Cumulus Media Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Very Radio
Traffic Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 10, 2018
Normal radio station work. Long work day working at a computer with little time to do professional growth. People were nice but culture was "Not My Fault!" mentality. Hard to correct issues when people kept breaking the same rules with no consequences.
Cumulus has definitely exceeded my expectations since signing with them...
Host/Creative Services Director/AE (Current Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLJuly 1, 2018
I've thoroughly enjoyed my time thus far with Cumulus. Despite overall company financial bankruptcy and difficulties that were created by previous owners/share-holders....the new CEO and Executive Team has done a STELLAR job in recruiting the best-of-the-best to bring a tremendous cultural and workplace paradigm shift to a company that could have easily went by the wayside without their guidance and leadership. I left my first company after it was sold to Cumulus because of the perception of the company at that time, and refused to work for Cumulus for over 15+ years because of what I knew about the company from it's employees.....and now I am very proud to be a part of Cumulus and what we have and are continuing to create.
at one time it was a fun and productive work place not all bad!
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJune 25, 2018
a topical day was hectic but fun in media
learned alot and had fun doing it
workplace was always a fun environment
it was always hard work but everyone enjoyed it
Pros
free concerts
Cons
worked weekends
Solid Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 18, 2018
Still a good place with passionate people who care about their job an the end result produced. Management is much better than perceived by outside competition.
Pros
Not micro-managed
Cons
need to invest more in the local staff and product
no comment
Broadcast Engineer and IT (Former Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCJune 11, 2018
Worked 60 hours a week and was pushed to do more. Was on call 24/7 for almost 10 years and always had to respond pronto. I can not elaborate anymore due to a separation agreement.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great Company
Vice President of Sales (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 11, 2018
Cumulus Media is a great company overall. They own a large number of radio stations in strategic markets across the U.S.
I'm very pleased with the progress our new CEO has made in turning the company around.
Working at Cumulus
On-Air Personality, Videographer & Editor (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LAJune 8, 2018
I can be very interesting, rewarding and troubling all at the same time. There are times where you will feel like you have the easiest job in the world and then there will be other times where you will like like this isn't worth what your getting paid.
Pros
experience
Cons
pay
access to all the music, shows and parties
Program Director Assistant/Music Director (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 8, 2018
Cumulus was a great learning experience of how minorities can be #1 in a market and still get very low pay in the Nashville Market. Cumulus provided me a platform to exceptionalism's and I gained all the knowledge and experience that I could learn to finally evolve to a level of transition Nashville Entertainment Group.
Pros
free music and concerts
Cons
no pay to protect yourself if your a local star in the market as a minority
Fast-paced fun exciting environment
Front Desk Receptionist / Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mission, KSJune 1, 2018
Different day to day changes, extremely fast-paced working environment. It is an exciting atmosphere of broadcasting and networking to work for this company, however the pay is extremely low considering the amount of stress and expectations for this position.
Pros
Free event tickets
Cons
Bad wages
Local Stations Great/Upper Level Not So Much
Traffic Director (Current Employee) –  Peoria, ILMay 31, 2018
After spending most of my career in TV, until I was consolidated out of a job, I held the impression that radio was more technologically advanced, boy was I WRONG. Software systems that were so unfriendly to the end users it's unbelievable. If I had more research before I accepted position, I probably wouldn't have.
Pros
Free concerts and events
Cons
pay, work hours, lack of back-ups, antiquated systems
Radio is a dying industry
On-Air Personality (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMay 29, 2018
Only pursue a radio career if you have no regard for financial stability and have a passion for radio.

Your must also have another means of supporting yourself financially.

Advancement is limited and does not result in much of a pay increase if any at all.
Production Manager/On Air Talent
Production Director (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILMay 29, 2018
Daily I would write copy, assign voice work to other employees, and hosted two on air programs. Managed a department of three. Also worked closely with clients to ensure satisfaction of product.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Too much micro managing.
Great sales job
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 29, 2018
Cumulus was my first sales job and they made it easy to make the transition from Restaurant Radio sales. They had a training system and managers that were willing to always help. It was a great place to work
Pros
Managers always willing to help
Cons
Sales were going down
Program Director/Building Manager (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, ILMay 17, 2018
I think Cumulus, overall, has improved greatly as far as the culture. However, my direct management is an absolute mess and Cumulus higher-ups don't seem too interested in fixing it. I manage my entire building and not once have they visited us and don't seem to care about our input for our own future.
Pros
Benefits, creative
Cons
Don't seem care about the little guy
N/a
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 15, 2018
N/A company has poor morale due to prior leadership. Struggling to regain confidence through bankruptcy. Locally staff is professional but the cumulus brand is shakey.
Corporate radio
Digital & Promotions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 10, 2018
Corporate radio ruins a lot of the creativity that this media outlet once had - but corporate ownership is pretty much all that remains if you're interested in a radio career. The workplace culture in the local market can be fun though.
Fun Place To Work But Some Issues
Promotions Assistant & Board Op (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 7, 2018
It's a fun place to work, but there are some issues. Some of the staff is a bit difficult to work with, although in some cases it's due to those employees holding a high standard for your work, which isn't a bad thing. Compensation could have been better, but not too much to complain about as a part time employee. Hiring new employees and retaining talent was a bit of an issue. Overall though, it's a fun place to work with some great people.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Low Pay
Ups and downs
SALES ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 2, 2018
Cumulus has a good sales training program. You will be prepared when you start prospecting and contacting clients. To succeed here you will need thick and be ok with micro-management.
Bankruptcy
FM Director of Marketing and Promotions (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 26, 2018
Bankruptcy is not being at all accepted well at the station level. This uncertainty is creating a culture of fear among employees. Budget expectations are too high, debit is too high, and investment in products is almost non-existent. This company will not survive in it’s current state unless bankruptcy proceedings end up attracting new investors.
Pros
Heritage Brands. Most stations by themselves are profitable.
Cons
too much bad debt.
Not recomended to work
Producer (Former Employee) –  Florence, SCApril 24, 2018
Cumulus Broadcasting a soul sucking place to work. Even if I was in a great mood, I would feel the change in me as I opened the door. While I enjoyed my co-workers, and we made the best we could with what little was given, I would never recommend working for such a backwards company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cumulus Media. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.0InHerSight Score

1.7Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight