Cycle Gear Employee Reviews

Former ASM. Horrible job if you value yourself
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Newhall, CAMay 8, 2019
I worked for Cycle Gear for over a year. The only thing they cared about was you meeting their outrageous sales expectations. If you had 2 bad months, you were fired. If you didn't sell the add-ons for that month, you got a write up. If you were anything less than perfect, you got written up. They pay bare minimum, don't give overtime, don't give you any PTO. They don't advertise and then complain that you aren't selling enough. They ask you to do management level work and only pay you minimum wage. Even as a manager I was making only a dollar over minimum wage, and they acted like they were doing me a FAVOR paying me that much. The commission structure they have is bogus too. If you sell $2000 of stuff, you get 10 bucks from it. It's not even worth it to be the top sales guy. They have a special rating if you exceed your goal by 20 percent for 3 months STRAIGHT and only THEN is the commission decent. Nobody in my store was able to manage that in the time that I worked there.
Pros
Discounts is the ONLY plus to this job
Cons
Everything about this company is a con.
Very Unprofessional Management
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 29, 2019
The manager is extremely unprofessional - foul language with every sentence and has a cynical, negative attitude. She is not to be trusted. The office environment is poor. There is no training at all for the responsibilities of the job.
Pros
None that I can think of
Cons
Horrible Management and Office Atmosphere
Learned
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMarch 14, 2019
*typical day at work is either being on your phone bs, organizing the area, call orders.
*I only learned where to put the mech while i was there and never was taught about the mech i only listened and repeated it.
*I only had a Assistant manager while i was there , and never really had the chance to sell mech to family memebrs because he wasnt there , hence why i got terminated
*Hardest thing about the Job is remembering each mech pros and cons,
*The only enjoyable part of the job is talking to the customers and really being a big help.
Pros
discount on parts
Cons
learning.
Sales Specialist
Opening Closing Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMarch 9, 2019
opening store
turning alarms off
opening safe
counting cash drawers
helping new hires to learn opening and closing store procedures
Motorcycle riders for motorcycle riders
not having enough stock on hand
special order from United States locations for customers
Pros
discount on gear
Cons
limited health care
Interesting enviroment
Assistant Manager / Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 11, 2019
Fun place, a little bit more relaxed than other retail. The most upsetting aspect is that with it being retail, theft is a major problem. Definitely a good mix of clientele.
Pros
Super fun, relaxed.
Fun Company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Redding, CAFebruary 6, 2019
Cycle gear offers and fun and exciting environment. They offer on hand training and are committed to creating a safe environment.They also prefer to hire within which allows growth in the company.
Pros
Great place to work, room for growth
Cons
Pay is low
Easily Replaced
Associate (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 22, 2019
Do not want to pay what an associate is worth and if you make any kind of waves will find another person to take the position. Just looking for sheep.
Slow many times
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 17, 2019
Bottom line...sell something to everyone. One of the store managers showed favoritism towards certain employees, turned the blind-eye on theft and failed to hold that employee accountable.
Pros
Decent discounts on certain products
Cons
Hours depend on your productivity
Fun place to work with good management put in place by fantastic training options.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GAJanuary 8, 2019
Cycle gear was a great place to work and I’m proud to have spent five years of my life there. Career advancement was rewarding and the environment was exceptional. They offer many benefits to store managers.
A typical day at work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Benicia, CADecember 28, 2018
Working for Cycle Gear for only two years was a good experience for me because I learned how to do inventory, scan and distribute, do receiving, train new employees in the scan line, and help unload trucks that where carrying motorcycle accessories. Basically I was working for Cycle Gear distribution center in Benicia, California. It was a warehouse that was filled with motorcycle parts and accessories that had to be counted, scanned, and sent to different Cycle Gear store locations. Every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I would have to work the scan line and distribute different motorcycle parts and accessories and send them to different Cycle Gear store locations. On Thursdays and Fridays I would be working in the inbound department counting a pricing motorcycle parts and accessories. Here how it works: Let's say that a truck filled with motorcycle helmets that come to the warehouse needs to be unloaded. Then after unloading of the helmets; the helmets are then counted, priced tagged, and put away on metal racks by forklift drivers, after that when it is ready to be distributed for the following week the forklift drivers pick up the helmets and place them on the rollers ready to be scanned and distributed to any Cycle Gear store locations in the U.S. However; even though it easy to unload, price tag or scan the product. We have to also watch out for any defective parts or accessories that might be sent to a Cycle Gear store because we want to make the customer happy and the company happier.
Pros
Working as a team, having benefits, and staying safe because it was warehouse
Cons
Cycle Gear Distribution Center relocating and separating a good team
Cycle Gear
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 18, 2018
Motorcycle gear and accessories sells.
Customer centric
Team oriented.
Lack of District Leadership support. Biased leadership from high levels to district.
Pros
Motorcycles
Cons
Leadership
Great to learn knowledge about the industry
Store manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesDecember 16, 2018
Big company with great connections in the industry. Poor management with terrible pay hourly + commissions but they start just above minimum wage. No true help in the store from upper management. When it comes to customer service the store is great customers do get a great value.
Pros
Industry knowledge, discount, customers
Cons
Management, pay, hours
Best place to work
Human Resources - Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Benicia, CANovember 26, 2018
Cycle Gear was bar none one of the finest companies I have ever worked for. Amazing management, amazing culture. If I did not have to move across the country I would still be employed at Cycle Gear.
Cons
Fun place for motorcycle enthusiats, but low pay and poor upper Mgmt.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 26, 2018
I am an older sales professional with an extensive background in: sales, marketing and consulting. I also have advanced degrees so this was not my first rodeo..

I took the job with few expectations and primarily because I love sales, people and motorcycles and wanted a fun 2nd job with no stress.

For me working at Cycle Gear is like going to an adult candy shop every day and most of the time it is very fun atmosphere and provides an enjoyable low stress work environment.

The Pros: I would recommend the job for anyone who loves people, loves to sell and does not want a high stress job.

The Cons: This is not a job for anyone looking to support themselves or create a career.

Reasons: Pay is very low (minimum wage) and even the sales incentives (commission) are very low even when you obtain the higher status of "Gear Expert"

Corporate management has one expectation and that is to pay their employees little to nothing in exchange for great sales results.

The problems with Cycle Gear stems from Corporate marketing and communication with their stores.

From what I have seen corporate does a poor job with offering actual sales events and focuses the bulk of the sales on their in-house brands.

Don't get me wrong these brands are both great entry level lines of apparel. However, when it comes to helmets, typically 70% of the store inventory is the house brands that don't sell well and are low quality.

Instead of house brands, it would be nice to see a larger inventory and selection of brand names that consumers recognize, need and want. It would also
  more... behoove C.G to create sales events that feature the big name brands and not just focus on their two in-house brands.

Unfortunately corporate Mgmt. is out of touch with the needs and wants of the stores and provides them no input as the what inventory is provided or needed. That's a problem because it's the stores that obtain the day-in and day-out contact with the consumer and listen to what they want and need.

In a nutshell the people in the store make it a fun and enjoyable place to work but the lack of support from corporate makes it frustrating and ultimately causes many good employees to leave in search of finding higher paying and more rewarding work.
Pros
Fun and good people at the store level
Cons
Corporate is ut of touch with the stores
Cycle Gear is an EXCELLENT place to work!
ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AROctober 25, 2018
I worked for this company twice, starting as a merchandiser and working my way up to Assistant Store Manager, and loved every second of every shift with the company! Great atmosphere, benefits, and an excellent corporate structure!
Pros
Great benefits and employee discounts
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Fast pace, crew with knowledge of motorcycles and off-road
Merchandiser/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTOctober 25, 2018
Cycle Gear was a great place to work. All the employees were great to get along with, had great knowledge with all things motorcycle, gear, and off-road.
Pretty fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, WA 98002October 16, 2018
Before being bought out by a large corporation this was a fairly fun place to work. I was hired on right after the purchase during the transition from employee owned to corporation. About a year after they stopped doing their riders relief fund, I was paid back for everything I put into it. We had a great team leader who was very encouraging and knowledgeable and made it an enjoyable place to work. On the days that we had meetings they would pay for food and drink, typically pizza, and meetings were never long. Discounts are fantastic and great for when you need to work on a bike or get new gear. Pay was minimum wage with very small commissions most certain gear. The brands they push aren't the best quality. I was also very disappointed to see the lifetime warranty disappear on the sedici brand. Occasionally, I got sexist remarks on the job from customers (me being female) but it did happen. Overall, when you love all things motorcycle this is a great job with great customers and coworkers.
Pros
Discounts, motorcycles
Cons
Pay, winter/rainy day sales goals can be hard to make
Fun work environment with customers that love their sport.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OROctober 15, 2018
This was a great job in a field that I enjoy and continue today. Motorcycle riding is a lifestyle sport that can be shared with anyone with the love for the sport. It was great to interact with the customers daily and help with technical support.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
No pay raises or advancment available.
Fun to work with bikes
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 9, 2018
It is fun to be in the industry if you have a passion for bikes. It teaches you good sales skills and people skills. Pay is not to bad once you bonus.
fun to talk about bikes
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 8, 2018
Atmosphere is nice and its fun to talk about bikes. I think it lacks in the pay for the work that is required but bonus are nice. If you like bikes and a fun place this might work for you

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cycle Gear. Our community is ready to answer.