Cumberland Hospital for Children and Adolescents

Cumberland Hospital for Children and Adolescents Employee Reviews

United States111 reviews
Featured review
Cumberland Hospital for Children and Adolescents selected this as a representative review
The staff was trained very well in code greens, psychiatric codes, and how to work as a team to keep order on the units. We participated in the implementation of treatment team goals for the patient as an individual and not as a group of people. The patients were awarded for good behavior and through positive reinforcement the patients learned to control behaviors.
Worst mistake of my life!
If you are a nurse your license is in jeopardy every day.

Would never ever record this place...

It should be shut down permanently.

Google about recent happenings.
Great place to work at ! Very team oriented. All staff are very hands on! Great shift availability. Overtime can be picked up. Can be stressful at times. Overall great company.
Place is out of control. Fellow employees throw you under the bus. If you say ANYTHING you can guarantee every one knows. No support what so ever. Everyone is out for themselves. Also staff are very abusive towards pts. Did not like or agree with their practices is why I left. Steer clear of this place. They paint a wonderful picture but as someone who has been working with this population for years I saw right through the bs.
If I could give this place less than 1 star I would. This "hospital," if you can call it that, treats their employees horribly. Even worse, the way their patients are treated is illegal. Locking them in rooms, taking food away, letting them sleep in their own soiled bed sheets. I don't care how a person presents behavior, this kind of treatment is 100% uncalled for, unethical, and downright neglect. Don't even try to get an interview here. Just look the other direction.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
The schedules are ridiculous. Being mandated (forced to stay and work another shift) is inevitable. Most co-workers are new to the field and don’t know what they’re doing. It’s a dangerous work environment with a high potential of being physically harmed by patients. The “higher ups” don’t care about the techs. There is endless drama amongst techs and nurses. The location is very remote and the roads are treacherous during and after snow/ice storms. The pay is minimal considering your job responsibilities.
Pros
Benefits, time off
Cons
Too many
I was told many things during my interview and orientation that simply were not true. The number of hours I was hired for per week went from 36 to 72 and I was supposed to be alright with that. I was told differing amounts of pay and differing dates for the sign on bonus. The conditions were dangerous and without support from other staff. I was injured twice in 2 weeks and observed many inappropriate behaviors from staff. I was afraid I would be in jeopardy of losing my license there.
Management is not helpful with you. They expect you to pick up shifts every week, and if you don't, they don't like you. The patients get zero consequences for being disrespectful to staff. You are expected to work another 8 hours if they need you to. I loved the staff I worked with on my core unit, because they knew what they were doing and were extremely helpful to me. If it were not for the staff I worked with on my core unit, I probably would not of lasted a year there. The hospital says they want you to take a mental health day if you need it, but they seem to not want you to do that.
We are working short of staff on a regular basis. It is unsafe due to the acuity level of our patients. Unable to take a break and need to stay late to complete work.
Busy, challenging at times. I've learned to be patient and listen. Your work day is what you make it. management is okay, need to be more understanding when requesting time off(bereavement).the hardest part of the job for me is Everybody don't follow policy, visitation, dress code..etc.. the best part of the job is meeting new people and treating patients and there treatment is successful.
Cumberland Hospital is truly a special hospital. Everyone works as a team and are committed to improving the quality of life of those that we treat. We treat those who are considered UNTREATABLE. The best part about working at Cumberland is seeing the difference we make in the patients lives and the worst part is that it is a for profit hospital. It can be a difficult job but it is also rewarding. It does take a special person to work with the population that we treat. I have been with Cumberland Hospital for 18 years and have been promoted within.
Cumberland has given me the opportunity to gain experience in working with the most interesting and at the same time challenging patients and families from across the country. The personal satisfaction I receive in knowing that I made a difference in their lives makes every effort that I give worthwhile.
Cumberland Hospital is a unique environment that provides superior care to it's patients through a
multi disciplinary, collaborative team approach. Cumberland is committed to hiring only the best staff to become part of the team!
I love working with my children.. I also consider most of.my coworkers family I love the compassion that most of the staff have for the children.the best part is watching the children grow and learn how to take care of themselves
Yes some days we are short staffed. There are long days and tough days, but nothing compares to helping children that no one else wants to help. Their smiles will melt your heart. While there a good and caring people that work here and a good team makes for the best of days, the kids are the best part of the job!!!
Cumberland Hospital has offered me the chance to witness some remarkable rehabilitation of patients who have been either been removed from or just left other programs. There is no giving up on the children there by the nursing, rehab, and therapy departments.It's a campus style hospital in the country but is far away for most staff to commute to. As anywhere, staffing can be an issue at times.
My day is always busy and challenging but highly rewarding. I have learned so much about chronic illnesses and behavioral health diagnosis. I have also learned and have a vast knowledge of medications, their indications, side effects and usages for particular diagnosis. Management works well together to improve patient safety and care as well as to improve the overall morale of the staff. The kids are both the most difficult and the most rewarding part of my job. Learning why they are here and the struggles they have faced can, at times, break your heart. But when you see them overcome and learn to deal with the hardships of life in a positive manner and grow from their experiences and can transition from us it is heartwarming and exciting. When a patient writes you a goodbye letter to say thank you for doing what you do and they call you to say thank you and tell you how great they are doing and say it was because of you and the Cumberland team, it is the best feeling in the world! The kids keep me coming back everyday and will always keep me coming back for as long as I am able to!
I enjoy working with the patients, they can be challenging but over all really do appreciate receiving attention and support by staff. I also really appreciate staff that work together to support each other.
Great place to work with a great group of people, I have learned a lot within the last year here. The best part of the job is making a difference for the children
Working with our kids takes a special person. If love kids and want them to have improved opportunities, sign up today. If you are just looking for a pay check, please look elsewhere.
Get great experience working with C & A chronic illnesses with corresponding behavioral and psychiatric issues. Fast-paced, very demanding, but can be very rewarding. Most staff are very dedicated in their work with these youth and want to work as a team. Don't come here if you expect a 9-5 job.
Pros
free lunch; small facility, but because connected with large corporation, with those good benefits. Many dedicated staff who want to do their best with the youth here.
Cons
Very demanding environment, high workload
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cumberland Hospital for Children and Adolescents. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9