Customs and Border Protection Employee Reviews

The "In" Crowd
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 20, 2018
If you are not a member of the "In" crowd, CBP OIT will become where your career goes to die. Regardless of abilities, opportunities and advancement is at the discretion of those in power.
Pros
Strong focus on mission
Cons
Executive management, office culture
awesome
Immigration Officer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 13, 2018
really awesome place to work if you have to. The burritos were excellent during breaks and the churros were also very good. I learned quickly to be careful at the vending machines they had a tendency to fall over.
Mexico Border
Federal Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMay 9, 2018
This position consisted in working a traffic bridge or boarder inspecting travelers from another country. You would carry out new laws and regulations from Higher up .
Good Pay Terrible Management
C B P Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 25, 2018
27 year veteran of Southern Land Border. I worked Passenger Processing, Airport, Seaport etc.. The first 15 years under the U S Customs Service were great! The last 12 were not under Homeland Security.

Under DHS the Agency is mired with incompetent Management (uneducated) promotional program is Friends, Family and EEO not necessarily in that order. Severe understaffing and lack of resources is crippling agency. Long hours; forced overtime and relocations also impacts quality of life!
Pros
Good pay/ benefits
Cons
Hours; understsffing
Productive career
Federal Agent (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 31, 2018
It was a full 25 years of service and enjoyed ever part of it. Good Management and experience. .Would recommend others to start early in it. Also better choice than military.
Pros
Great career.
Cons
Lot of work and time invested in this creer field.
H igh Demand and constant change on project
Field Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 15, 2018
My work day work start from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on dealing with personnel issues, audit projects, changing priorities. No adminstrative assistance on office resources needed. Out of pocket cost with no reimbursements. Review of audit operations of more than 100 ongoing audits being performed by staff auditors. Attending meetings and offering guidance and technical advice on complex issues. Trying to maintain productivity with many employees working in a virtual enviroment. Incompetence management at the upper level with no leadership skills.
Pros
Liberal Leave / Vacations Policy
Cons
12 hours work days only paid for 8 hours, no compensation for extra hours worked.
Unlimited opportuinity for advancement and challenges
Air Enforcement Agent (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 5, 2018
Working with CBP has proven to be a most rewarding opportunity.
The opportunity to advance has been limited only to the amount of initiative and work one is willing to engage in. I have had an incredible variety of roles tapping into previous skills that I never thought I could apply in the role I was hired for. I have operated heavy equipment, welded, programmed encryption into radios, designed proximity sensors, provided technical assistance in security devices, trained bicycle patrol agents, conducted pursuit driving courses, and much much more. In every instance, managers were receptive to advance anyone who had anything to contribute in any capacity.

My conception of government had steadily changed since I began taking on such a variety of roles that were unrelated to my job description, but ultimately contributed to our mission. It has been rewarding and eye opening to work in CBP as a Border Patrol Agent and later as an Air Enforcement Agent.
Pros
Promotional Potential
Cons
Political inteerference with Core Missions
Great Experience and learning opportunity
Bilingual English-Spanish CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattel WAJanuary 31, 2018
It is a great place to work for, but management is poor as individuals managing employees are not always held at a high standard and instead are enabled to harass, and disrespect subordinates creating a low morale environment at work which can lead to safety concerns because most employees carry guns and deal with domestic and international public constantly.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Agency has grown too fast leading to poor management and low morale
Good salary and health benefits
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lorton, VAJanuary 29, 2018
Most managers are put into their positions through friendships, not merit. They don't care about your personal life and will send you on unnecessary extended TDY's. Congress will use you as a bargaining chip to advance their partisan agendas and legislation.
Pros
Pay, pension and health benefits
Cons
Poor management and executive leasership
Horrible place to work
Border Patrol Agent (Former Employee) –  Portal, NDJanuary 16, 2018
The pay was excellent but the management was your typical micromanaged government operation. If you like this type of a work atmosphere its hiring all the time.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Inventory Management Specialist, Asset Management (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJanuary 9, 2018
Lots of changes with new Management, Jobs evolve and roles are changing constantly. Very business and a professional work place. I would recommend this place.
cbp
CBP TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 1, 2018
Good place to work, as a new employee I had to wait 10 months for my security clearance. Management is very flexible, and understandable with their employees.
work in dusty enviorment
warehouse (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaDecember 28, 2017
its a dangerous environment too much chemicals in the air we have respirators but it still a bad place to work because there is dust getting in anyway
Pros
gave a ham to us for christmas
Cons
gave a turkey for thanksgiving
Great Career
Supervisor CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2017
While sometimes stressful and cut throat it is a great career and pay is awesome. The benefits are great and job security is a major plus. There also many chances for advancement.
Travel is everyones business
Trainee Inspector (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 2, 2017
Served a trainee so most of my time experience was learning and studying to become a full time officer of rank with the Department. The pay was decent for a trainee/coop position.
10 years says a lot!
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
I worked for Customs and Border Protection for ten (10) years. I worked four 10 hour days and two of those days I was able to work from home, which allowed a strong work-life balance. The office was very laid back and I didn't feel like nor mind coming into the office.
Pros
Gym, Work-life balance
A job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 6, 2017
It's the federal government. Every job has it's ups and down, however, management make a difference in that respect. It is easier to remain dedicated when you have management that has your back.
My job with US Customs and Border Protection is empowering
Agriculture Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 10, 2017
Working with CBP opens your eyes and exposes you to things that the general public does not see on a daily basis. It gives you a better perspective on things especially world travel and how our world is so much interrelated and interdependent.
great
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJuly 31, 2017
its a great experience they give you hands on training but its only good training if you are under the age of 21 so its good when you kinda want to persue a career in law enforcement
Productive and fun work environment
Officer (Former Employee) –  Rio Grande Cy, TXJune 20, 2017
During the course of my 18 year career in service is was awarded many comondations by the office of field operations and by the United States headquarters.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Customs and Border Protection. Our community is ready to answer.