CubeSmart Employee Reviews

Unorganized
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, TXOctober 20, 2018
Fast paced but can also be slow on rainy days and such, upper management is horrible and will nag you about things that need to be done on the property but will not approve them once you request them. There is a constant dm shuffle and anytime you need information or help there is no one ever available until days later so your customers are mad at you for not being able to help them when really upper management isn’t allowing you to do so.
Office Job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Slidell, LAOctober 8, 2018
A typical day at this job is pretty easy going but once again i run into a bad management. But overall i like my job i like helping people and the goals they set for us to make bonus motivates the two of us in the office to exceed the goals every month.
Great place to work if you are trying to get somewhere
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pembroke Pines, FLOctober 6, 2018
Working at CubeSmart can be very productive. Some days will consist of a lot of customer moving into storage units. You learned how to manage with people attitudes and also get to build a relationship with teammates and customers.
Pros
Pay, Pto, Hours
Cons
Schedule depends on manager
Fun Place to Work
Field Training Specialist/General Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Villa Rica, GAOctober 3, 2018
CubeSmart is a good place to work. The pay is definitely better than most storage facilities and their WOW culture is amazing. Also there is room for advancement if prove yourself to be worthy of getting the job done. I would definitely recommend CubeSmart as a place to work.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Bonus Structure
Over worked, paid well but anxiety is real in this company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 27, 2018
Working for this company gave me the chance to learn a lot from the business for future jobs but it was a mission. You work alone most of the time and the drama in the company causes anxiety. I left this stable well paying job due to that reason. It’s a great job as part time but if you do full time you will never have a life.
Cons
Short breaks, bonus system does not work, work every holiday
Very produtive and you meet some VERY INTERSETING people
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 16, 2018
I worked for Cubesmart for almost 2 years. I left the company to go back to my old job with more pay. Which in turn was a bad decision because I got laid off. If you are looking for a Retirement Job with 401-K, Cubesmart is a great company to do that with. Hind site is always 20-20. Had I stayed I'd be going 3 years. No job is perfect. If you apply for a Retail job don't expect weekends off. They tell you this up front in the interview. You can request a weekend but you have to get a co-worker from a sister property in your district to agree. If your GM is cool, they will cover. I missed a lot of events during my tenure with Cubesmart but that doesn't compare to Job Stability. Overall I say this is a GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR!!!
Pros
Days off during the week, busy and laid back
Cons
It depends who your GM and DM are. Other than that...NONE
No Loyalty to Customers or Employees
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MISeptember 12, 2018
This is my second attempt at leaving a review for this company. Maybe this time it will actually show up. I began working in the storage business with a company called Storage Pros. After about a year the owners of Storage Pros decided they wanted less responsibility. They brought in CubeSmart as a management company for the bulk of their properties. CubeSmart decided they wanted to keep as many of the local property managers and assistant property managers as possible. They sold themselves to us as the great savior in storage. This meant higher wages, benefits that weren’t offered to us as Storage Pros employees, more staff at the locations for a less stressful work environment. This would also mean I wouldn’t have to be a floating manager anymore, splitting my time between 4 different properties. These were all huge pluses to me and for the most part these promises were delivered on. At least for a little while. I did get a raise when they took over. Benefits were there to be had even if they were kind of too expensive to be worth it. I became dedicate to the location I wanted and no longer had to cover at the other properties. A third person was hired for our office to make things a little easier. In the beginning my only real issue with CubeSmart was they touted themselves as the premier customer service oriented self storage company, but their idea of customer service wasn’t actual customer service. It was shoving their 6 s’s down our throats none of which really have anything to do with actual customer service. They are mainly just common pleasentries such as standing  more... to greet the customer, preferably by strolling around the counter to open the door when we see them coming so as to eliminate barriers between us and the customer, smiling, shaking their hand etc. Sure these are great things to make you stand out to your customer, but they aren’t customer service. When it came to situations that actually required customer service CubeSmart upper management was less than useless in fact more often than not they made situations worse. I had an elderly customer on a fixed income who had been storing with one of our properties since 2006. This customer was already paying well above the standard rate for new move ins, but for some inexplicable reason the powers to be at CubeSmart deemed it nessacary to raise this customers rent another $40 a month in one shot nevermind that this would put them above the standard rate for a storage unit one step LARGER than what they were already in. One of our first trouble shooting steps when dealing with a customer who is upset about a rate increase is seeing if we can transfer them down a size, but here I am put in a position where it’s fesible for me to tell this elderly lady and her equally elderly sister “hey if your willing to pull all your stuff from a unit the size of a one car garage I can transfer you to an ever bigger unit for cheaper.” Now some might look at this as upselling them. The problem is whoever we get to replace them in their old unit would be paying $100 less than what they were paying cause they were already paying above standard rate. I explain to my DM that every option other than dismissing the rate increase is going to lose the company revenue. Either these loyal long time customers are going to take their business elsewhere or they elect to transfer to a cheaper unit and whoever we get to replace them is going to be paying far less. Now to me if you are a company that is contstantly talking up your customer service game and dropping all these supposed awards your company has won this is a no brainer you dismiss this customers increase which saves you loosing out on the excess revenue you already get from that customer and you also create a lot of good will between you and the nice old ladies who in over 10 years have never been late or caused any problems and who you can nownlikely solicit a good review from. For CubeSmart and our DM though this wasn’t good enough. Their response is to tell me to come back at these ladies with a counter offer of waiving half the rate increase. I again tried to appeal to my DM’s common sense. I explain the only thing this offer is going to accomplish is to offend these ladies who have already expressed that they are on a fixed income. My DMs response “ If you present it in a positive way so too will the customer be positive”. No they weren’t and they are no longer CubeSmart customers. This is but one of many, many, many similar examples. They would also rather auction a customers belongings than allow the customer to do a payment arrangement even when the customer is offering to make a payment that is far more than what we are likely to get at auction. This is not only bad customer service it’s bad business in general. I understand that the purpose of a business is to make money and that rate increases are needed to offset rising costs of doing business, but you need to exercise common sense. Don’t raise someone’s rent so high that they can get a larger unit for cheaper, don’t turn away a larger amount of money in favor of taking less at auction and risking bad reviews from customers when you claim to pride yourself on those reviews. These are just a few ways this company has shown itself to have no loyalty or appreciation for its customers. They aren’t any better with their employees. They are condescending and treat their property staff as though we are idiots. They are also constantly treating us as though we are trying to cheat them. I made arrangements to take some vacation time with one of my co-workers. I submitted my request to 4 different people in upper management cause at the time our DM position was in transition. I only received a reply from one of those individuals and it was a short and condescending reply that he wasn’t the person to be submitting it to even though he was technically my acting DM and the person who had been approving my time card for over a month. Two more times in the next couple weeks leading to my vacation I sent emails regarding it, finally getting the go ahead from one manager to add it to the schedule and also a request from the woman who was going to be our new DM to send the schedule to her after I made the adjustments. Fast forward to me returning from vacation to find that the initial guy who told me he wasn’t the one to ask about using my vacation had gone into my time card and denied my PTO. When I emailed him he again gets condescending with me telling me it has to go through the new DM. Except there is no way submit for the PTO to a specific individual. So rather than get into an email argument with this guy I instead email the new DM. Who if you have read this far you will remember was made aware of my vacation time and even asked me to send her a copy of the updated schedule. I email her and explain the situation and ask if she has access yet to be able to go in and approve my PTO so I can get paid for it. Her response is a condescending reply of “let me get this straight you took an unapproved vacation?” This same lady would eventually fire me for mistakenly selecting the incorrect date on my time card for a day that I did a bank run even though I let her know as soon as I was aware of the mistake. Something that could have easily been handled with a “thank you for letting me know I will remove that day and in the future please be more aware of what you have logged on your time card before submitting it”. Mind this wasn’t as if I had put that I worked on a day I didn’t. I submitted for mileage reimbursement and clicked the wrong date. She hadn’t even approved the time card yet when I let her know. So many more examples of poorly this company treats employees, not just myself. However this review is almost as long as some college papers. It is unfortunate cause I honestly really liked the job and my co-workers at the facility level.  less
Manager (Former Employee) –  North Highlands, CASeptember 5, 2018
Daily tasks to start.. Process leases, and payments, daily meetings or emails, a lot of tasks for Manager daily. Kept me busy.

I learned all aspects of the company. hardest part of the job was customer complaints with rent increases, and fees. Also having to maintain some of the property maintenance.

Most enjoyable part was of course my customers.
Benefits
Cons
Company doesn't care about employees safety/ pay
Great Job with room for advancement
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Frisco, TXSeptember 5, 2018
I started as a store manager and was promoted to general manager within 6 months of employment. As a General Manager I lived on site and ran my own property. The job has given me tons of experience in different areas.
Pros
on-site apartment for General Manager, healthcare
Cons
Work Weekends, Short Breaks, on call 24-7
My Review
Facility Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYSeptember 5, 2018
My time at CubeSmart was a defining one, having been part of the company for over five years and without condemning or speaking ill, I simply say that is truly a corporately structured company.
Pros
Work for pay
Cons
Stability
Easy Segway Job
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLSeptember 2, 2018
This job is great! It is a great Segway job into a more mature line of work. They ask a lot out of the pay, but the pay is great. They recently started promoting within, which is how I got promoted. You work closely with all teammates and the District Manager provides weekly meetings and visits so you can ask any questions about higher authority that you can't simply state over an e-mail. I was always following up on orders and incidents on these weekly check-ups.
Pros
predictable, bonuses
Cons
work/life balance
Pay is subpar
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 1, 2018
Pay is low for the amount of work expected. Newest thing are how to videos for staff to take care of maintenance such as roof repairs. Bonuses have changed and not for the betterment of the employees. If they would take good care of their employees, the employees would, in turn, take care of their customers.
Pros
Hmmmmm...
Cons
Pay, bonuses, management is greedy
Productive and enjoyable.
store Manager (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 28, 2018
It was a great field to gain customer service in. It always consisted of a variety of different customers with different needs that required to be met with assistance from us.
This a good company
Manager (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 23, 2018
CubeSmart is a good company, they always had a great promotion going on to help the public. They offered free move-in with a free truck to help thoughs in need.
Relaxed fun job
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Warrenton, VAAugust 20, 2018
I enjoyed my job at Cubesmart, it was relaxed and steady. The benefits were decent and the company hired from within their employees. The management is great for if you have questions or need help with anything. It's a great place to work if you're looking for a desk job with a little bit of fun tasks such as storage unit cleaning and inspecting along with inspecting the company vehicle for rentals. I actually regret leaving and have been trying to get back ever since honestly.
Pros
Great benefits, excellent work/life balance, no sales goals but commission, great hours, excellent management
Cons
short breaks, so-so pay
Terrible place to work
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 20, 2018
The people who they employ are really bad and the salary is so low, it makes sense that they pretty much accept anyone with a pulse and no drugs in their system.
Pros
You get to walk a lot and the job is not boring
Cons
Pay is just above minimum wage, very short breaks and you have to use you own vechicle for bank runs.
Cut throat Management
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 20, 2018
Worked with this company for 5 years. I had to work every single Saturday and Sunday because the General Manager had weekend off. You have no life working at this company.

The bonus structure is a joke. I never seen a bonus! Also you are forced to work out side in any weather condition, laying mulch, painting, sholving snow, cleaning ect, and no I was not maintaince. I was a office Manager!

This company does not care about your well being. All they care about is themselves while you work hard with little pay and the upper mangament recieve all the rewards and good pay.

Before you consider working for CubeSmart, please look at other storage facilities. Theres plenty out there that offer you better pay and benifits and treat you with respect. I wish I had done this sooner!

Good Luck!
Pros
Cons
Healthcare
Customer Service with chances to leave the office
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 18, 2018
CubeSmart has a great culture they try to instill and customers seem to respond well. Expect to work hard to gain and retain customers, but nothing strenuous or overreaching. Keeping the store clean is extremely important so don't be afraid of doing a minor cleaning tasks daily. Good time management is key as there will be some days that are slower than others and tasks that need to be done.

The hardest part of the job is usually just trying to keep up with the constant movement of customers throughout the store. Maintaining composure and completing daily reports promptly helps to stay on top of things.

This is a great job to work around schedules for grad school as I was able can bank in some weekend shifts and move my "weekends" to days of midweek when I attended classes.
Pros
good training, supportive company culture, competitive pay, good benefits, store bonus opportunities, fairly flexible hours
Cons
management is not always available on weekends, which are the busiest days
CubeSmart
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Portage, MIAugust 10, 2018
Overview of Pay Period is Friday to Thursday. Unlike most 40 hour jobs where you have a full 2 days off in a row on Saturday and Sunday, you don't working for CubeSmart. You work a half day Sunday which only gives you a half day off and full day off which might not even be in a row. This leaves you as the employee exhausted, with the feeling that you live at work. Depending on your Manager you can rotate the weekends, but overall this makes it hard for a work life balance.

A typical day involves opening and closing the store, property inspections, handling customer move in and move outs, customer payments, collection calls, and misc. customer relations. The atmosphere is busy depending on your location. There is use of power tools for lock removal and working with the overhead doors.
Cons
Working a Half day Sunday giving a half day off, Non-Consecutive 2 days off in a row = No work life balance.
Great place to gain experience but not long term
Store Manager I (Former Employee) –  Woonsocket, RIJuly 31, 2018
There is a crazy overturn of employees and the job especially in the winter time is extremely rough. The company cares more about making a profit then the employees hence why most stores are down to one person but it is a minimum two person job..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CubeSmart. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.5InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight