Custom Ink Employee Reviews

very strange company culture
Business Development/Store Manager (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAOctober 19, 2018
its like they are all under a spell which blocks out common sense, in general some people seemed very nice, but others seemed to be unaware of what the world was like outside of their cubicle
Fun place to work
Automated Screen Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 4, 2018
I would have still been working there if I didn't have to relocate for spouses job. Great environment. Great people, and I loved the diversity. They even provide lunch two days a week!
Custom Ink is a great place to work.
Quality Control (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 3, 2018
I enjoy working at Custom Ink. I particularly enjoy the people I work with. They encourage team work and seem to hire people who will work well together. The benefits are great, better than you'd expect. The management team is very supportive. There is a high level of stress. You are constantly given "feedback" in the form of daily numbers, including your mistakes, comparing you to all other workers in your position. You are paid a bonus based on your numbers and there are often obstacles, beyond your control, that limit your bonus (can be frustrating).
Pros
Benefits, Great People, Pay
Cons
Pressure/Stressful, Need to Improve their production system
Amazing place to work!
Manual Printer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 16, 2018
Custom Ink is hands down one of the best print shops, and best places in general that I have worked. If I didn't have to move out of state I wouldn't be leaving. Your goals are very clear, and every attempt is made to ensure you reach those goals. The benefits and perks are also great. The culture and atmosphere at Custom Ink are unparalleled.
Shinny on the outside dirty on the inside
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXSeptember 12, 2018
As I first walked into my interview at the Custom Ink production facility in Flower Mound, I was told of the great things Custom Ink had to offer. Great benefits, time off, fun planned social outings, and more. So I was super excited when I got the job, never mind the fact that I had waited almost a month for that call. I had a great trainer but I quickly found out that it was not as happy of a place I was led to believe. A disagreement with authority was treated as conflict. Team member coaching was not a priority. If a person was making mistakes it was up to the team members around them to coach and train the new employee. The only discipline action taken involved performance plans for production numbers. So basically if a team member was cutting a lot of corners but still hitting goal it was a non issue even if they made other associates job's ten times harder by cutting the corners. When I first moved to a different department that needed help, I noticed an issue with one of the chemicals, I was told they are taught to let the team correct it and it will work out. It appeared as if this whole team didn't know what their chemicals were supposed to look like so were not equipped to fix the problem that was intended to fix itself. That was my first sign to start looking for other streams of income. I have a more classic approach to supervising. I make sure my team is properly trained and have the tools they need to perform well. The production team at Custom Ink are not trained well, things change fast which is ok if you get the same needed information to the team quickly,  more... they change something in the morning tell one person and the change is supposed to be successfully implemented with verbally telling one person. The benefits and environment are great for millennials but to the point where everything from pay to social engagements are geared towards twenty somethings. You know you're working for a great company when you watch all the executives get wasted with a bunch of twenty year olds at a company event to the point the facility asks you all not to come back. So if you're a millennial who is good with just doing what you are told and not thinking for yourself its great. If you are an experienced supervisor trained to look for issues, correct them, then train the team how to deal with it in the future, then coach employees as needed, you're not going to fit in to this culture look elsewhere trust me. I have learned some things there, most of them are how blind and irresponsible supervisors can be when the only goal is profit and the team is irrelevant. Good for a paycheck, not good for your moral compass if you have one.  less
Pros
Free Lunch, Little to no supervision, cheap benefits if you're single, inexpierienced supervisors
Cons
No advancement, no clear way of earining a raise in pre production roles, inexpierenced supervisors
Fun place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAAugust 22, 2018
Managers are clueless. Fun environment. Lots of unorganized employees across all locations. Lots of young people. Lots of racial discrimination. No real growth opportunities for people of color.
Horrible Work Environment
Singles Satisfaction Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAAugust 4, 2018
Thought it would be a fun place to work, but the management team was horrible. Not supportive at all, and one manager even came to work after getting high.
Pros
free snack and food
Cons
management
Some great some not so much
Sales REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 30, 2018
Management really exclaims that they care about its employees and to use the "golden rule" but they really lack it more themselves.
The number of times I heard about how shady the managers are the less I feel comfortable about the workplace. Employees are overworked and aren't getting rewarded for the hard work they do for taking 30 plus calls a day with no breaks.
No raises are given, just bonuses. The most recent bonus structure was difficult so not a whole lot of employees were qualified for a bonus which made it difficult wanting to stay. They recently changed it so that won't be an issue again which is nice.
The fact that some people were shamed for taking their regular 15-minute break after a stressful day before was unnecessary and unprofessional. The fact that a manager rolled her eyes at an employee during a meeting about possibly everyone getting a raise was unprofessional. The management at Customink is shady and unprofessional.
The benefits and the paid leave are unheard of so it's the greatest perk about this company. It is just frustrating that when employees leave, the managers get angry that the employees are using all of their paid leave before they go.
The customers are pretty great and you learn a lot about how to handle escalades and learn how to help the customer by understanding their frustration. I loved that I learned I can handle those calls calmly when it happens.
Pros
Free lunch, benefits, 401k, co-workers, Paid Leave/holiday pay
Cons
micromanagement, no raises, lunch isn't that yummy, unprofessional setting
Never work for Help Desk
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 5, 2018
Never. The job is not difficult but management is vastly incompetent and does not follow his own TD (HR) protocol. He is unfair and retaliatory - do not recommend.
Poor Management
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 30, 2018
Management will ask employees for feedback in their surveys, but will then punish you for being respectfully honest about any issues involving their friends. There are many cliques in management and they will let a lot of unethical behavior fly, as long as your cool with the people in charge.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Great place to work if you not looking for a career
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMay 28, 2018
A typical work week includes getting fed twice a week. Tuesdays area light snack and Thursdays are a full lunch. The culture is very nice. They hire a good group of people. The hardest part about the job is them letting you know the day of for overtime. You may have plans to do something that evening and u have to stay for overtime. If you do not fit the inker model you will not be a good fit for the workplace. Colored hair, Gauges, Tattooes, Piercings.
Doesn't feel personal anymore, align themselves with companies like Walmart.
Digital Artist (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 17, 2018
Used to love this job when I was first hired, very good health insurance, plenty of vacation time. But planning vacations/getting time off started to become a much more complicated process and we can no longer take large chunks of time off (unless it's a summer or winter break sort of deal, which means you go unpaid). Management has become disconnected with their teams, feels impersonal. Very glad to not work here anymore.
Pros
Free lunches once a week. 4 weeks paid vacation.
Cons
Over reach, not a lot of room for creativity.
Small workplace
Screen Printer (Former Employee) –  Brandon, FLApril 29, 2018
Everything was done in partnership with custom ink. Work in garage printing shirts and boxing and shipping off to customers, long hot days in the garage but quick money.
Great place to be
Digital Print Operator (Former Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXApril 20, 2018
You get many benefits by working for this company they also really care about their employees. If you can get a job here it's definitely worth holding on to!
Pros
Free lunch 2x a week
Great Start to More
Sales and Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVApril 5, 2018
If you are looking for a company where you can get a good footing on your leadership path, Custom Ink is the company for you. As long as you are proactive in seeking out growth and development exercises, you will be given opportunities to hone your skills. Advancement is limited and far between; due to to the size any how many people, the likelihood of being chosen for a position higher up is low.
Great Environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 26, 2018
Custom Ink is a great environment to work in. To start the pay is great however over time you realize there is not much room for advancement unless you are lucky to be in leadership.
Pros
Free lunches
Training
Production Printer (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 25, 2018
This company a great place to work for but management needs some work. The culture is great but looking into more opportunity in the workplace but a great place to work.
Pretty Easy Going
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 21, 2018
The work environment is positive and they do a good job making sure employees are happy. T-shirts are printed for many events that give purpose to the job. Would definitely recommend to a friend.
Pros
Amazing benefits
Cons
Short breaks
Value determined by commision
Sales and Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 17, 2018
Custom Ink in the sales department rewards only employees who are bringing in the most money. In the past it has been about working as a team and collectively moving the company towards success. Now it's much more cut throat and competitive which isn't the kind of atmosphere I personally would like to be involved in.
Pros
free lunch once a week
Cons
reprimanded when 1 min late to work or back from 30 min lunch
Fantastic work place, but be upfront about any mental illness ASAP
Sales & Service (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 31, 2018
CustomInk is hit and miss. If you're working in the office for sales or service, this will be a call-center job. There are no scripts but do know you will need to hit a certain amount of calls and emails per day (generally) to ensure you keep your job. There's an incredible amount of training before you deal with customers, so do know you won't be walking in blind.

Please be warned that if you go on a success plan, they will tell you repeatedly it isn't serious but PLEASE take it seriously. If you don't manage to complete that successfully, then you have to do an action plan which can result in firing at the end. (Getting fired is AGONIZING if you actually enjoy working at CINK, but they do allow you to hide your shame and get your stuff during later hours when hardly anyone but leadership is there.)

Also if you have any form of mental illness, even if you don't feel like you need accommodations, go get accommodations. The insurance is amazing, so if whoever you go to is covered the visit to get the note for accommodation won't be anything more but effort.
Pros
Free lunches Tuesdays and Thursdays, amazing co-workers, fun activities, amazing benefits, LONG training
Cons
All about sales now, stressful work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Custom Ink. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

4.0InHerSight Score

4.0Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

4.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight