Crowley Maritime Employee Reviews

Very Safety Oriented
Engineering Cadet (Former Employee) –  At seaMarch 25, 2018
I enjoyed working on the MV Philadelphia Express, always kept busy and enjoyed my coworkers. The management was helpful as well. my typical day was going into work at 0800 and usually finishing up around 1700 which i thought was a good work day.
Great ship
Unlicensed Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 15, 2018
I was on apprentice wages but heard the money wasn't the best. I loved the engine dept. Learned a lot in the engine room. Most of the deck guys were great to work with as well. Food was amazing!
BBQ's every Sunday!
A small company that cares
Change Leadership (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 19, 2018
Crowley Maritime is a small company that behaves like a larger company. The CEO is only the third person to lead the company and is the grandson of the founder. It is a busy place and there is a lot going on. Still, they find time for fun activities (Halloween costume contests, Thanksgiving and Thank you lunches for employees. They offer great free internal training and leadership learning opportunities. They invest in the people and it shows. I would still be there if I had not had to move. Love this company!
Pros
Compensation a bit on low side
Cons
Benefits are awesome and reasonable
Easy going workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St Thomas, VIJanuary 7, 2018
I truly loved and understood my job. The hardest part of the job was the favoritism shown to others because I was considered a new comer. Otherwise, it was easy going and if I was unsure of an answer I would ask someone with seniority for assistance.
Pros
Annual Awards
Cons
Working 30 days straight to only earn 1 day and a half of sick or vacation leave
slow paced not much excitement or physical work
Ordinary Seaman (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKJanuary 2, 2018
Wednesday are stores. we get one to two jobs a week escorting oil tankers. I was a deckhand so look out tieing up to dock and tankers. cleaning interior and exterior daily.
Pros
good food
Cons
work shift hours
Productive fast paced environment
Crewing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 19, 2017
Crowley is a great place to work. It's fast paced and A stressful environment at times. Must be able to multi task and be organized overall great company
Pros
Work from home some days
Cons
on call 24 hrs a day
Good family company
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 14, 2017
Great company to work for, great benefits, very family oriented. I would still be there today if the business hadn’t shut down. Through the years I became certified in air and ocean training, forklift operator, and Inwas a warehouse manager!
Manager is too controlling
IT Audit Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 26, 2017
Culture is very indirect. Audit requires straight up communication. Quite a mismatch. Professional Development is on track for creating a more modern working environment, but middle management has not accepted the changes.
Pros
Not too much overtime
Cons
One management style, old school
Oil Spill Response
Barge Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Valdez, AKAugust 29, 2017
Here at Crowley, we work with the Alyeska Pipeline to ensure if a spills happen in Valdez we are response ready. Our fleet has been ready at a moment’s notice. I love the company and the crew. Unfortunately Crowley maritime lost the contract in Valdez and I find myself looking for employment.
Pros
Great crew and great company
Cons
No real cons.
Liked the company as a whole.
Marine Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 3, 2017
My manager was a bully and very caddy. We did not get along. I enjoyed working there the first 3 months. It then went downhill. I learned a lot in the Marine Industry. The culture was very good.
They demand a lot
Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 29, 2017
Hard to have any other relationships do to long trips and short breaks. With little recondition besides the pay. Living conditions on the boats is poor. Very noisy and cramped.
Pros
Py
Cons
Long work days
Solid company with drawbacks
Senior Logistics Analyst/Business Development (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 9, 2017
Crowley maintains a great dedication to its employees and genuinely cares.

Major issue was with advancement and structure. My department has very poor structure and in such very difficult to advance.
Pros
Job security
Good work
Second Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 7, 2017
When starting out in the maritime career Crowley is a Good company to work for. You'll have a steady job, and be constantly working. The benefits are great as well.
Great Place to work
Import Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Medley, FLMarch 21, 2017
Great Job to work, benefits are awesome. everyone is friendly. its a lot of work load in the seasons but that tells you a lot about the business. Everyone works as a team and very helpful to one another when needed. wish i can stay permanent but this is just a temp assignment for me,
Fun place to work
Cadet Aboard ATB Legacy and ATB Legend (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 13, 2017
Crowley is a caring company that takes care of both it's people and the environment. would recommend to all job seekers that they apply if appropriate.
Good Company
Inland Operations. (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 11, 2017
Great benefits and good company to work for. I do not have anything bad to say about the company . I enjoy working for Crowley .
If you work in Logistics or Inter-modal then the volume of work will be high and will be overtime for sure. The company appreciates your motivation and pays for the overtime as well.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
high volume of work
Unique Marine Industry Experience
Second Mate (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJanuary 22, 2017
I was with Crowley Marine for most of 2013, assigned to one of their Ocean-Class tugs as Second Mate/DPO. It was a Union job which was new to me and overall my experience was favorable.
Pros
Good crews, nice accomodations
Cons
salary renegotiations
What I really like about my Job
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 27, 2016
My job as a marine engineer is for me a hobby and I like to say I love the challenges this job give me.

It educate me to be a good manager and that even when I had a tough challenge . I learn that in this field you never give up.

The jobs I had was demanding was physically hard and when you manage over 3000 people you understand that team work is the most important skills you have to implement .

The feedback from your employer is that you surround your self with respect, trust and that you have a great level of integrity is comforting for the organisation you are working for

The goal as manager as I see it is to give the organisation you work for the security and that the objective the ownership require to succeed financially and be a profitable business exist

And that ownership is willing to give you the support you need to succeed
Pros
That I can be appriciate for what i do
Cons
That it is not easy but ownership is aware of that you will try your best
Fun place to work
3rd Assistant Engineer (Former Employee) –  New JerseyDecember 14, 2016
The vessel in which I was employed had a solid crew and we got the job done in a safe and environmentally safe manner at all times.

I learned a lot by being employed on this vessel.
A great company with the usual drawbacks.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 12, 2016
The Crowley Culture is real, and they mean what they say when it comes to employee safety. The company has many different business units, so the opportunities to grow and advance are nearly endless. Their pay is not the best, but the benefits package more than makes up for it. It is a great place for people at any stage in their career.

The downside: once you are out of the clique or have a manager who doesn't live the Crowley Values, you might as well find another job. HR is not there to help employees--they work for the company. That is true everywhere, but especially at Crowley.
Pros
Culture, safety, environment
Cons
Office politics, allow harassment by managers