Culinary Services Group Employee Reviews

I would not recommend it
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NCJuly 30, 2019
They keep you on part time by saying there are no full time positions available, which is not true because there is maybe two people on full time! They just do not want to give anyone benefits! They work you half to death and give you full time hours with little pay! This company is charging residents way too much to only give you 8.25! My supervisor makes 8 cent more than me and he has been here 5 years! That should tell you something about how this company treats the people that are loyal to them. Management has changed more times than I can count but its still having the same problem so that also says alot. In general I love the daily tasks and working with the residents if i could take the job and not work for this compan i would
Cons
NO breaks
Terrible place to work don’t waste your time
Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJuly 17, 2019
This place was a real headache and I love cooking but this place all most forced me out of the cooking field all together . They put all the work on me spent a lot of late nights in this place. They always messed up my pay. I have been a cook for 20 years this is the worst place I have ever been employed at I promise. I am so thankful it’s over.
Interesting job if training was taken seriously by both sides.
Cook Supervisor and Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCJune 1, 2019
- Make breakfast, start lunch, serve breakfast as quick as possible, while washing your own dishes to reuse for continued lunch. Make lunch, serve lunch as quick as possible, take 30min break. Wash dishes and leave.
- Training was a joke, very poorly taught/described how to work threw a tight schedule with what little food/time was given. Never trained on how to properly run the cook position and then expected to be the cook and supervisor of the whole kitchen.
- Recipes that were given, asked for items that were never present.
- Management seemed oblivious to the environment of the kitchen and what was expected of everyone. Poor management skills were executed. You are not spoken to like an equal, more like a child who is constantly in trouble for not knowing what to do because they were poorly trained but management does not know that simple fact, so rather than build you into what they need, they just tell you to do this and that without ever truly explaining anything.
- Workplace was great concerning the co-employees. They were the only reason worth staying and were a very understanding, tight and yet accepting bunch.
- Hardest part of the job was time simply put. You didn't have a lot of it and were expected to do a lot with very little. Normally that's not an issue with me, but this place was trying to make more food than it had the equipment for.
- Most enjoyable part of the job: being told repeatedly that my food looked/tasted better than previous/current cooks.
Pros
Work Culture, Free Food
Cons
Management and Training
Worst job I ever had
Dining room coordinator (Former Employee) –  York, PAMay 29, 2019
Horrible management, will fire you for anything. They do not care about residents. Just care about getting a paycheck. Horrible turnover. Do not treat employees well, talk down to them.
Pros
Great pay for DRC
Cons
Poor management
Worst place in America
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 18, 2019
Was terminated while in training ... job is wack if I could turn back time wish I never worked there ... no leadership no room for growth ... just do stuff without letting you know like cut your hours ... kinda glad I dont work it was more favoritism than anything ... I wish anyone the best when they work there
Pros
Cook what want
Cons
Really poor management and poor pay ... manager stays in the office all day
May 24, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Culinary Services Group strives to nurture respectful communication between all team members. We value your feedback and it will be used to improve our training processes.

Food Service Director
Food Service Director (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 24, 2019
I was currently working with this employer at a multi unit multi- client operation in Dayton, OH. This account has various amounts of care and requires a skilled Food Service Director.This is is a stressful account many clients are not receiving the quality and care they deserve. Culinary Services Group focuses on pushing products and services on clients they are not requesting. Management does not listen to Food Service Director on the correct approach to make clients satisfied with services. Accounts are handled like a senior living long term facility but the account is a short term acute hospital.Fluctuating census and population deems this account not viable on current business model. If you apply for this position as a food service director be prepared for long work hours and poor upper management support. Currently before I was terminated I was working 13 days straight 12 hour shifts. No work life balance was provided and the expectations of the Food Service Director are unreasonable. Salary compared to amount of hours worked is outrageous. Salary is currently set at 58000 dollars and a salaried worker will received about 2 dollars an hour with hours worked. PPD is set to 5 dollars but books are reflecting 4 dollars to make account viable and profitable but Food Service Director is criticized for not meeting expectations. Candidate pools for qualified workers in the Dayton area poor and leave the Food Service Director covering many shifts. I highly recommend not actively seeking employment with this company. They speak of company culture, and advancements within their  more... company but do not live up to expectations. Seek employment else where if you wish to succeed in this field. I highly recommend seeking employment else where.  less
Pros
Cons
Poor Benefits, Low Pay, High Expectations, Poor Culture, No Work/Life balance
May 24, 2019

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Culinary Services Group's goals are to exceed customer expectations and provide all team members with the resources to be successful. Your experience does not fall in line with these goals or the experience we strive to create for all of our team members. Your comments will be used to improve overall employee experience.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Don't bother
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAApril 1, 2019
CSG is full of lies they say it's competitive wages but it's not it's only 10.00 an HR and it doesn't matter if you have experience you'll still only at 10 an hr. My manager doesn't know what he's doing, he just sits in his office and does absolutely nothing the whole day and when he does get out of the office he harasses his employees to the point where they quit. If you are thinking of applying here stay clear
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Everything else
May 24, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. Culinary Services Group's goal during the hiring process is to be transparent and give an accurate representation of team member expectations. We hold our management team to a high standard and rely on information from our team members to accurately assess their performance. Please reach out to your HR Partner (Collin) to share these observations.

It’s ok
Server (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDFebruary 17, 2019
I like it I just would like to work more hrs and be getting paid way more than what I’m actually getting but overall it’s cool I love working with the older people
May 24, 2019

Thank you for your positive feedback! We're glad to have you onboard!

Amazing
Diet Aide, Cook (Former Employee) –  Laurinburg, NCJanuary 28, 2019
Working here was the best! The staff was perfect, the manager was so laid back and understanding. The hardest part of the job is scraping trays, and rinsing them. But, overall this is the easiest job ever, I really miss working for them.
Pros
free food
May 24, 2019

Glad to hear your experience working with us was so positive! Please consider working with us again in the future should the opportunity arise.

Poor Management/ Very Unprofessional
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 22, 2019
I started with the company 3 years ago, there is room to move up but the professionalism & management is very poor! I did a lot personally for the company in my 3 years there but sadly i was terminated due to the point system & the director. Management is horrible! The turnover rate of employees are horrible! Employees & managemet do not last long AT ALL due to lack of training & consistency. Employees are lazy new employees catch bad habits, food product is hardly ever stocked for a full week. Cleanliness isn’t stressed as it should be, hair nets aren’t worn, gloves aren’t worn when working with food. CSG is not a good place to work save yourself the headache & unecessary drama!
Pros
Good hours, competitive pay
Cons
Poor management/ lazy non consistent employees
May 24, 2019

We appreciate your review and perspective. Culinary Services Group assess leadership by using feedback from our team members to evaluate their performance. These comments are very valuable to us and we will use it to improve our leadership development processes.

So far so good.
Culinary Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 16, 2019
I have not been employed at CUlinary Service Group for long, but from the time the interviewing process began I have felt the professionalism and kindness from the staff. I was a bit intimidated, because after reading some of the reviews I was like “what am I getting myself into.” So frame so good. I am learning my position as a chef manager and am looking forward to advancing my career within this company. The recruiting process was detailed and the Senior Talent Corrdinator made things comfortable and she was engaged from beginning to end. Everyone is not going to have the same views, but I get fair pay for cost of living and a nice vacation incentive. The staff is hardworking and my director is a very professional and ethical person. I look forward to continuing to work for him at his site and developing myself professionally.
Pros
Ethical, professional, clean kitchen and caring.
January 21, 2019

We are glad to hear about your positive experience, thank you for sharing!

Good place, bad company.
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkin, NCJanuary 5, 2019
I read the recent reviews. Spot on and nothing has seemed to change. Horrible management. Terrible company. Staff that was currently there is excellent. Everything from director up is a wash.
Pros
Pay is ok for the area. Compared to the hours not worth it.
Cons
No proper training, no standard, and terrible leadership.
January 21, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback- we will use it to improve training and processes. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

One of my worst working experiences ever
Clinical Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHDecember 29, 2018
I was hired on as salary management, and was told it would be a 40-45 hour work week. My first month there I had to work Christmas and New Year's day with no additional compensation or an additional day off for working the holiday. My manager was vastly under qualified holding none of my degrees or certifications along with zero healthcare experience and had created an environment of chaos before my hiring. I stuck it out working an average of 55-60 hours per week with no breaks. HR is in charge of hiring in a completely different state and drug their feet filling positions because it didn't affect their day to day. The final straw was when an intoxicated employee came in hostile threatening physical violence on staff when he was asked to leave. Eventually security escorted him out, and at this point I gathered staff written accounts to give to hr so the employee would be fired and trespassed. When explaining to HR the situation I was asked if he was a strong employee, needless to say I was shocked. Over the next 24 hours I spoke with them about the incident and was spoken too like I had done something improper, and the employee was only going to be suspended. I resigned at this point after being thoroughly insulted and feeling that employee safety was an afterthought. Eventually I heard the employees demanded that employee be let go and the company did fire him. The owners seemed nice, but the HR department were some of worst I have come across. I was also worked into the ground making far less than the cooks if you factor in potential OT pay.
Pros
Makes my current job seem like a dream job
Cons
The despair of having to go to work there
December 31, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review- we appreciate even negative feedback as we continually strive for excellence in serving our communities and employees. We're sorry to hear your experience wasn't representative of the CSG culture we hope to create and wish you the best in all your future endeavors.

Fun, positive work environment
Home office (Current Employee) –  CorporateSeptember 17, 2018
My time at CSG shaped what I will look for in a career moving forward. There’s a great emphasis placed on Work/life balance, much more so than at other companies. It is a growing and changing company, so some policies are still evolving, but the direction is good and there’s a lot of potential to grow and progress. Being with a smaller company means there’s opportunity to affect change and play a real role in the company’s identity.
Pros
Supportive teammates, fun culture
November 5, 2018

We're pleased that you've found satisfaction with CSG! We look forward to future feedback.

Fun place to work and great co-workers
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 15, 2018
Not a great place to work. There is very little management involvement in the work related activities. There is little room for advancement within the company as well.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
No advancement
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your feedback- we are continuously working to improve and feedback like this supports that goal. We wish the best for your future endeavors!

hectic
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 1, 2018
under staffed for wages. Management should be more hands-on to see what the issues are that makes productivity limited. feel unappreciated and over worked.
Pros
convient location
Cons
no breaks
November 5, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience. We're here to help you with any specific issues- please contact your HR partner at our home office (443-293-7434).

Terrible Area Management
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkin, NCAugust 18, 2018
Loved my job I worked there for 2 years started as a dishwasher then moved to a cook and finished as a Manager. Thier is definitely room to grow within the company but don't expect much of a pay increase. They definitely don't train thier managers or really even thier hourly staff it's more of a hands on learning experience. Had alot of issues with the Area Managers they constantly over looked issues we had at our location unless it benefited them in some way. They asked more and more of me but didn't want to give a raise or even care to explain how to do what they where asking me to do but would complain when it was done incorrectly. I do have to say though I had the best crew of staff they where very dedicated and with out them I would have never made it.
Pros
Cons
Managment
November 5, 2018

We appreciate your comments and are glad to hear about the positive elements of your time with us. We prioritize employee development and are updating our training processes.

Stay Away, Not worth the time or stress
Dining Room Coordinator (Former Employee) –  York, PAAugust 16, 2018
I was Dining Room Coordinator For 5 mths.This company is absolutely the worse company I have ever worked for. The management changed every few months and they have no clue on how to run a businessl. Most of the workers call off all the time and and also are very disrespectful to the supervisors. The nursing home that contracted them out to provide dietary services for them on a daily basis provided a dozen things that they were doing incorrectly and would never fix it. They have a 3 year contract with them and just hit a ur and I had multiple nurses and nursing supervisors tell me they will not renew the contract. This was by far the most stressful, hostile, and dirty place I have worked for in my life and I am in my 40’s . They’re other Dining Doom Coordinator is late every day calls off all the time and takes days off monthly leaving you to have to work extra. You work 12 hrs days with one week being 36 hrs and the other being 48 hours. So you are salaried and they expect you to work one 80 hrs in your 2 weeks. Hope this helps it’s not worth the hassle or stress to work for this company. They have lost many higher ups and lose workers on a daily basis due to management and their disrespectful antics.
Pros
Building relationships with the
Cons
Horrible management and Hostile work environment
November 5, 2018

Thank you for your insights. We're sorry to hear about this negative experience and will use constructive pieces of criticism to continue bettering the lives of our team members.

Comfortable environment
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJune 26, 2018
The overall job is a wonderful job. I love what I do and I love where I work. In the past 2 years we have accomplished so many new things and gained so many new team members. We became a big family.
November 5, 2018

We love hearing about your time with Culinary Services Group! Thank you for being a positive member of our team.

Great environment to build
Utility Worker/Server (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 11, 2018
Spring well CSG is a great place to work and also to visit. The people there are always jubilant and have positive spirits. They also have a strong team work ethic.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Culinary Services Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8