Crowley Employee Reviews

Shipboard accommodations minimal, 15 days on 15 off is the std. rotation in Harbor tugs on the West Coast. Shifts are 6 hours on 6 hours off.
Vessel engineer (Former Employee) –  San Pedro, CAAugust 10, 2019
Don't expect support from upper management as they lack the skills or willingness to evaluate situations not under their imediate control. If you're on somebody's list they will find a way to get you gone. Actually training captains that way. Gossip and chaeracter assisination are considered valid management tools by some aND accepted as "truth" by others. Equipment varies from boat to boat some more run down than others. They play the "shoot the messenger" when things get tough.
Pros
Food budgets are not tightly monitored, so the crews eat as well as their cooks are able/willing to provide, (expect lots of pbjs and frozen pizzas in your diet and you won't be dissapointed).
Cons
Healthcare is minimal, SIU is the union and is weak.
Ok place to work
Merchant Mariner (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 23, 2019
Company does not value their employees, all they care about is getting the crew from point A to point B doesn't matter who or how its done. You have to Union member to work here too, which sucks!
Crowley offered many perks such as Travel; Personal Growth and Support from Upper Management.
Corporate Manager Equipment Control (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 10, 2019
My initial position was to manage the Puerto fleet Size of 12,000 Containers; Chassis and Trailers. This involved numerous communications with the Vessel Loaders; Planners and Commercial Entities to ensure enough equipment was available for bookings and that the equipment was returned in a timely fashion to keep profitability high. Within 2 1/2 to 3 years we were successful in reducing the equipment fleet for Puerto Rico from 12,000 units to 6,000 units. This had a tremendous effect on our bottom line and service level to the trade. I learned how to work with various parts of the company with different goals and mentalities on equipment management and how to get those parties to agree on a reasonable level of all equipment needs and volume levels. Management was resourceful and supportive. This included the IT Department that would help us establish KPI's that benefitted all concerned. Everyone was positive and worked hard to concur on the most reasonable solution for the overall good of the stakeholders involved. The hardest part of the job was gaining collaboration from all parties (some with different views) to obtain the most profitable Fleet Size Levels. The best part of the job was the satisfaction of successfully getting the group to agree on competing viewpoints in a cohesive and sustainable manner.
Pros
Everybody wanted to help and succeed.
Cons
Legacy ideas and comfort zones had to be cohesively changed in order to continue success.
Unorganized and Overwhelming
Training Administrator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 12, 2019
Great place, but needs structure. The job was very stressful and never had the opportunity for growth. Needs better management and work as a team. Lots of competition and not working together.
Senior Electrical Hardware/Firmware Engineer (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CADecember 14, 2018
Employees are recognized for achievements both professionally and personal.

Family type business environment, where all employees can be given the opportunity to excel if desired.
Pros
Professional/Personal Recognition
Cons
Poor managment communication
Pick orders to fill
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 24, 2018
Given a bag of tags pulled order to be tagged with price fill order for stores and re pack order. Where to tag merchandise. Nice but wanted you to keep up with production. Picking up heavy boxes or tagging a big order. Got a chance to see new merchandise before it hit the store.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks
La parte mas dificil del trabajo
Export Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Guaynabo, PROctober 7, 2018
se llegaba muy temorano yse salia a alta horas de la noche. Hay que ser multi tasking ya que tienes a cargo varias responsabilidades a la vez.
Pros
buenos beneficios marginales
Cons
se trabajan muchas horas overtime
safe and productive working enviroment
2md Mate (Former Employee) –  Valdez, AKOctober 5, 2018
it was a good time working at Crowley in Alaska. The company place safety of their employees first which made it a nice and safe environment. the only bad thing is the travel, company travel paid is not enough for flights.
negative
Scanning Technician (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDAugust 16, 2018
I started in April, 2018. During that time I saw 3 people terminated including the Director, miscommunication in management and no replacements for the people that left and to top it off, laid off in July. The job itself was easy and the co=workers were great, but overall, I would not take a chance on working there because you don't know what's going to happen. I was offered no severance and was not paid the leave that I had.
Pros
easy job, great co workers
Cons
Lack of communication in management, high turnover.
Very frustrating
Director of Service Bureau Operations (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDJuly 30, 2018
Very frustrating work environment. Don't follow any specific plan. Communication from upper management is very poor, no set training regiment, often don't follow thru on commitments.
Good company to work for I had to leave for medical reason
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 23, 2018
I was the first one to arrive prepare the coffee turn the lights and phones on. Basically I would answer the incoming calls and get the conference rooms ready for training, and daily meeting. I would received incoming and prepare outgoing mail, I helped the other departments with their daily task so that I could keep busy. I setup all Company Events.
Pros
I loved the people I worked with.
Cons
To much down time not enough to do.
mostly a decent place to work
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 1, 2018
Arrive and get settled in for the day.Do your job and leave at quitting time.Learned about industrial fans.Management was weak.They took the enjoyment out of work.Learning the correct math for the applications needed.The interesting customers you spoke with.
Pros
being able to make mistakes before submitting for review
Cons
couldn't get excited when securing a new order without being told to tone it down
Safety First
Captain (Current Employee) –  Valdez, AKMay 21, 2018
CMS is a solid Company with Safety at the forefront. The support is second to none. Pay is competitive. Strong diverse workforce. Work conditions normal to Tug life.
good work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRApril 15, 2018
this company its real good but the problem is the human resources team. The cultural management and union personnel its constantly debates. The supervisor team its a great people but the managing coaching or support to the supervisor was poor
Pros
great experience in the port was great, good salary, benefits and other
Cons
quality time to the family or free time to dedicates to the family its poor
job
Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDMarch 24, 2018
My job was very boring. No human intereaction. Was not for me

I was a very basic employee. I was not involved in any management decisions, so I am not qualified to add advice
Great place to start
Digital Imaging Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDFebruary 27, 2018
The Crowley Company is a great place for one to get their foot in the door of digital imaging. The work is fast paced and there is little room for growth for the average employee, so it is not ideal for those looking for a permanent career where you can tread water and expect growth. However, your advancement is directly tied to how well you perform and how much responsibility you are willing to hold, so there is certainly room for advancement if you take the bull by the horns and accept responsibility beyond what you were hired to do.

The hardest part of the job is coming to work every day knowing that a disaster could ensue. High caliber clients lead to high stress.

The most enjoyable part of the job was handling highly historically significant documents, photographs, and other media.

Management, particularly upper management, is the best I have ever experienced in terms of being treated like family. Direct management (supervisors) were more than fair and tried to treat everyone with respect.
Great job
Cargo and Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJanuary 24, 2018
I love working for Crowley people are nice you learn as u go there opportunity to grow with in company they give you good hour and take very good care of them employees
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
poor management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, CTJanuary 23, 2018
they have very poor management, everyone just does whatever they want whenever they want with no repercussions. they use foul language all day. they dont really care about you if its not benefiting them or the business.
Laid-back, hard-working culture that requires teamwork and collaboration.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 7, 2018
Kind, hard-working, but relaxed people who value collaboration and goal setting. Culture and schedules are flexible depending on job title. Workers are not helicoptered by management, but make occasional reports on progress.
It's a job to get a good amount of seatime
QMED Oiler (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 30, 2017
This job allows you to get much seatime if you need seatime. If you are looking to upgrade, they have many opportunites for advancement. The job for me was in Asia, which was a great travel opportunity.
Pros
good seatime
Cons
revolving crew. many people left the job.