Cumberland Hospital for Children and Adolescents

Cumberland Hospital for Children and Adolescents Employee Reviews

The bonus is a huge lie!!!
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  New Kent, VAJanuary 29, 2019
This company will find any little reason to not give you that bonus they promise. Soooo many people quit for that reason. Worst management ever! The old staff bullies the new staff to the point of exhaustion and management does nothing about it.
Proceed with caution
Behavior technician (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VADecember 2, 2018
I worked as a tech on RTC for about 10 months. I loved the kids but management is awful. As a BT with a 4 year psychology degree, I was making $11.50. I could have gone to Target and made more than that. It is one of the only places that will hire without already having direct care experience in the mental health field, which is why I took the job. I needed some experience after graduation to get my foot in the door of the mental health field. I liked most of my coworkers, although the ones who have been there for a while definitely are shown favoritism. They can leave the unit for extended periods of time, leaving the other tech by themselves with 10-15 kids...and nothing is done by management. It is truly an unsafe work environment. The kids can be super aggressive (which is to be expected), but there is absolutely no security at the hospital. If a kid punches you in the face, literally nothing happens. Mandation is also excessive- they will wait until the end of your shift to tell you that you are forced to stay another 8 hours (or you are fired). And then you are expected to come back the next day for your next shift. And if you are lucky enough to not get mandated, they will constantly blow your phone up on what was supposed to be your day off. They are relentless. If you REALLY need psych experience, you will definitely get it here. But you will probably also get a lot of other experiences here that you wish you wouldn’t have. Be careful. They will drain you until you have nothing left to give. Which is a shame, especially for employees who are just starting out in the  more... field- don’t let a negative experience here deter you from working with this population. There are much better, more ethical, positive places that serve the same type of patients and are much safer places to be.  less
Pros
Making a difference for the kids, some good coworkers
Cons
Mandation, unsafe work environment, poor management
Kids are great
Behavioral Counselor (Current Employee) –  New Kent, VAOctober 26, 2018
Kids are great and are the only reason I keep going to work. The management is terrible and does not care about your safety or work life balance. You will be mandated to work 16 hour shifts with little-no notice. The pay is terrible for the Behavior Techs/Counselors. The BT's have more education than the nurses and are paid half of what they get.
Pros
Kids
Oh Cumberland!
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VAOctober 20, 2018
Where do I start? First let me say I love working with the kids at Cumberland, And also working with a good team on unit 7A! But the management is terrible..They put staff in danger by not always going by the ratio! I seen several staff get attack by patients and no consequences was given. The staff get physical and verbally abuse there by the children. Management dont consider there staff when the Behavior Tech is the whole reason why this hospital is still running! They rather for you to abandoned your own kids and always be there..Mandation is out of control and if you refuse you get wrote up when they try to mandate at the last minute when no notice.They don't appreciate there staff at all..I had an miscarriage on the unit and was told by the DON that I couldn't leave until coverage was found which was two hours later.That was a safety issue,by time I got to the hospital I was bloody all over..Not once did any management call to see how I was doing or to send condolences..That mess with me mentally physically and emotionally till this day! They need to get rid of management and start all over.They walk around like we owe them something with their nose up when Truth be told BT's run that hospital! Not to mention when you try to learn they are very manipulate and retaliation as trying to stop you from getting another job where you are appreciated! It was definitely an experience working it. Never Again! And it's just this UHS because I have work for another UHS company and it definitely wasn't the same
Pros
Working with great Co worker and kids
Cons
Management Is Trash
Caution
Will not disclose (Former Employee) –  New Kent County, VAOctober 9, 2018
Terrible company to work for. I should have gone with my gut feeling when I walked into the building for an interview. Horrible negative work environment
productive fun place to work
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  New Kent, VAOctober 2, 2018
really enjoyed working with the children they getting to know them and learn about them. giving the freedom to express themselves and share their lives
Cool
Behavior Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VAAugust 14, 2018
Cool place to be while in school. stand your ground with the kids. my manager was the best. also, that she wanted her staff to do great. she had an open door policy.
Pros
free lunches
great hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  New Kent, VAAugust 8, 2018
The compensation is great, and the shift differential is wonderful, but the environment can be stressful due to the violence of the patients at the hospital.
Rewarding work
Psychotherapist (Current Employee) –  New Kent, VAJune 29, 2018
Cumberland is a great hospital if you have the passion for helping children and watching them succeed to become more independent. As a Psychotherapist the work is a rewarding and the department is supportive. The direct supervisor makes sure that you are treated like a person, and not just like you are someone that can be replaced.
Pros
Supportive Department
Cons
To much documentation
Unsafe, Chaotic Work Environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VAJune 11, 2018
The turnover is extremely high. It is not a safe working environment as the patients are extremely violent. The dietetic practices are in inhumane for morbidly obese patients. The diabetic patients aren't given enough tools and resources to make good nutritional decisions. The culture of management is cut-throat and there is no room for growth.
Pros
Cons
Unsafe work environment, low wages
One of the worst Hospitals in Brooklyn
Assistant Director/Acting Purchasing Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 9, 2018
Unable to review the Hospital honestly, as I had to file a law suit for gender discrimination in 1982. It took 5 years for the City of New York to settle my case favorably in State Court. Case was reported in NY Times, and in State of NY Law Archives. Sorry
Pros
close to all transportation
Cons
workplace culture is abominal
Dangerous
Behavioral Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VA 23124May 1, 2018
I would not send any one to this place. It is dangerous and the management is out of touch with the staff needs. staff to patient ratio is very unsafe.
Work Culture Horrible
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VAMarch 14, 2018
Frankly I want to refocus on the positive. Administration and benefits PTO awful. No support, demanding over time without mutual benefits. Personnel unethical,unprofessional, no linking communication between supervisor and staff. Demand more time and not enough money. Wisp of company order of operation. Finally most unhappiest people, with an out to get you attitude. the building had an air of problems.
Pros
Reasonable lunches
Cons
too many
fast and intense
Behavior Counselor (Current Employee) –  New Kent, VAFebruary 19, 2018
great place to work high turnover rate cause staff to be overworked. There is a high turn over due to the intense needs of the population of children we serve
Behavioral hospital
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VAJanuary 27, 2018
The school at Cumberland Hospital was a good place to work with good colleagues. Working within the hospital as a whole was very difficult. It was very challenging working with students with a plethora of behavioral challenges.
fun
Behavior Counselor (Current Employee) –  New Kent, VAJanuary 6, 2018
good fast pace at work & love the residents but it was too long of a drive so i need too relocate closer to my son ...........................................
Pros
work with children
Cons
work with children
Do not work here & do not send your children here
Behavioral Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VAJanuary 4, 2018
FOR PERSPECTIVE EMPLOYEES:
Nurses and behavioral counselors, who spend the majority of the time with the patients, get treated very poorly.

We are often out of ratio making it dangerous for the staff and the patients. The proper 1:4 ratio is stretched to 1:8 or even 1:10 if a behavioral counselor has to step in as a teacher

There are a very small amount of people on the code team that are on there everyday . These people receive less than an hour of training on properly how to restrain a child . No one is properly trained and because on certain people are on thd code team but code happen throughout the hospital and dude to the short staff a lot of people can’t get to the codes.

The pay is based upon there impression of you . It was discovered that they would hire people with degrees in other fields (business, biology, etc) and pay them over people with the proper education and experience . Raises are very few and far between and it’s hard to obtain even if you’ve been there for a while

Mandation is this places speciality. Specifically 30 minutes before your shift is going to end . They could know there’s a hole in the schedule for a week and will wait til the last second to try to feel it and if they are unable to no one is allowed to leave the hospital so you could be forced to work 16 hours instead of 8 and they will often force a lot of people to work a lot of doubles . This only stops If you inform them that you need extra money , at that time they will strangely start canceling you for all the shifts they need help with

FOR PROSPECTIVE PARENTS :
  more...

The staff is great with the children but management lacks order when then trickles down to staff which in return affect the children .

Their schedules are often filled will fillers that they don’t do

School mainly consist of coloring and Netflix

They’re limited with staff. Which limits what the kids can do such as go outside or on trips
Pros
Great coworkers, great kids
Cons
Poor management, not helping the kids, mandation, horrible pay, risk for bodily harm, not safe
stressful, high turnover, long hours quick turnarounds
Behavioral Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VADecember 8, 2017
providing service to children in mental health from all walks and avenues from life. Helping them to heal and recover from abuse mental illnesses. A typical day would be starting work dependent upon what shift. 7am, 3pm or 11pm. But the likelihood of mandation (being made to stay and work a full extra 8 hours daily) is very high due to poor turnover and retention of direct care. Some shifts make this worst by requiring to work an 8 hour shift. Then turn right back around in 8 hours or less and work a scheduled 16 hr shift every weekend. Due to scheduling rotations. Overall the workplace culture and morale is very very low due to some of the cirucmstances stated above. While management is fully aware of these circumstances and provides lots of incenitives during these seasons. They are reluctant to change the failing systems in place, or seek outside help if the know how to do so isnt there. The hardest part of the job is dealing with these inconsistencies on a day in and day out, and the anxiety 90% of staff receive showing up for work daily understanding that they will likely be affected by it. The most fulfilling part of the job comes in the form of serving some of societies most damanged kids, and reaching that point in treatment where the light finally comes on and they begin to take active part in their own healing.
Pros
lots of overtime, shift differentials & incentives, helping kids
Cons
negative culture, low morale, poor management, turnover, mandation
Stressful Place to work
Military Marketing Liaison (Former Employee) –  New Kent, VA 23124October 15, 2017
Stressful place to work, workforce culture is all about the money. They would rather admit a child whose insurance pays more versus the overall total concept of helping a child. Nepotism is big in the company, with many of the senior leaders who are previous or current friends and relatives.
Pros
Cons
Money Hungy Organization
Poor Management
BEHAVIORAL COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 4, 2017
Management does not care about your personal life. Working 12-16 hour shifts almost daily should be expected. You won't be able to take PTO even though they offer it. They care more about money than they do about the patients. Not the job for you if you want to actually learn.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cumberland Hospital for Children and Adolescents. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7