CSX Employee Reviews

Don't do it!!
Yardmaster (Former Employee) –  Waycross, GAJuly 17, 2018
CSX is the only place I've ever worked where the managers seemed to hate their employees and delight in doing everything they could to get rid of them. Constant pressure, absolutely no appreciation for anything, undertrained or untrained managers who didn't understand what your job is, and a 5-inch thick book of rules that mostly contradicted one another. Workplace morale that made you hate going to work every day.
Pros
Good pay, excellent benefits
Cons
No life, no real schedule, no appreciation, no time off
Fast Paced fulfilling career
Assistant Chief of Operations (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 16, 2018
At CSX no two days are alike. I have been fortunate to have a great team to work with. Challenges are tackled head on in a team setting. Management empowers and encourages it's personnel to do the right thing and safety is number one.
The hardest part of the job is that we are a 24 hour operation therefore we work non standard hours to include weekends and holidays.
Pros
Outstanding Benefits and people
Cons
24hr operations to include holidays and weekends
Make a good living.
OPERATOR/CLERK (Former Employee) –  Washington Park, ILJuly 14, 2018
I lined trains on the tracks ,gave signals, the trains would move through the tracks into the rail yard. I learned how to managed multiple trains and at the same time making sure they moved in a safe manner. I enjoyed the challenge of the job, with little supervision.
Pros
Challenging and enjoyable.
Cons
24/7 operation, once on the job couldn't leave.
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2018
long hours. you will have no work life balance. on call 24/7 in a stressful environment Forced to work sick/ on holidays. Never get to sleep ever again
Safe and productive
Intermodal service worker (Former Employee) –  Winter Haven, FLJuly 11, 2018
Over all its a great job to have. Good people there to work with. But the company can be u fair when it comes to you screwing up. More hours then you wont some times.
Poor labor conditions
laborer duties (Former Employee) –  Oregon, OHJuly 9, 2018
It was a great company until about two years ago. now its nothing but cutthroat. Poor management and lack of communication. There only out for the shareholders. Closing or cutting entire workforces at every facility, not meeting demand of customers.
Another day another $.50
Office Administrator and Recorder (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, SC 29646July 9, 2018
Company doesn't care about employees. Worked for 18 years. Only got worse. Honest employees,hard working, we're left out in the cold to save money, company doesn't understand if they do employees right the company will flourish because the employees will flourish.
Pros
Benefits are better than most companies
Cons
Cutting jobs, over working employees in hostile work environments
You better be single and have no social life
Pier tech (Former Employee) –  Curtis Bay, MDJuly 5, 2018
At the Curtis bay coal pier you will work four 16 hour days then an 8 hour day. Followed by four more 16 hour days with no end in sight. I was a pier tech there and while it is a great place to work, it is literally all you will do. People with more seniority will not help you out and pick up shifts you will be forced to work every day with no end in sight. They will say think of all the money your making but you won't care you'll just want a day off. Then as soon as the coal business slows down you'll get your day off in the form of a pink slip
Pros
Make a lot of money
Cons
Work 16 hours everyday till you die
track supervisor
Roadmaster I (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 2, 2018
typical day get on a phone conferance at 0600 that would last about 40 mins. after that check your work plan for the day. brief your guys, get them safety supplies. once they're out the door answer emails, check you defects, catch up on computer work.
once completed make sure your guys are getting the track time they need. then i'd walk track or hi rail with inspector, walk industries, or check up on work that was recently completed.
Pros
make your own schedule.
Cons
the hours, derailments, no one wants to come out after hours
CSX Intermoday is a way of life.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 27, 2018
CSX Intermodal taught me the balance between the terminal and the rail. I learned how to take union crews and work trains. The experience was very valuable.
Slave to the job
Engineer/Conductor (Current Employee) –  Etowah, TNJune 25, 2018
Work all the time. Never enough family time. Sleeping in motels. Work nights weekends holidays. Strict Attendance policy. Your just a number. Management is cutt throat. Whatever it takes to move up.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Life/work balance is terrible
Stay far away!
Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 22, 2018
CSX appears to be a good company to work for. However, every few years they purge their employees by the 100s just to increase company profits. They care nothing about American workers and their families. The last purge was 2017-2018 and over 3 thousand CSX employees lost their jobs all to raise stock prices.

I recommend all searching for a good corporation to work for, STAY FAR AWAY from CSX Transportation...

What may look good to you, isn’t always good for you!
Pros
They offer a pension along with other retirement benefits.
Cons
They terminate their employees every few years to raise their stock prices.
derp
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Garrett, INJune 21, 2018
hope you don't mind if your wife cheats on you and blows all your mioney and you will never see your kids, say goodbye to birthdays and holidays and weekends unless you use FMLA all the time
Conductor
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Russell, KYJune 18, 2018
Crew member on a mainline road train. The train crew would complete round trip over the road transfer of material and cargo. Long hours away from home.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Long unpredictable hours
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 17, 2018
Typical work day 12 hours,learned how to manage time well,management was helpful,culture of the place was nice,hardest part of the job being traveling alot,most enjoyable part working outside in all weather conditions.
great Job
Human Resource Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 16, 2018
this was a temporary position to assist CSX with open enrollment for retired employees.
Training was great and learned a lot about CSX benefits which motivated me to apply for a permanent position.
Pros
great opportunity to learn more about the company
Cons
temporary position
This was a fun job that paid very well
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 14, 2018
If I could do it all again, I would in a heartbeat. I was fired from CSX Transportation because of a serious rules violation, which forced them to dismiss me.
Pros
Great pay
Great work place culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 14, 2018
My typical day was very manageable. I was able to prioritize my workload and help my team daily. Management was very supportive and led the way for advancement.
Not for the man or woman with a life or family
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 13, 2018
If you plan on seeing your family or having any kind of social life at all this is not a job for you. The pay and benefits are unmatched anywhere else in the blue collar world but you pay a STEEP price for them.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
LONG LONG hours. Time away from home (200+ days a year or more)
Terrible management
Signalman/Signal Maintainer (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 8, 2018
There is something better, keep looking. Was a good company at one time, that has all changed. Many angry people waiting on retirement. I heard managers tell workers "If you want a friend here--bring one with you". Very negative atmosphere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CSX. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.4Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight