CUSTOM COMMUNICATIONS Employee Reviews

Used to be great, now it's awful.
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 2, 2018
Part of the company was bought out by another retailer, so Custom Communications (the AT&T stores) are now Prime Communicstions. They used to pay us well at the lower levels for our comp, then slowly crept lower and lower.
Pros
Full benefits
Cons
Poor
cubicle farm
Dispatcher for a contractor for Dish Network (Former Employee) –  Garner, NCApril 23, 2018
coworkers were more than willing to help the new workers learn the systems and job. The manager was too busy gossiping and talking about the workers inabilities. This was taken all the way to the owner and nothing was resolved from the situation.
Pros
nice people
Cons
horrible work atmosphere
Private contractor, no benefits, dangerous work conditions
Quality Inspector / Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 15, 2018
Custom Communication was a sub-contractor for Dish Network, and Verizon High Speed Internet. Contractors for Custom Communications were often not paid for work performed due to company loopholes. The job was extremely dangerous involving entering crawl spaces such as under houses, and attics, exposure to electrical wires, and dangerous heights. Contractors were injured with no compensation from the company
Pros
High salaries at times
Cons
Extremely dangerous working conditions
Has been sold to Prime Communications
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Lenoir City, TNFebruary 2, 2018
Effective 2.1.2018 Custom Communications LLC has been sold to Prime Communications. All employees are now Prime employees. Custom no longer exists....
Decent people
Recruiting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOJanuary 14, 2018
If you are not part of an inner circle your job will be in jeopardy at all times. You have to be friends with people in order to keep a job. But either way people will talk about you
Horrible job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 9, 2018
Worst management I've ever seen. They make you do manager type work but pay minimum wage . Complete scams . They preach family and being close to everyone but don't care at all . Managers are trash .
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 8, 2017
Great place to work. It provides an interactive and fun work environment. The pay was in line with the industry and the support I received from my leadership was helpful.
Loved the job and the people I worked with
Sales Rep and Small Business Leader (Former Employee) –  Sevierville, TNNovember 5, 2017
Provided excellent customer service and promote and sale At&t products. Had to make sure that all merchandise was properly staged and followed the guidelines set by At&t. As small business leader I was to trainer all employees on any new products that At&t offered and reach out to business in the community to offer At&t products to try and improve there business.
Pros
Fast pace and paid was great. Loved the people that i worked with.
Cons
Not enought work/home life balance. Also, not enough opportunity for advancement.
Great coworkers and management
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  MissouriSeptember 30, 2017
I have been working for Custom since May and I love it so far. I have great coworkers, a great manager, and overall, great customers. The pay is pretty good, I just wish they would leave the pay structure alone. My only complaint is that we never have anything in stock. Yes, we can direct fulfill devices, but most of our customers do not want to wait the extra week or so to receive it. Other than that, I haven’t had any issues with anyone in the company. Everyone I have met from the company is super nice and helpful. Best job so far.
Pros
Friendly, great work environment, pay, good insurance
Cons
Limited inventory
This is for a single person
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Clarksville, TNSeptember 21, 2017
All the way around, this job is great.This job is fantastic for someone that is single and doesn't mind living at work. The culture is very driven. Learned a lot from the management group.
Pros
benefits, bonus, commission
Cons
Great company with great people
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  IllinoisSeptember 18, 2017
In the interest of full disclosure, I've been with the company a few years now. A lot of the red I've read seem like they're from people who either haven't been with the company long or quit after a short amount of time.

In my experience with this company, I've seen a lot of reps come and go. The ones who haven't stayed usually didn't really understand what the job was when they took it. They tell every nee hire about their culture and DNA. I tell people, culture is what we do; DNA is who we are. Custom Communications expects their employees to have gratitude (not entitled or a chronic complainer), compassion (for customers and each other), and faith (that drives you to succeed). In return, they offer leadership, frequent coaching and daily inspiration.

Finally, this is a sales-driven company. If you're looking for a job that allows you to just sit back and clerk deals, try McDonald's or Wal-Mart. They're always hiring. But if you're looking for a career in sales, then give Custom Communications a chance.
Pros
Unlimited earning potential, advancement possibilities
Cons
Longer hours for leadership but it can't be helped
Great enviornment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 18, 2017
A typical day at work was data entry, filing, scanning, etc. I am not pleased with upper management. I think they don't know how to manage appropriately.
Energetic, high demanding, competitive
Regional Area Leader (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 14, 2017
Custom communications is a great and caring workplace, The owners were very understanding and care very much about the employees. I have nothing horrible to say about a company that has helped me grow and evolved me into a better person and district manager. I would like to add that they are very competitive which i like and the environment is fun.
Pros
M-f 9-5, great leadership
Applicant beware... PLEASE READ
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Hopkins, MNAugust 28, 2017
Let me start by saying this review is long. I never leave reviews for anything, but I want to stop someone from making a terrible mistake.

I worked for this company for 5 months and it is definitely not what it seems. They preach faith, compassion, gratitude, lead, coach, and inspire as the culture and DNA but they don't actually live by it. I was hired on as an ASM and our location didn't have a SM so I was acting as the store manager. During that time I was over worked and under paid, besides the overtime. I wasn't getting paid on any store bonuses nor could I make commission on my own sales since I had to train and run store operations. Then randomly I get promoted to SM but it had nothing to do with my hard work, but because the company didn't want to keep paying me overtime. No one told me I was promoted the only reason I found out was because I happened to look at my pay rate. There is no "congratulations" for work you do. I ended up in the hospital from over working myself and no one cared yet they preach such culture and DNA. My location was always slow but we still put up numbers. The slowest month traffic wise was actually our best when compared to the other 4 months of the store being open, but no one cared. I even asked for development from upper management so I could better myself as a leader and no tried to help, but from what I was told they would always talk about how they doubted me.

The commission structure is terrible and there's no ramp up for new hires. You won't get your first paycheck for a month since they pay in arrears, so have money saved up.
  more... The company waste money on having your DM watch you on camera instead of paying you for your work.

Inventory levels are horrible. At my location my reps lost so many sales because we didn't have what they wanted in stock. I had to keep an upbeat attitude and remind them that we can always ship to the customer, but that can only work so many times and try telling a family moving multiple lines over from another carrier they have to wait...doesn't always work or create a good experience. There is no variety when it comes to accessories; there's literally 4-5 different cases in 2-3 different colors for the iPhones, 2-3 cases for the S8, and everything else 1-2 cases. Trying to build an accessory bundle for a customer with multiple cases doesn't leave much room for creativity. It took my location 4 months to get prepaid phones in our inventory and 4 months to get the iPad 5th gen in inventory. The worst part about not having the iPad is AT&T had a promotion going on with the iPhone and iPad, literally set up for failure and the company doesn't realize it.

I have work in wireless for years and worked for many different 3rd party retailers and this company is by far the WORST, AT&T should reconsider their relationship with them because they are an embarrassment to the brand.

There's definitely more way more but I feel this review is already long.
Pros
It's a job
Believe The Ratings
Retail Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 16, 2017
Any reviews rated 2 stars and under about this company...believe them. It’s not worth it. Poor pay, poor commission and bonus structure, no work-life balance, poor leadership, slow locations, lack of consistent inventory, no security for thefts and robberies, no pto, no growth for employees, no raises, high expectations for slow locations, and hiring of unfitting employees. Seems like they’ll hire anyone. It’s been people that couldn’t even make it through training.
Pros
Service discounts
Cons
Everything else

Comment – August 16, 2017

We have recently reevaluated the pay system to best optimize your ability to make a livable wage. However, since this is an ATT Authorized Retailer sales job, your pay strongly depends on the commission you are making throughout the day. Also, once you have worked with us for a year, you do earn PTO with our company. As far as growth, we have promoted many of our employees who have been with us less than a year to Team Leaders and we pride ourselves in our efforts to promote from within. We are growing rapidly, which provides promotion opportunities for all our employees. Since there is so many issues to address on this post, please email us at CCIdirectors@gmail.com for more answers to specific questions.

Sales Representative in a hard working environment with big chance of pay but extremely hard to move up and horrible upper management.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEJuly 3, 2017
Working with customer's to make their needs regarding phones, Directv, and Digital Life. Very slow (Papillion, Ne), and employees get in trouble because of how slow the store is. Upper management is all based out of Kansas City, Missouri and provides little to no help to any of the stores in the Nebraska and Iowa areas. The company is looking to grow, but can not keep up with its growth and still treats itself as a small business when it really is a big business now. Employees within the store were awesome and same thing with in store leads, but everything out of store was bad. Like stated before management cared very little about its store and employees. There are no benefits other than insurance, but no paid time off or sick leave. Job itself isn't bad if you have worked in the phone or cable fields before, but job is unbearable because of upper management. Our area manager commits fraud and steals from his stores all the time. He continues to say he will do things for his employees but never does and he lies to our face and to our store leader about paid, vacation, and store hours. HR refuses to help half the time or say it's some else's job to take care of things and when they do help it takes forever to get done. I really wanted to like this company, but after failing to meet promises made like pay and benefits, I would strongly not recommend.
Pros
Good pay(right now), growing company
Cons
Leadership, pay, hours, benefits, upper management, location, stock, and HR.

Comment – August 16, 2017

We will do better to cover benefits with new employees, but you do receive PTO after you have worked with us for a year. This is a lot of extremely helpful information. We ask that you please email us with more details at CCIdirectors@gmail.com so we can address more of your concerns. We are also disheartened to hear about the stealing and fraud and we would appreciate you emailing us and telling us more about that. We have a tip line you can call to report theft and fraud: 866-959-0951. Either way you contact us, we will be sure to keep it anonymous. If we don’t know about these issues, we can’t solve them.

Custom Communications
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 6, 2017
It can be a very demanding, and there is a lot of unnecessary extra work for an under paid for a sales position. Not a great place to work if you are at a slow location. You do make commission.
Pros
Benefits after 3 months. Paid time off

Comment – August 16, 2017

Thank you for the 4 star rating even though your comments seem as if we did not do a good job in providing a great work environment for you. We recognize that it can be a demanding job, which should be equating to higher commissions. Mark Wahlberg is working diligently on driving more traffic to slow locations. ;)

avoid
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 2, 2017
very disorganized, bad management and communication, they are more concerned with you wearing their dress code even in the back room while on training then actually getting customers to come into the store. they are sticklers for all the classic appearances almost reminiscent of the way multi-level marketing scammers are and they also have an over zealous attendance policy during the month of training where if you miss 2 days you lose the job, doesnt matter if it was not your fault or even if it hurt them to lose you.... while talking to employees there it was evident they made barely over minimum wage.
Pros
extremely easy almost felt lazy
Cons
boring, bad training, nothing to do all day

Comment – August 16, 2017

We strive to hire employees who are consistent and reliable. Our training is a 2 week process, so missing 2 days is substantial and it shows that you may be unreliable. Also our dress code consisting of polos, jeans, and tennis shoes is a very relaxed dress code that we expect to be adhered to.

Not worth it
RSC (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 23, 2017
This company isn't what I thought it'd be. Pay is horrible. And the commission is always changing. And it's crazy how bad the commison is for selling a phone. They care more about DIRECTV now but obviously it's a phone store and that's what most people come for. I have a great manager so management is great it's just the pay is terrible and my location is very slow so it's not much of a chance to make alot money off of sales especially when you have three other people there trying to make money as well. And they expect too much out of u for the little pay.
Pros
Discounts on phone service
Cons
Pay, rude customers

Comment – August 16, 2017

ATT is no longer just a phone company, it is an entertainment company. We do focus on selling DirectTV because selling one DirectTV in a day will add $5.60 PER HOUR to your 8 hour base wage for the day! If you sell DirectTV and Internet it adds $8.75 onto your hourly wage, which essentially DOUBLES your paycheck. We are dedicated to making sure you have every opportunity to make a fair commission, so we absolutely focus on the ways to do that for our employees. We see that you are a current employee, so we would encourage you to express more of your concerns via email at CCIdirectors@gmail.com.

Run away from this company GO TO CORPORATE AT&T
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2017
If you value making money, being paid correctly and on time don't work here. You will only get advanced if you are friends or went to high school with management. If you didn't they will sell you false hopes. They pay structures changes often so you pretty much never get paid what you are suppose to. Mia calculated bonuses or just not receiving a bonus at all. Management stealing sells from reps. Reps get fired just because they are not liked. This job is not merit based at all, no matter what goal you reach. Management steals and fraud customers rep gets blamed and fired for it ( current employee)
Pros
You get to wear jeans
Cons
Miscalculated checks, wrong bonuses, favoritism

Comment – August 16, 2017

ATT is evolving on a daily basis, so we do our best to adjust the pay structure in order to give you the best commissions possible. We know that mistakes in pay have occurred in the past and we rectified the situation as soon as possible. We do have an assets protection department and we would encourage you to please email us at CCIdirectors@gmail.com so that we can investigate the stealing and the fraud that you mentioned. We also have a tip line you can call to report theft and fraud: 866-959-0951. Either way you contact us, we will be sure to keep it anonymous.