Cycle Gear Employee Reviews

Best place to work
Human Resources - Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Benicia, CANovember 26, 2018
Cycle Gear was bar none one of the finest companies I have ever worked for. Amazing management, amazing culture. If I did not have to move across the country I would still be employed at Cycle Gear.
Cons
Fun place for motorcycle enthusiats, but low pay and poor upper Mgmt.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 26, 2018
I am an older sales professional with an extensive background in: sales, marketing and consulting. I also have advanced degrees so this was not my first rodeo..

I took the job with few expectations and primarily because I love sales, people and motorcycles and wanted a fun 2nd job with no stress.

For me working at Cycle Gear is like going to an adult candy shop every day and most of the time it is very fun atmosphere and provides an enjoyable low stress work environment.

The Pros: I would recommend the job for anyone who loves people, loves to sell and does not want a high stress job.

The Cons: This is not a job for anyone looking to support themselves or create a career.

Reasons: Pay is very low (minimum wage) and even the sales incentives (commission) are very low even when you obtain the higher status of "Gear Expert"

Corporate management has one expectation and that is to pay their employees little to nothing in exchange for great sales results.

The problems with Cycle Gear stems from Corporate marketing and communication with their stores.

From what I have seen corporate does a poor job with offering actual sales events and focuses the bulk of the sales on their in-house brands.

Don't get me wrong these brands are both great entry level lines of apparel. However, when it comes to helmets, typically 70% of the store inventory is the house brands that don't sell well and are low quality.

Instead of house brands, it would be nice to see a larger inventory and selection of brand names that consumers recognize, need and want. It would also
  more... behoove C.G to create sales events that feature the big name brands and not just focus on their two in-house brands.

Unfortunately corporate Mgmt. is out of touch with the needs and wants of the stores and provides them no input as the what inventory is provided or needed. That's a problem because it's the stores that obtain the day-in and day-out contact with the consumer and listen to what they want and need.

In a nutshell the people in the store make it a fun and enjoyable place to work but the lack of support from corporate makes it frustrating and ultimately causes many good employees to leave in search of finding higher paying and more rewarding work.
Pros
Fun and good people at the store level
Cons
Corporate is ut of touch with the stores
Cycle Gear is an EXCELLENT place to work!
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 25, 2018
I worked for this company twice, starting as a merchandiser and working my way up to Assistant Store Manager, and loved every second of every shift with the company! Great atmosphere, benefits, and an excellent corporate structure!
Pros
Great benefits and employee discounts
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Pretty fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WA 98002October 16, 2018
Before being bought out by a large corporation this was a fairly fun place to work. I was hired on right after the purchase during the transition from employee owned to corporation. About a year after they stopped doing their riders relief fund, I was paid back for everything I put into it. We had a great team leader who was very encouraging and knowledgeable and made it an enjoyable place to work. On the days that we had meetings they would pay for food and drink, typically pizza, and meetings were never long. Discounts are fantastic and great for when you need to work on a bike or get new gear. Pay was minimum wage with very small commissions most certain gear. The brands they push aren't the best quality. I was also very disappointed to see the lifetime warranty disappear on the sedici brand. Occasionally, I got sexist remarks on the job from customers (me being female) but it did happen. Overall, when you love all things motorcycle this is a great job with great customers and coworkers.
Pros
Discounts, motorcycles
Cons
Pay, winter/rainy day sales goals can be hard to make
Fun work environment with customers that love their sport.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 15, 2018
This was a great job in a field that I enjoy and continue today. Motorcycle riding is a lifestyle sport that can be shared with anyone with the love for the sport. It was great to interact with the customers daily and help with technical support.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No pay raises or advancment available.
Fun to work with bikes
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 9, 2018
It is fun to be in the industry if you have a passion for bikes. It teaches you good sales skills and people skills. Pay is not to bad once you bonus.
fun to talk about bikes
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 8, 2018
Atmosphere is nice and its fun to talk about bikes. I think it lacks in the pay for the work that is required but bonus are nice. If you like bikes and a fun place this might work for you
Customers and Co workers make it fun
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CASeptember 7, 2018
It is competitive because you have to reach your sales goal but it isn't to crazy because once you or someone else reaches their goal for the day, they usually help others. Bike night is also pretty fun to work during.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Managers
Relaxed with spurts of quick pace
Assistant Manager/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bridgeton, MOAugust 7, 2018
Great place to work and wonderful benefits but management could use some work, great people just work ethics need a tune up. Benefits and discount is wonderful but the pay could use work.
Pros
Discount, relaxed environment
Cons
Short breaks, long hours
Fun
Shift Manager, Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CA 93726July 31, 2018
I enjoyed my time here, but it was time to move on to bigger and better things. I just disliked how everyone is a "salesman" and their merchandise cheapened over time.
A lot is expected of you with little to no bonuses
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newhall, CAJuly 27, 2018
This was one of the worse jobs I've ever had. I am an extremely hard and committed employee however it was not the employees like myself being rewarded. The pay rate and hours for this job are great for very young people who are looking for a first job. It's a great place to gain experience in the work force but horrible for someone who has established themself and need a decent paycheck to survive. I was Assistant Manager for a year but never made more than $14.50. New employees were being brought in at $13.50 so there is really no point of taking on the responsibilities of ASM if you are going to be treated and paid like a brand new employee. Cycle Gear will make you work almost every holiday without overtime pay, seems like something I should have gotten an attorney for...
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Low pay, late hours, low quality benefits
Nice place to work
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 13, 2018
Good place to work. I got a lot of customer service experience. The work in invironment is friendly and learning how to deal with customers was much needed.
Pros
Work around motorcycle gear
Cons
Doesn’t pay as high as I would like
what you make it to be
Assistant Manager/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDJune 28, 2018
I would work for Cycle Gear again given the right circumstances when things were right they were great but my experience there was bad due to management 4 store managers in 17 months none of them training me correctly which lead o me learning on my own on top of that I was forced into the acting store manager role and told I would be trained to be manager but it never shortly after being getting a pay increase which I was told was the high in the company at the assistant manager level as a show of good faith they hired another store manager who was suppose to train me but instead the store went in a different direction
Pros
if you love bikes its a great place to be, great way to build friendship, great employee discount once you achieve your training goals
Cons
hours, if you have a family
Tedious
SALES REPRESENTATIVE/MERCHANDISER (Former Employee) –  Gilroy, CAJune 12, 2018
Lots of time to find little work, the company didn't seem to care for employees who strive in such environments. Instead focus on sales sales and again more sales
Fun for motorcycle enthusiasts
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 25, 2018
It's a fun job for sales associates because you get to talk to customers about motorcycles all day. You pick up a lot of knowledge on many different styles of bikes and the types of accessories they can have. The pay isn't the best, but employees do get discounts on products, which is a big bonus for employees who own a motorcycle. Store managers for individual stores are extremely hard working, but they are severely under compensated for the amount of work that they perform.
The atmosphere is a fun working environment though, and is an interesting retail job.
Pros
Discounts, fun coworkers
Cons
Mandatory 30 minutes breaks, low pay for management
No advancement
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Contra Costa County, CAMay 22, 2018
Regardless of what is said, there is no advancement once you become a store manager unless you have been there for years. District Manager positions are offered to the suck ups and corporate positions are offered from those that live in the area. Pay is decent once you get to manager level, but that depends on where you work. Don't live in a higher class area than where your store is, you are paid for store location.
Fun work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  OhioMay 1, 2018
All employees did work well as a team and always was a fun environment to work in, everyone was willing to work as a team to get every task done. Management was fair and worked well if anything was needed from employees.
Pros
Discounts and fun customers
Cons
Lack of ability to move up in company
Friendly place
Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 30, 2018
You must have knowledge on motorcycles to work there, that's what the culture there is based around. Everyone is in a good mood most of the time. Low stress, very friendly, a willingness to help those who are struggling.
Sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 6, 2018
Not much room for advancement, staff no always willing to work together to provide a good work environment. Not alot of room for advancement. Not a place to recommend.
Amazing place to work and grow
RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Benicia, CAMarch 22, 2018
Amazing company to work for, amazing leadership, and beyond amazing chances for advancement. If I had the opportunity I would remain at Cycle Gear.

I believe that the culture of the company is a combination of old school and new age thinking, I also believe that the various executives are super experience and also are great teachers and see a lot in their employees.
Pros
Amazing company, great growth, great learning experience
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cycle Gear. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about