Curtis Lumber Co., Inc. Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Workplace Culture
Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) –  New YorkJune 12, 2018
Curtis Lumber employees are like family! Everyone gets along great, works collaboratively and helps you out if you make a mistake, instead of punishing you!
Pros
Career advancement and excellent internal education program!
Cons
None that I can think of!
Not the greatest place to work
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMarch 28, 2018
Management could be better. If you don't know anybody you will not get anywhere. It is a good job if you have no life outside of work. You work for your money that's for sure.
June 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We'd love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at employment@curtislumber.com.

Good ompany
Stager (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYMarch 5, 2018
Good, locally owned business. The pay is not the greatest but there is room for advancement. Workers and culture is relaxed and professional. Would recommend to work for.
May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the culture of our company. If you have any further feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

Was a good place to work. Was time to move on.
Kitchen Designer (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYJanuary 30, 2018
a typical day of work was working in numerous departments because the staff was low. Was not appreciated to level most would think. Management especially the assistant managers were reasonable more so then the main manager.
Pros
education
Cons
lack of realistic raises
May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We'd love to hear more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

there was a great deal to like about the store
Receptionist/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYNovember 19, 2017
Probably the hardest part of the job was being too desperate to please every co-worker and I got a bit lost doing that. I tried too hard to please everyone and forgot to cut myself some slack for being the new kid on the block. I think the store is a great place to work and I would recommend it.This is a company that appreciates their staff.
Pros
good pay, good hours
Cons
every other weekends are a must to work.
many years ago
Lumber Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYOctober 16, 2017
Very nice environment and employers were on top of business and involved in daily activities.

Best part of my job was helping customers.

Nice place to work, close to home and family.

A great place to work.
May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed working with our customers; we will always strive to display our family atmosphere. If you have any further feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Curtis Lumber. If you have additional feedback please email us at employment @curtislumber.com.

excellent place of employment
Material handler/Yard hand (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYOctober 9, 2017
makes for a great day when you enjoy your job. everyday was something new. I really liked seeing local contractors and other local customers I know on a personal basis.
Pros
set weekly schedule, perfect for appointments
Cons
very cold winters, no wind barrier
good spirited place of employment
Yard/material handler (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYSeptember 26, 2017
fast passed environment with opportunities to meet new contracors.
great employees & co-workers to spend the day working with & around. teaching & learning new things often.
Pros
extended learning of industry
Cons
northern weather working condtions
good benefit and possibility to have a high income
Customer Service and Design (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 26, 2017
Curtis Lumber is 21 store in Vermont and NewYork. There's good support for the employee. Good benefit. The day could be really busy or really quite, its hard to have a regular schedule because you rely on customer for your work.
Pros
benefit
Cons
hours, lack of flexibility
May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Curtis Lumber. If you have any additional feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

Great training oppurtunities
Assistant Credit Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
great company to work for along with an advanced training program. Its a very family oriented company that cares for its employees and will help them advance in certain areas.
May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your experience with Curtis Lumber. If you have additional feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

Good luck
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJuly 13, 2017
If you don't mind coworkers talking behind your back and people constantly leaving it's great. You don't get sick or vacation time till after a year..
Pros
Good healthcare
Cons
Short lunches
May 22, 2018

Truly a great place to work!!!!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Delmar, NYJune 23, 2017
Work was fun. I learned a great deal for everyone I worked with. Management was great as well. Great family environment. Friendly co-workers. I truly enjoyed working there.
Pros
Wealth of knowledge
Cons
non
May 22, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with our company. If you have any additional feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with Curtis Lumber. If you have additional feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

4 out of 5 stars
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Delmar, NYDecember 18, 2016
Work starts at 7am for inside staff. 30 minutes for lunch. At a satellite store we closed at 5pm. Most days we were out by 5:15pm Because Curtis Lumber participates in the OSHA Voluntary Protection Programs. There safety program is the best. I learned to work safer and be more productive. Of the two managers I had one was excellent the other not so much. Co-workers were respectful and became friends with most. Hardest part of the job was when customers when you uphold company policies like special orders are not returnable and management overrides you Curtis gets stuck with material the manufacturer would not take back. The best about the job is the ability to learn how to do work on your house and make it a home.
Pros
Employee discount.
Cons
Short lunch.
good place to start a career however me being a vet and 34 plus years in what I do I feel I need a change for the better.
Lead Shipper (Current Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYSeptember 20, 2016
working in a lumber yard is kinda tough weather conditions,lack of equipment, and lack of personnel.however their can be plenty improvements in which they have announce.
Most unwelcoming enviroment I ever worked in
Labor (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMarch 14, 2016
Most of the staff cannot form a paragraph without bad language and have no respect for women or the sanctity of marriage.
Too many relatives and personal relationships in the store. Management has been referred to as dictators from history
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Too many intimate relationships within the store.
great place
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Castleton-on-Hudson, NYJanuary 3, 2016
laid back, but still very productive. Great co-workers. Customers with varying product and industry knowledge. Sundays off at Schodack location.
Leader in Building Supply industry
Business Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Williston, VTNovember 5, 2015
Curtis Lumber is an example of how a "local" business can compete and succeed in an industry dominated by the big box stores. They do this by providing excellent service and a wide range of products for both the residential and professional markets.
Productive work place
Logistics Coordinator, CDL A / Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYApril 21, 2015
I really enjoy my co-workers and have a great relationship with all of them. My kids are grown and I'm looking to make a change in my career.
Pros
Plenty of hours to work.
Cons
Very easy to get burnt out.
friendly neighbor hood hardware store
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Delhi, NYApril 7, 2015
Typical day was show up to premise, general maintenance and product placement before the store opened for business.

I learned about innovative new products along with furthering what I already know about customer service.

management was very understanding about their employees as well with their customers.

the hardest part about the job would be when there were un-satisfied customers to which I was unaware or unable to help with there particular complaint.

enjoyment came when I knew I successfully helped someone that came back and said thanks for the tip or what have you, it came out great.
Pros
easy schedule, not long hours
Cons
the drive.
Busy retail, but understaffed
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYJune 4, 2014
Learned a lot of different materials given the in store stock is over 30k items.

Hardest part of job is dealing with tired business model and employees who do not invite change.

Co workers are decent people.

The most enjoyable part of the job is accomplishing tasks as a team.
Pros
Discounts, health insurance.
Cons
Hours, scheduled days off, public.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Curtis Lumber Co., Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.