Customs and Border Protection Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work while providing opportunities for advancement.
Border Patrol/Marine Interdiction Agent (Former Employee) –  McAllenBrownsville, TXOctober 24, 2018
Best job ever. Gave me a shot at a career and balanced family life together with good pay and retirement benefits. A great place to show off your talents as an employee and manager.
Senior SEcurity Specialist and Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 16, 2018
Remove this review from your records. I can not adequately speak on this because I was working for a contract service provider at CBP not at for CBP. Your automated system would not let me leave this page.
Great stepstone into Law Enforcement
Officer (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92173October 14, 2018
Customs and Border Protection is a great foot in the door to law enforcement. Coming from a healthcare background, the academy taught me the skills I needed to keep myself and my fellow officers safe.

A typical day at work would consist of processing travelers into the United States. Enforcing customs, immigration and agricultural laws.

Workplace culture is very diverse. From your fellow officers to the traveling public.

Hardest part of the job is if you get drafted (assigned overtime) unless you like the money.

Most enjoyable part of the job is the benefits, the pay, work with great people.
Pros
Benefits, pay, great locations to choose from
Cons
When the port needs you, they'll call you. Not really a con if making extra money doesn't phase you
Good quality
Customs Officer (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 8, 2018
Stable employment with good benefits. Good co-workers and good working environment. Supervisors can be very supportive and allow you to do your job effectively.
Hard work for those who like the job. Great hide out for those who don't like the job.
Supervisory Air and Marine Interdiction Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 4, 2018
Great carrier to start with however too many high positions given to people who don't have the neccesary experience to do the job they are supposed to do.
Fast Paced Environment
Secretary (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30354August 27, 2018
I currently work at the International Terminal at Hartsfield Jackson Airport. The past is very fast as you will deal with international customers all day and assist them with exiting the airport or to make a connecting flight. I am the administrative assistant for the Port Director and the job is very competitive. However, since I am not a Customs and Border Protection Officer, there is very little room for advancement and positions are usually given to the officers or CBP technicians.
Pros
Stability
Cons
No career advancement
Very productive, learning experience and environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJune 1, 2018
Learned a lot as an intern worked with gfx design dept, Traning Dept, and Testing Team. The culture was very diverse the hardest part was just getting the harder projects out the way.
Productive and Fun Work Place
FOIA Officer & Paralegal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21202May 24, 2018
I loved working at Customs and Border Protection. The management staff was very fair and worked with their employees. I would definitely want to work there again.
Pros
Promotions
Cons
Can't think of any
The "In" Crowd
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 20, 2018
If you are not a member of the "In" crowd, CBP OIT will become where your career goes to die. Regardless of abilities, opportunities and advancement is at the discretion of those in power.
Pros
Strong focus on mission
Cons
Executive management, office culture
awesome
Immigration Officer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 13, 2018
really awesome place to work if you have to. The burritos were excellent during breaks and the churros were also very good. I learned quickly to be careful at the vending machines they had a tendency to fall over.
Mexico Border
Federal Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXMay 9, 2018
This position consisted in working a traffic bridge or boarder inspecting travelers from another country. You would carry out new laws and regulations from Higher up .
Good Pay Terrible Management
C B P Officer/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 25, 2018
27 year veteran of Southern Land Border. I worked Passenger Processing, Airport, Seaport etc.. The first 15 years under the U S Customs Service were great! The last 12 were not under Homeland Security.

Under DHS the Agency is mired with incompetent Management (uneducated) promotional program is Friends, Family and EEO not necessarily in that order. Severe understaffing and lack of resources is crippling agency. Long hours; forced overtime and relocations also impacts quality of life!
Pros
Good pay/ benefits
Cons
Hours; understsffing
Productive career
Federal Agent (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXMarch 31, 2018
It was a full 25 years of service and enjoyed ever part of it. Good Management and experience. .Would recommend others to start early in it. Also better choice than military.
Pros
Great career.
Cons
Lot of work and time invested in this creer field.
H igh Demand and constant change on project
Field Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 15, 2018
My work day work start from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on dealing with personnel issues, audit projects, changing priorities. No adminstrative assistance on office resources needed. Out of pocket cost with no reimbursements. Review of audit operations of more than 100 ongoing audits being performed by staff auditors. Attending meetings and offering guidance and technical advice on complex issues. Trying to maintain productivity with many employees working in a virtual enviroment. Incompetence management at the upper level with no leadership skills.
Pros
Liberal Leave / Vacations Policy
Cons
12 hours work days only paid for 8 hours, no compensation for extra hours worked.
Unlimited opportuinity for advancement and challenges
Air Enforcement Agent (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 5, 2018
Working with CBP has proven to be a most rewarding opportunity.
The opportunity to advance has been limited only to the amount of initiative and work one is willing to engage in. I have had an incredible variety of roles tapping into previous skills that I never thought I could apply in the role I was hired for. I have operated heavy equipment, welded, programmed encryption into radios, designed proximity sensors, provided technical assistance in security devices, trained bicycle patrol agents, conducted pursuit driving courses, and much much more. In every instance, managers were receptive to advance anyone who had anything to contribute in any capacity.

My conception of government had steadily changed since I began taking on such a variety of roles that were unrelated to my job description, but ultimately contributed to our mission. It has been rewarding and eye opening to work in CBP as a Border Patrol Agent and later as an Air Enforcement Agent.
Pros
Promotional Potential
Cons
Political inteerference with Core Missions
Great Experience and learning opportunity
Bilingual English-Spanish CBP Officer (Former Employee) –  Seattel WAJanuary 31, 2018
It is a great place to work for, but management is poor as individuals managing employees are not always held at a high standard and instead are enabled to harass, and disrespect subordinates creating a low morale environment at work which can lead to safety concerns because most employees carry guns and deal with domestic and international public constantly.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Agency has grown too fast leading to poor management and low morale
Good salary and health benefits
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lorton, VAJanuary 29, 2018
Most managers are put into their positions through friendships, not merit. They don't care about your personal life and will send you on unnecessary extended TDY's. Congress will use you as a bargaining chip to advance their partisan agendas and legislation.
Pros
Pay, pension and health benefits
Cons
Poor management and executive leasership
Horrible place to work
Border Patrol Agent (Former Employee) –  Portal, NDJanuary 16, 2018
The pay was excellent but the management was your typical micromanaged government operation. If you like this type of a work atmosphere its hiring all the time.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Inventory Management Specialist, Asset Management (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJanuary 9, 2018
Lots of changes with new Management, Jobs evolve and roles are changing constantly. Very business and a professional work place. I would recommend this place.
cbp
CBP TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 1, 2018
Good place to work, as a new employee I had to wait 10 months for my security clearance. Management is very flexible, and understandable with their employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Customs and Border Protection. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2