Cycle Gear Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Fun
Shift Manager, Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93726July 31, 2018
I enjoyed my time here, but it was time to move on to bigger and better things. I just disliked how everyone is a "salesman" and their merchandise cheapened over time.
A lot is expected of you with little to no bonuses
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newhall, CAJuly 27, 2018
This was one of the worse jobs I've ever had. I am an extremely hard and committed employee however it was not the employees like myself being rewarded. The pay rate and hours for this job are great for very young people who are looking for a first job. It's a great place to gain experience in the work force but horrible for someone who has established themself and need a decent paycheck to survive. I was Assistant Manager for a year but never made more than $14.50. New employees were being brought in at $13.50 so there is really no point of taking on the responsibilities of ASM if you are going to be treated and paid like a brand new employee. Cycle Gear will make you work almost every holiday without overtime pay, seems like something I should have gotten an attorney for...
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay, late hours, low quality benefits
Nice place to work
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 13, 2018
Good place to work. I got a lot of customer service experience. The work in invironment is friendly and learning how to deal with customers was much needed.
Pros
Work around motorcycle gear
Cons
Doesn’t pay as high as I would like
Tedious
SALES REPRESENTATIVE/MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAJune 12, 2018
Lots of time to find little work, the company didn't seem to care for employees who strive in such environments. Instead focus on sales sales and again more sales
Fun for motorcycle enthusiasts
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 25, 2018
It's a fun job for sales associates because you get to talk to customers about motorcycles all day. You pick up a lot of knowledge on many different styles of bikes and the types of accessories they can have. The pay isn't the best, but employees do get discounts on products, which is a big bonus for employees who own a motorcycle. Store managers for individual stores are extremely hard working, but they are severely under compensated for the amount of work that they perform.
The atmosphere is a fun working environment though, and is an interesting retail job.
Pros
Discounts, fun coworkers
Cons
Mandatory 30 minutes breaks, low pay for management
No advancement
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Contra Costa County, CAMay 22, 2018
Regardless of what is said, there is no advancement once you become a store manager unless you have been there for years. District Manager positions are offered to the suck ups and corporate positions are offered from those that live in the area. Pay is decent once you get to manager level, but that depends on where you work. Don't live in a higher class area than where your store is, you are paid for store location.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 1, 2018
All employees did work well as a team and always was a fun environment to work in, everyone was willing to work as a team to get every task done. Management was fair and worked well if anything was needed from employees.
Pros
Discounts and fun customers
Cons
Lack of ability to move up in company
Friendly place
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 30, 2018
You must have knowledge on motorcycles to work there, that's what the culture there is based around. Everyone is in a good mood most of the time. Low stress, very friendly, a willingness to help those who are struggling.
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 6, 2018
Not much room for advancement, staff no always willing to work together to provide a good work environment. Not alot of room for advancement. Not a place to recommend.
Amazing place to work and grow
RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Benicia, CAMarch 22, 2018
Amazing company to work for, amazing leadership, and beyond amazing chances for advancement. If I had the opportunity I would remain at Cycle Gear.

I believe that the culture of the company is a combination of old school and new age thinking, I also believe that the various executives are super experience and also are great teachers and see a lot in their employees.
Pros
Amazing company, great growth, great learning experience
Fun most of the time
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 11, 2018
While I did enjoy my time at Cycle Gear as a job, Management there played favorites quite a bit. Allowing some employees to do as they saw fit, and having others pick up the slack.
Overall I would say 3 out of 5 stars
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Benicia, CAMarch 2, 2018
I worked there for about 4 years in the corporate office. Job culture was great. Workload, cutting corners, stressful and toxic environment, toxic management ... not so great.
Pros
Cons
Lots
Awesome management love it here
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCFebruary 21, 2018
I like cycle gear. Working for them has made me enjoy motorcycles more, the management and environment at work is awesome. I feel like there are not many things that I would change!
Pros
The chance to help another rider
Cons
Want more hours
cycle gear
Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 30, 2018
I enjoyed the customer service aspect, and working with motorcycles. I worked 6 days a week, and left to find better work/life balance. Cycle gear did not offer that
Corprate Manager
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Benicia, CADecember 26, 2017
Upper corporate managers have their choices of who they want promoted based on if you kiss their butt enough. Even if you are the hardest most productive employee your opinions get ahead unless you do as you are told with no value to your own opinion
Pros
Discount
Cons
No concept of famly verses work
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CADecember 21, 2017
This job was very rewarding. The customer base is fantastic and you will hear lots of cool stories. The job is competitive but at the same time not overwhelming.
Pros
pay, customers, and experience
Cons
need more employees
Great for a student and motorcycle enthusiasts.
Key Holder/Sales Lead (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 30, 2017
Not much room for career advancement; minimum wage + commission if you are full time and you meet your monthly sales goals. Foot traffic and time of year has a heavy affect on this.
The people that work there are great and down to earth. typical retail customer clientele, you have your regulars, and most people that walk in are easy to help out and talk to, but some can be difficult.
The hardest part of the job for some people is dealing with high volumes of customers or getting to know the products, because there is such a a large volume of brands, and styles etc.
The best part of the job is helping people out who have a same common interest as you.
Pros
good discount, learning about the motorcycle industry
Cons
not much room for career advancement.
Good Stuff for Motorbikes
Director of Stores (Former Employee) –  Benicia, CANovember 28, 2017
If you love motorcycles this is a fun place to work. Good strong team culture and very competitive environment. Innovative approach to retail sales.
Laid back environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 25, 2017
All about customer satisfaction

Pros:
Strong team morale
Friendly competition between departments and stores
Laid back environment; drama free
Flexible scheduling
Good management
Awesome benefits and discounts

Cons:
Low pay
Relaxed enviornment but with little to no career advancment opportunities
MERCHANDISER (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 20, 2017
As a merchandiser, one is heavy in charge and involved in the day to day operations of the company. Whether recieving, shipping, or making sure all products in store are marked and tagged correctly, the merchandiser plays a heavy role in the day to day operations. Most enjoyable part of the job is the customers. The culture is that what you would expect at any retail job. Unfortunately i dont believe cycle gear takes care of any of their employees except for those at the top. Theres no competetive pay, very little structure for training and all training and systems are beyond dated.