Culinary Institute of America Employee Reviews

Great
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYMarch 6, 2018
Love the students, also love that the job is fast paste. Enjoyed working with everyone, and making the company happy, by following all of the requirements, and not having a problem helping others when I completed my task.
Pros
The environment
Cons
The instructors
Enjoyed the job and co-workers
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYFebruary 21, 2018
I enjoyed my job and ,my co workers, but that's about where it ends. Management was not clear and changed their direction often. They were not transparent and therefore not trusted. Plenty of people were loyal to the CIA and gave over 100%. Unfortunately people matter little to this organization anymore. The focus is money and not much else.
Great place to work and go to school
Executive Chef In Training (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 11, 2017
While attending the CIA I had a great experience. The staff is very knowledgeable and i learned a great deal. Would highly reccomend attending this school.
Pros
Too many to list
Cons
Long hours some times and very competitive
Beautiful campus.
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYNovember 17, 2017
Mass layoffs and severe mismanagement have really tarnished the once great institute. The students deserve better. Facilities workers showed pride in their work. The campus was beautiful year round.
Cons
Incompetent, overpaid management. Many jobs being eliminated or outsourced.
CIA is not a career move unless you are a chef instructor
American Bounty Temp (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYNovember 14, 2017
The school pumps out cooks and also produces their own employees essentially. You are easily lost in the crowd. You will find great mentors but the restaurant management seems money hungry
Pros
It’s the culinary institute of america
Cons
It’s the culinary institute of American
Alright
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXNovember 7, 2017
Working here was fun, I enjoyed myself. The coworkers and customers were great, management was alright. Pay and hours were great though! One thing for the other.
Overworked and Underpaid
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYOctober 30, 2017
Not worth the things you have to go through, while paying living expenses and student loans. Very little leadership from higher ups, but direct collegues are great people.
Daily work
Campus Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYOctober 5, 2017
My typical day was setting up and breaking down for events. Moved office furniture and kitchen equipment when needed. Assisted grounds department in the winter- shoveling and plowing snow.
Most enjoyable of the job was the many people I worked with.
Standard student working environment
Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYOctober 1, 2017
The CIA was a convenient and pleasant place to work as a student on campus. As a student employee, I felt like I was a valued member of each of the departments I worked in.
Great place to learn a lot.
Expediter (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, New YorkSeptember 23, 2017
The typical day involved many hours standing on your feet and racing to keep up with what needed to be accomplished. However throughout each day you would learn a lot.
Fun work place
Culinary Arts Student (Former Employee) –  Scotch Plains, NJAugust 11, 2017
When i started working for this school. I was so scared. But I really enjoyed myself at this school. I hope on day I can find a better job doing this.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Shorts breaks
worked through a staffing agency...
Server/Runner (Former Employee) –  Napa Valley, CAAugust 3, 2017
I worked for CIA through a staffing agency and my overall experience was great. money was good, work was consistent and the server captains at the time were respectable and managed well.
A pleasure
Spanish Professor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJuly 12, 2017
Working with young adults can be pretty challenging, but my experience from teaching has been a rewarding experience and at the end of the day, I feel that i have made a positive difference in their lives by teaching them about another language and other cultures in other parts of the world.
Pros
The feeling of accomplishment from helping a student with his/her academic needs and also the food.
Cons
no real issues
Great environment and got to meet a lot of people
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJune 12, 2017
Meets with students with any emotional or academic issues they have while on campus
Helps peers with their organization and time management skills
Assists incoming bachelor’s student to register and organize their classes
Reviews students cover letters, resume and references for externship and future career
Organizes and Participates in programs on campus such as free resume printing, academic workshops, etc.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Horrendous-on-the-Hudson
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 26, 2017
Where do I begin? There are many talented and exceptional employees, however, the management and cabinet are horrendous resulting in a toxic environment. This once beautiful institute, is now horribly tarnished because indifferent, incompetent, imbeciles are allowed to run this school into the ground. The world's premier culinary college, where only the best of the best were admitted, has now become a high priced cooking school with most graduates struggling to find employment and to pay off outrageous loans.
Pros
Pretty Campus
Cons
Vile Environment
Long-term Employee
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 26, 2017
The CIA used to be a great place to work. There are many talented and exceptional employees, however, the management and cabinet are horrendous resulting in a toxic environment. Sad that such a beautiful facade hides the ugliness that lies within.
Pros
Some great employees
Cons
Everything else
School
Chef, expo, server (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYApril 4, 2017
I did multiple jobs here while attending school. It is a good place to work. The management is very friendly and very knowledgeable. A place I would consider working again.
Very Corporate
Safety Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYMarch 21, 2017
Company was not too bad to work, but not easy for a person with a young child, especially in a position that can be very demanding.

There is some very nice people working there, my husband is still there and its almost 29 years.
Challenging
Prep Cook and Server (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJanuary 25, 2017
The Culinary Institute of America is a college that is built around its knowledgeable staff who is dedicated to teaching young culinary ones who want to succeed in the restaurant industry
Pros
rewarding
Cons
Short breaks
A good place to work
Manager of Engineering Operations (Former Employee) –  Hyde Park, NYJanuary 6, 2017
The CIA is a wonderful employer. Benefits are exceptional. My supervisor was demanding, expecting full attention to the work. He was fair in his evaluations of my work and showed empathy and concern for his direct reports.