Curtis Lumber Co., Inc. Employee Reviews

Great company
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Amsterdam, NYJuly 19, 2018
Its been a very long time since I've worked at Curtis Lumber but I found it to be a great experience. There is great opportunity for advancement and the benefits are outstanding
July 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience and the benefits at Curtis Lumber! If you would like to provide further feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com!

Management walks around like a big shot and hiding in their offices at times they were needed.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYJune 30, 2018
The problem is management. You constantly cover people's shifts without proper training. They failed to provide opportunities for advancement. Promised several interviews for different positions and were passed over by outsiders with less experience. If someone called out, management tried to make you feel guilty to always cover their shift. The employee's were awesome and made you feel like family.
Pros
Carhartt Discount
Cons
Worked every other weekend
July 2, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We'd love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve! Please email us at Employment@curtislumber.com!

Physically and mentally stressful
Driver (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYJune 21, 2018
Good benefits. Know that you will be done by 5 every day. However you will work yourself into the ground for your ten hours. Minimal staffing means that you have to do your job and everyone else's too. Management will not hire more help because that means paying more salary. If the work can get done running short handed it makes the profits look bigger and the numbers are all corporate cares about.
Pros
Good benefits, know when you're done every day
Cons
Management, perpetually understaffed
June 27, 2018

Workplace Culture
Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) –  New YorkJune 12, 2018
Curtis Lumber employees are like family! Everyone gets along great, works collaboratively and helps you out if you make a mistake, instead of punishing you!
Pros
Career advancement and excellent internal education program!
Cons
None that I can think of!
June 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying the culture of our company. If you have any further feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

Stable local Company
Inside Contractor Sales - Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYApril 16, 2018
Long standing local company with stores in many locations. some room for advancement. like every job had it's pluses and minuses. can be very stressful in the busy season and numbers are always a cure all.
Pros
stable
Cons
pay scale
May 22, 2018

Not the greatest place to work
Yard Worker (Current Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMarch 28, 2018
Management could be better. If you don't know anybody you will not get anywhere. It is a good job if you have no life outside of work. You work for your money that's for sure.
June 7, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We'd love to learn more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at employment@curtislumber.com.

Good ompany
Stager (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYMarch 5, 2018
Good, locally owned business. The pay is not the greatest but there is room for advancement. Workers and culture is relaxed and professional. Would recommend to work for.
May 22, 2018

Was a good place to work. Was time to move on.
Kitchen Designer (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYJanuary 30, 2018
a typical day of work was working in numerous departments because the staff was low. Was not appreciated to level most would think. Management especially the assistant managers were reasonable more so then the main manager.
Pros
education
Cons
lack of realistic raises
May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We'd love to hear more about your experience and how we can improve. Please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

there was a great deal to like about the store
Receptionist/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYNovember 19, 2017
Probably the hardest part of the job was being too desperate to please every co-worker and I got a bit lost doing that. I tried too hard to please everyone and forgot to cut myself some slack for being the new kid on the block. I think the store is a great place to work and I would recommend it.This is a company that appreciates their staff.
Pros
good pay, good hours
Cons
every other weekends are a must to work.
many years ago
Lumber Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYOctober 16, 2017
Very nice environment and employers were on top of business and involved in daily activities.

Best part of my job was helping customers.

Nice place to work, close to home and family.

A great place to work.
May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed working with our customers; we will always strive to display our family atmosphere. If you have any further feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Curtis Lumber. If you have additional feedback please email us at employment @curtislumber.com.

excellent place of employment
Material handler/Yard hand (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYOctober 9, 2017
makes for a great day when you enjoy your job. everyday was something new. I really liked seeing local contractors and other local customers I know on a personal basis.
Pros
set weekly schedule, perfect for appointments
Cons
very cold winters, no wind barrier
good spirited place of employment
Yard/material handler (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYSeptember 26, 2017
fast passed environment with opportunities to meet new contracors.
great employees & co-workers to spend the day working with & around. teaching & learning new things often.
Pros
extended learning of industry
Cons
northern weather working condtions
good benefit and possibility to have a high income
Customer Service and Design (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTSeptember 26, 2017
Curtis Lumber is 21 store in Vermont and NewYork. There's good support for the employee. Good benefit. The day could be really busy or really quite, its hard to have a regular schedule because you rely on customer for your work.
Pros
benefit
Cons
hours, lack of flexibility
May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Curtis Lumber. If you have any additional feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

Great training oppurtunities
Assistant Credit Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
great company to work for along with an advanced training program. Its a very family oriented company that cares for its employees and will help them advance in certain areas.
May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your experience with Curtis Lumber. If you have additional feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

Good luck
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTJuly 13, 2017
If you don't mind coworkers talking behind your back and people constantly leaving it's great. You don't get sick or vacation time till after a year..
Pros
Good healthcare
Cons
Short lunches
May 22, 2018

Truly a great place to work!!!!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Delmar, NYJune 23, 2017
Work was fun. I learned a great deal for everyone I worked with. Management was great as well. Great family environment. Friendly co-workers. I truly enjoyed working there.
Pros
Wealth of knowledge
Cons
non
May 22, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your input and are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with our company. If you have any additional feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

May 22, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with Curtis Lumber. If you have additional feedback please email us at employment@curtislumber.com

4 out of 5 stars
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Delmar, NYDecember 18, 2016
Work starts at 7am for inside staff. 30 minutes for lunch. At a satellite store we closed at 5pm. Most days we were out by 5:15pm Because Curtis Lumber participates in the OSHA Voluntary Protection Programs. There safety program is the best. I learned to work safer and be more productive. Of the two managers I had one was excellent the other not so much. Co-workers were respectful and became friends with most. Hardest part of the job was when customers when you uphold company policies like special orders are not returnable and management overrides you Curtis gets stuck with material the manufacturer would not take back. The best about the job is the ability to learn how to do work on your house and make it a home.
Pros
Employee discount.
Cons
Short lunch.
good place to start a career however me being a vet and 34 plus years in what I do I feel I need a change for the better.
Lead Shipper (Current Employee) –  Ballston Spa, NYSeptember 20, 2016
working in a lumber yard is kinda tough weather conditions,lack of equipment, and lack of personnel.however their can be plenty improvements in which they have announce.
July 23, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! We'd love to learn more about your experience and what we can do to improve! Please email us at employment@curtislumber.com!

Most unwelcoming enviroment I ever worked in
Labor (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYMarch 14, 2016
Most of the staff cannot form a paragraph without bad language and have no respect for women or the sanctity of marriage.
Too many relatives and personal relationships in the store. Management has been referred to as dictators from history
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Too many intimate relationships within the store.
great place
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Castleton-on-Hudson, NYJanuary 3, 2016
laid back, but still very productive. Great co-workers. Customers with varying product and industry knowledge. Sundays off at Schodack location.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Curtis Lumber Co., Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.