  Missouri Valley, IAMarch 17, 2018
My time at Crossroads left me with mixed feelings. When I first started I wasn't sure if it was the job for me, because I had never been in this particular line of work before. But I ended up really enjoying working with most of the people I took care of. By the time I decided to leave Crossroads of Western Iowa, I felt very let down by the management system at the Missouri Valley location. There were several things going on at the time to make me feel this way; I felt that they did not care about their staff or their consumers on the personal level that they would claim that they did. If something happened to someone or it was an emergency situation we were always directed to call on-call, but most of the time they would not answer depending on who was calling or what house you were calling about. Overall I got the feeling that the management team only cared while they were in the office, but once they left for the day or the weekend that was it. They would also show favoritism towards certain staff members and the rest would have to pick up the slack. I usually had to work 18-hour shifts, be off for about 5 and a half, then go back for another 18-hour shift. I was not able to balance my work life and home life at all, and if I needed a day off for something I usually had to send in a request at least two months in advance.

But aside from this, the experience that I got from this job is something that I appreciate and still use at my current job. I learned how to listen better in order to assist someone with a problem or issue that they were having, I was able to provide
  more... guidance and advice when necessary and I was able to form bonds with some very special people and I absolutely loved working with those individuals. For the clients/consumers alone, I would definitely recommend Crossroads of Western Iowa to a friend or to someone who was looking for a new or different type of job opportunity.  less
Pros
meeting wonderful people and forming special bonds with some of them
Cons
long shifts, not a lot of time off, management team is lacking
Fun clients but they didn't always pick the best staff
Vocational Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IADecember 14, 2017
They hired people that would not hold their jobs or were rude to the clients. However, they help a wonderful cause and can teach everyone a little something. It is the kind of job you can be proud to do.
Pros
The Clients
Cons
Management can't get on the same page
Empowering individualists with disability with their daily living.
Direct Support Professional, I assist clients (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IA 51501November 16, 2017
Daily I empower individuals with disabilities to achieve the best out of their lives. I take individuals to community activities such as the mall the zoo or just simply grocery shopping. I also assist them with their daily goals and document how they have completed their goals.
Pros
great benefits, laid back, and pays well
Crossroads was a second family to me
Links coach (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAOctober 16, 2017
I loved ever minute of working at Crossroads. The company is very large and spread out to many different sections, but the part you end up working at will be come your second family if you let it.
Extremely rewarding working with the clients
Residential Coach (Former Employee) –  Missouri ValleyJuly 27, 2017
Fantastic working with the clients, wonderful to feel you are helping people, however consistently understaffed and no set work schedule, everyone feels that they are overworked and underpaid. Company has the right idea, however, employees are unhappy due to schedule problems, and a feeling of total exhaustion from lack of consistency with your work days. Very hard to have a private life with no set schedule being available due to understaffing being a consistent and constant problem.
Pros
Helping wonderful people, getting to know them, and appreciate how very special they are
Cons
No steady work schedule, exhaustion from long hours, constant understaffing, mandatory overtime.
A day at work
Resident Coach (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAJune 23, 2017
there is no typical work day everyday is different. what I have learned is never take anything for granted. the hardest part of the job is expecting the unexpected. the most enjoyable part of the job is that I get to help people make better choices for themselves.
Pros
helping others
Cons
not able to get shift that is needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crossroads of Western Iowa. Our community is ready to answer.

Crossroads of Western Iowa Reviews by Location