Cumulus Media
62Average

Cumulus Media Employee Reviews

United States567 reviews
The company is very different than when I originally started working for Cumulus in 2004. Under CEO Mary Berner's leadership it feels more like a family environment, rather than a cut-throat, walking on eggshells one, day in and day out. Mary's genuine approach to caring about us is unprecedented in this industry. It's clear she came from outside the radio world and has turned it into a company that is now caring and compassionate. It's been a sea change for everyone, up and down the ladder.
Worked as intern in promotions and was extremely satisfied with my role and the people I worked with in the company. Flexible hours, fun place to work, and great music!
In my 20 months at Cumulus, I can honestly say that I have nothing bad to say! Well, except the pay, but as the saying goes, you never get into radio to get rich. But my boss is a great guy and gives free reign on the air, within the law, to be a "personality" and that is what I enjoy most.
There are some things that can be improved as far as work culture. However, the pay and benefits are great. Just do you work and go home. Don't get involved in other things that will distract you and get you terminated.
Working with this company was really enjoyable and the employees welcome everyone. If anyone is looking for a start in a career of advertisement/entertainment, this would be a fantastic start.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
I've worked at Cumulus for over 3 years and it's been nothing short of extraordinary. The executive staff is very transparent on how things are going with the company. There are free lunches and snacks. They also have a great work from home policy.
I have worked here for almost 10 years and have seen a lot of changes. As with any job, some managers are good and some aren't, but over the last couple of years, things have changed for the better. It is now an extremely encouraging environment and one that everyone is doing much better. I would recommend this job to anyone who wants to grow but also doesn't mind working very hard. This job is very difficult but very rewarding and the team atmosphere is absolutely amazing. The local management is very supportive and definitely creates an environment with a ton of energy and a lot of resources to be successful.
If you are looking for a job to collect a paycheck, you will not like this, because you definitely have to earn it and management expects a lot. But if you work hard and stay focused, there is a lot of upside and it is a lot of fun along the way.
Constant regurgitation of tired, old ideas that no longer work. Company has no idea of digital and emerging tools clients need. Regional VP is a piece of work; makes all the decisions but if it doesn’t pan out, look out! Someone else is taking the hit because he is a master at covering his own butt. You are nothing but a cog and if you aren’t helping to turn the wheel, they have no use for you. Compensation is insulting. Professionals are on air but sales.....they will hire anyone breathing; unfair to employees who are not skilled at the job; unfair to clients spending tons of money based on what unskilled sellers sell them and buy Whatever dumb package is being crammed down their throats because managers are pressured to get it sold. If you are male, you may fare a bit better but not by much
Pros
There are some great people who work there
Cons
Backstabbing, dishonest and all around horrible management
Prospecting, cold calling
Put together campaigns for SMB

INNOVATIVE approach to advertising

Company gives all employees tools to help them succeed in their business
Pros
Independence
Cons
Loud environment
I come in every day knowing there is something different going on and a new challenge is at hand. I'm always excited to come in and challenge myself to become a better person. I'm excited to say that I am with Cumulus Media!
The general manager treated his staff poorly. He has several lawsuits pending due to inappropriate behavior and the ratings of the company have suffered greatly.
Fun team of people to work with. Challenging commission structure that requires hungry sales executives. Smaller sales force creates less competition for accounts. Expect limited direction and communication from management.
The job was difficult. A lot of cold calling, taking care of small business to increase their profits from local direct. The radio host were great people.
I honestly wouldn’t even apply. Run away. This business model may work somewhere else- it doesn’t work unless you’ve been employed there for a long amount of time
Pros
None- radio is a dying market. Unless you’ve been there a substantial amount of time, or you’re considered a “favorite”, you didn’t receive any leads.
Cons
Everything- the management would gossip about other employees consistently
Even though my position was a temporary position, the company treated me and included me as a regular permanent employee. I was included in the holiday celebration and the department achievement award outing.
Cumulus Media offers a fast pace creative work environment in the exciting field of media marketing. Cumulus Media is a quality national company to work for.
My time at this place Cumulus Media was an exciting, fun experience. I really enjoyed working at Cumulus Media, I learned a lot in a very short period of time. My co-workers there were friendly informative, very helpful and great to work with. Cumulus Media, if your interested in working in Radio
This is the worst media company in the Treasure Valley. They overpromise and under deliver to their clients all the time. I would recommend strongly not to work there and if you’re looking for a media company do not buy their advertising.
Terribly mismanaged local market makes it a real chore to try and complete meaningful work. The company still has a sales mentality straight out of last century - anything to bleed clients dry of their advertising budgets regardless of whether it's right for the client or not.
Cumulus, in my opinion struggled to value my six, sometimes, seven day-a-week commitment. That led to my resignation. I woke up each day at 3a or 4a for nearly a decade and never exceeded 11/hr. I had decided that was enough working for limited pay. I have 25-years experience in radio.
As voice tracking continues to reduce the amount of air talent needed, the number of opportunities available in programming are diminishing. You should expect to handle multiple roles on the programming side. It can still be fun. After all, it is radio.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cumulus Media. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
2.8
Ratings from women
2.3
InHerSight Score
1.9Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight