Customs and Border Protection Employee Reviews

Mission driven. Very exciting and rewarding place to work
MANAGEMENT AND PROGRAM ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 8, 2019
Mission driven. Very exciting and rewarding place to work. Family oriented. Provides you opportunities for growth. Training is always available and tuition reimbursement options. Ensures that employers are keeping up with certifications and they promote career development.
Pros
Telework
Cons
Pay
Honest and Ethical Workplace
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 8, 2019
A typical day involves reviewing current position vacancies and determine the best recruitment option; reviewing applicant eligibility and qualifications for positions applied to; provide selecting officials with a list of eligible and qualified applicants according to law, policy and procedures; assist selected new hires with the on-boarding process.
Senior Special Agent (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 7, 2019
Due to the nature of my previous work, I am not at liberty to discuss any form of work that I preformed while a worker with CBP/ICE/INS.
All my work was top secret.
Pros
confidential
Cons
confidential
Cut throat,micro management
U.S. CUSTOMS INSPECTOR (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJanuary 2, 2019
No family life, management is terrible and will try and make your life miserable. Bad working conditions and no training or advancement. Hard to transfer.
Pros
Cons
No breaks
Sr. EDI Analyst (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 4, 2018
Definitely well run. Enjoyable work environment. Management was usually hired from within. Online classes are offered to stay abreast of new technologies.
CBP was a great place to work, but at the time I felt it was time to retire to take care of family .
Entry Branch Chief (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 30, 2018
I managed a two Supervisors who oversaw teams of 7 to 8 staff each. We performed routine tasks as well and analytical activities. I gave presentations to staff and to the public a varying settings and group sizes. I was briefed of objectives which I then would coordinate with the staff to implement. I gave feedback on outcomes/results. I worked to achieve the Department of Homeland Security's objectives. Organizing community outreach programs were sometimes the hardest part of my job as it required scheduling staff and facilities to accomplish our goals while adhering to budget constraints. I enjoyed the satisfaction of fulfilling my roles and responsibilities to the highest achievable standards.
Pros
Good people and meaningful work
Cons
I was on call which would impact my time off, but this wasn't something I could or wouldn't deal with in a professional manner.
Productive and fun place to work while providing opportunities for advancement.
Border Patrol/Marine Interdiction Agent (Former Employee) –  McAllenBrownsville, TXOctober 24, 2018
Best job ever. Gave me a shot at a career and balanced family life together with good pay and retirement benefits. A great place to show off your talents as an employee and manager.
Senior SEcurity Specialist and Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 16, 2018
Remove this review from your records. I can not adequately speak on this because I was working for a contract service provider at CBP not at for CBP. Your automated system would not let me leave this page.
Great stepstone into Law Enforcement
Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92173October 14, 2018
Customs and Border Protection is a great foot in the door to law enforcement. Coming from a healthcare background, the academy taught me the skills I needed to keep myself and my fellow officers safe.

A typical day at work would consist of processing travelers into the United States. Enforcing customs, immigration and agricultural laws.

Workplace culture is very diverse. From your fellow officers to the traveling public.

Hardest part of the job is if you get drafted (assigned overtime) unless you like the money.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the benefits, the pay, work with great people.
Pros
Benefits, pay, great locations to choose from
Cons
When the port needs you, they'll call you. Not really a con if making extra money doesn't phase you
Good quality
Customs Officer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 8, 2018
Stable employment with good benefits. Good co-workers and good working environment. Supervisors can be very supportive and allow you to do your job effectively.
Hard work for those who like the job. Great hide out for those who don't like the job.
Supervisory Air and Marine Interdiction Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 4, 2018
Great carrier to start with however too many high positions given to people who don't have the neccesary experience to do the job they are supposed to do.
Fast Paced Environment
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30354August 27, 2018
I currently work at the International Terminal at Hartsfield Jackson Airport. The past is very fast as you will deal with international customers all day and assist them with exiting the airport or to make a connecting flight. I am the administrative assistant for the Port Director and the job is very competitive. However, since I am not a Customs and Border Protection Officer, there is very little room for advancement and positions are usually given to the officers or CBP technicians.
Pros
Stability
Cons
No career advancement
Very productive, learning experience and environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJune 1, 2018
Learned a lot as an intern worked with gfx design dept, Traning Dept, and Testing Team. The culture was very diverse the hardest part was just getting the harder projects out the way.
Productive and Fun Work Place
FOIA Officer & Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21202May 24, 2018
I loved working at Customs and Border Protection. The management staff was very fair and worked with their employees. I would definitely want to work there again.
Pros
Promotions
Cons
Can't think of any
The "In" Crowd
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 20, 2018
If you are not a member of the "In" crowd, CBP OIT will become where your career goes to die. Regardless of abilities, opportunities and advancement is at the discretion of those in power.
Pros
Strong focus on mission
Cons
Executive management, office culture
awesome
Immigration Officer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 13, 2018
really awesome place to work if you have to. The burritos were excellent during breaks and the churros were also very good. I learned quickly to be careful at the vending machines they had a tendency to fall over.
Mexico Border
Federal Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMay 9, 2018
This position consisted in working a traffic bridge or boarder inspecting travelers from another country. You would carry out new laws and regulations from Higher up .
Good Pay Terrible Management
C B P Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 25, 2018
27 year veteran of Southern Land Border. I worked Passenger Processing, Airport, Seaport etc.. The first 15 years under the U S Customs Service were great! The last 12 were not under Homeland Security.

Under DHS the Agency is mired with incompetent Management (uneducated) promotional program is Friends, Family and EEO not necessarily in that order. Severe understaffing and lack of resources is crippling agency. Long hours; forced overtime and relocations also impacts quality of life!
Pros
Good pay/ benefits
Cons
Hours; understsffing
Productive career
Federal Agent (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 31, 2018
It was a full 25 years of service and enjoyed ever part of it. Good Management and experience. .Would recommend others to start early in it. Also better choice than military.
Pros
Great career.
Cons
Lot of work and time invested in this creer field.
H igh Demand and constant change on project
Field Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 15, 2018
My work day work start from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on dealing with personnel issues, audit projects, changing priorities. No adminstrative assistance on office resources needed. Out of pocket cost with no reimbursements. Review of audit operations of more than 100 ongoing audits being performed by staff auditors. Attending meetings and offering guidance and technical advice on complex issues. Trying to maintain productivity with many employees working in a virtual enviroment. Incompetence management at the upper level with no leadership skills.
Pros
Liberal Leave / Vacations Policy
Cons
12 hours work days only paid for 8 hours, no compensation for extra hours worked.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Customs and Border Protection. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2