Cruise

Cruise Employee Reviews

United States42 reviews
A typical workday included in depth troubleshooting. Ensuring enough useful data had be collected during the shift was paramount. I learned how to manage time more efficiently and provide crucial feedback to other members of staff. The hardest part of the job was staying awake. It was a graveyard shift and there were minimal options to aid drivers. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, and learning how to navigate the streets of San Francisco with precision.
Absolutely terrible company to work at. Very ironic that they talk about valuing people with such a terrible job with toxic culture. The technology is not going anywhere either.
I like the culture at Cruise. I worked for them as a contractor before I became full time and I noticed other former contractors in leadership positions and specialist positions in the company. I like when something doesn't go well or turn out the way we hoped, the emphasis is on solving the problem and not on assigning blame or criticizing anyone's motivation or personality. They are paying all of us during the Shelter-in-place and we get what work done that we can. There is a strong feeling of teamwork and esprit de corp - a little similar to my experience in the Navy.
Pros
Catered meals, equity, excitement, cutting edge technology, fun
Cons
Long commute for me, but generally worth it.
By putting inexperienced people with no management skills in leadership positions you do a great disservice to employees. Perhaps you should attempt to train managers in how to manage people. Cruise was the worst place I have worked in high tech. Back biting, snarky, unsupportive.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Poor people in leadership roles. Bad culture.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
As a contractor, it was a great opportunity to start a career, but not within the company. It was clear that GM had infused Cruise with an elitist mentality that kept FTE and Contractors separate. I had more luck growing at another company with the skills I learned there.
Get into office, things break, fix it, find ways to automate it, profit.

You are requested to do a good job which goes without saying, expectations sometimes is open ended and managers expect you to show success. Failures gets your fired.
poorly managed by a contracting agency. if GM integrated hiring services and offered employees full time benefits instead of the reduced array they offer to contractors this would be the perfect job.
A typical day at work I drive the autonomous vehicle and troubleshoot errors. I enjoy not having to take my work home with me and is a great workplace where everyone is helpful and friendly.
Good review for a company to work for, room advance, good leadership, communication between teams are good. As a overall team everyone works great together
Lots happening with growth and typical start up pains.
Collaborative

Engaging

Great, smart people and culture

Enjoyed my time there

Good perks, food, snacks, events
I was on TA and People. It was easily the worst job and culture I've ever been in. I knew at the interview that it was going to be bad bit someone I trusted that worked there said it wasn't bad. We both left within 4 months of working there.

Recruiting in general is a mess. The leadership is inexperienced and lacks basic leadership ability. All of the managers currently there are not respected by their teams or peers.
I enjoyed my time at Cruise and it provided me with great knowledge and skills for my future jobs. I was very fortunate to get a closer look at AV and how they operate in the real world.
Awful, toxic culture with weak leadership. No work/life balance (e.g., people routinely answer emails at 3 AM, people are expected to answer to Slack messages at all hours). Extremely political environment. Extremely high turnover rate across all levels (including at the executive level).
Good first job, though surrounding by those outside of the mapping space. Very few understand the capabilities of the software, let alone the application of the software for the product.
But pay isn't terrible, and my coworkers were mostly wonderful.
Avoid this place. Yes, it pays pretty well for a simple job. STILL NOT WORTH IT. Toxic work environment and terrible management. Pretty cool go drive around the city though. NOT
I worked as a contractor there for over a year as part of the Ground Truth & Mapping Operations organization. The day-to-day was relatively easy if all you're there for is a mindless hourly position, but if you're hoping to use the contract position to move into and up in the Cruise ranks, then I'd suggest not starting as a contractor and trying to get a full-time position directly with Cruise.

They targeted applicants looking to join Cruise and use the contract positions as a stepping stone to do so. However, the GTM leadership apparently had little to no intention of fostering the careers of their contractors aside from one surprise immediate conversion of a dozen "analysts" at the start of 2018 without any interviews despite a number of other contractors hoping for a chance at a full-time position. After that, contractor relations and morale took a deep dive and never seemed to recover. It felt as if contractors were an unfortunate necessity they were forced to deal with since the automation of data processing and labeling tasks was much more complex than they had anticipated.

Throughout the contract, Cruise management would hint at another round of potential full-time positions, but then time after time those supposed positions were delayed, taken away altogether, or only truly open to external applicants. After several instances of their carrot-dangling ways, we came to realize that the promise of full-time opportunities may have just been a means to elicit higher performance from some contractors so that they would handle projects and duties outside the scope of
 - more...
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Office politics, poor culture, mishandled contracts
Cruise is a good company to work for. Favoritism and politics play a big role in your job security here at Cruise. Which is unfortunate. Thanks for the opportunity.
Pros
Great Compensation
Cons
Bad leadership
There is nothing that could get me to go back to this job. It's taken me nearly 2 months for my central nervous system to settle down to normalcy again. This company provided a terrible work environment with terrible company culture and communication. It felt like being in the twilight zone. Subverted racism as classism is alive and well here. There is absolutely no way to break your way in or become a cruise employee if you are a contractor. People will literally not talk to you day in and day out depending on what your role in the building is. They will not look at you as if this is normal, expected behavior. This is evident among many contractors who have had interactions with Cruise employees. I've heard of multiple Cruise departments pulling bait and switches on their contractor applicants as they are coming in for interviews. Their company culture lives and stays on Slack, and if you're not part of it, then that's it. Very insular, they silo information like any other evil start up and keep information away from the employees. I feel bad for anyone I know that is still stuck there. It was a very mystifying, gaslighting experience and I will never allow any of my friends or family near one of their applications no matter how desperate they are for work. It's not worth it. This job really soured me and my opinion of start-ups and this industry that they are working in as well. They will step on the necks of the working class in the city of San Francisco in order to be the first company to have self-automated products and not let up. They say that they are creating the future, - more...
Pros
no pros, at all.
Cons
Read above. Please don't work here, you are worth more.
Being a contractor has its' limitations with the company. If you were full time however, that is a different story for the work culture at Cruise Automation is centered around that.
A huge waist of time--its literally a game! Interview, background/ Drug test, physical, orientaition, and start... Then Silly driving obstacle course.
Don’t waist your time just walk away, not worth quoting anything permanent. I worked their for 3 months, it’s a complete lack of guidance and managers are too young and too ill experienced
Pros
Snacks
Cons
Managers, lack of exuwith hire up positions