Curtis Media Group Employee Reviews

Don't drink the kool aid
Employee (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaJuly 1, 2018
Beware of management-- boatloads of unfilled promises and zero indication ever of where you stand. Expect your opinion to never matter, and know they want 100-percent of your life. Anything less, puts you out of favor. I feel for those who will continue to pour so much into their craft with this company only to have it shoved back into their face and be disrespected beyond any repair.
Creative, fun place to develop and grow career
Director (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 15, 2018
It is a very creative business that rewards those who like challenges. Every day really is different. Curtis Media is a privately owned company that is able to think long term. That is unlike most any other media companies. Work environment fosters collaboration without feeling claustrophobic. You get the support you need from management, both in the beginning and throughout career.
Pros
Great time to join an award-winning, locally owned and operated company, High-energy atmosphere, encourages innovation, place to grow, develop your career
Cons
Traffic around the studios can be a challenge, Traffic team helps get us around incidents on the road.
A lawsuit waiting to happen
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 22, 2018
No formal or relevant training, management too busy or don't care enough to actually develop you, conflicting job description between sales management and owner, uncaring culture, disconnected staff, poor pay, quick to dismiss good talent, high turn-over.

Do yourself a favor and find a sales job that treats employees as assets and sets them up for success.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Management is terribly out of touch
Sales (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 2, 2018
Some of the middle management doesn't know answers to simple questions, passes the buck to someone else instead of admitting they don't know the answers, blames staff for not knowing things that were never brought up. Training is a joke. You'll never learn about the product you are expected to sell, how to use the antiquated tools or anything about the radio stations and industry, unless you teach yourself.

The working environment is uncomfortable, because your peers are burdened with the actual training, either because management doesn't know or isn't willing to help.

The building is always under repair and the elevator only works sometimes.

Many high caliber sales people have been lost because of poor management. Some departments are eerily similar to The Office, as if that's where some managers learned to manage staff.
Pros
sometimes there was free lunch
Cons
everything else
Curtis Media
News Producer (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 14, 2017
Working at Curtis Media has been at time enjoyable and other times stressful, depending on management. It has gotten better in the past year as the newest manager is working on changes that will improve the station and our department. The hardest and easiest part of the job is enduring the chatter from the traffic department which shares the same space as the news department. My coworkers are all hard-working and provide enough material to produce news for my designated times but they expect just enough cuts and stories as well. I have really grown here because of trial and error over the years. When I went in, I didn't know anything about journalism, but now I've gained experience and improved my writing.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Loud background noise
Love my co-workers, Do not love upper management
employee (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 18, 2017
This place is ran like a zoo. Everyone can't stand the COO but they're too afraid to say it. Everyone is frustrated, broke and stressed out working here. They wonder why moral is down - it's because there are no incentives at all. The COO Trip does not care about the staff AT ALL even if he pretends to. The pay sucks and they mistreat everyone there that are below them. It's sad when someone who loves their job in radio is on here applying for fast food jobs because they'll get treated better and make the same pay. The ones that work hard are the ones that have to work harder with no gain. It's a big disappointment at this place and has definitely changed since Trip got there. Lots of broken promises, lots of dumb decisions, everything is done at the last minute, people are worried about job security and how they're going to pay their bills. They don't give raises but buy more stations. They'll be quick to fix the building up but have no care in the world to help out a hard working employee there. My advice is to stay away. Don't let them fool you because they're stations sound great. The people running those stations are also getting treated the same. It's all terrible upper management and not sure the owner Don even knows what's going on. They need to wake up or Curtis Media Group will be a ghost town. Find a better job, don't even waste your time.
Pros
you get to have fun at events
Cons
everything else
no time to let people grow
Sports Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCApril 19, 2017
Was hired in March as an entry level position. Was given no time to network and make connections. Levels of sales needed after two months are not possible for someone just breaking into the business.
High Turnover
Pros
Working with fun product
Cons
Corporate policy's- unrealistic sales goals
Beware! Once was a great place to work, but falling apart
Manager (Former Employee) –  RaleighJune 1, 2014
Curtis Media was once a bright spot for a dimming industry, but with a wealth of recent changes there's a revolving front door. Lots of unhappy, over burdened employees and many in fear of being pushed out (which has been the trend, 15 or more mysterious resignations in 6 months). Upper management is no longer transparent and it seems like the vision has disappeared. If you're looking to learn about radio, you can. Lots of tools in place, no training. You're on your own and you better produce results for them quick before they give you the silent treatment and push you out. As one prospective candidate told me on the elevator after their interview, "I've never seen this before on an interview, but it was like a dark cloud was over the place. People looked like they were in misery.I changed my mind mid interview." I chuckled and went about my day.
Pros
You can learn about radio, some decent people there.
Cons
Very political, lots of toxic cliques, upper management doesn't communicate and can lead by fear, very little diversity and no motivation to change these factors
Enjoyable place to work, but not fair to all employees
Executive Assistant/Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCJune 19, 2013
Enjoy working there, but do not treat all employees the same; no raises for 3 years; 20 employees have resigned this year. My co-workers are great people and some are my good friends; I have learned a lot about the radio business; the hardest part of my job is trying to balance my time between the owner and the HR Director; the most enjoyable part of my job is meeting different people in the radio business and outside the radio business and dealing with the employees;
Pros
Acoustic Cafe
Cons
keep adding duties with no increase in salary
Creative atmosphere with competent management team.
Director of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCDecember 16, 2012
Great opportunity to work in communications. Very talented on-air group and aggressive, successful sales force. Creative atmosphere fosters new ideas, which are fairly examined by management.
Pros
highly regarded, award-winning stations.
Cons
benefit programs, opportunities for advancement.
President/COO is brilliant, funny; a good man.
Regional Sales Manager/ Key Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 27, 2012
All at corporate are intelligent, kind, helpful and exceptional at their prospective duties...truly the best in the industry.

Radio industry has taken repeated black eyes in recent years, keeping ideas in front of prospects has been more challenging.

The best thing about working in radio is that almost anything you can dream, you can do...for the client, for the station, for yourself...if you can transfer your (simple-yet -brilliant) idea into an (advertising partner's) investment.

Show me the money...there's no business like show business :-)
Pros
great people, talent and resources
Cons
healthcare benefits, communication top-down is (seriously) lacking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Curtis Media Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4